RCCL- Gluten Free Bread ?

I have a friend considering cruising with us this year. She does not have CD so doesn't have to be "perfect" but is trying to eat GF and low carb. My biggest concern for her is the bread at dinner and specialty dining. Since it usually takes a little while for apps to arrive at the table and we always scarf down tons of bread waiting on "food"....how is the GF bread? She is looking at doing either JW (so MDR, Chops, Portofinos) or AD (MDR, Giovannis). However, comments from your experience on the other ships is greatly appreciated also. We know they are "supposed" to be consistent fleetwide.:)

1. Does she need to request GF bread in advance?

2. How does the GF bread taste?

3, Does anyone know the carb count of the GF bread in these venues?

4. Do they have GF bran muffins? I love the RC bran muffins and would love for her to enjoy them also.

5. What GF items do you ENJOY while onboard?

6. What GF items did you NOT like and would NOT order again?

Thanks for your assistance!

I have a friend considering cruising with us this year. She does not have CD so doesn't have to be "perfect" but is trying to eat GF and low carb. My biggest concern for her is the bread at dinner and specialty dining. Since it usually takes a little while for apps to arrive at the table and we always scarf down tons of bread waiting on "food"....how is the GF bread? She is looking at doing either JW (so MDR, Chops, Portofinos) or AD (MDR, Giovannis). However, comments from your experience on the other ships is greatly appreciated also. We know they are "supposed" to be consistent fleetwide.:)

1. Does she need to request GF bread in advance?

2. How does the GF bread taste?

3, Does anyone know the carb count of the GF bread in these venues?

4. Do they have GF bran muffins? I love the RC bran muffins and would love for her to enjoy them also.

5. What GF items do you ENJOY while onboard?

6. What GF items did you NOT like and would NOT order again?

Thanks for your assistance!

Our experience is that you do not need to order GF bread in advance. They have 2 different kinds. We always order the white bread because it is a little better. They other one looks like banana bread but is terrible.

If there is a Sorrento's you can ask them to make GF pizza.

Our favorite dish for GF is the eggplant lasagna. You have to ask for it the day before, but it is amazing. We also order Indian food as it is also GF.

I can't think of anything terrible that I wouldn't order again. There are options every night for dinner. You just need to review the menu the day before and let them know what you want.

Also, mostly all their blended Oasis drink mixes are GF. I believe the only one that isn't is the Bloody Mary mix.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you do a search on gluten free a number of posts come up. I was going to put the links here but there are far too many. A number of CC posters are gluten free and have posted special threads about their experiences.

Gluten Free breads are available in the MDR. There are four different ones.... The ones with cranberry were my fav.... There was on (cake like) I didn't care for. But YES! She needs to go online before you sail & state her specialty needs... Or call Royal. At dinner the first night.... Tell your waiter... They will bring her her own plate of bread each night. GF options are in the specialty restaurants & in the Windjammer... Even pizza! Just tell them.... It may take a bit longer.... But she can eat GF pretty much anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would be careful about sending the gluten-free flag too high up. Your friend sounds like she has similar issues to my daughter - not Celiac, but needs to limit the amount of gluten, and she needs to be the judge of that. She knows what she can eat.

The minute we said "gluten issue" the wait staff in the dining room began carefully managing her food. We understood their concern, they didn't want a sick passenger. At the same time, she knew her own condition, and knew how to manage it. But the waiter was very unhappy if she ordered anything that went on the gluten side at all. "No, you should not have that." It became uncomfortable, night after night.

Your friend knows what she needs to do for herself. I'd be very careful, in your place, about deciding for her. Just ramps up the anxiety, which is not good.

Edited by wassup4565

I would be careful about sending the gluten-free flag too high up. Your friend sounds like she has similar issues to my daughter - not Celiac, but needs to limit the amount of gluten, and she needs to be the judge of that. She knows what she can eat.

The minute we said "gluten issue" the wait staff in the dining room began carefully managing her food. We understood their concern, they didn't want a sick passenger. At the same time, she knew her own condition, and knew how to manage it. But the waiter was very unhappy if she ordered anything that went on the gluten side at all. "No, you should not have that." It became uncomfortable, night after night.

Your friend knows what she needs to do for herself. I'd be very careful, in your place, about deciding for her. Just ramps up the anxiety, which is not good.

That is my fear right now. I'm not Celiac like my dad and sister, but I have some intolerances. If I'm munching bread every night I will be a wreck by the end of the week. Usually I can walk away from bread (I don't even buy it) but I will indulge on a piece of cake or an appetizer. I know it confuses people but I know my body and the amount I can handle. I am always interested in the GF pasta, since that is a bigger trigger for me.

Have been on MANY cruises as a Gluten Sensitive person & that has NEVER happened to me. I have to remind them sometimes when ordering.... Best to let them know up front.

That is my fear right now. I'm not Celiac like my dad and sister, but I have some intolerances. If I'm munching bread every night I will be a wreck by the end of the week. Usually I can walk away from bread (I don't even buy it) but I will indulge on a piece of cake or an appetizer. I know it confuses people but I know my body and the amount I can handle. I am always interested in the GF pasta, since that is a bigger trigger for me.

They need to know ahead of time (in the main dining room) that you want to have pasta.... I asked for it one night as I didn't like the menu choices... They had to go to a different kitchen to get the GF pasta & then cook it... It took a little longer than usual, but it worked. They said had I told them ahead of time (as in the night before).... They would have been prepared for it.... So DO tell them ahead of time for worry free dining.

Edited by SRV FAN

I don't have a lot to add, but I do have Celiac and we've chosen RC because I was well taken care of on our first cruise. (I honestly didn't think we'd ever be able to cruise because of this issue.)

I understand it's actually become even easier since we cruised in 2009. I remember having them toast the bread, it made things much easier.

Carnival / Holland America makes a simply delish GF Chocolate Molten Cake.... It is to die for... I've asked the chefs at Royal to make one.... They can.... But guess they have chosen not to... Eating GF .... That's what I miss the most in cruises.... Desserts! Get tired of Ice Cream & those funny looking green & orange gelatin catipillar looking things... Uggg. Oh & Creme Brulee is GF... But Royal hasn't make a good one yet.

Edited by SRV FAN

So glad to see this post. My husband has CD, so it is nice to know these options are out there. Should we try to talk to someone in the main dining room once we board the ship?

Also, does anyone know if Izumi has any GF options for sushi/sashimi/nigiri? We thought about getting some for lunch one day.

I agree with this. I have Ulcerative Colitis which is kept in check by eating gluten free. The reactions from the staff ran the gamut. The extremes were a waiter freaking out as described above to a waiter just answering everything was gluten free when I knew it couldn't be. Luckily, an excellent head waiter looked out for me when he was in the MDR and would walk over after my interactions with the staff to correct what was said and offer alternatives. Then I could decide for myself what I wanted.

What I've found is that there are many ways to prepare things like sauces - an easy example. They could be thickened with wheat flour, corn starch, or just a simple reduction. The wheat flour is the problem, but the other 2 are fine. If the staff jumps to prepare that sauce a different way just for me, I get a different product that most of the time is not as good and not worth asking for when there's another option on the menu that has no gluten in it and would taste better as prepared.

Now those gluten-free pancakes are worth asking for. :)

Edited by cathep

Having cruised with RCCL for years, and being Gluten Sensitive, it is important to let them know of health issues. If the ship has the MDR, let the waiter know and they will accommodate you. As mentioned, Sorrento's has a great GF pizza, made to order, on request. there are also GF Hamburger and Hot dog buns available in the windjammer, johnny rockets, the dog house, on request. Some ships have the cupcake shop with GF products. Always ask, and if in a specialty restaurant or the windjammer, ask a chef, and they will assist you in making GF selections.

I agree with this. I have Ulcerative Colitis which is kept in check by eating gluten free. The reactions from the staff ran the gamut. The extremes were a waiter freaking out as described above to a waiter just answering everything was gluten free when I knew it couldn't be. Luckily, an excellent head waiter looked out for me when he was in the MDR and would walk over after my interactions with the staff to correct what was said and offer alternatives. Then I could decide for myself what I wanted.

What I've found is that there are many ways to prepare things like sauces - an easy example. They could be thickened with wheat flour, corn starch, or just a simple reduction. The wheat flour is the problem, but the other 2 are fine. If the staff jumps to prepare that sauce a different way just for me, I get a different product that most of the time is not as good and not worth asking for when there's another option on the menu that has no gluten in it and would taste better as prepared.

Now those gluten-free pancakes are worth asking for. :)

Where Can I get the gf pancakes ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Where Can I get the gf pancakes ?

I got them in the Windjammer, but it took 15 minutes to get them and I had to go to the head chef to his daily irritation. At the end of the cruise, the chef told me that the batter was made in the MDR. So this cruise I'll go to the MDR for breakfast and order them. It will be nice to start the day without the chaos that is Windjammer.

Edited by cathep

I got them in the Windjammer, but it took 15 minutes to get them and I had to go to the head chef to his daily irritation. At the end of the cruise, the chef told me that the batter was made in the MDR. So this cruise I'll go to the MDR for breakfast and order them. It will be nice to start the day without the chaos that is Windjammer.

Thank you! I have celiac and dh and I are cruising the oasis in May. I'm trying to get as much information as possible so I don't waste time running around that massive ship in search of gf food lol.

h

I remember feeling as if I were going to eat my weight in GF poundcake and berries. It was on the buffet (on Rhapsody) every day.

Oh boy, I can't decide if I hope they have gf pound cake or not lol. I'm bound to eat too much!