camera lens suggestions please

Jota62

I'm a novice photographer. I enjoy it as a hobby and would love to get some great shots in Alaska. I'm not sailing until September so have time to decide and practice to be used to any new lenses.

I have a Cannon T3i and it came with a 18-35mm and theb I have a 50mm /1.8f that I love and use most of the time.

Any suggestions for an affordable lens that will work well with my camera that would be great for capturing the glaciers and other great views from the boat?

You might want to budget for a zoom lens to get the wildlife.

I like 18-200mm which combines your wide and zoom. Image quality is not so great, but it makes it so much portable. This lens is a bargain until you can save up for the 70-200mm f/2.8.

Do a Google search for camera shops that rent lens. I have a Canon T4i and when I went to Yellowstone I rented a Canon 100 - 400 L Lens for about $140 for 2 weeks. Well worth it as lens costs over $2,000.

I also am looking to purchase a new camera with better zoom. Nikon has a L830 and a p530...which has good reviews. Looking for point and shoot as I an an amateur and it's only a hobby. Anyone have any other ideas for my new camera?

I got amazing pictures with my Nikon 520 with 42X zoom.

Automatic - no thinking. Just point and shoot. Also had manual mode.

Do a Google search for camera shops that rent lens. I have a Canon T4i and when I went to Yellowstone I rented a Canon 100 - 400 L Lens for about $140 for 2 weeks. Well worth it as lens costs over $2,000.

I think my only concern is being stressed that something then would happen to the lens. I appreciate the suggestion and I am definitely going to look into this and the details.

I got amazing pictures with my Nikon 520 with 42X zoom.

Automatic - no thinking. Just point and shoot. Also had manual mode.

We are looking for a better camera in preparation for our July Alaska cruise and DIY land tour. I especially would like a good zoom in order to capture shots of wildlife on whale watching tours and in Denali National Park. But I would hate to fuss with changing lenses and lugging around a lot of gear.

Your Nikon 520 sounds like it might be a great option. Did you shoot many long-distance photos of wildlife?

Thanks.

I think my only concern is being stressed that something then would happen to the lens. I appreciate the suggestion and I am definitely going to look into this and the details.

I have rented before. All the rental places have an insurance option that you can take.

DON

I bought this recently for my canon

http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/tamron-16-300mm-f-3.5-6.3-di-ii-vc-pzd-macro-lenses.html

Tamron 16-300mm, it's great as I never have to change lens as it goes from wide angle to telephoto and it's very light weight. I would have loved a canon 400mm but they are well over twice as much and more cumbersome to lug around.

You might want to budget for a zoom lens to get the wildlife.

I like 18-200mm which combines your wide and zoom. Image quality is not so great, but it makes it so much portable. This lens is a bargain until you can save up for the 70-200mm f/2.8.

I find 200mm not to be quite long enough for wildlife. I guess it depends on how much of a close up you want.

Edited by catr13

I find 200mm not to be quite long enough for wildlife. I guess it depends on how much of a close up you want.

I agree with this. I went to alaska with a 70-200 F4 (on my T2i) and I was wishing I had more. I was still able to get some good shots, but we went on a lot of small boat tours to get in closer (still, lots of digital zooming and cropping helped).

8624503757_d62ac4d0f7_c.jpg eagle4 by ikirumata, on Flickr

As far as glaciers, your 50mm would be good for that.

Renting lenses is a good option if you don't want to pony up for a new/used one. 400mm seems to be about as big as I would want to lug around on an Alaskan cruise. Seems like anything bigger would either require a tripod or just be unwieldy on a small boat (or on a cruise ship with limited deck space).

In June of 2016 we plan on going on HAL 14 Day RT from Seattle. Our 3rd trip to Alaska. I plan on renting the Canon L Lens 100 - 400. Agree it may be a little heavier than usual but the quality of shots taken with an L Lens far outweighs the weight. It was perfect in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. I was able to get some awesome shots.

I went to AK with my Tamron 18 - 270 and was very happy. The introduction of the 16 - 300 has made the 18 - 270 more affordable.

Definitely something to look at (for me). I was considering the Canon 75-300 Lens which I can get for about $200... but the one you mentioned has the wider angle without having to change lenses...

Thanks.

I used three lenses on my Nikon D200 during my first cruise to Alaska. A 12-24, 70-300 f4.5-5.6, and my favorite 35 f1.8. The weather was spectacular with clear skies and brilliant sunsets. The wide angle was great for landscapes while the 35 was best for low light and walking around town. The 70-300 with VR worked reasonably well for whale watching and eagles but I still wished for a longer reach. This Spring I will be going on another cruise to Alaska but will be using a full frame camera with my old manual lenses. I don't know which yet.

I got the insurance for just this reason. I rented a wide angle lens when we went to the Grand Canyon.

Definitely something to look at (for me). I was considering the Canon 75-300 Lens which I can get for about $200... but the one you mentioned has the wider angle without having to change lenses...

Thanks.

Not changing lenses was the big sales point for me. For example, in Glacier Bay you might want a close up of an eagle hanging on a piece of ice and immediately go to wide angle for a glacier shot.

I agree with the Tamron 18-270mm. I bought that one just before we went yo Alaska last year and absolutely love it. Price was my thing, would have loved a canon but couldn't afford it. I live in Australia and was worried about trying to organise a rental. I am still very much learning how to use my camera to the best possible results and with the a Tamron I got some incredible pictures.

I love my Canon 18-55mm that came with my camera but the Tamron is a fab walk around lens. The 18-300mm was released not long before I went away and I read very mixed reviews, so maybe check it out before committing to it. Very light and compact!

I agree with the Tamron 18-270mm. I bought that one just before we went yo Alaska last year and absolutely love it. Price was my thing, would have loved a canon but couldn't afford it. I live in Australia and was worried about trying to organise a rental. I am still very much learning how to use my camera to the best possible results and with the a Tamron I got some incredible pictures.

I love my Canon 18-55mm that came with my camera but the Tamron is a fab walk around lens. The 18-300mm was released not long before I went away and I read very mixed reviews, so maybe check it out before committing to it. Very light and compact!

Thanks to you and everyone else for the great suggestions! I'm definitely going to research these lenses!