Californian Coastal - ports of call

WeeCountyMan

Just booked a Princess cruise this Spring which visits Santa Barbara, LA (Long Beach), San Diego and Ensenada, Mexico - departing and returning to San Francisco.

We're used to ports of call around Europe and the Caribbean where local small business tour operators wait at the port entrance to offer trips on a casual walk up basis.

Is this typically on offer in the above US ports ? Not too keen on the ship's excursions.

This is a whole new experience for us, so expert advice and guidance would be appreciated.

Edited by WeeCountyMan
spelling

San Diego No taxis waiting to sell tours.

Just outside the gate (look to the left), there is information center there. The people volunteering there can help you figure things out.

You can also purchase Harbor boat ride outside at a booth.

The Midway aircraft carrier Ship right next door and you can buy a tour either on line in advance or when you get off the ship.

It is a short walk to SeaPort village and a very nice walk along the waterfront to get there.There is also a tram when you get off the ship that can take you there.

In Santa Barbarba you can walk to a trolley to see the mission, courthouse historic area. In Ensenada its a short walk to the downtown area or shuttles are available really cheap. Do consider the 2 winery tour offered thru Princess.... It is a pleasant afternoon and everyone gets a bottle of wine to take onboard, alond with many tastings of wine and olive oils on tour

San Diego No taxis waiting to sell tours.

Just outside the gate (look to the left), there is information center there. The people volunteering there can help you figure things out.

You can also purchase Harbor boat ride outside at a booth.

The Midway aircraft carrier Ship right next door and you can buy a tour either on line in advance or when you get off the ship.

It is a short walk to SeaPort village and a very nice walk along the waterfront to get there.There is also a tram when you get off the ship that can take you there.

San Diego Sue doesn't San Diego have a hop on hop off trolley that will take you around to all the highlights of San Diego?

I'm going to second the suggestion of the 2 winery ships tour. We did it in the morning. The two wineries were different, but each very enjoyable and you do get a free bottle of wine at LA Cetto. The cost was very reasonable. Got back about 1:00pm and walked to the outdoor fish market where there are many small restaurants across the street that serve excellent fish tacos. In Long Beach , it's a short walk to the Queen Mary and then you can take a shuttle to the downtown area. We rented bikes in San Diego and biked around a shoreline path and then downtown. I live in CA and had been to all these ports before so we kept it low key and found it very relaxing. Enjoy!

Yes there is a hop off and on trolley. I didn't mention it because people confuse the word trolley with our transportation system which we call trolley but is on tracks and more like a train (takes you to Mexican border, or north to Old Town and beyond) etc.

You can buy tickets for the HOHO trolley in San Diego on line OR from Princess as an excursion.

It has been my understanding that if you buy the ships HoHo tour, it is sightseeing only and you are not allowed to get off....as it makes no stops. takes 2 hours to go around. If you buy the

regular" HoHo on line, you can get off and it is a few bucks cheaper than if you get it at the tolley stand.

Would this be it ?

http://www.city-discovery.com/san-diego/tour.php?id=7705

Does it go near the port terminal and can it be joined from the ship conveniently ?

Yes this looks like the one. The closest spot to pick it up in my opinion is the Maritime Museum. You can also walk down to the Seaport Village but I think the Maritime Museum is a bit closer. Maybe a 5 minute walk. Do you agree San Diego Sue?????

In the waterfront area of Long Beach' date=' go over to where the free trolley is. There's Shoreline Village, which has some nice restaurants. You can also take the trolley to the excellent Aquarium of the Pacific.[/quote']

In Long Beach take the free Passport bus. When you leave the Dome, go to the right, thru the village to the parking lot. The busstop is in the parking lot under the trees.

In Ensenada you can pick up a tour thru the shuttle company. Take the shuttle into town and listen to the tour info.

The wine tour is nice. The Bufadora is good during high tide. But there are pushy vendors to pass on your way.

To get a tour you can also walk into town and go to the tourist info booth. On the other side of Big Head Plaza, across from McDonalds.

Just booked a Princess cruise this Spring which visits Santa Barbara, LA (Long Beach), San Diego and Ensenada, Mexico - departing and returning to San Francisco.

We're used to ports of call around Europe and the Caribbean where local small business tour operators wait at the port entrance to offer trips on a casual walk up basis.

Is this typically on offer in the above US ports ? Not too keen on the ship's excursions.

This is a whole new experience for us, so expert advice and guidance would be appreciated.

Yes. That is the case.

As you already know, you can get pretty much the same tours cheaper by using the tour operators operating from the pier. You can be frugal with your $'s by doing that. Use caution if you are tempted to use the gypsy cabbies.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

It has been my understanding that if you buy the ships HoHo tour, it is sightseeing only and you are not allowed to get off....as it makes no stops. takes 2 hours to go around. If you buy the

regular" HoHo on line, you can get off and it is a few bucks cheaper than if you get it at the tolley stand.

That's the way it is in Santa Barbara, anyway. The ship tours do make one stop at the mission, with enough time allowed to visit the chapel, gift shop and restrooms. The balance of it is non-stop.

Not sure about San Diego, though.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Would this be it ?

http://www.city-discovery.com/san-diego/tour.php?id=7705

Does it go near the port terminal and can it be joined from the ship conveniently ?

We took that one. I bought the tickets ahead of time online. We got off the trolley in Balboa Park which has a lot of things to choose from including the zoo. We went to the aerospace museum. Just allow a lot of time because when the trolley comes back around it may be quite full and you may have to wait for the next one. It was a great way to see San Diego as an overview. We caught the trolley by the Maritime museum which is about 5 minutes from the ship to your left as you're facing the street.

I live in Southern California and have been to these cities many times. All of the suggestions have been great. In San Diego I like to take the ferry to Coronado. Runs on the hour and half hour. Ticket booth is to the left of the ship. There is a nice restaurant off to the left when you leave the ferry. Can sit outside and view all of San Diego. You can also take a short taxi ride to the famous Del Coronado Hotel. In Santa Barbara I would take the trolley tour. At the end get off at the wine tasting rooms. Great fun if you enjoy wine. If you do this through the ship they give you coupons for free wine tasting. Enjoy ! Wee Glasgow Women

We are going to be on the April 5th Star Coastal taking our kids. We have been to all of the cities we are visiting except Encenada. Great ideas on this thread. Thank you for sharing. This is our kids first cruise, and our third with princess (Our first was during the inaugural Star year). Looking forward to just being on the ship with our kids.

I have been to Ensenada on cruises many times and did not get off the ship. This past cruise in Nov. traveled with God Daughter that wanted to get off. I was surprised. I felt very safe and the locals were very nice. We did not eat or drink there so I can not comment on that.

If you don't feel like taking Princess excursions there are lots of alternatives available in the way of private tours for any of the west Coast ports if you don't mind spending some time doing research online. Unlike Europe you won't likely find much in the way of cabs willing to take you around the sights.

If you don't feel like taking Princess excursions there are lots of alternatives available in the way of private tours for any of the west Coast ports if you don't mind spending some time doing research online. Unlike Europe you won't likely find much in the way of cabs willing to take you around the sights.

I really feel that with a little bit of research, especially if you don't plan to stray off to some place such as Solvang that requires transportation, you can just go into many of these places and just sightsee. Get a guide book (there are so many for Southern California, and if you belong to the Auto Club, you can get their guide books for free -- ask for the Southern California one and the Northern California one). Google each city and you'll find tourism sites. Each one also has an official one (Santa Barbara, San Francisco, etc.) that will have plenty of info. If you want a full tour, then it might make sense to book a tour.