Oceania Meet and Greet

Sailing away soon

I have called Oceania three different days at different times of day to ask how to arrange a Meet and Greet for our upcoming cruise. I explained that I understood Oceania does not provide anything but a location, date and a time. Every time I have been told that Oceania does not do that; the last person even went and asked a supervisor. I did a search here on Cruise Critic and read the different threads. I did not see any threads where some one organized a meet and greet since Oceania came under NCL. So Oceania experts how do I set up a Meet and Greet on Oceania.

Look on the 'Oceania Roll Call Forums'. Chat to people sailing on the same cruise. Then decide amongst yourselves where and when to meet. Quite often it's in a bar after the Muster.....just a suggestion. On your Roll Call there will be experienced Oceania cruise passengers who will be able to give you advice.:)

This is what I do

Get a list together with names & cabin number (I do not post these online)

Then when you get onboard ask the Concierge if they will send invites & arrange a space & time

or Just arrange to meet in Horizons or another bar after the muster drill

I take those stick on name tags & a marker for people to write their CC I.D. & real name ;)

Last cruise they did arrange for a sign

CIMG0020_zpsc87d7cb5.jpg

On our next cruise (1 April Trans Atlantic) the "Meet and Greet" has been organised by one of the passengers who knows what she is doing and has been in touch with Oceania...

You might look at our roll call and pick up some tips. I for one am grateful to her...

I have posted often enough on this topic but agree whole heartedly with Lyn. The problem with calling Oceania itself about M&Gs is that since they don't officially support them (although perhaps that will change with the NCL merger) the customer service people don't know how it really works.

But talking to the concierge once you board, armed with lists of your participants and their cabin numbers, makes it quite easy. If you are a small group, you can indeed do it on your own. On one early Oceania cruise where we were quite small (8-10 people as I recall), we just met for lunch at Waves but that wasn't really satisfactory in my opinion because we didn't really circulate. But cocktail hours have worked very well.

On one cruise where someone was ahead of us on a B2B, I gave HER the list to give to the concierge which gave them more time to figure out where and when it could/should be held.

Mura

I will follow all these suggestions.

Teri

Whenever I organize a M&G. The one of the first things I do when I get on board is go up to Horizons and seek out the food and beverage manager. He/she is very receptive to us meeting in one section, usually on the right side looking forward, near where they have the continental breakfasts just after the drill. That way they can have enough nibbles and staff on hand to provide the service. I then slip him/her a small gratuity. Sometimes they put up a sign, "Private Party or Cruise Critics." They usually move the furniture to allow for lots of mingling. Too many seats are not conducive to conversation. It is too static. You want people moving from group to group talking. If we have time before the trip we print the "Hello my name is:" sticky name tags. If not we have a few Sharpie's and a stack of blank tags on a table near where we meet. That has worked well for us on four different Oceania cruises.

Whenever I organize a M&G. The one of the first things I do when I get on board is go up to Horizons and seek out the food and beverage manager. He/she is very receptive to us meeting in one section, usually on the right side looking forward, near where they have the continental breakfasts just after the drill. That way they can have enough nibbles and staff on hand to provide the service. I then slip him/her a small gratuity. Sometimes they put up a sign, "Private Party or Cruise Critics." They usually move the furniture to allow for lots of mingling. Too many seats are not conducive to conversation. It is too static. You want people moving from group to group talking. If we have time before the trip we print the "Hello my name is:" sticky name tags. If not we have a few Sharpie's and a stack of blank tags on a table near where we meet. That has worked well for us on four different Oceania cruises.

+1 Bill, although you've phrased it more suavely than I ever could, particularly about the gratuity. ;)

As much as I have no objection to it, we have never had to slip something to the manager. They have always been very cooperative as part of their job.

Those of us who have organized M&G are usually well organized which makes their job easier.

Usually all we need is an closed off area of Horizons, an extra waiter taking drink orders(their profit!) and a sign. Sometimes they have provided munchies, sometimes not. The Concierge has also always been helpful.

You really have to play it by ear depending on the personnel involved.

Most of all, don't lose sleep over it. Its a very informal affair and you are on the cruise to enjoy yourselves!

Obviously one never "has to" tip, but lets try to keep in mind that from the Cruise Lines' point of view, Cruise Critics are asking for the same favors -on a gratis basis- on Cruise after Cruise after Cruise.

I don't want to put too fine a point on it, but people who are in Service have a word for people who continually ask for help without tipping, and we don't want Cruise Critics to be lumped into that club...

Just saying- :o

Edited by StanandJim

We left Miami on December 5th, and our M&G was arranged in advance with the ship. They were very cooperative, had a sign, etc., and had suggested that we do it at 10 AM the day after departure since that was a sea day. Oceania does work with CC groups all of the time, without much trouble. You might want to get a message to the CD on the ship to help get this set up. I have never understood the lack of communication with the customer service people who don't seem to know what the other half of the line does!

In all my years of planning M&G's on Oceania (and there have been many, starting with the first one in 2003), never has there been any problem getting Horizons,whether afternoon or early evening. Sometimes we have to change the time because there is something else going on. Early evening, there is happy hour, and we drink, so there is the "gratuity," I don't think anyone else I know who has planned an M&G has given anyone a "tip." There are signs for Cruise Critic people, and there is always someone from the staff there, e.g., cruise director, bar manager, even a general manager or two. We are a force to be reckoned with - last M&G in the summer had almost a hundred people!! Just go with the flow, plan your party and enjoy. The concierge is very helpful when it comes time to send the invitations out.

There are signs for Cruise Critic people, and there is always someone from the staff there, e.g., cruise director, bar manager, even a general manager or two. .

I would have to disagree

I have arranged several M & G via the Concierge & can say we NEVER had any staff there other than the waiters

The sign was usually "Private event" sign last meeting in Jan we did have the Cruise Critic sign as above

I agree the Concierge has been most helpful getting the space & invites

Lyn

I don't think anyone else I know who has planned an M&G has given anyone a "tip."

So what is the plan then, Tanny?

We're just supposed to ask the Concierge (or whoever) to help us, week in and week out, all through the year, and none of us EVER tips for the extra consideration?

We're just supposed to ask the Concierge (or whoever) to help us, week in and week out, all through the year, and none of us EVER tips for the extra consideration?

Hey guys,

You know, I know, the host never lets our guests know the details. It isn't right for the guests not to know. You tip discretely and you shut up. Things run smoothly as silk. You end up looking good. The venue looks great. Every time you go there they treat you like you own the place. So what's the problem?

Bill

Okay, I confess that I've always gone through the concierge and never thought of giving a tip. Nor have I needed to. Then again, I haven't gone directly to Horizons to set one up and if I did, maybe I'd consider a gratuity. On the other hand, I've spent a lot of time and money on my own to make up name tags and purchase lanyards, and never asked anyone to chip in.

I know there are people who tip in advance -- we don't, and haven't felt the need to do that either. Yes, we've often given extra to those who served us particularly well but always at the end of the cruise.

We've gotten excellent service always.

By the way, while Oceania doesn't officially host these things, on Marina at least (which is our last 3 cruises when I had at least two very crowded M&Gs), Oceania provided nibbles along with the drinks.

Mura

What need for extra consideration? We pay a higher fares than on other cruise lines for our cruises so that we get additional services. Since we are on an upper level line, or what ever you care to call it, we have paid for that service. Its not extra consideration, its them doing their job and they do it willingly and well.

I have never felt the need to tip extra for the services provided in the brochure and we have always had an enjoyable cruise. We do tip the butler for truly extra services but by having a butler we already pay a higher per day gratuity so I see no need to tip further for usual service. That being said our butlers have always gotten a small extra tip at the end of the cruise because of their service well beyond what we expected from them.

Hey guys,

You know, I know, the host never lets our guests know the details. It isn't right for the guests not to know. You tip discretely and you shut up. Things run smoothly as silk. You end up looking good. The venue looks great. Every time you go there they treat you like you own the place. So what's the problem?

Bill

Once again, you've nailed it, Bill. :D

Discretion is the better part of valor.

Yes, the concierge is there to assist in all ways. Do you tip him when he makes a phone call for you or gets you a taxi???. They will send out invitations when asked and you can read what Mura wrote, to which I concur wholeheartedly!! Does anyone give me a tip for taking the time to put this together, or tip the person who brings the name tags. We have gotten the best service every time we have had a Meet & Greet and YES, there are some staff who come and enjoy with us!! CC people are many in number and O knows that. For the past several cruises there as always been a sign in Horizons stating "Cruise Critic Private Party."

Last September on Riviera there were a large number of cc posters, many of us had tours or walks planned for group members. I had a list of all those on the roll call thread. Some had first names only with where they came from, some had also included their stateroom number.

I contacted the extremely helpful Concierge on embarkation day who gladly did detective work with my list and sent out invitations to a meet and mingle on a suitable day and time. He was in attendance issuing labels and he also organised some of the Officers to come along for a short time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does anyone give me a tip for taking the time to put this together, or tip the person who brings the name tags.

It isn't the same situation as arranging a meet and greet, but when my husband and I have benefitted from someone else's hard work arranging for a small group private tour, we've made sure to buy that person and her husband a glass of wine some time during the cruise. (It has always been the wife in our experience.) I'm sorry that the people who have benefitted from your meet and greet arrangements haven't done something nice for you.

It isn't the same situation as arranging a meet and greet, but when my husband and I have benefitted from someone else's hard work arranging for a small group private tour, we've made sure to buy that person and her husband a glass of wine some time during the cruise. (It has always been the wife in our experience.) I'm sorry that the people who have benefitted from your meet and greet arrangements haven't done something nice for you.

+2 from us. Well said. Exactly!