How Far In Advance Do You Tell Your Kids?

LuCruise

As you can see from my signature, we are going on the Allure in April of 2016. I'm super excited and can't wait to tell our kids (currently 9.5 and 5.5 years). We just returned form a great trip from Disney World. We promised we'd take them back again someday so our kids suspect that our next trip will be Disney (hope they aren't disappointed when we tell them about our cruise). We'll do little road trips over long weekends but nothing else planned in-between (Disney and the cruise are both $$$ and thus, the reason for the gap in-between them).

How far in advance do you tell your kids?

As you can see from my signature, we are going on the Allure in April of 2016. I'm super excited and can't wait to tell our kids (currently 9.5 and 5.5 years). We just returned form a great trip from Disney World. We promised we'd take them back again someday so our kids suspect that our next trip will be Disney (hope they aren't disappointed when we tell them about our cruise). We'll do little road trips over long weekends but nothing else planned in-between (Disney and the cruise are both $$$ and thus, the reason for the gap in-between them).

How far in advance do you tell your kids?

We tell our kids right when we book. They will periodically ask questions here and there but for the most part, they don't bring it up much. We are going on one this Feb and they knew about it before we booked back in May.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

"Pack your bags... We leave tonight!"

No pressures about a countdown. No worries of the kids advertising the home is vacant and ready for burgularies. You can tell them about the mouse after they get off the plane.

Edited by xlxo

Well when I take my kids and their kids I tell the grandkids right away. I fill their heads with all the fun and adventure of the trip. I leave nothing out. I feel that part of my pleasure of taking the family on a cruise is to have the grandkids bug the parents each and every day :D. It's the little pleasures in life LOL. I then make sure I mention it over and over and encourage them to bug their parents. Payback is a b*tch.

That's great that you tell them all right away. I so want to and let them share in the excitement, but we're not even at the year mark. When we went to Disney World mid October last year, we booked in February, and told them end August (so about 6-7 weeks before). We then got my DD a calendar so she could count down the days (my older one had one and he understood time better).

Another thing I should have asked...for those that told right away, how old are your kids? And how much in advance do you book?

Edited by LuCruise

Mine are currently 6 and 9. To add to my previous post, my kids also know about their upcoming Disney trip...in 2017. We told them, probably a year ago, that when they were 9 and 12 we would go back to Disney. We picked a time when everyone would be tall enough for the rides and we wouldn't need strollers or booster seats. We love to include the kids in the planning. They don't obsess about it like I do...lol...but they bring it up periodically and we talk about the plans and watch you tube videos about various aspects of the trip.

Mine are currently 6 and 9. To add to my previous post, my kids also know about their upcoming Disney trip...in 2017. We told them, probably a year ago, that when they were 9 and 12 we would go back to Disney. We picked a time when everyone would be tall enough for the rides and we wouldn't need strollers or booster seats. We love to include the kids in the planning. They don't obsess about it like I do...lol...but they bring it up periodically and we talk about the plans and watch you tube videos about various aspects of the trip.

That's great. So similar ages and booking in advance. I know what you mean...I obsess too but love the excitement of planning and knowing its coming (even if we have around 450 days to wait). I'm always mentioning some cruise related thing to DH daily (where he thinks I'm nuts since its so far away). Sometimes I think we should just tell them. We have a mini road trip in the spring so maybe at that time? Dh is the type who would love to tell them on the way to the airport but I'd rather let them have some time to be excited about it.

That's great that you tell them all right away. I so want to and let them share in the excitement, but we're not even at the year mark. When we went to Disney World mid October last year, we booked in February, and told them end August (so about 6-7 weeks before). We then got my DD a calendar so she could count down the days (my older one had one and he understood time better).

Another thing I should have asked...for those that told right away, how old are your kids? And how much in advance do you book?

Mine are currently 17 (18 tomorrow:)) and 20....however we have been cruising with them since they were 4 and 7 and I've always told them right away or before so they could help with the planning. I have booked anywhere from 3 months to over a year out on the 10 cruises we have taken them on.

Edited by Warm Breezes

The last time we cruised, I told them right when I booked (they were in the room), more than a year in advance. Honestly, I wish I had waited, and they did too. There was zero excitement for a long time. They were 9, 9, 11, 14, and 16 when I told them.

From now on, I will wait until closer to the sailing date. Years ago we surprised them the morning we left for WDW, and then DCL, and they liked that a lot more.

My kids are spoiled : )

We usually have our next trip all lined up before we even finish the first one. When we just got on Reflection, we already had our next trip to Universal Orlando booked for March. Before we left Reflection, we had also booked our next cruise on Silhouette.

Unless there is a big holiday coming like Christmas, we often hold on to the news to make it part of a gift.

My kids are 7 and 8 now, and have been very fortunate to go on at least one or two cruises for the last several years. When they were younger, I used to make countdown chains. I made them with all the Disney characters or DreamWorks characters, depending on the cruise. When we sailed Oasis, the countdown chain was not a huge hit, and we went weeks without pulling off any chains, so I haven't made them since then.

When they were younger, especially for the "character" chains, they used to fight to pull them off each night and also over who got to keep chain in their bedroom.

*sniff sniff*

I miss those days : )

My kids are spoiled : )

We usually have our next trip all lined up before we even finish the first one. When we just got on Reflection, we already had our next trip to Universal Orlando booked for March. Before we left Reflection, we had also booked our next cruise on Silhouette.

Unless there is a big holiday coming like Christmas, we often hold on to the news to make it part of a gift.

My kids are 7 and 8 now, and have been very fortunate to go on at least one or two cruises for the last several years. When they were younger, I used to make countdown chains. I made them with all the Disney characters or DreamWorks characters, depending on the cruise. When we sailed Oasis, the countdown chain was not a huge hit, and we went weeks without pulling off any chains, so I haven't made them since then.

When they were younger, especially for the "character" chains, they used to fight to pull them off each night and also over who got to keep chain in their bedroom.

*sniff sniff*

I miss those days : )

That's great that you've been on so many family vacations already. We did Disney World last year and I realized that our older one is 9 and that was our first real trip the four of us (plus a mini NY trip a few years back). And our kids are growing too fast, which is when I looked into cruises and we booked.

Cute with the character chains. We did a calendar and each night my DD would diligently cross off the day counting until we got to our day for our trip.

As mentioned, I've been so wanting to tell them. Funny enough, just after we booked, our son happened to watch Shrek 3, mentioned Kung Foo Panda..and we saw the new Madagascar movie (where, he hadn't seen DreamWorks stuff inawhile). I took it as a sign that we booked Allure. Guess that could have been a moment to tell them (if it wasn't 450+ days away!)

The last time we cruised, I told them right when I booked (they were in the room), more than a year in advance. Honestly, I wish I had waited, and they did too. There was zero excitement for a long time. They were 9, 9, 11, 14, and 16 when I told them.

From now on, I will wait until closer to the sailing date. Years ago we surprised them the morning we left for WDW, and then DCL, and they liked that a lot more.

You're pushing your luck expecting a 16-year-old to be nothing but thrilled when he's told that his holiday plans have been cancelled and he's not old enough to be consulted. You know your own child best, but you wouldn't want the morning of departure to be taken up trying to find out to which friend son has gone off in huff!

I always looked forward to holidays, and can't imagine how any child wouldn't. And if you don't tell your children when you're taking them on holiday, perhaps they won't tell you when they're shunting you into a home. :(

We tell our kids right when we book. They will periodically ask questions here and there but for the most part, they don't bring it up much. We are going on one this Feb and they knew about it before we booked back in May.

Ditto...mine are so darn spoiled (I think this next cruise is their 10th) :o that they just roll with it. It also gives us time to talk about what we would like to do in each port and make plans.

I even tell my kids before we book! Their first cruise they helped plan they were 11 & 9. They knew about it about 14 months before hand.

2nd cruise they helped plan they were 12 & 14. Close to 20 months before we sailed.

This cruise they will be 13 & 17. I haven't even booked yet, and won't probably for another month. This cruise will be in August, the least amount of time they have to wait!

The reason I tell them is so they can help plan. To be honest my youngest son is the only one who will actually help me. DH and oldest just don't care enough to plan. I want to give them at least some input into what we are doing. I pick out things I think they would like and then let them narrow it down to what we will do.

I am also the type of parent who lets them have a say in everything as much as possible. I don't go grocery shopping without consulting them as to what they might want to eat for dinner that week.

for the cruise I have booked in 2016 they know already and are doing part of the planning. Mostly because we are tying in disneyworld.

But for the cruise that leaves this march I told them today. Gave they a choice of 60 minutes or 60 days. they took 60 minutes and they were given one clue a minute for 60 minutes. they figured it mostly out about half way through but it was still fun.

My nephews are almost 11 and 5.5. We are cruising in April, and they know nothing other than the fact that we are taking a train somewhere. I just clear it thru their mom, and threaten her with a slow, painful death if she tells them. They still bug her about when do they leave, and does she know where we're going, and on and on. Personally, I love seeing that silly grin on their faces when they finally figure out where or what we're doing. The oldest has been dropping some pretty serious hints that he's ready to go on another cruise, which has his brother asking exactly how old he has to be to cruise. I just keep telling the little guy "you just need to be a little bit older." Yea, like 82 days older, lol! :D

Love all the responses. Sounds like most of you tell when you book, or even before. What kinds of things do they help plan for a cruise? Is that more for the excursions? Cabin selection (but that has limits depending on the budget)? Otherwise, its just pre-booking the meals an shows for ships such as the Allure. And I think we'll sign up for the character breakfast.

PS -

for the cruise I have booked in 2016 they know already and are doing part of the planning. Mostly because we are tying in disneyworld.

But for the cruise that leaves this march I told them today. Gave they a choice of 60 minutes or 60 days. they took 60 minutes and they were given one clue a minute for 60 minutes. they figured it mostly out about half way through but it was still fun.

I love the fact that you have a cruise before you have to wait for your 2016 one!

PPS - We'd love to return to Disney World someday so am thinking about the future to see if mixing a shorter cruise with a few says at the park would work. DW is so much fun (and definitely involves lots of planning)

Edited by LuCruise

Our twins are 5, and we've always told them when we book or before. Really, vacation booking is a dinner table discussion and we just don't hide it from them. They have yet to object to going on a cruise. :D That said, I don't think that they have a strong concept of the difference between 'next month' and 'next summer'. I guess the benefit of that is there is always something 'next' and they aren't groaning if it's 6 months away. They generally don't get too excited until a week or so before, and at this age they get as excited about a weekend getaway as a week long cruise. They can make an adventure out of anything. :)

Love all the responses. Sounds like most of you tell when you book, or even before. What kinds of things do they help plan for a cruise? Is that more for the excursions? Cabin selection (but that has limits depending on the budget)? Otherwise, its just pre-booking the meals an shows for ships such as the Allure. And I think we'll sign up for the character breakfast.

PS -

I love the fact that you have a cruise before you have to wait for your 2016 one!

PPS - We'd love to return to Disney World someday so am thinking about the future to see if mixing a shorter cruise with a few says at the park would work. DW is so much fun (and definitely involves lots of planning)

I usually narrow our options down to the ships that meet our timing and ask for input on what ship they would prefer. Then I look at excursions and give options for different ports. I did surprise our kids on the last cruise we took. DD had a friend with her and we upgraded from connecting OV rooms to connecting balcony rooms without telling them. DD and her friend went and found their room first and DD told her not to unpack because they must have wrong room since it had a balcony ;):p:D.

My nephews are almost 11 and 5.5. We are cruising in April, and they know nothing other than the fact that we are taking a train somewhere. I just clear it thru their mom, and threaten her with a slow, painful death if she tells them. They still bug her about when do they leave, and does she know where we're going, and on and on. Personally, I love seeing that silly grin on their faces when they finally figure out where or what we're doing. The oldest has been dropping some pretty serious hints that he's ready to go on another cruise, which has his brother asking exactly how old he has to be to cruise. I just keep telling the little guy "you just need to be a little bit older." Yea, like 82 days older, lol! :D
Wow are you a great Aunt. Your nephews will be thrilled.

We just told our kids yesterday about our upcoming Easter break cruise. We were going to tell them at Christmas (make it a gift) but things were up in the air for a bit. So we held off. We told the kids several months ahead before. It is nice to give them something to look forward to, but too long and it loses something.

Cruising Celebrity since 1993, with some other lines in the mix like NCL and Princess.

We just told our kids yesterday about our upcoming Easter break cruise. We were going to tell them at Christmas (make it a gift) but things were up in the air for a bit. So we held off. We told the kids several months ahead before. It is nice to give them something to look forward to, but too long and it loses something.

Cruising Celebrity since 1993, with some other lines in the mix like NCL and Princess.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking....tell them at Christmas time for April cruise (but that means keeping it for the next 11 months). I agree that the excitment of knowing its coming is great.

Your kids must have been excited when you told them yesterday. Only a few months now for you.

One thing I meant to include in my response yesterday, was that I installed the DREAMDAYS app on all our devices. DH and I have iphones and ipads, and the kids have ipads and ipods.

You can use it for birthdays, trips or other significant events. I copied an image of the silhouette from the internet, and the "app" countsdown to the event for us. By opening the app, I can see exactly how many days till my birthday, anniversary, our universal trip etc. I guess its the hi-tech countdown chain!

Every few days they will open the app, usually just before breakfast or dinner, and one if them will announce "299 days till we go on our cruise" or 41 days until harry potter. Or DH will ask the question and then one of them will go looking for an ipad to open the app.

My kids know about our cruise in April 2016, and have since we booked this summer. They are 10 and 8. They both asked if we could do a dolphin encounter and we told them that we didn't think it was in the budget this go round as we're doing a few days before and a few days after in FL. So they are saving up the money to do it! My 8 year old has already saved most of it! But I do keep a few little surprises for them that I will give as a gift for Christmas!