Amsterdam Accommodations - Advice Needed

Hello,

We're two couples spending 5 days in AMS pre-cruise. We're hoping to rent a 2 br apartment through AirBNB. I've done some thorough searching and there is decent availability, however I'm not certain where/which neighborhoods would suit us best. We plan on seeing the major sites, visiting the museums, getting off the beaten track a bit and perhaps day tripping into the countryside on a couple of days. We're fit and can walk or bike around town without issues. My initial thought was to stay inside the canal belt. Is that a wise choice? There is a lot of availability in Jordaan, near Vondelpark and even in the Pijp area near Albert Cuypmarkt. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stephanie

Great areas to stay, if you use trams and/or bikes (be careful) for transport you'll be fine. Vondelpark would be my last pick, especially off the city sides of the park but that's just personal, a bit far out compared to the others and overcrowded in summer/sunny days. Budget and/or less or more tourist crowds would be the decision maker I guess.

A day trip is very easy to do, just get on a train from the Central Station or any other station nearby that has a intercity train service ("Sprinters" are all stop services).

Public transport planner for NL: http://9292.nl/en

Dutch railways: http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home

So is it better to be inside the canal belt, near Dam for example, or on the west side on one of the other inner canals, or to be outside that belt in Jordaan or south of the museums on the west side? Are most areas safe? Is there one area considered more centrally located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is it better to be inside the canal belt, near Dam for example, or on the west side on one of the other inner canals, or to be outside that belt in Jordaan or south of the museums on the west side? Are most areas safe? Is there one area considered more centrally located?

Amsterdam is very compact and walkable but stay inside the belt on any of the canals in order to really feel the city rather than spend your time on trams getting back and forth.

Hello,

We're two couples spending 5 days in AMS pre-cruise. We're hoping to rent a 2 br apartment through AirBNB. I've done some thorough searching and there is decent availability, however I'm not certain where/which neighborhoods would suit us best. We plan on seeing the major sites, visiting the museums, getting off the beaten track a bit and perhaps day tripping into the countryside on a couple of days. We're fit and can walk or bike around town without issues. My initial thought was to stay inside the canal belt. Is that a wise choice? There is a lot of availability in Jordaan, near Vondelpark and even in the Pijp area near Albert Cuypmarkt. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stephanie

You also may want to consider a houseboat for something different. Lots available in the canal ring area. We have a few friends that have rented them for our upcoming cruise in September.

You also may want to consider a houseboat for something different. Lots available in the canal ring area. We have a few friends that have rented them for our upcoming cruise in September.

Thanks for that. I've looked, but am having a hard time finding one with 2 private bedrooms and bathrooms!

• 1 month later...

I have emailed over 40 hotels looking for large number of rooms for April 2016 but all way over our budget. Wanted to stay close to dam centre or central station but guess that's not possible; all range over $300.

We are seniors; not use to riding subways and trams so need it to be as easy as possible. Will be in Amsterdam 3 days prior to cruise.

Read that we should stay inside the belt on any of the canals in order to really feel the city rather than spend your time on trams getting back and forth.

I agree with this statement so can anyone direct me to area or names of hotels that I should contact.

Any advice is certainly appreciated. Thanks

I have emailed over 40 hotels looking for large number of rooms for April 2016 but all way over our budget. Wanted to stay close to dam centre or central station but guess that's not possible; all range over $300.

We are seniors; not use to riding subways and trams so need it to be as easy as possible. Will be in Amsterdam 3 days prior to cruise.

Read that we should stay inside the belt on any of the canals in order to really feel the city rather than spend your time on trams getting back and forth.

I agree with this statement so can anyone direct me to area or names of hotels that I should contact.

Any advice is certainly appreciated. Thanks

You might be a bit early for 2016 bookings

Try priceline you can usually get 4 or 5 * for about $100USD or less

by bidding but I would wait a bit before bidding

You can read up on Better bidding dot com for what people paid this yr for hotels in the area

We have stayed at Barbizon Palace $101 & Movenpick $75 both close to Centraal Station area

Thanks; often use priceline and bidding sites if only 2-3 couples but we all want to stay together and too many people now to use those sites; if we all like to stay together.

Prices are out now for 2016 if you write to the individual hotels. Thanks for answering.

PS. Those are awesome prices for those hotels; contacted them both and they wanted over $350 US per night.

Edited by burrma

Thanks; often use priceline and bidding sites if only 2-3 couples but we all want to stay together and too many people now to use those sites; if we all like to stay together.

Prices are out now for 2016 if you write to the individual hotels. Thanks for answering.

PS. Those are awesome prices for those hotels; contacted them both and they wanted over $350 US per night.

How large is your group??

Sometimes the Movenpick will have room sales on but it is a bit of a trek to the Central area if you want to walk but right at the cruise terminal & not far from the River boat dock

Lyn

Thanks LHT 28 and Freestyle Novice for replying. Both places were high 200 for mid April.

Any other large 3 star hotels you can think of would be appreciated.

Did get quote for 180 E for Eden Hotel. Any knowledge of this one?

Have a look at sides like booking.com or expedia.com to check prices during the time you will be in Amsterdam.

That way you get an impression about the rates and those sites also give information about the location of the hotels.

Eden Hotel is nice, it is city centre, (expect some noise at night) you need cab to get to the cruise terminal.

Take a look at some of the travel guides out there that focus on good, centrally located, budget properties. Rick Steves books have good suggestions as does lonely planet and rough guides. Authors have physically stayed in the accommodations they recommend. They've been spot on for me re: Europe travel for many years now. You can check out these resources for nothing through your local library. Amsterdam is definitely expensive for accommodations; on the positive side there are many options to choose from. Another idea is to rent apartments through airbnb or vrbo/homeaway. Many owners/agencies have multiple places in the same building or on the same street/area. I've not read exactly how many couples you have, but some apartments I've looked at are large enough for 10 people or more. Even if you spend $1000 a day for a high end luxury flat/house, once broken down to a per couple price, you're in your budget and have way more space than a hotel room. Just an out of the box idea you might want to consider.

A couple of points to consider

Check that there is a lift if you have mobility issues ...friends booked a budget place & had to lug their bags up to the 3rd floor with narrow stair case

Maybe book something that is fully refundable & keep checking later in the year for cheaper prices

Enjoy

Lyn

Thanks everyone for your good advice. If you think of anything else; thoroughly appreciate it.

Glad to hear from Ine that Eden is okey; best price so far.

Too many of us; 45; to stay in apartment or B@B.

What would you think of staying near airport; don't favour it ; says one has to take free shuttle back to hotel and then get train; about half hour but our price range.

Glad to hear from Ine that Eden is okey; best price so far.

Too many of us; 45; to stay in apartment or B@B.

What would you think of staying near airport; don't favour it ; says one has to take free shuttle back to hotel and then get train; about half hour but our price range.

I would not stay at the airport hotels ..too much commuting if you are sight seeing

Did you ask if any of the hotels have group rates?

Sometimes you get perks like breakfast thrown in & a cheaper rate

Just a thought

What is your budget?

Marriott has group booking but you need to call or request a quote

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Glad to hear: don't stay at airport.

Did ask for breakfast (got two offers only out of about 50) and I always ask for group rates.

Marriot was mid 350 euro's. GRR. Knew it was expensive but not that expensive. Guess they don't need the large group as I can find 2-3 rooms for this April for under 200 E.

You do want to consider staying further out of the city centre to get down the price..

Look at some of the larger hotels at Sloterdijk station like HolidayInn or Lelylaan station's Westcord Fashion hotel. From there it's a 10-15 min tram ride to the places you want to visit.

Also a good train connection from the airport.

What's the number of rooms you need?

Thanks Freestyle Novice; so nice to get info from someone that knows the area.

Will now start looking at Sloterdijk and Lelylaan station. Need about 25 rooms. Thanks

No problem, that's what are here for together. :)

The mentioded areas are less desirable due to being outside the historic centre. But with the larger hotels there they might be on the right side of your budget and needs.

Glad to hear: don't stay at airport.

Did ask for breakfast (got two offers only out of about 50) and I always ask for group rates.

Marriot was mid 350 euro's. GRR. Knew it was expensive but not that expensive. Guess they don't need the large group as I can find 2-3 rooms for this April for under 200 E.[/QUOTe]

If you have called 50 hotels you must see you are going to have to up the budget or go further afield ... then pay for transport into the city centre

April is a busy time for river cruises & bus tours ...they block large sections of hotels

Are the hotels offering any lower price for groups than what their websites show for single rooms?