VIFP Club Benefits Change(email from Carnival)

FlorenceItaly

I'm confused about everyone complaining about the loss of 1 drink in exchange for 1 bottle of water. Isn't it actually for one free bottle of water each day, so for a 7 day cruise it's 1 drink vs 7 bottles of water?

We purchased Cheers on our last 2 cruises, so the free drink coupon meant nothing to us, but DH drinks lots of bottled water that we have to lug on and/or paid for.

I personally like the change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't believe it is.

Just read it again and that is untrue. It is for a single bottle of water.

Edited by Pixelate

As they try to slip the curve ball by their customers, consider this. They are hoping that many will say I would rather have the water. If they were really addressing customer concerns, they could put a check box on your voucher to select a bottle of water in your stateroom, leaving it for the room steward who would bring the water during an ensuing room servicing. And if your thought is more work for the steward, it would be far less than bringing a bottle to every red card and up room.

It's smoke and mirrors, a deception, a takeaway. The feedback gathered wasn't that water was preferred over the drink voucher. It is a shallow excuse for a cut. Again, I am more bothered by the deception than the cut. It's assuming that many customers will be fooled into thinking it's a favor.

Water or drink is addressing the feedback. Water, not drink is a thinly veiled cutback.

As they try to slip the curve ball by their customers, consider this. They are hoping that many will say I would rather have the water. If they were really addressing customer concerns, they could put a check box on your voucher to select a bottle of water in your stateroom, leaving it for the room steward who would bring the water during an ensuing room servicing. And if your thought is more work for the steward, it would be far less than bringing a bottle to every red card and up room.

It's smoke and mirrors, a deception, a takeaway. The feedback gathered wasn't that water was preferred over the drink voucher. It is a shallow excuse for a cut. Again, I am more bothered by the deception than the cut. It's assuming that many customers will be fooled into thinking it's a favor.

Water or drink is addressing the feedback. Water, not drink is a thinly veiled cutback.

Same deception when the Fun Farewell party (that was secret and never advertised) was cancelled for "lack of participation".

The only people who attended were the ones who read about the party on CC before their cruise!

Same deception when the Fun Farewell party (that was secret and never advertised) was cancelled for "lack of participation".

The only people who attended were the ones who read about the party on CC before their cruise!

Well, it was advertised in very small print on the first day as something to look forward to. The Fun Farewell Party was set up to die, just as the late Captain's Celebration that it replaced.

Well, it was advertised in very small print on the first day as something to look forward to. The Fun Farewell Party was set up to die, just as the late Captain's Celebration that it replaced.

Very true.

If it had been advertised as well as the bingo or inch of gold sale, the place would have been packed! Obviously not their intent for it to succeed. :mad:

Very true.

If it had been advertised as well as the bingo or inch of gold sale, the place would have been packed! Obviously not their intent for it to succeed. :mad:

Maybe even more packed than a bingo session at the same exact time. ;)

Carnival continues to downgrade....its very unprofessional to take this away after having it for so many years. To throw us a cheap bottle of water is insane, at least replace the drink to something that people would appreciate more perhaps a carnival key chain. I feel taking away my free drink which is worth lets say $8.00 if I were to purchase it on the ship and by giving me a bottle of water which is just water that I can get in the buffet at a bar or in the MDR is a slap in the fact to me, you know where they can put that bottle of water!

Carnival continues to downgrade....its very unprofessional to take this away after having it for so many years. To throw us a cheap bottle of water is insane, at least replace the drink to something that people would appreciate more perhaps a carnival key chain. I feel taking away my free drink which is worth lets say $8.00 if I were to purchase it on the ship and by giving me a bottle of water which is just water that I can get in the buffet at a bar or in the MDR is a slap in the fact to me, you know where they can put that bottle of water!

This isn't the first time, though. Back in 2012, Carnival removed perks from Platinum passengers without adding anything except this free drink to be used at brunch, all while saying there will only be improvements for three years and the entire program is brilliant.

We're Platinum, so although this change doesn't affect us directly, I do approve of it. A previous poster in this thread gave the reason: the poster commented about how very many days of cruising it will take before he gets to the Platinum level and can get this free drink again.

Well, yeah! That's why I support this announcement and change. It took me a lot of CCL cruise purchases since 2009 to get the perks that come with the Platinum level. That's a lot of investment and loyalty on my part. After next week's cruise and next year's b2b on the Vista, I'll be getting mighty close to Diamond.

I would actually like to see more differentiation between all the loyalty levels.

If it was me you are talking about, you totally misunderstand my point. Should someone with 75+ nights get a ton of benefits for their loyalty? Of course! Heck, you should get MORE perks.

My point was it is an ineffective loyalty program when people that take less frequent cruises or are new to cruising don't get anything for their early loyalty. Me, with a cruise a year in 3 years, sees no point in staying loyal to Carnival when RCI or others offers similar itineraries and similar prices.

What I want a more progressive application of perks. Have something for 40 or 50 days. A free drink was a simple, cheap perk in the grand scheme of things. Even then, they should have more.

I'm not going to choose Carnival again on the sole basis that I can get priority boarding and free laundry a decade from now. Making loyalty programs useless makes for a loss of loyalty. It's that simple.

When I was looking at my January cruise next year, I looked at the Serenade OTS 10-day Jan 15, and the Conquest 8-day Jan 24. They were close in price, and it was a close decision. In this case, maybe some decent perks (or the prospect of decent perks for my next voyage) would make me go the other way.

Heck, I find a bigger problem in the way Carnival has approached this. Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining. Don't lie and say this was "customer preference" when it is clear the vast majority (especially among those non-platinums that don't still get the coupon) is against the change.

I have never used my drink coupons anyway but do enjoy bottled water. We were just on the Fascination for 5 days and we didn't use our coupons. We purchased between 10-15 mixed drinks but we have always thought it would be too much trouble to try and use the coupons. Maybe I'm wrong? I bring a case of water plus drink the ships water so the free bottle of water is fine with me. I do see how it's another cut back though. We're sick of the cutbacks!

This bothers me. The single drink, for a red VIFP, is really the only perk and was the only replacement for the captain's party with the free alcohol. Now there is really no perk until someone is gold - I can bring bottled water on the ship if I want, and, besides that, I never drink bottled water. I can get it for free out of the tap!!

Rats! My next cruise is on February 15 so I will miss my drink.

We always went to the brunch about 11 AM the first sea day and they were not too crowded at that time and we would relax with a Tiramisu martini afterwards.

Another little joy lost........

For 75 days sailed, don't you think you should get at least two coupons! lol. Or a premium bottle or something? And since the issue with it was that it was too restrictive, why not loosen the restriction for everyone else and come up with something better for Platinum

That would be nice. But I'm also a CCL shareholder and I want the corporation to survive and thrive. If this means cutting a corner or two, the reason is not to be mean to guests, but to keep the ships sailing and providing a decent affordable vacation for a whole lot of people. I support this.

For those of us who have sailed and continue to sail multiple times per year on a regular basis, I think we deserve a perk or two for coming back over and over again. Priority boarding and free laundering are the two biggies for me. Both of those are service-oriented and don't really impact the ship's budget.

The kinds of premiums you mention are available on other, more expensive cruise lines. I enjoy those things. But I have to pay a higher fare for them.

I have never used my drink coupons anyway but do enjoy bottled water. We were just on the Fascination for 5 days and we didn't use our coupons. We purchased between 10-15 mixed drinks but we have always thought it would be too much trouble to try and use the coupons. Maybe I'm wrong? I bring a case of water plus drink the ships water so the free bottle of water is fine with me. I do see how it's another cut back though. We're sick of the cutbacks!

Just curious if you are purchasing 10-15 mixed drinks a day, did you purchase the Cheers program?

On my last 3 cruises I did not use the coupon, but did have Cheers so it was no big deal. My thoughts were the coupon was kind of lame. I concur it should have been good for one free drink anywhere.

But consider this many return customers do not drink alcohol due to age, personal choice, or medical indications. Yet I have never seen a thread complaining about CCL discriminating against those who do NOT drink alcohol.

I'm not convinced that this is going to save Carnival money either, it doesn't cost them a lot in supplies to make a mixed drink. Yet the profit margin is HUGE.

Personally have never purchased a bottle of water on a ship. Tap water is fine with me.

Just curious if you are purchasing 10-15 mixed drinks a day, did you purchase the Cheers program?

On my last 3 cruises I did not use the coupon, but did have Cheers so it was no big deal. My thoughts were the coupon was kind of lame. I concur it should have been good for one free drink anywhere.

But consider this many return customers do not drink alcohol due to age, personal choice, or medical indications. Yet I have never seen a thread complaining about CCL discriminating against those who do NOT drink alcohol.

I'm not convinced that this is going to save Carnival money either, it doesn't cost them a lot in supplies to make a mixed drink. Yet the profit margin is HUGE.

Personally have never purchased a bottle of water on a ship. Tap water is fine with me.

My kids are gold and they looked forward to a shirley temple or virgin smoothie at the brunch. :( I am sure you could have used coupon at brunch to get a bottle of water.

I am Platinum (almost Diamond) so this doesn't actually affect me but I'm also a Stock Holder so as others have said I want them to continue doing good. I love cruising Carnival and don't do it for the drink coupon. I just love the Fun Ships. Companies everywhere are trying to save money in this economy so they have to do the same. We are taking a 12 day cruise shortly for about $550 pp so how I can complain. Awesome deals.

Edited by rlkubi

DW is Platinum and I'm still Gold. The free drink at brunch is probably her one of two drinks on board. I'm sure she'll jump at the liter water, as she has some strange belief that the water on the ship isn't goo (but she drinks it in coffee and tea and lemonade:rolleyes:).

For me the free drink was one less I have to pay for. But can't live without if push comes to shove. Ship water is plentiful and always free so when I sail with DW, she'll get 2 bottles and I won't have to lug any on board. A win in that box!:D

I am Platinum (almost Diamond) so this doesn't actually affect me but I'm also a Stock Holder so as others have said I want them to continue doing good. I love cruising Carnival and don't do it for the drink coupon. I just love the Fun Ships. Companies everywhere are trying to save money in this economy so they have to do the same. We are taking a 12 day cruise shortly for about $550 pp so how I can complain. Awesome deals.

Based on your perspective, would you then please consider advising Carnival that they should remove the benefit for Diamond and Platinum also to even further continue the awesome deals?

Seriously...if you can afford enough cruises to become gold plated, diamond crusted, or solid platinum...buy your own drinks. Or move to a cruise line that will cater to your refined sense of entitilement...because if you dropped $50,000 over a lifetime in the hopes of getting a $8 drink you may be going about it the wrong way. :rolleyes:

NO! It's ONE bottle of water. Period. It stinks!

I guess you're right, I just re-read Op's post. I haven't gotten the email yet, but did see they added a note to the Perks List on CCL website regarding the change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Wanna_Cruize