Live from the Royal Princess, January 28- February 7: The Move-Over Boomerang Cruise

TracieABD

Tracie-Lynne,

Just an FYI, looks like there'll be a full house in St. Thomas:

Wednesday - February 4th

Allure of the Seas - Crown Bay

Carnival Splendor -Havensight

Norwegian Gem - Anchorage

Norwegian Getaway - Havensight

Regal Princess - Crown Bay

Royal Princess - Havensight

:D

Sunday, February (really??? February already???) 1, 2015

Bonaire

What a difference a day makes! I really thought that I would not have anything to do here. It has been a life-long dream dive in Bonaire. As most divers know, Bonaire is sort of the holy grail of the underwater world (along with Belize and the GBR).

A little background: I started diving on my honeymoon, almost 24 years ago. My husband and I honeymooned in Bermuda. We decided that since we were starting a new life together, we would find a new "shared hobby", something neither of us had ever done before. His pick was golf. Mine was SCUBA. During our golf lesson, the instructor, in his very heavy Scottish brogue (or is that Irish? Am I mixing my countries? Oh well... no matter), warned me not to quit my day job. I had zero talent for golf. Zip, nilch... Then it was time to try diving. Within 2 years of marriage, we were both certified divers. Winning! We stopped diving about 10 years ago, but fast forward to today (yep! today!)...

I tried to book a diving tour privately, and had no luck. So I booked with the ships tour. You have to fill out a whole mess of paperwork and report to the shore ex desk. Come to find out, because I had not had a registered dive within the last two years, I could not boat dive in Bonaire. So what to do now? I got up and got off the ship at 7:15 and started to wander a bit. I happened onto the Dive Friends Bonaire shop and asked them if they had snorkel tours. I chatted a bit with the guy there and he let me know if I came back in a hour, they would help me out. I returned to ship, ate some breakfast at Sabatini's and headed back over to the dive shop. Giddy. I was absolutely giddy with the thought of diving in Bonaire.

They hooked me up with Gordon, an ex-pat from Houston, who ran me through some refresher instruction and I had to take a test. I guess I passed the test, because Gordon set about finding the properly sized gear for me to use. And then all heck broke loose.

The cautionary tale portion of my live-from: On a boat that went out earlier (people staying on the island, not cruise ship people), one of the divers had an incident. (In the world of diving, incident = bad, and can be very, very bad. As in, very permanently bad, which is why any experienced diver always errs on the side of caution). I guess with in 30 feet of her initial descent, she lost consciousness. She was brought out of the water non-responsive. The boat returned and they took her away in an ambulance. She did regain consciousness in the hospital -- All right, people, exhale here, and it looks like she will be fine. This is precisely why I did not fudge my info on the Princess excursion form. Even a really experienced diver can suffer an indecent.

Back to my day... As it became all hands on deck to resolve this issue, calm the other divers and instructors, bring in the equipment, etc... I was asked to wait. They did hook me up with some free wifi, so I just stayed out of the way. It took well over an hour to resolve all of the loose ends, but that was fine with me. I realize what the priorities were and I opted to wait it out. Once things calmed considerably, Gordon and I proceeded to the open water portion. We strapped on the tanks and gear and walked all the way across the street. Upon entry into the water, we reviewed a bit more, and we were off. To be honest, upon reentry into the water, I may have felt a little panicky, but diving is a little like riding a bike (-- ok, it is NOTHING like riding a bike--- It would be silly to ride a bike underwater-- really, people). I took a moment to relax and quite literally catch my breath. And we were off to see the fish! We found a lovely little seahorse (I wonder if his name was Patrick-- I will call him Patrick- seems fitting), and some puffer fish, a huge tarpon, and some of the largest rass (wrass??? I am not quite sure of the spelling here, folks.) I have ever seen. We were able to swim amid huge schools of fish. It was amazing and I only wish I had a camera. I did struggle a bit to maintain neutral buoyancy, a rookie problem. Totally worth the wait. With the instruction, equipment, and private guide, the price was so reasonable. I would highly recommend the Dive Friends of Bonaire to anyone. I actually witnessed sound instruction AND how they respond to an incident. They are true pros.

The only down-side to the whole day is that I have water trapped in my eustation tubes. I still feel like I am underwater and I can't hear very well. (I feel like I am talking really loudly- maybe, I am typing really loudly!) HUH??? WHAT I CAN'T HEAR YOU! I HAVE WATER IN MY EARS! I know that this will pass, especially if I could lay still long enough to get my ears to drain.

Once I returned to ship, I decided to eat lunch at Alfredo's. True confession time. I ate the whole pizza. Diving is like skiing... It makes you really, really hungry. The pizza in Alfredo's is excellent, and it is easy to over-indulge. I just hope that I can maintain "neutral buoyancy" with my caloric intake vs. my caloric output. I did not walk this morning, so I will have to find time to put a couple of miles down.

Wow! This got long. I will quit here and post more later...

Thanks for sticking with me!

More later,

Tracie-Lynn :) :)

You're adding to the anticipation of my March 29 Royal cruise.

Are you saying I can get pizza at night in Horizon Court?

Or were you just walking through it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not in the Horizon. I was just walking through it.

:)

More Sunday, February 1, 2015

Back to the Sea

I spent most of the day trying to get the water out of my ears with little to no success. I now implore upon my CC friends--- any suggestions? I feel like I am underwater and I cannot hear too much. I would love to know of any voodoo, witchcraft, or any other methods to fix this. And go!

Not such good news about the "diver down" that was described in my last post. According to the Shore Ex desk (via a man who was on her tour), she did not make it. That is so sad, and my heart goes out to her family and friends. I hope that they take small comfort in the thought that she was doing something she loved (and I really hope this is true). It certainly lends a somber note to the day. I wish for her family peace.

I landed in the MDR for dinner. I decided to go solo, as my mom was not terribly interested in the menu. This was my first visit to the MDR. We have a 5:30 seating in the Allegro. I am not sure I am loving the new decor. The reds, grays and creams are much more cosmopolitan, but I think I miss the elegance of other dining rooms. The mid-ship dining rooms seem much more traditional. I would like to see the Chef's Table in action. I will not partake, but it would be nice to see the curtain descend. My meal this evening is a salad and Jerk Chicken Fajitas. The fajitas were interesting. It was spiced chicken pieces, ranchero-style beans and delicious pineapple salsa. I refrained from rolling it all into the tortilla. The best part was the pineapple salsa. But overall, it was just ok.

I am at a table for two in a line of tables for two that share a bench seat. The couple next to me are a bit older and have mastered that fine art of communication through bickering. It reminds me of my grandparents. A sample of their daily "conversation" would be:

Grandma: Arnold, what do you want for breakfast?

Grandpa: Eggs, bacon- burnt, toast with real butter.

Grandma: You know you can't have that. It is bad for your health.

Grandpa: Then why did you ask me?

Well, you get the idea. My table neighbors have bickered about the super bowl, the round rolls, the pronunciation of tomato (no kidding), book titles, length of time one should stare at the sea. And through all of this, you can tell they are totally dedicated to one another and definitely members of the "Til death do us part" club. And for those of you who want to chastise me for eaves-dropping, they are 3 feet away and pretty loud. (remember, my ears are full of water- a problem I hope you are helping me to solve). Actually, I think they are sweet, and I wish them many more years together. They share one beer and a really romantic toast. I might just be a little misty (and possibly missing my own fellow a bit).

After dinner, the ship is hunkered down for the big event: The Super Bowl. They are showing the game in the Vista Lounge, Princess Live, and on MUTS. There are balloons everywhere. They have also hung lots of tacky little football player cut-outs (think elementary school bulletin boards) on the walls. There are tailgate parties. I don't love football, but it is fun to watch a good party. I might have to poke my nose into one.I lived in both Seattle and New England. I just can't pick, and I am glad I don't have to. Anyway- I hope your team wins.

I think I will head to the Atrium to see These Guys perform acapella. They did not disappoint. They performed songs like Barbara Ann and Pretty Woman. True toe-tappers. There were a number of people who hung out for both shows. But to be honest, most people are watching the big game. I am laying on my side... wishing, hoping that my ears will clear. Did I mention, if any of you have a suggestion, I am open to it!

That is it for tonight- Thanks for spending the day with me.

More later-

Tracie-Lynn :) :)

With diving I just remember holding your nose and doing the gentle blow while swallowing, but I'm guessing you've tried that. So sorry for that distressing end to your dive but hope you wake to better results!

Edited by LoriPhil

Try this

3. Blow Dryer

A blow dryer can also be used to speed up evaporation of the trapped fluid. The warm, dry air will turn the water to steam and eventually help it dissipate out of the ear.

Pull your ear lobe away from your body.

Hold a blow dryer about 10 to 12 inches away from your ear.

Set the dryer heat to warm and air flow to low.

Turn the dryer on and aim it directly into the ear canal.

Hold the dryer in position for approximately 30 seconds.

If required, repeat again.

Now: Do not do this for more than a few minutes at one time.

Found this on the net...

Here are the top 10 ways to get water out of your ear.

1. Gravity

The best way to remove water from your ear is to let gravity do the work.

1. Tilt your head sideways and hold the affected ear parallel to the ground.

2. Place the palm of your hand flat against your ear and press hard for a few seconds. Quickly remove your hand. A temporary vacuum will form that will dislodge the fluid.

3. Use a cotton ear bud to very carefully remove the fluid draining from the ear.

Yawning or chewing motions can also help get water out of the ear canal by creating pressure in the middle ear and stretching the ear canal.

Note: Do not insert the ear bud into the ear.

2. Valsalva Maneuver

Performing the Valsalva maneuver will help pop your ears to*open the Eustachian tubes and push water out of your ears.

1. Close your mouth and pinch your nostrils closed with your fingers, then take a deep breath.

2. Gently blow air out of your nose to regulate the air pressure. If done correctly, you will hear a slight popping sound which means the Eustachian tubes are open again.

Note: Don’t blow your nose too hard as it may cause damage to the ear drum.

3. Blow Dryer

A blow dryer can also be used to speed up evaporation of the trapped fluid. The warm, dry air will turn the water to steam and eventually help it dissipate out of the ear.

1. Pull your ear lobe away from your body.

2. Hold a blow dryer about 10 to 12 inches away from your ear.

3. Set the dryer heat to warm and air flow to low.

4. Turn the dryer on and aim it directly into the ear canal.

5. Hold the dryer in position for approximately 30 seconds.

6. If required, repeat again.

Now: Do not do this for more than a few minutes at one time.

4. Rubbing Alcohol and Vinegar

Rubbing alcohol and vinegar is an age-old home remedy to get rid of fluid in the ear. While the antibacterial properties of vinegar will help kill germs present in the ear, rubbing alcohol helps dry up the water in the ear.

1. Mix together one teaspoon each of rubbing alcohol and vinegar.

2. Using a dropper, put two to three drops of this solution into the affected ear.

3. Rub the opening of the ear canal gently.

4. Wait for 30 seconds.

5. Tilt your head so that the fluid can easily drain out.

5. Heat Therapy

Heat therapy can help free your ears of fluid quickly. The heat compress will help open the Eustachian tube (where fluid typically builds up), so that the fluid can escape easily.

1. Dip a washcloth in a bowl of hot water, and wring out the excess water.

2. Place the hot washcloth against the affected ear for 30 seconds.

3. Wait for a minute, and then repeat.

4. Do this four or five times at a stretch.

5. Lie down on your side to help the fluid drain out.

6. Steam

Inhaling steam is another easy way to ease fluid buildup in the ear. Steam will help open the Eustachian tube, in turn encouraging the release of fluid trapped in the ear.

1. Pour hot steaming water in a large bowl.

2. Cover your head with a towel and inhale the steam slowly for five to 10 minutes.

3. Tilt your head to one side.

4. Fluid will start coming out of the ear.

You can also take a hot shower to draw fluid out of the ear canal.

7. Hydrogen Peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide is another very effective option to get rid of fluid in ear. Due to its effervescent property, hydrogen peroxide can easily remove the trapped fluid, along with ear wax and debris from the ear canal.

1. Using a dropper, put four to five drops of three percent hydrogen peroxide into the affected ear.

2. Allow it to settle for one or two minutes.

3. Tilt your head downwards to allow the fluid to drain out easily.

9. Salt

Salt can be used to treat fluid in ear as it easily absorbs water. The heat from the hot salt compress also will help the fluid evaporate and relieve pain.

1. Heat one-fourth cup of salt in the microwave.

2. Put the salt in a cotton cloth and tie it tightly.

3. Hold this cloth near the opening of the affected ear for two to three minutes.

8. Garlic

Garlic is another great treatment to dislodge fluid in the ear. Plus, garlic has antibacterial properties that help prevent ear infection as well as reduce pain.

1. Press a few garlic cloves to extract the juice.

2. Put two or three drops of garlic juice in the affected ear.

3. Wait for one minute, and then blow dry the ear from about 12 inches away from the head. (See Blow Dryer remedy above)

10. Olive Oil

Olive oil is a great remedy to facilitate the flow of fluid trapped in the ear. Also, its antiseptic properties will reduce the risk of ear infection.

1. Slightly warm some olive oil in a small bowl.

2. Using a dropper, a few drops of warm olive oil in the ear.

3. Allow it to settle for 10 minutes.

4. Next, turn your head sideways and remove the oil as well as the fluid with a soft ear bud.

Putting two to three drops of olive oil in*each ear before going for swimming will lubricate the tissues lining the ear canal and help prevent water from getting trapped in the ears.

If none of these tips work and you still have fluid in ear, consult a doctor to avoid further complications.

Hope it helps

I am not a doctor and don't really know how to get water out of your ear but I did find this on the internet:

How to Remove Water from Your Ear

Common Ways to Remove Water from Your Ear

Drain Your Ear. First gently wipe the outer ear with a soft towel and tilt your head to the side to facilitate water draining out of the ear canal. Gently pull downward on the earlobe and move it front to back to help open the ear canal to release the trapped water. If that doesn't work, tilt the affected ear towards the floor and hop on one foot or jump up and down to dislodge the water. Stubborn trapped water may respond to gravity so try lying with the affected ear down. Yawning or chewing motions also help propel water out of the ear canal. Chewing uses the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) located below the ear canal and causes stretching and movement of the ear canal helping to remove water trapped in the ear.

Blow-dry Your Ear. A rapid method to remove trapped water in the ear canal is to use a hair dryer. Use the lowest heat setting, or a cool air setting if available, and hold the blow dryer at least a foot away from the ear. Try pulling on the ear canal to allow more air to enter the canal. Another option is to blow the air at an angle to the ear. Both methods allow the water to evaporate and may also push out the water causing it to drain rapidly.

Use Ear Drops and Ear-Drain Mixture. The following are effective in removing water from the ear. Do NOT use any of these if the eardrum is perforated or punctured or if you have had recent ear surgery.

Alcohol and Vinegar. Mixing equal parts of rubbing alcohol and vinegar creates this simple remedy. Place two drops of this mixture in the affected ear to get rid water. This simple solution can also be used to prevent ear infections by limiting the growth bacteria. Swimmers often suffer ear infections (swimmer's ear) due to the excess moisture trapped in the ear. This creates the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and fungus. Try putting two drops in each ear before you go in the pool and again after getting out of the water. This is a highly effective way to prevent swimmer's ear.

Salt Water Solution. Salt water is an effective way to flush out wax and trapped water. It also helps prevent infections in the ear. Simply mix 1 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon salt to make this solution. Stir or shake vigorously to ensure the salt is dissolved. Use only room temperature water because too hot or cold of water will cause discomfort and dizziness. Use a bulb syringe to squirt the mixture into the ear canal.

Garlic and Olive Oil. Garlic is well known for its antibacterial properties and olive oil provides soothing relief for a variety of ailments. First crush a few cloves of garlic and then add some olive oil in a small pan. Gently warm and stir the crushed garlic and olive oil but do not boil or fry. Use a strainer and collect the mixture in a small container for storage. After it has cooled, place a few drops inside the ear to prevent infection or relieve discomfort.

Chew Gum. The act of chewing is very effective in removing trapped water from the ear. The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) motion creates pressure in the middle ear and stretches the ear canal helping to push water out of the ear.

Add More Water to Ear. The cohesive force of liquids will work to remove water from the ear. Tilt the affected ear upwards and then add several drops of room temperature water. Now rapidly turn that ear downwards. Liquids, including water, tend to stick together and this is an effective way to drain the water from your ear.

Steps to Remove Water from Your Ear after Swimming

Swimming often results in water trapped inside the ear canal. Removing this water as soon as possible after swimming is the best way to prevent ear infections. The common name for this is swimmer's ear and it can be quite painful. Follow the steps below to get rid of water trapped in the ear.

Shake Your Head. Simply shake your head side-to-side after swimming. This is a basic yet effective way to remove water after swimming. If that doesn't work, follow the steps outlined below.

Pop Your Ears. Pinch your nose shut and gently blow but keep your lips pressed tightly together. The eardrums will be pushed outwards and "pop" causing water to be pushed from the ear canal.

Use Rubbing Alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is highly effective in drying up moisture. The alcohol will also help prevent infection and kill bacteria in the ear canal. Effective options include rubbing alcohol or over-the-counter drops. Treat one ear at a time and keep the treated ear up so the rubbing alcohol doesn't drain right back out.

Yawn. Yawning stretches the ear canal and facilitates spontaneous drainage of water from the ear. Pull on your ear lobe to increase the effectiveness of this technique. Yawn a few times after placing a few drops of rubbing alcohol in the ear canal to help it spread throughout the canal before moving on to the next step.

Wait. Wait at least 30 seconds before changing position of your head otherwise the alcohol will run out before it has a chance to work.

Pour and Dry. Tip your head down and allow any remaining water and rubbing alcohol to drain out of the ear. If your hearing is still off or the sensation of trapped water persists, repeat the above process.

Steps to Remove Water Deep in Your Ear

Lie Down. Lie down on your side and direct the affected ear upwards.

Dip Rubbing Alcohol. Take a clean cotton ball or swab and completely saturate it by dipping it into a container of rubbing alcohol.

Drop Rubbing Alcohol. Take the saturated cotton ball or swab and place it over the affected ear. Let a few drops of the rubbing alcohol drip into the ear.

Sit Up. Now sit up and let the alcohol further mix with the water in the ear canal. Don't be alarmed if you hear a small pop or crackle, as this is normal. The water will now start to evaporate from the action of the alcohol.

Repeat. Repeat if the sensation of trapped water continues and use this technique on the other ear to relieve symptoms.

Warnings:

Never put anything smaller than your elbow into the ear canal. This common adage will prevent damage or injury to the delicate structures of the ear. Many have punctured their eardrum by sticking sharp or pointed objects into the ear canal to relieve trapped water.

Use a chair or table for support when hopping. Trapped water can cause dizziness and loss of balance.

Rubbing alcohol or over-the-counter drops may sting or burn for a few seconds. This will rapidly go away so don't be alarmed.

Consult a doctor if the above do not relieve the symptoms of trapped water. Sometimes wax completely blocks the ear canal and prevents the water from escaping. If you are having ear pain and decreased hearing, it is a good idea to see a doctor who can look inside the ear with a special light.

Edit to add: watch out because it could turn into swimmers ear or an ear infection.

I hope you feel better soon.

Edited by dickinson

When I was having issues with ear infections after swimming (no ear plugs, not smart on my part) the Doctor told me to use a 50-50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol applied with a dropper to clear out and dry my ears. That seemed to do the trick.

Well, where were all these wonderful ideas last month when my ear was totally clogged!?? Thanks to everyone. Most I have tried. My ear is on it's way to opening but it took major drug therapy to get it there.

I also tried a week of oil of oregano soft gel pills. Some people swear by taking a drop of the oil every day as a preventive from getting sinus and ear infections. I couldn't think of the oil in it's native deal, but maybe a pill? EVERYTHING, and I mean everything tasted like oregano. I burped it, and then more. . . Tums or other antacids didn't help, so. . .don't go there!

I tried sudefed for a weekend. Nothing. But is will help the sinus cavities and ears for some people.

I have ended up taking a round of cortisone. First day was 6 pills, till tomorrow, day six, I take only one. For the first time in about a month, I think it is working!

Saying prayers tonight for the family of the woman who loved life!

Loving your live from. We would really get along!!!

Monday, February 2, 2015

Grenada

Ugh... I woke up with a head cold. At first, I thought I had gotten salt water in my sinuses from diving, but no. This is head cold. I may be dangerously teetering on the edge of a "man cold", which means I may be near my final days. I found some Halls in the store, but I was running low on Motrin. The good news is my ears are no longer water sodden. The blow dryer wins the day! Thank you, friends for all of the help!

I decided to cancel my shore ex to the Underwater Sculpture Park. I have no business putting my face on other people's equipment. Thankfully, the shore-ex desk cancelled my trip and refunded me. Actually, I wasn't all that concerned about a refund, I just knew that snorkeling was out of the question. I did go into Grenada to buy some more Halls and Motrin. There is a little pharmacy shop in the mall area at the port. It was packed, so obviously people were in need of health care products. Lots of people asking for Z-Pacs and antibiotics. I guess there are some sick people on board. (who probably touched the handrails with their germy little fingers--grrrrrr).

I attempted to nap some this afternoon. We were berthed next to the P&O Voyager (???). As they were getting ready to leave Grenada, we had a fun little song battle with them. Lots of singing, and chanting, and horn-blowing! It was fun and it was the first time I have seen a P&O vessel. I think it looked a lot like the Grand class of Princess ships, which makes me think it may be Fincanntieri build. Not sure, but it was interesting that it had extended Deck 10 balconies (like those on the Caribe deck) and a big box on the top deck that was probably a bar like Skywalkers. Of course, it never dawned on me to take a picture. I swear, some day, I will take pictures.

We ate dinner in the MDR. I had dried beef, a salad, and the most delicious gazpacho. I also had an appetizer sized portion of the fettacini Alfredo. It was good. They offered a Norman Love white chocolate cheesecake. Amaze-balls!

We have decided to pack it in early tonight so I can rest my man cold. I hope I am up for hiking in Dominica tomorrow.

Monday, February 2, 2015

Grenada

We were berthed next to the P&O Voyager (???). As they were getting ready to leave Grenada, we had a fun little song battle with them. Lots of singing, and chanting, and horn-blowing! It was fun and it was the first time I have seen a P&O vessel. I think it looked a lot like the Grand class of Princess ships, which makes me think it may be Fincanntieri build.

That would have been P&O's Ventura, and as you observed, she is indeed a Grand-class cruise ship:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Ventura

:D

Am I the only person that doesn't know what a man cold is?

From Urban Dictionary:

The name 'man cold' disguises the true terrible, debilitating disease that is the man cold. Nearly all men will die from man colds unless they are administered immediately with large amounts of mindless TV such as daytime TV, or childrens' cartoons. It is essential that they not move from bed or a comfy sofa to allow for rehabilitation, and must have tissues and man cold medicine (such as chocolate biscuits, McDonalds, or a nice cup of tea) brought to them constantly by a nearby female.

One more:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/walgreens/reasons-there-is-no-cure-for-the-common-man-cold?s=mobile

;)

From Urban Dictionary:

The name 'man cold' disguises the true terrible, debilitating disease that is the man cold. Nearly all men will die from man colds unless they are administered immediately with large amounts of mindless TV such as daytime TV, or childrens' cartoons. It is essential that they not move from bed or a comfy sofa to allow for rehabilitation, and must have tissues and man cold medicine (such as chocolate biscuits, McDonalds, or a nice cup of tea) brought to them constantly by a nearby female.

One more:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/walgreens/reasons-there-is-no-cure-for-the-common-man-cold?s=mobile

;)

I thought that was just normal behavior :)