Just in from USA Today...Princess has the best pizza

CruisinChris

How can Alfredo's pizza be best pizza among all cruise lines when it's the second best pizza on Princess Ships? :)

Say what? Alfredo's is by far the best pizza I've had on a Princess ship. (The only exception to that statement is the pizza I had in Cafe Corniche on Sea Princess. It was every bit as good as the pizza at Alfredo's.)

The pizza served at Prego's on Lido Deck (at least on Star Princess) is absolutely horrible. I've tried it (on Star Princess) on two different cruises - in 2011 and in 2013. In 2011 my son, my wife, and I all agreed it was terrible - comparable to grocery store frozen pizza. In 2013 my wife and I tried it again and it was still just as horrible.

I've been mystified by the "best pizza at sea" comments from people who eat at Prego's. Maybe it's just the Star that has the problem. I'll give it a try on Crown next week but don't expect much.

We ate the Grand Princess Pizza at Alfredo's on Grand Princess a couple of times and it was really good.

Edited by Thrak

There it is again, that weird idea that some people like one thing and other people like something else. ;) I prefer the proletariat pizza on Lido. I guess it's my unsophisticated palate on display again.

I totally agree. The Lido pizza is simple and unhealthy, but so so good. Recently, I had 20 friends that went on a cruise. They has mixed reviews on everything, but the consensus was that Prego's Pizza on Lido deck was highlight of the trip.

Edited by OceanPrince

There it is again, that weird idea that some people like one thing and other people like something else. ;) I prefer the proletariat pizza on Lido. I guess it's my unsophisticated palate on display again.

I second that emotion. Depends on what the special du jour is, though. Prego's six-cheese pizza special ("the Blizzard," maybe?) is oral grat to the max and oh-so-delicious. And anything they do with anchovies is swell.

I'm fine with schnitzy goor-may pies - the bakery collective around the corner does a roasted Brussels sprout and Balsamic pizza to die for - but Alfredo's pizzas usually seem kinda, oh, reticent and bland to me. (Except for the recent Mexican special, which was a tongue-singeing delight.)

But yeah, the idea that food preferences are a matter of taste is just so...strange.

Must be a problem on Star Princess then as we all found the pizza almost tasteless.

In all our years of cruising Princess I have yet to have 1 slice of pizza, hot dog or hamburger...only because there are better items that temp me.

This next cruise I'm determined to try all three....for better or worse. :D

I've never had a hot dog onboard but I have had a hamburger. It was okay... My wife and I were both really surprised by the grilled chicken sandwich at the grill on our last cruise. I decided to try one while watching MUTS and it was so good my wife got one another day. Much better than the hamburger.

Edited by Thrak

I've never had a hot dog onboard but I have had a hamburger. It was okay... My wife and I were both really surprised by the grilled chicken sandwich at the grill on our last cruise. I decided to try one while watching MUTS and it was so good my wife got one another day. Much better than the hamburger.

On one trip I decided to have one of the veggie burgers that many people have negatively commented about. They were all right- it was terrible. Most of it went into the garbage can.

I'm not a veterinarian but I still wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

I'll stick to the beef, thank you.:)

We have not been to an Alfredos yet but the Lido pizza on Ruby and Caribbean are very good NY Style pizza. As an owner of a NY Style pizzeria, with stone ovens, their product is spot on. The sauce isn't for me because its sometimes too chunky but the flavor is right and the ovens crisp the dough well. I spent some time watching them hand stretch and toss the pies. They even made a white pie on request.