Refrigerators

travelhelp

Are there refrigerators in the cabins to keep personal things cold (like a bottle of medicine that needs to be kept cold before it is opened). Then it is ok after that.

Yes as a minibar on the Vista and Signature Class ships for sure. You have to order a refrigerator for the R&S class smaller ship.

Note that the minibar is not as cold as your home refrigerator but still fine for meds. My DW keeps her Forteo pens in the minibar.

If you wish, ask your Room Steward to empty the bar items to give you more room.

Edited by Crew News

Depends on the class of ship. Newer ships (Vista Class etc) have refrigerators. Older ones: You can have one put in room. but...they do not keep things very cold. You might be able to have the medical office keep it down there for you. Which ship?

The Prinsendam (which people seem to forget about), as well as all the Vista and Signature ships have a mini-bar in every cabin.

The S- and R-class ships have a mini-bar in every cabin that has a balcony.

The inside and outside cabins on those ships can rent one for $2 per day. Reports are that the rented fridges do get things cold.

The coolers will keep things about 25 degrees below whatever you keep your room temperature set to. Ice will melt in them, but more slowly than out in the room.

Edited by jtl513

Since my husband is a diabetic and his unopened insulin has to be kept at a certain temp, (between 36-46F) I always take it to the medical center then I don't have to worry about the refrigerator not being cold enough. Never had a problem with them keeping it. I just have to make sure I pick it up if I need it at the times they are open.

HAL has said that they recommend that you keep any refrigerated meds in the Medical Center. Last cruise had new eye drops that needed refrigeration and had to be taken at bed time. Our room fridge (Noordam) did not seem very cold so I kept the drops in a sealed baggy in a glass filled with ice in the fridge. Had to replace the ice at least twice a day as it would melt away. For my injected meds, I always keep them in the Med. Ctr. which opens at 8:00, closes for about an hour for lunch and then opens again until about 6:00 or so. They are amenable to making allowances as once I had a very early tour and they opened about 45 minutes early so I could get my injector. I would rather walk down to the Med Ctr. to get these meds then worry and recommend that you consider this also.

@ RuthC

Just to confirm, even the insides on the NieuwAmsterdam have a fridge?

As far as medicines, there are those that need to be kept at or under some given temperature, as Bobocasey's DH's above, and those that just need not to get TOO warm, like suppositories (!!!). The OP needs to know what she has, asking her physician if necessary.

@ RuthC

Just to confirm, even the insides on the NieuwAmsterdam have a fridge?

Yes.

ALL cabins on EVERY Vista, and EVERY Signature ship, plus EVERY cabin on the Prinsendam have a fridge.

On the S- and R-class ships, ONLY the cabins with a balcony have a fridge. The other cabins can rent one.

We rented one on our recent Maasdam cruise and it kept my ice pack nice and cold in the ice compartment. I also would put some water in there sometimes during the day and every now and then it would be frozen when we came back! Yes, $2 a day..

Sherry

We rented one on our recent Maasdam cruise and it kept my ice pack nice and cold in the ice compartment. I also would put some water in there sometimes during the day and every now and then it would be frozen when we came back! Yes, $2 a day..

Sherry

Some (or maybe all) of the rentals are true refrigerators, with a refrigerant compression/expansion cycle. Since you had an "ice compartment" and were able to freeze things, you had one of that type. Most of the coolers throughout the fleet are thermoelectric (like portable picnic coolers), and can not cool anything below about 40 degrees at best.

Just out of curiosity: could you hear the compressor motor running like a home refrigerator, or are they more quiet?

Edited by jtl513

Sherry

Good to know as the original question was a refrigerator for storing meds and many meds cannot be frozen!