amtrak from DC to NYC questions

Knighton

I'm taking amtrak from Washington, DC to New York City (Penn Station) for a cruise on March 29th. Cruise departs at 3pm. What's the latest the train should arrive to get to the cruise on time? Also, When the cruise comes back, it arrives at 8am on April 5th. What's the earliest I should book a train for?

How strict are they with the carry on luggage on Amtrak? I have a suitcase that might be an inch or 2 over their measurement limit. Are there places to fit suitcases that aren't overhead? (I know there is no checked luggage on this particular route.)

Thanks!

I'm taking amtrak from Washington, DC to New York City (Penn Station) for a cruise on March 29th. Cruise departs at 3pm. What's the latest the train should arrive to get to the cruise on time? Also, When the cruise comes back, it arrives at 8am on April 5th. What's the earliest I should book a train for?

How strict are they with the carry on luggage on Amtrak? I have a suitcase that might be an inch or 2 over their measurement limit. Are there places to fit suitcases that aren't overhead? (I know there is no checked luggage on this particular route.)

Thanks!

Last question first....not very strict...no one bothers to look! You can pile stuff either in the rack at the end of the car, or in the open space, unless it's being used by a handicapped person...really easy.

Get a red cap at Washington Union Station, and one at NY Penn. They'll stash your stuff for you....getting one when you leave the train can be annoying, but I think the conductors can radio for one.....they WILL be on the platform, but they get snagged fast.

DO NOT cut it close...I would NOT plan to arrive later than noon. There are delays and screw ups on the North East Corridor DAILY. All you need is a downed power line, disabled train or trespasser fatality and you're TOAST.

If it were me, I would be coming in a day early.

As for going home, again, I wouldn't cut it too close...nothing before noon, though you'd likely make an earlier train. One immigration delay and you've missed your train..

One disagreement with Meg's post. If your cruise departs at 3 pm you should plan to be at pier by 1 pm . A noon arrival at Penn Station allows no margin for delays, and Amtrak trains are frequently late. I wouldn't book a train that is scheduled to arrive in NY later than 10 am. Even better...as Meg suggests, is to arrive the previous day.

One disagreement with Meg's post. If your cruise departs at 3 pm you should plan to be at pier by 1 pm . A noon arrival at Penn Station allows no margin for delays, and Amtrak trains are frequently late. I wouldn't book a train that is scheduled to arrive in NY later than 10 am. Even better...as Meg suggests, is to arrive the previous day.

Agree, Amtrak is often late, especially if you are not taking Acella. Have you thought about catching the train at the BWI station?

Njhorseman..

You have a great point..and I guess posting with insufficient sleep..AND insufficient caffeine made my thoughts all jumbled...I should have said arrive at the pier by noon...not at the station

:eek::o

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Edited by megr1125

As others have posted, Amtrak seems to be delayed a lot. The other day all trains (NJ Transit as well) were suspended into and out of NY Penn because of an Amtrak problem. I've been on Amtrak when they've gone backwards because the track they were on was disabled for one reason or another, adding time to our arrival.

Regarding luggage you are limited to 2 bags per person but not sure how strict they are with enforcing that as it hasn't been an issue for me. Also, the size of luggage shouldn't be a problem as there is an area for suitcases/larger bags at the front or rear of the car.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! One more question, regarding the PATH train. If I were to go from jersey city (the newport/pavonia stop) into the city via PATH train to 33rd street (then catch a cab to the port), are they also ok with luggage on those trains? I was thinking about having my DH drive me and my son up the day before to Jersey City, which is where we usually stay when going into the city anyway.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! One more question, regarding the PATH train. If I were to go from jersey city (the newport/pavonia stop) into the city via PATH train to 33rd street (then catch a cab to the port), are they also ok with luggage on those trains? I was thinking about having my DH drive me and my son up the day before to Jersey City, which is where we usually stay when going into the city anyway.

PATH trains are similar to NY City subways...they're not designed to accommodate people hauling luggage. If the train is at all crowded it could be an issue.

I took PATH on Friday morning from Newark Penn Station to Exchange Place to pick up the light rail to Cape Liberty. I left my hotel at 9 am and was on PATH by 9:20. No problem getting a seat just after rush hour and no problem with my two small rolling bags.

That's not to say you wouldn't encounter a more crowded train. However on a weekday you can take a train to Hoboken instead and transfer to a Hoboken-33rd St train where for sure you can get a seat.

I put myself in slo-mo and just made up my mind to go with the flow. The whole trip from the hotel to 34th St in Bayonne took an hour and 5 minutes and included a rest stop in Newark Penn station. I lucked out because a friend was just approaching the port by car service and her driver agreed to swing by the light rail and pick me up too for $5. I'm a senior with the appropriate transit cards, so the whole trip cost $7 plus a nice tip to the driver. It was also a super easy trip with luggage.