Extra outlet

rmh661983

This Belkin unit is what many of us use. It's worked on every ship we've been on for years -- haven't been on the Valor -- worked fine on the Conquest. The power prongs can rotate to fit just about anything

s0244883_sc7?$splssku$

Edited by CRUZBUDS

Yes, that Belkin one pictured above is highly recommend by people on there. Be sure to get the 2.1AMP one though -- so that you can fast-charge things like tablets, iPhones, Samsung S4/S5, and other higher-demand devices.

Here's a direct link to the one at Amazon for anyone interested for convenience: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ATZJ5YS/gtzso-20

It has 3 grounded plugs plus two USB ports for charging. (And it is a surge suppressor just in case.)

They also make a 6-outlet (plus 2 USB) model, but I'm not sure how well it would fit in all ships: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ATZJ606/gtzso-20

And, really, you shouldn't need 6 outlets plus two USB! You'd be pulling too much power anyhow probably.

So, I'd stick with the 3-outlet/2-USB version in the first link I posted. Runs around $21-$22.

- John...

Edited by JohnMI

People have lots of electronic gadgets these days. Sure, phone use may be expensive on ship so some might not use theirs -- but people are probably MORE likely to use (for a long time) things like Kindles and other book-readers.

So, I see a few reasons to have something like one of these:

1. With just two outlets, you can only charge two things at a time and that is IF you can fit both chargers on at the same time. Sometimes, this is difficult depending on the layout of the two outlets and the design of your chargers. Having something with just USB ports makes the layout of the outlets and the shape of your chargers not an issue.

2. Less things to pack as far as USB chargers go. Bring one outlet to do pretty much everything and you don't have to worry about individual USB chargers.

3. With the outlets not taken up by USB chargers, you can now actually plug something in. I'm fairly particular about my alarm clock, for example, so I actually bring mine and plug it in all the time. Other have night lights or medical equipment or other such things. Nice to be able to charge stuff while still having outlets readily available.

4. Finally, the built-in surge suppressor is a nice added bonus. Ship generated power can fluctuate quite a bit. LOTS of people now have $500+ phones (iPhone 6, Galaxy S5, and so on) and laptops. Even if you don't need any extra plugs, having a surge suppressed plug is likely worth the $21 investment all by itself.

- John...

Edited by JohnMI

I see... we do also, my other half and I have iPhones 6, and he also has a work cell and we both have iPads, but we charge them up the day before we leave and we never had a problem because they don't need to be charged up the same time. I guess though it is very smart to get one of those from amazon, thats what I will be doing now thank you.

Here is what the front looks like:

IMG_20150120_094635_zps5cc629e7.jpg

And the back:

IMG_20150120_094642_zpse6e9fd6d.jpg

I am looking into this b/c it is cheaper than the Belkin one and between my hubby, myself, my 2 kids, and the camp carnival I am sure I am going to need more than two plugs. I am just worried that b/c it needs to have 2 plugs in order to lay flat that it won't fit.

I don't think that will work, unfortunately.

Someone else will need to confirm for the Valor itself, but a lot of the ships have outlets something like this:

P1000588.JPG

That's from a cabin on the Dream and I THINK they are similar for the Valor.

As you can see, there would not be a spot for what you have. That's why so many people do the single-plug (and rotatable) Belkin model shown above.

- John...

Here is what the front looks like:

IMG_20150120_094635_zps5cc629e7.jpg

And the back:

IMG_20150120_094642_zpse6e9fd6d.jpg

I am looking into this b/c it is cheaper than the Belkin one and between my hubby, myself, my 2 kids, and the camp carnival I am sure I am going to need more than two plugs. I am just worried that b/c it needs to have 2 plugs in order to lay flat that it won't fit.

Get yourself a short extension cord, like this ...

52961.jpg

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&kpid=5296&format=2&p_id=5296&CAWELAID=1329450795&CAGPSPN=pla%26catargetid=320013720000062814%26cadevice=c&gclid=CPWl5eCyo8MCFVKPfgod9ZwAsA

or this (they are handy around the house too) ...

41r4GCB5bVL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/1-Foot-Extension-Power-Cable-5-Pack/dp/B000CRFOMK

I found an outlet that has 6 plugs and 2 sub ports but not sure if it will work in the Valor

Sent from my Huawei Y301A2 using Forums mobile app

I slide the mattress back, unplug lamp on my side & plug in my cpap, no ext cord across room, requires single adapter.

I will also say get the Belkin one! We bought it for a cruise, but use it constantly at home also. Plus added surge protection is always a good thing! Especially when you always have 3-4 things charging at home on it, and turning on the wrong combo of things blows a fuse!

Since we are a family of 4, we have a lot of things to charge! My iPad, Kindle for whoever is reading that, 2 GameBoys, 4 Cell Phones, my laptop (I am a student and have to do school work no matter where I am), and 3 camera batteries. Since my boys now both have their own cell phones (and use them mainly as MP3 players) I am probably going to get a 2nd Belkin one also just for around the house even.

Needing to charge 3 camera batteries is the real issue because who wants to leave the ship without fully charged camera batteries?! (Or in our case... 6 fully charged batteries but that isn't the point!).

Some of the bigger ones won't work, especially the ones that cover both outlets in a standard household version. Many ships have recessed outlets or other obstructions nearby that prevent them from plugging in. You need to take a short extension for most.

Edited by ray98

• 2 months later...
This Belkin unit is what many of us use. It's worked on every ship we've been on for years -- haven't been on the Valor -- worked fine on the Conquest. The power prongs can rotate to fit just about anything

s0244883_sc7?$splssku$

Hey! For anyone interested, this specific Belkin 3-outlet plus 2-USB surge protector that is often recommended here is Amazon's Deal of the Day (April 6, 2015)! It is the one that provides 2.1amps for the USB ports (instead of the standard 1amp) so that you can charge things like iPhones, iPad, Galaxy phones, and so on that require the higher amperage. And the single plug swivels and locks at ANY position -- which is what makes it so nice for so many cruise ships! You can find it here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ATZJ5YS/gtzso-20

Normally it is $21.99 on Amazon -- today it is only $14.99 (shipped for free if you have Prime) -- and that makes it even cheaper than the 1amp version!

I had just bought one for our last cruise about a month ago after it was recommended here and really liked it. So I thought I'd pass around the info on the sale.

It ends just over 13 hours from the time of this posting. Just FYI.

- John...

Edited by JohnMI

s0244883_sc7?$splssku$

I've used my Belkin for years. Never found any outlet it wouldn't work on.

I'm on the Valor in Jan 2016 and will use it there.

Hey! For anyone interested, this specific Belkin 3-outlet plus 2-USB surge protector that is often recommended here is Amazon's Deal of the Day (April 6, 2015)! It is the one that provides 2.1amps for the USB ports (instead of the standard 1amp) so that you can charge things like iPhones, iPad, Galaxy phones, and so on that require the higher amperage. And the single plug swivels and locks at ANY position -- which is what makes it so nice for so many cruise ships! You can find it here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ATZJ5YS/gtzso-20

Normally it is $21.99 on Amazon -- today it is only $14.99 (shipped for free if you have Prime) -- and that makes it even cheaper than the 1amp version!

I had just bought one for our last cruise about a month ago after it was recommended here and really liked it. So I thought I'd pass around the info on the sale.

It ends just over 13 hours from the time of this posting. Just FYI.

- John...

Darn it! Already sold out :(

Yeah, sold out now, sorry -- and now offered by another Amazon Merchant at $29.99.

If you still want one, I would recommend that you wait until Amazon gets them back in stock themselves -- because then they should at least be $21.99 (or less) instead of the $29.99 that they are right now.

- John...

I slide the mattress back, unplug lamp on my side & plug in my cpap, no ext cord across room, requires single adapter.

What ships have you done this with? I have asked about this and was told that the lamp didn't plug into a convention electrical outlet. Can you tell me what kind of outlet you have seen? This would be a great discovery, not having to run a cord across the room!

Kim

What ships have you done this with? I have asked about this and was told that the lamp didn't plug into a convention electrical outlet. Can you tell me what kind of outlet you have seen? This would be a great discovery, not having to run a cord across the room!

Kim

Quite possibly a 220v. Either European two prong or British

Yeah, sold out now, sorry -- and now offered by another Amazon Merchant at $29.99.

If you still want one, I would recommend that you wait until Amazon gets them back in stock themselves -- because then they should at least be $21.99 (or less) instead of the $29.99 that they are right now.

- John...

Staples has them for $18 (oh, oops. thats the 1 amp one)

Edited by Lisichka