Explorer of the seas - refurbishment

Anyone know what the current broadway production is aboard Explorer?

Reckon it'll be the same after the refit?

Also, I hope Explorer OTS gets the new colour/style staterooms.

There is no Broadway production show on Explorer, and likely will not be. They do have 3 production shows entitled Flash Forward, Invitation to Dance, and Wild Cool and Swingin.

Edited by clarea

I hope this isn't true as the two-storey nightclubs are one of my favourite things on the Voyager/Freedom class ships. I'm sailing in October and will be mighty disappointed if it's not there anymore.

Worth noting that both Voyager & Mariner have recently had their revitalization and BOTH of those kept their gothic themed nightclubs.

Also the bit on Deck 4 is just a small balcony area onto the main nightclub on Deck 3.

Got my fingers firmly crossed that 'The Chamber' is still there when I go sailing in October!

Preach it! I really dislike what they've done to Voyager, taking away the old brilliant "vault" to replace it with inside cabins and move it to the lacklustre and uninspired bar "High Notes" that is currently on Voyager post refurb.

Thinking of cancelling Explorer of the Seas and going back to Carnival, at least they aren't killing their best public lounges off to squeeze in a couple of inside staterooms :rolleyes:

Sorry to resurrect this thread but does anyone know when the refurb is meant to be completed by?

Thanks.

First cruise out of the U.K. is 24th.April. Explorer is currently in dry dock in Cadiz. This really is a major service extending over some 30+ days. I have no doubt contractors will be working on the ship during her transit from Cadiz to Southampton.

Does anyone has experience with the new Q-category inside cabins on deck 3?

For our next sailing in November we have a Q-category on deck 6 (#6211 to be precise).

Should I change my cabin to the new ones on deck 3? Are they noisy because there are close to the Schooner bar for example?

Jasper

Cabin6211 not great location. Front of bow.

Would relook at deck 3 try mid ship

From what I've read, they are adding a FlowRider to Explorer by the time I cruise in Alaska 7/2016. It is advertised for that ship. Navigator got one a year or so ago.

Yes, it is going where they had a Roller Blade padded track at the Aft that was not used. Being done now in Dry Dock I presume.

Thanks for the pictures!

Looks like there is a tent over the forward Centrum skylight, perhaps the Solarium is getting a roof?

I would love it if she would get a roof. I know I wasn't even planning to bring a bathing suit for our next cruise due to the colder temps and questionable weather in the UK and Norway. It seemed that the more inclosed public spaces of the Radiance class ships were better for these itineraries.

The ones I am most interested in that are going in during the revitalization are the Flowrider, virtual balconies and the dynamic dining restaurants! Thinking of an Alaskan Cruise with them in 2016!

I would love it if she would get a roof. I know I wasn't even planning to bring a bathing suit for our next cruise due to the colder temps and questionable weather in the UK and Norway. It seemed that the more inclosed public spaces of the Radiance class ships were better for these itineraries.

I have always felt the lack of a retractable solarium roof and very few public area with seas views were the two biggest design flaws of the Voyager/Freedom classes.

The tent will be to protect the work going on underneath, usually painting the pools or replacing the resin deck surfacing. It has to remain bone dry or it'll ruin the surface, so they put a tent up. You see it a lot on ships going in for refits.

Very interested reading this thread as wasn't aware of some of the proposed changes.

Things I am glad about :-

adding flowrider - my teens loved this on Indy and this was the main reason we booked explorer rather than the more expensive anthem for our 2 week summer cruise, so glad this is going ahead was really worried RCI would change their mind

virtual balconies - we have a suite on deck 10 and interior cabin opposite so looks like my teens will have one of these (doubt it will make up lack of suite perks for them though!!)

Sad about :-

loss of nightclub (deck 3) - not that I went very often but we have persuaded my reluctant 19 year old daughter to travel with us - she loves clubbing so I am just hoping the new offering will be ok or she may moan she should have just gone to Maga!

deck space on deck 12 - I like to sunbathe on deck 12 forward as quieter than around pool and I refuse to get up at crack of dawn to get bed in solarium, this space no longer exists due to new cabins (may just have to lie out on balcony more often

That all said I am looking forward to my summer break with family in July, but first a little 3 night trip in 3 weeks on Anthem with hubbie. Oh how these next few weeks are going to drag.

We are on the May 26th sailing and have been allocated cabin 3626 which is not on the brochure I have and it appears on some new deck plans I have been sent by several good members from these boards.

Regards

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...
The ones I am most interested in that are going in during the revitalization are the Flowrider, virtual balconies and the dynamic dining restaurants! Thinking of an Alaskan Cruise with them in 2016!

Royal haven't said too much about the refit,but they have said that she wasn't getting Dynamic dining....Though she is getting new specialty restaurants like Izumi's, Chops Grille.