Skier 52 - Cabin Question

janie315

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:10 PM, Rob-Bob said:

Pete, What is you opinion of room 12125 on Meraviglia?  I see it is right next to the panpramic lift.  Do you think people riding the lift will have a view onto the balcony?  How would you rate this room compared to 13250?

Thank so much.

Both these cabins are the large angled balcony style which sacrifice field of view for balcony size. 13250 will suffer more from the deck 14 overhang shadow than 12125 as well as the supporting struts for deck 14.

As for the panoramic lift overlooking the balcony I have no information on that issue.

So you have to balance the amount of sunlight on the balcony against privacy.

Pete

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:07 AM, djfunk said:

Hi skier, I'm booked on mera this fall in 14002, is this a good suite or should I try and get another room? 

I would have no problem booking this suite as it will be quiet as it s at the and of the guest cabins and next to the senior officers' cabins..

the view forward will have the flying bridge in view which can be fascinating to view if they are using that side during docking.

No reason to change

Pete

5 minutes ago, Skier52 said:

Both these cabins are the large angled balcony style which sacrifice field of view for balcony size. 13250 will suffer more from the deck 14 overhang shadow than 12125 as well as the supporting struts for deck 14.

As for the panoramic lift overlooking the balcony I have no information on that issue.

So you have to balance the amount of sunlight on the balcony against privacy.

Pete

Thanks Pete.  I am weighing the better sun filled balcony vs. the privacy.  I wish someone that has been in 12125 would offer their experience.  I am booked in 13250 right now for a March 2020 cruise but 12125 is available for the date and I probably could switch over if I wanted to.  I would hate to switch if the windows of the lift looked right onto the balcony.

I am not too worried about the field of view issue.  I have been in one before and the field of view still seemed pretty good.  Boy those big balconies are nice.  The one we had on the Divina you could fit 10 people on it if you wanted to.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Skier!

Can you give insight to room #9235 on the Meraviglia? We booked late for the December 8th sailing and we wanted a large balcony, so we had few options, but was happy to find this available. We also had questions about the aft lift. We couldn't determine if it was a service lift or a public one. Clearly, you are the Cabin Whisperer for MSC and wanted to get your input. Thanks in advance!!

Edited by QCruzes

16 hours ago, QCruzes said:

Hey Skier!

Can you give insight to room #9235 on the Meraviglia? We booked late for the December 8th sailing and we wanted a large balcony, so we had few options, but was happy to find this available. We also had questions about the aft lift. We couldn't determine if it was a service lift or a public one. Clearly, you are the Cabin Whisperer for MSC and wanted to get your input. Thanks in advance!!

This cabin is one of the large corner balconies with a balcony that is significantly more square footage than a standard balcony approximately 3 times more area.

But  to achieve this the field of view is restricted to forward only, so it's a trade off of spaciousness for view.

As it is on Deck 9 there will be virtually no effect of the overhang of deck 15.

it shares a wall with the corridor that goes around the lift shaft, which could be a source of machinery noise, but I doubt it.

It is across the corridor from a large Void or "White Space" on the deck plan. This could also be a source of noise but I suspect that it houses the engine flues and as such will not be a problem.

There may well be quite a lot of footfall past the cabin door but show me a cabin with very little footfall. The do exist but are few and far between.

So all in all it would appear to be a nice cabin in a a reasonable location.

You may well be able to get sunbeds on the balcony if you speak to the right person. I would recommend head of housekeeping, or, head of guest services  to speak to at an early point in the cruise.

where your cabin is

meraviglia%209235.jpg 

13 hours ago, Romi123 said:

Hello, what is your opinion on cabin 13193 on MSC Divina? 

Thank you 

this is one of the large corner balconies that have a 124square feet balcony. however this one is going to be very dark as it is in the topmost corner between the deck 14 overhang and the hump wall.

This also give it a limited field of view 90 degrees forward with no backward view at all/

You may get a little sunshine on the outer portion of the balcony.  

It is possible to get sun-loungers put on one of these balconies, you just have to ask a senior officer in housekeeping or customer  relations.

It will also have a reasonable amount of overhead noise as it is below the buffet 

it will look something like this

balconybiggestcorner.jpg

this is where it will be on the ship

divina%2013193.jpg

I hope this helps

pete

25 minutes ago, michellevmp said:

Hi Pete,

We booked our cruise on MSC Divina last month, and recently changed our cabin from #9148 to #11150? Do you think it is good idea in terms of view/noise? Thanks in advance! - Michelle

Both are on the central hump and as such will have 180 degrees field of view.

I personally prefer a higher deck provided it is not affected by the in the shadow of the deck 14 overhang. Neither of these cabins should be affected by the overhand as they are on the hump.

Both are opposite a lift lobby entrance which may give rise to some noise from inconsiderate guests.

Both have cabins above below and on both sides which is usually best for limiting disturbing sounds.

There is little to choose between the two cabins but I would go for 11150 myself

Hope this helps

Pete

Edited by Skier52

15 hours ago, Skier52 said:

Both are on the central hump and as such will have 180 degrees field of view.

I personally prefer a higher deck provided it is not affected by the in the shadow of the deck 14 overhang. Neither of these cabins should be affected by the overhand as they are on the hump.

Both are opposite a lift lobby entrance which may give rise to some noise from inconsiderate guests.

Both have cabins above below and on both sides which is usually best for limiting disturbing sounds.

There is little to choose between the two cabins but I would go for 11150 myself

Hope this helps

Pete

Thanks, Pete! I will go with your choice :) -Michelle

Hi Pete

Appreciate your insights here. 

Perhaps the admins can start pages for each ship with cabin reports from pax on them (have those on other cruise line pages)

Until then--you are the resident expert. Hope its not a bother we all keep coming back to you. I do search via google etc for deck plans/pics etc and hope to find stuff

Would you indulge me with your opinions on 16028 on Seaview?

TYIA

49 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Hi Pete

Appreciate your insights here. 

Perhaps the admins can start pages for each ship with cabin reports from pax on them (have those on other cruise line pages)

Until then--you are the resident expert. Hope its not a bother we all keep coming back to you. I do search via google etc for deck plans/pics etc and hope to find stuff

Would you indulge me with your opinions on 16028 on Seaview?

TYIA

this is of course a YC suite, but it is close to the lift lobby entrance so will have the most footfall passed its door of all the suites on that deck in the YC.

This will be compounded as it is on the same deck as the Topsail Lounge.

But for all that the YC is usually a haven of calm and quietness so the noise would be considered very minor by normal standards as applied to the rest of the ship

Other than that it is bound to be a nice location as it is in the YC

Pete

Edited by Skier52
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skier52 said:

this is of course a YC suite, but it is close to the lift lobby entrance so will have the most footfall passed its door of all the suites on that deck in the YC.

This will be compounded as it is on the same deck as the Topsail Lounge.

But for all that the YC is usually a haven of calm and quietness so the noise would be considered very minor by normal standards as applied to the rest of the ship

Other than that it is bound to be a nice location as it is in the YC

Pete

TY Pete

We were wondering if there was a noise factor from the lifts/traffic to the concierge. Couldn't decipher if there is a parallel hallway on the starboard side-- A wall running down the length that keeps the concierge etc traffic contained. I suppose everyone in the rooms fwd will have to trapse down that hall to the lifts/stairs

Hi Skier52. Loving this thread and your knowledge of cabins. We will be on seaside cabin 12100 balcony fantasica . I can see we are very near the lifts  but more concerned about our balcony and its size and any sunlight it may get . any info would be great. TIA

1 hour ago, dazse16 said:

Hi Skier52. Loving this thread and your knowledge of cabins. We will be on seaside cabin 12100 balcony fantasica . I can see we are very near the lifts  but more concerned about our balcony and its size and any sunlight it may get . any info would be great. TIA

The cabin is in a good location as it is on the hump and should not suffer from the overhang. So there be plenty of sunshine when the sun is on that side of the ship
it should be a standard balcony  of approx 40 sq ft.

hope this helps

Pete

15 hours ago, Fogfog said:

TY Pete

We were wondering if there was a noise factor from the lifts/traffic to the concierge. Couldn't decipher if there is a parallel hallway on the starboard side-- A wall running down the length that keeps the concierge etc traffic contained. I suppose everyone in the rooms fwd will have to trapse down that hall to the lifts/stairs

It looks to me as though there is a wall between the cabins and the concierge area, so, I wouldn't expect any noise from guests using that facility.

Pete

3 hours ago, Skier52 said:

It looks to me as though there is a wall between the cabins and the concierge area, so, I wouldn't expect any noise from guests using that facility.

Pete

Thanks Pete

Does it look like everyone in the fwd cabins has to exit to the lifts in front of 16032?

One thing I do appreciate is MSc shows some of the staff spaces/stairs etc. Wish they showed the doors/access more distinctly I/we can read blueprints/plans and they have provided more information than other cruiselines/deck plans often do

I am worried about my cabin location.  We are on the Meraviglia and have been assigned 10014 and 10018.  We wanted cabins side by side so we could open the balcony divider.  Now I am worried we might not be able to do that.  I see that these arent normal balconies.  I do not like the steel balconies.  Are these more like the steel windows or bottom of rail steel and top of rail open?  Thanks for all you do.

Terry

13 hours ago, hummer2407 said:

I am worried about my cabin location.  We are on the Meraviglia and have been assigned 10014 and 10018.  We wanted cabins side by side so we could open the balcony divider.  Now I am worried we might not be able to do that.  I see that these arent normal balconies.  I do not like the steel balconies.  Are these more like the steel windows or bottom of rail steel and top of rail open?  Thanks for all you do.

Terry

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

The balcony dividers on all the MSC ships I've been on are there for the crew to access the balconies for balcony washing and maintenance.

I've looked at a close up image and you can see that the dividers in the "Steel" balconies are he same as the plexiglass,

balconies.

Here is the image I  looked at, in it I have highlighted a balcony divider from each type of balcony I hope this allays your worries

Pete

MERAVIGLIA%20BALCONY%20DOS.jpg

Hello, 

we are currently assigned to cabin 13193 on MSC Divina, but we have an option to change for one of the following cabins: 

12045, 12041, 12020, 12024, 12048, 12052, 12056, 12060. 

From my point of view all of them are same size. 

Could you please advise which one is the best? 

Thank you 

Romi 

1 hour ago, Romi123 said:

Hello, 

we are currently assigned to cabin 13193 on MSC Divina, but we have an option to change for one of the following cabins: 

12045, 12041, 12020, 12024, 12048, 12052, 12056, 12060. 

From my point of view all of them are same size. 

Could you please advise which one is the best? 

Thank you 

Romi 

13193 is one of the large corner balcony cabins , but this one will be very dark as it is right below the deck 14 overhang and in the smallest recessed area. So this cabin is for someone who is not a sun worshipper and is prepared to sacrifice field of view (only 90 degrees instead about 120 up to 180 degrees which other cabins enjoy) for a large balcony which may get some sunshine on the outer edge. if you like to sit in fresh air in the shade and not worry about what you can see then this is an OK cabin. otherwise ditch it.

As for the remaining cabins all deck 12 on the front hump  so no overhang problems. All have a full 180 degree field of view.

The choice maybe based on itinerary, If you have days at sea you may want to choose the side of the ship which is facing the sun i.e. the starboard side if you are travelling West to East, in the northern hemisphere, and conversely port side if you are travelling East to West, Travelling in a north to south, or, south to north direction will only affect whether you have sun in the  morning or afternoon.

The only other thing to consider is the higher the number the closer to the lift lobby it is so there may be noise issues.

hope this helps a bit

Pete

Edited by Skier52