Skier 52 - Cabin Question

janie315

I've just skimmed through all 27 pages. What a great thread.

We are on the Divina for a 20n transatlantic this fall. We were originally in an inside bella, room 8260 (looks really small but not sure on size exactly). It was only $1330 to upgrade to a bella balcony guarantee (2ppl) and we were assigned 13070. I'm excited to have the extra space and the views for such a lengthy cruise and found the price difference reasonable.

I know about the overhang and as Floridians we definitely prefer sitting in the shade. Do these balconies get ANY sun? Also does the fact its recessed help cut down on wind at all? Do you know if there is a sofa or chairs? Looking at the deck plans it appears we are just below the divider between the 2 pools on deck 14 so I'm hoping for minimal noise..at the very least no tables/chairs scraping? Any other insights? I like proximity to the elevators but I expect some noise there. 

20 hours ago, newistcruiseaddict said:

I've just skimmed through all 27 pages. What a great thread.

We are on the Divina for a 20n transatlantic this fall. We were originally in an inside bella, room 8260 (looks really small but not sure on size exactly). It was only $1330 to upgrade to a bella balcony guarantee (2ppl) and we were assigned 13070. I'm excited to have the extra space and the views for such a lengthy cruise and found the price difference reasonable.

I know about the overhang and as Floridians we definitely prefer sitting in the shade. Do these balconies get ANY sun? Also does the fact its recessed help cut down on wind at all? Do you know if there is a sofa or chairs? Looking at the deck plans it appears we are just below the divider between the 2 pools on deck 14 so I'm hoping for minimal noise..at the very least no tables/chairs scraping? Any other insights? I like proximity to the elevators but I expect some noise there. 

here is what the overhang looks like, suffice it to say there will be very little direct sunshine on your balcony. As for the wind  \I've never been asked about that and I can't  give an answer as I really don't know.

From the info you give in the question I believe you are doing a Europe to USA, east to west crossing, so for the actual crossing   you will be on the shady side of the ship with no direct sunshine with or with out the overhang.              

Overhead noise will occur, but you have to bare in mind what time it happens and whether you will be in your cabin at that time, or, up on the pool deck contributing to the noise heard on deck 13. The annoying overhead noise is usually caused by crew setting out deck chairs etc In the early dawn time hours around say 06:30ish.  

I hope this  fits with your understanding of cabin position   and environs 

9d25fae9-7cd6-4a45-8856-c9066b38dd58.jpg

Skier52, I want to thank you for this thread - great information.  I may have asked this question months ago when I first booked but I can't remember :classic_smile:.  I will be in Cabin 8058.  I have spoken to different MSC reps on the phone and two told me it's unobstructed and one said is is obstructed.  Would you happen to know and any photos would be appreciated.  Thank you again.

Hi There....

I posted this on Meriviglia page but was suggested to post here...Can you help??

I am seeing on the deck plans that the F2 balcony cabins on the "slant" seem to have a huge balcony.  Has anyone experienced this..this cabin 

14168 in particular. Also, if you have stayed there; is the overhang from deck 15th an "obstruction or extra privacy?  Do you know the actual balcony size. 

Thanks i advance.  Looking forward to this new ship.....soon.

8 hours ago, jimbri said:

Skier52, I want to thank you for this thread - great information.  I may have asked this question months ago when I first booked but I can't remember :classic_smile:.  I will be in Cabin 8058.  I have spoken to different MSC reps on the phone and two told me it's unobstructed and one said is is obstructed.  Would you happen to know and any photos would be appreciated.  Thank you again.

I am assuming you are talking about Divina

According to the obstructed definition 8058 is not obstructed, but it is an "in-hull" metal balcony. This balcony doesn't look to be fully enclosed but mostly enclosed

it looks like this

in%20hull%20balcony.jpg

here is its location

divin%20a8058.jpg

6 hours ago, April42749 said:

Hi Skier-

Meraviglia 8191....any opinion or can you locate it?  We have this booked for Oct to Canada (upgraded from OV).  Yeah...I know...who needs a balcony for Canada in Oct, but the price was good.

Thanks......…

here it is buried deep down in the recess probably badly affected by a lifeboat, but hey if the price is right, as you say, "who needs a balcony"

mraviglis%208191.jpg

4 hours ago, funinthsun said:

Hi There....

I posted this on Meriviglia page but was suggested to post here...Can you help??

I am seeing on the deck plans that the F2 balcony cabins on the "slant" seem to have a huge balcony.  Has anyone experienced this..this cabin 

14168 in particular. Also, if you have stayed there; is the overhang from deck 15th an "obstruction or extra privacy?  Do you know the actual balcony size. 

Thanks i advance.  Looking forward to this new ship.....soon.

Similar balconies on Divina are 124 squ. ft as against 42 squ. ft. for a  standard balcony.

the overhang will block out most direct sunlight ,( I would say it was a pretty private balcony). and the field of view will at best 90 degrees because of the hump wall on the right

28 minutes ago, Skier52 said:

I am assuming you are talking about Divina

According to the obstructed definition 8058 is not obstructed, but it is an "in-hull" metal balcony. This balcony doesn't look to be fully enclosed but mostly enclosed

it looks like this

in%20hull%20balcony.jpg

here is its location

divin%20a8058.jpg

Skier52, I apologize.  I should have mentioned it was Meraviglia Ocean View.  Brain was not working this morning.  Sorry. 

Edited by jimbri

2 hours ago, Skier52 said:

here it is buried deep down in the recess probably badly affected by a lifeboat, but hey if the price is right, as you say, "who needs a balcony"

mraviglis%208191.jpg

Who needs a balcony in Canada at the end of Oct!  We really just wanted it for the extra room....not the view (water is water is water).  It's one of those angled balconies so there will be plenty of room to stretch out and enjoy the cool crisp air of the North Atlantic.  And if we position the chairs correctly, we may be able to see some of that icy water.

Thanks so much....

21 hours ago, jimbri said:

Skier52, I apologize.  I should have mentioned it was Meraviglia Ocean View.  Brain was not working this morning.  Sorry. 

21 hours ago, jimbri said:

here is an update on the position of your cabin on MERAVIGLIA

meraviglia%208058.jpg

I too have been redirected to this thread for your good advice.We have been allocated Cabin 100 on Deck 10 on MSC Prezoria.We can change it to a balcony on deck 13 or to cabin 233 on deck 10.Which do you think is best and are there any problems? Thanks

43 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I too have been redirected to this thread for your good advice.We have been allocated Cabin 100 on Deck 10 on MSC Prezoria.We can change it to a balcony on deck 13 or to cabin 233 on deck 10.Which do you think is best and are there any problems? Thanks

here is the deck plan for 10100 which show it in the recessed area but not in any way a bad position in the recess as it is far enough away from the hump walls and as it is on  deck 10 it won't be affected  by the deck 14 overhang. 

meraviglia%208058%203.jpg

for 10233  is one of the large corner balconies which sacrifice field of view for balcony size

meraviglia%208058%2025.jpg

as for deck 13 many of the balconies are badly affected by the overhang of deck 14

the overhang is the dotted line which appears outside the main area of the deck markings.

meraviglia%208058%204.jpg

There are problems with a cabin on deck 13 in that you could have a cabin in a deep dark corner in a recess or under the aqua park with the overhead noise problems or be given one of the aft facing Juliette balconies marked in blue on the deck plan.

As for the other two choices it depends on whether you value views from the ship in most directions or having a large balcony on which you can probably have sun loungers. There is little else to base a choice on except the paragraph below

The choice maybe based on itinerary, If you have days at sea you may want to choose the side of he ship which is facing the sun i.e. the starboard side if you are travelling West to East, in the northern hemisphere, and conversely port side if you are travelling East to West, Travelling in a north to south, or, south to north direction will only affect whether you have sun in the  morning or afternoon/ S if it were my choice I would not go for a deck 13 cabin but favour one if the two deck 10

10 cabins   

14 minutes ago, Skier52 said:

here is the deck plan for 10100 which show it in the recessed area but not in any way a bad position in the recess as it is far enough away from the hump walls and as it is on  deck 10 it won't be affected  by the deck 14 overhang. 

meraviglia%208058%203.jpg

for 10233  is one of the large corner balconies which sacrifice field of view for balcony size

meraviglia%208058%2025.jpg

as for deck 13 many of the balconies are badly affected by the overhang of deck 14

the overhang is the dotted line which appears outside the main area of the deck markings.

meraviglia%208058%204.jpg

There are problems with a cabin on deck 13 in that you could have a cabin in a deep dark corner in a recess or under the aqua park with the overhead noise problems or be given one of the aft facing Juliette balconies marked in blue on the deck plan.

As for the other two choices it depends on whether you value views from the ship in most directions or having a large balcony on which you can probably have sun loungers. There is little else to base a choice on except the paragraph below

The choice maybe based on itinerary, If you have days at sea you may want to choose the side of he ship which is facing the sun i.e. the starboard side if you are travelling West to East, in the northern hemisphere, and conversely port side if you are travelling East to West, Travelling in a north to south, or, south to north direction will only affect whether you have sun in the  morning or afternoon/ S if it were my choice I would not go for a deck 13 cabin but favour one if the two deck 10

10 cabins   

Thank you 🙂

1 hour ago, ocbaylady said:

Great information! We are on the Meraviglia in Jan.2020 our cabin is 13181 any ifo would be appreciated as would a picture with location. Thanks so much!

Debbie

I have very little info about this cabin except to say that it is in a good location , being the last cabin on a hump so affects of the deck 14 overhang are minimal, and it will have a full 180 degrees field of vision. As it has cabins on both sides as well as above and below there should not be  any noise issues. however I add a caveat in that it is opposite a "White Area" on the deck and these can be a source of noise.  looking closely at the deck plans I suspect that the flues are in the White Area*** and so the possibility of noise from it should be at  minimum

the white area travels vertically through all decks

The funnel is almost directly above you cabin as seen from outside of the ship see image below which also shows the location of your cabin

Pete

meraviglia%2013181.jpg

On 9/4/2019 at 4:54 PM, Skier52 said:

Similar balconies on Divina are 124 squ. ft as against 42 squ. ft. for a  standard balcony.

the overhang will block out most direct sunlight ,( I would say it was a pretty private balcony). and the field of view will at best 90 degrees because of the hump wall on the right

Thanks!  for the input
That is sort of what I was thinking but for that size balcony; it is worth it!  

16 minutes ago, Chip28 said:

Hi Skier52  

We have booked a guarantee cabin on MSC Preziosa ad have been given 9230 Fatastica balcony.  Can you let me know if this is an unobstructed/sunny balcony please

Many thanks

You are in a good position on the rear hump so there will no issues of obstruction or overhang shadow .

your balcony will be sunny when the sun is on that side of the ship

On 9/5/2019 at 2:30 PM, Skier52 said:

here is an update on the position of your cabin on MERAVIGLIA

meraviglia%208058.jpg

Curious as to how obstructed the view is.  Wondering if anyone has a photo of a similar cabin.  Again, thank you Skier52!

Pete, What is you opinion of room 12125 on Meraviglia?  I see it is right next to the panpramic lift.  Do you think people riding the lift will have a view onto the balcony?  How would you rate this room compared to 13250?

Thank so much.