How do you choose a balcony room?

So many choices! We are looking at the lower and middle price range for a balcony on the Brilliance. Other than making sure there are rooms above me and below me, as I do for an interior room, how should I pick a balcony room?:rolleyes:

Look to see if the cabin is forward, mid, or aft. To some people, it makes a difference. Do you care how high up you are? A mid ship balcony on a lower deck might be less expensive than on a higher deck. Or it could be the same price as a forward or aft on a higher deck.

Some cabins might have an extended balcony (which may have an obstruction or not be very private).

I think once you have a balcony cabin, you will never go back to Inside or Oceanview. You will love it.

Debbi

I also make sure the cabin I select is NOT a connecting cabin unless I'm traveling with the people in the other cabin :o

So many choices! We are looking at the lower and middle price range for a balcony on the Brilliance. Other than making sure there are rooms above me and below me, as I do for an interior room, how should I pick a balcony room?:rolleyes:

We book by location now. Got upgraded to an Aft balcony on Brillance, it was great but the walk to the elevator was too much for us. Pick what feels right for you.

Happy cruising

Edited by reallyhooked

I like to look at the deck plans to see if there is a blank space beside the stateroom. If there is it may indicate a utility area where crew may be working earlier than I want to be awakened. It isn't a deal breaker but if there are other choices I take one of them. If I can't get a balcony that is all the way aft then I like to have one near an elevator but not too near it or the centrum due to possible noise.

If we decide to invest in a balcony (we do insides a lot!), we never settle for just a normal balcony. We do true aft balconies so we actually have lounge chairs and space to move around. If there are no true aft balconies, we will settle for a hump balcony on ships that have a hump. On some ships, the normal balconies have just 2 upright chairs and a small table and there is barely room to move around. I will not pay extra for that little tiny space.

Our first few cruises we took whatever room the website chose for us, believing we were getting the best available. Then I discovered CC and learned that not all rooms or balconies are created equal, nor are the measurements on the website accurate. Even the reps will tell you that all rooms and balconies of a specific category are exactly the same. Wrong! Best thing to do is search for posts " best balcony room on XXXXXX(ship name)" and you will come up with lots of great information.

What ship are you looking at?

Lauri

Edited by lah66

Location is important to us. We like a midship cabin near the elevators. Also on a deck with cabins above and below ours. Depending on the itenerary, a balcony may not matter.

Ditto for us... midship near elevators..cabins above and below! ;)

Oops just noticed you mentioned Brilliance. We had the first hump balcony on Deck 7 of the Brilliance and really liked it though it was just off the Centrum so we did hear some noise. If you are one to stay up late, you will be just fine! If you go to bed early, that may not be such a great location. But that is a nice balcony, not as big as an aft but bigger than the regular balconies and not as expensive as aft.

Lauri

We like to book as close to mid ship as possible. From what I've heard, there is less movement mid ship if the water gets choppy. However, on our last cruise we had an aft facing balcony, which we really enjoyed. We use the stairs and enjoy walking so that isn't a factor.

We prefer to be mid ship, others aft, but my method is as others mentioned to have a cabin deck above & below you. From there, I select cabins within 7 to 10 rooms forward of the elevators and look at Deck 8 or 9. Deck 7 your overlooking the lifeboats. Since we have done a JS which starts on Deck 10 on Radiance Class, we love the cabin size but don't particularly like the overhang from Deck 11 but experienced no noise as some reported. If we could grab a center or either side that would be great also, wouldn't like a cabin on the corner hump or one next to it.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

We book by location now. Got upgraded to an Aft balcony on Brillance, it was great but the walk to the elevator was too much for us. Pick what feels right for you.

Happy cruising

Love the AFT balcony, have JS aft later this year

I also make sure the cabin I select is NOT a connecting cabin unless I'm traveling with the people in the other cabin :o

I am with you on that. That is the first thing I look for and I always look to see what is below and above me. I don't want to have a connecting room with anyone. You can hear everything and I mean everything

Since you have been on Brilliance before my suggestion is to do what we do. Since DW cannot walk long distances we always try to get a balcony cabin nearest the lift bank associated with where we will be going most frequently. That would be the Centrum lifts on Brilliance for us. Bon Voyage!