Free Internet on Riviera

Marcdc

Just hard to swallow that in this day and age, on a super ship such as the Riviera which is only a couple years old, in a world where even backwaters of civilization have smartphones, a cruise company cannot deliver decent internet!

AFAIK, the entire ship's wifi is routed via one connection to a satellite. And probably at best, maybe 3-5 Mbps. With everyone on the ship using the same connection, it's no-brainer that the service is not going to be snappy.

Just back from a 21 day Regent cruise and I thought the service was acceptable under the above conditions. Of course, we didn't go on the cruise expecting to stream Netflix or other video.

Note about using an int'l data plan such as ATT offers. IF not on land or very close to the shore, do not have "data roaming" ON. If you do have an int'l data plan and see "Cellular at-sea" pop up, make sure data roaming is off and of course, if you don't have an int'l data plan, leave "data roaming off when you either board your flight or board a ship leaving a US port. I "toyed" around with it thinking it was covered with my ATT data plan (NOT) and ran up a $900 bill very quickly which thankfully, ATT wrote off. I think Cellular at Sea costs $20 per MB. At that rate, I only used 45 MB.

While it's only good on shore or very close to shore, ATT's int'l plan can be useful. Cost $30 for 120 MB and $1 a minute calls. $60 buys 300 MB and 50 cent calls. Who wants to waste their time looking for some "free" internet on shore at these prices. And for $120, you get 800 MB and 35 cent calls. To guard against wasting this time, my "data roaming" switch is mostly off and ONLY on when I want to get online.

http://***************/cellular-at-sea-know-your-rates-before-you-go/

Fyi

T mobile plan is free. Free international data roaming.

Free internet data text in participating countries so we switched

First time we have used it. Terrific

On Nautica with free internet along with most of ship

It was a booking promo

I do not see much difference any time of day

I do notice my iPad is faster than my iPhone.

It's no big deal to us

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm glad that for most, internet is not a big issue. I don't need it to stream videos, play games or FaceTime. I need to stay in touch, for my house and dog sitter, for my family, for business. I just need to connect each day early am or late pm to check up on everything so I can be free to enjoy the holiday. We will be gone for over a month, so it becomes especially important. Here's hoping it goes better than X in Alaska!

I'm glad that for most, internet is not a big issue. I don't need it to stream videos, play games or FaceTime. I need to stay in touch, for my house and dog sitter, for my family, for business. I just need to connect each day early am or late pm to check up on everything so I can be free to enjoy the holiday. We will be gone for over a month, so it becomes especially important. Here's hoping it goes better than X in Alaska!

If all you need is to stay in touch with your family, friends and business via e mails, you'll have no trouble at all - I never have. I even manage to do some banking when I am away for a while.

Does T-Mobile include Cellular at-sea? If so, maybe I should change.

No

Land only

Participating countries which is most of them

So far only Seychelles and Maldives not included

We were in Cape Town and on safari for total of 8 days with full access. No brainer if you travel a lot and if t mobile works where u live. They pay ur cancellation fee and for ur trade in phones. We are very happy we

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by bitob

No

Land only

Participating countries which is most of them

So far only Seychelles and Maldives not included

I briefly spoke with a T-Mobile person today. I'll have to figure out the cost of conversion. Both of our iPhones (5S and 6) are still under contract and LOCKED. So I'll have to see what ATT wants to unlock them. I assume payment in full.

Biggest problem I have had with the internet on both Regent and Oceania is the "time out" function that cuts you off - if you are reading a newspaper or whatever on the iPad. I don't know when Oceania upgraded its system but I hope this has been addressed...The Masters Golf is on when we will be in the middle of the Atlantic in april and I hope I get get my SkyGo to work so I can watch it!

I briefly spoke with a T-Mobile person today. I'll have to figure out the cost of conversion. Both of our iPhones (5S and 6) are still under contract and LOCKED. So I'll have to see what ATT wants to unlock them. I assume payment in full.

They should unlock them at NO CHARGE if your contract commitment is up. Otherwise -- so sorry...

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/?#/

Rather than switch the ATT Passport plan for $30 gives you 120MB of data in many countries (more than 150). The only negative that Cellular at Sea is not included on Oceania (but does work on RCCL, Azmara and Celebrity)-- but it not included with Verizon or T-Mobile. My biggest issue with T-Mobile is their very poor coverage in the USA. For me it matters..

Edited by PaulMCO