Western v Eastern Caribbean?

USKiwi79

I'm a first time cruiser. I am about to book but I can't decide between Western or Eastern Caribbean :confused:

I am cruising on NCL from Miami (I live in Miami which makes things a little easier).

What would you recommend?

For shore excursions I like history and culture, water sports and learning and trying new things. I've look on the NCL website and it doesn't help much as there are great things at both destinations.

Thanks,

Oooh both really GREAT ships! Wow, great choices! Well, based on that, here's my rundown on the ports:

Getaway - Western

Roatan - http://www.channinboddentours.com

Havest Caye - This is owned by NCL. They are constructing a new port which is supposed to be completed in November 2015. The thing about this is, like any construction project, it might or might not be ready by the time you cruise. If it is not ready for your sailing your ship may substitute a different port or you may get an extra day at sea - no way to know. The shore excursions at this port look very interesting though.

Cozumel - One of the coolest things to do from Cozumel is go to Xplor Park - look it up on the internet. It is something that could never be built in the US. There are also the Tulum Mayan ruins - since you like history. I would do a private tour to Tulum because the ships tours run as slow as the slowest person in the group and that's often someone on a walker.

http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/CozumelShoreExcursions.htm

or go snorkeling at Palancar.

Escape - Eastern

St Thomas - This is a great place to try scuba diving for the first time or go over to St. John to go snorkeling and have a beach day at Trunk Bay. Lots of people go into Charlotte Amalie to go shopping on St. Thomas.

Tortola - go to The Baths on Virgin Gorda - hire a small boat very early in the morning to bring you from the port on Tortola to The Baths. If you arrive early enough you will have The Baths all to yourselves for an hour or so. Alternative is to take the ferry or a ship excursion. Next go to Mahoe Bay (Virgin Gorda) to snorkel before returning to the Port of Tortola. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147358-d6162125-r242552823-Mahoe_Bay-Virgin_Gorda_British_Virgin_Islands.html

Nassau - There are basically 2 major things to do here and really it is a question of doing one or the other:

1. Go to the Atlantis water park.

2. Go to the Blue Lagoon Beach for a beach day.

They are both good cruises, both great ships. I would tend to lean towards the Eastern itinerary until I knew for certain that Harvest Caye was open. Once that happens, I think that will be an absolutely amazing itinerary.

For culture on the western route, you need the ports of Costa Maya and Belize for access to interesting Mayan ruins. The small Tulum Mayan ruin is on the mainland, a bit too far from Cozumel unless you do it with a ship excursion and don't worry about being late because ships wait for their excursions.

I prefer eastern and even more so on the choices listed above since many ships don't get to Tortola and the opportunity to see the Baths at Virgin Gorda is too good to pass up. We also always go to Trunk Bay (no excursion need for great snorkeling right off the beach) and love Orient Bay in St Martin. Nassau? I would stay on the ship.

We don't go to the Caribbean for culture and history. So many great

options other than Caribbean for that.

I find Eastern to be a bit more refined. Mexico & Jamaica (typcially both Western) we find the salespeople to be much more aggressive than at St. Martin or St. Thomas.

Jamaica is the only island we ONLY do ship excursions--have done Dunn's River Falls & ziplining. Both great, ziplining is fantastic!!

Cozumel--we love Nachi Cochum All-inclusive beach. They only sell 100 spots/day. It was lovely. Paradise Beach is a fun beach & we enjoy that too when we want more activities.

St. Thomas--we love Sapphire beach on the other side of the island. Also quiet & gorgeous, but there is a snack bar & facilities. We also rented jet skis in the area.

St. Martin--We have yet to find a place we will go to again & again. We need to see Maho Beach (right by the airport--planes cross VERY closely to the water) or go over to the French side.

They are both great. We love sea days, so we tend to choose an itinerary that maximizes those.

Edited by KKB

For culture on the western route, you need the ports of Costa Maya and Belize for access to interesting Mayan ruins. .

Agree. Given this particular choice I like St Thomas and Tortola. Very pretty.

For a first-time cruiser I don't think the matter is that life-or-death. Typically you will get hooked and do other itineraries anyway.