No more free drink coupon

thomarvin

Ok...I have been thinking about this since yesterday morning when I read that email about the free drink coupon going away. My first reaction was "ugh" what will they take away next?

Saw the posts here and was not ready yet to chime in with my reaction. I really would rather they leave that coupon in place, better yet, give it to use at any bar, any time on the ship, but I dont see that happening anytime. It is just one drink, cant see that breaking a big corp like Carnival.

However.....the change wont get me worked up into lathers of discontent. Before my Nov 2014 cruise, my previous one was in 2010, and at that time there was no sea day brunch, and no free drink coupon. I was perfectly happy with Carnival up to then. I was finally able to cruise again only in 2014, and finally got to enjoy sea day brunch and my free drink coupon. I really liked it, but I am not going to get myself all worked up because a perk is gone. Some, actually lots have gone before, and some did work me up, like no more 150pc pricing on 1as for solo cruisers, and the previous captains party.

It is not worth it however IMO to get all worked up over one drink, and if it does bother a person so much, then they can always complain in the direct route, directly to Carnival, or take their business elsewhere.

Yes I wish they would just give us a free drink, anywhere, anytime. But it is not going to happen. I loved my cruise in November. Just because I wont get a free drink next time, wont bother me all that much.

I think though, if they were going to take it away, just take it away, and dont throw in a free bottle of water. That just cheapened the whole thing.

JMHO. We all have differing ones and I respect them all, this just mine.

Happy cruising to all.:)

Edited by SMSACE6

I will never, ever, ever understand this line of reasoning. As I am typing this, I am sitting in a hotel where we happen to be Diamond members of their rewards program. I can tell you that if their rooms were not nice or reasonably priced (good value), if their customer service was bad or if we didn't enjoy the benefits of the rewards program WE WOULD CHANGE BRANDS. I would not continue to stay at this brand and complain about the perks given (or not given). We enjoy the perks, so we continue to return in order to keep our Diamond status, but the moment that the individual stay doesn't justify the rewards given, we will move on.

I truly don't understand continuing to cruise Carnival to "work at raising my status".? If all they do is "disappoint, downgrade, or take away things", then why do you want to have any status with them?? It's like people are gritting their teeth through their cruises and saying to themselves, "Only two more of these horrible cruises and then we will have status - and then we can stand in a short line and get a free drink on the rest of our horrible cruises".

Am I the only one that doesn't get it??

I don't get it either. :) Reminds me of the people booking more cruises to get the platinum a little over a year ago, under the old program. You've got to be kidding, especially the ones who didn't cruise that often and worked. Why would anyone ever waste their money and time?

It also is interesting the complaints about "perks" and they aren't frequent cruisers. I would think if you only have a few trips/year your focus would be on the vacation?

I don't get it either. :) Reminds me of the people booking more cruises to get the platinum a little over a year ago, under the old program. You've got to be kidding, especially the ones who didn't cruise that often and worked. Why would anyone ever waste their money and time?

It also is interesting the complaints about "perks" and they aren't frequent cruisers. I would think if you only have a few trips/year your focus would be on the vacation?

There are thousands who complete mileage runs to maintain airline status, just as there are thousands who complete mattress runs to maintain hotel status. Do you think people wouldn't fly around the world for no reason other than to maintain status would do so if they didn't value the benefits? Do you think people would book three rooms per night at some random category 1 hotel they don't plan on staying to maintain status would do so if there wasn't a perceived benefit?

There are forums dedicated to completing these mileage and mattress runs. As an example, FlyerTalk: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/. This has the same importance as those who took additional cruises to become Platinum, just as the perceived benefit to Red/Gold members was important to some.

There are thousands who complete mileage runs to maintain airline status, just as there are thousands who complete mattress runs to maintain hotel status. Do you think people wouldn't fly around the world for no reason other than to maintain status would do so if they didn't value the benefits? Do you think people would book three rooms per night at some random category 1 hotel they don't plan on staying to maintain status would do so if there wasn't a perceived benefit?

There are forums dedicated to completing these mileage and mattress runs. As an example, FlyerTalk: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/. This has the same importance as those who took additional cruises to become Platinum, just as the perceived benefit to Red/Gold members was important to some.

So you are claiming people just "fly and stay in Hotels" for benefits? Adding extra days and distances just to keep up status? Add this to what appears to be the average family who only travels a couple times per year? I don't see any/many people reporting what you state. I see way more posts of the single trip per year people plan, with claims of budgets.

So you are claiming people just "fly and stay in Hotels" for benefits? Adding extra days and distances just to keep up status? I don't see any/many people reporting what you state. I see way more posts of the single trip per year people plan, with claims of budgets.

Yes.

See below.

This is a common practice and provides benefits for those who value them. Just as you stated people added extra cruises to achieve Platinum status, it was important to them. This free drink voucher was important to some.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-hhonors/1526196-mattress-run-can-i-check-leave.html

https://www.google.com/#q=mattress+run+site:www.flyertalk.com

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2014/03/21/economics-hotel-mattress-running/

Edited by Pixelate

After reading the details, I'm happy that Platinum will get both the water and the free drink coupon.

http://www.carnival.com/loyalty/benefits.aspx

I agree though that the past guest party isn't very valuable. In 25 Carnival cruises, I just attended for the first time on my last cruise. I couldn't get waited on to get a drink or a snack, so I just got up and left. My impression was that it isn't worth my time.

Scottsweetie- For me to continue going on Carnival doesn't get me anything more or different...I am 51 and I have been on 53 cruises, I take two cruises a year sometimes 3 plus 2-3 land vacations per year, I have been there and seen it all....I cruise to take a trip, I don't go for the itinerary, price isn't an issue to my other half he pay anything but I like a bargain and I like a good price, call it a hobby of mine.....I don't even consider convenience if there is a ship I want to go on I get to it, BUT I am watching Carnival to be the cruise line that has more cutbacks than RC, Celebrity, NCL and Princess in the past few years and quite honestly I am fed up with it. It gets disappointing to see how better Carnival used to be and watch it get worse and worse.

I do like to raise my status, do you realize right now on any RC cruise I take I automatically get exclusive rates and on top of that get an additional $100 off a cabin? If I take two more cruises on RC, I will be emerald status and that is more money on top of the $100 to automatically be taken off my price of the cruise, I happen to enjoy that incentive RC gives to me, I certainly can pay regular price but a bargain to me makes me happy and this is why I want to boost my status up.

RC also has an onboard booking bonus, when onboard a cruise if I were to book up a cruise I will get another $100 off on top of that PLUS I get $150 shipboard credit! So yes, I enjoy boosting up my status to get the "freebies" and having money off on my cruises and shipboard credit I say is only a great thing to get, wouldn't you like to get these perks from Carnival, I am sure you would if they offered it!! Maybe now you understand, but its not the money issue to me, its enjoying the perks and incentives that are given even if it were just a free drink its nice to know the cruise line is doing something nice for me. I used to love Carnival a lot more but they are just drastically diminishing their product in so many ways and is another reason why I need to go elsewhere.

Scottsweetie- For me to continue going on Carnival doesn't get me anything more or different...I am 51 and I have been on 53 cruises, I take two cruises a year sometimes 3 plus 2-3 land vacations per year, I have been there and seen it all....I cruise to take a trip, I don't go for the itinerary, price isn't an issue to my other half he pay anything but I like a bargain and I like a good price, call it a hobby of mine.....I don't even consider convenience if there is a ship I want to go on I get to it, BUT I am watching Carnival to be the cruise line that has more cutbacks than RC, Celebrity, NCL and Princess in the past few years and quite honestly I am fed up with it. It gets disappointing to see how better Carnival used to be and watch it get worse and worse.

I do like to raise my status, do you realize right now on any RC cruise I take I automatically get exclusive rates and on top of that get an additional $100 off a cabin? If I take two more cruises on RC, I will be emerald status and that is more money on top of the $100 to automatically be taken off my price of the cruise, I happen to enjoy that incentive RC gives to me, I certainly can pay regular price but a bargain to me makes me happy and this is why I want to boost my status up.

RC also has an onboard booking bonus, when onboard a cruise if I were to book up a cruise I will get another $100 off on top of that PLUS I get $150 shipboard credit! So yes, I enjoy boosting up my status to get the "freebies" and having money off on my cruises and shipboard credit I say is only a great thing to get, wouldn't you like to get these perks from Carnival, I am sure you would if they offered it!! Maybe now you understand, but its not the money issue to me, its enjoying the perks and incentives that are given even if it were just a free drink its nice to know the cruise line is doing something nice for me. I used to love Carnival a lot more but they are just drastically diminishing their product in so many ways and is another reason why I need to go elsewhere.

What is concerning is Jim Berra who had developed Starwood's SPG loyalty program, recognized as one of the best programs in the industry, designed such a poor program here. This leads me to believe Carnival is to blame. When we were told for three years how brilliant the new VIFP Club would be, how we wouldn't lose any perks and how innovative it would be, it was quite shocking to see perks taken away from Platinum members and the only addition being the free drink voucher and now a bottle of water. The cuts continue and devalue the product overall, including the perspective guests have of this organization.

Tastes are subjective. What is important to me may not be important to you and vice versa. I don't use the pools, hot tubs or slides onboard, but I don't go around chanting they should be removed to devalue the product for those who enjoy such amenities. We aren't one to judge what others find important or how they live their lifestyles. Thankfully we are all different, unique and not sheep.

Edited by Pixelate

So you are claiming people just "fly and stay in Hotels" for benefits? Adding extra days and distances just to keep up status? Add this to what appears to be the average family who only travels a couple times per year? I don't see any/many people reporting what you state. I see way more posts of the single trip per year people plan, with claims of budgets.

There's a whole culture built around it, with articles and information explaining how to do it. We stayed an extra night at a choice hotel this summer to get that night back in a Visa card, AND a free night's stay next time.

I am totally aware of Jim Berra/Starwood, etc.

I also don't use the pools and hot tubs but I think every ship should have them because people do use and enjoy them.

I totally agree with what you are saying. I just think they could of handled this situation a lot better and thought another alternative that would be suitable for both Carnival and the passenger.

I started posting on here 2010-2011 while in the beginning stages of planning my first cruise. There was a lot of talks of cutbacks but I was new and didn't know different. I went on my first cruise on the Liberty in April 2012 and bought the Future Cruise Certificate. I was at the fun farewell party and was looking forward to getting to do that plus I would be Gold on the next one so would get to go to the past guest party. I enjoyed my free cappuccino at dinner in the MDR each night. So within 2 months of my first cruise, I'm now Red not Gold, so don't get to go to the past guest party, the fun farewell party was cancelled (some nonsense about people not going, but they never announced it, just the tiniest line in the Fun Times which I wouldn't have seen if I wasn't looking for it) and there would be a charge for cappuccino at dinner. But we would get a free drink at the brunch, not a great substitute for missing two all you can drink parties, but we did use them.

We went on our 2nd cruise in April 2014 on the Breeze ($700+ each airfare from our tiny corner of Canada and we have two kiddos). The FCC changed so no point getting that anymore. I don't have a cruise booked (would be more likely to if the FCC had remained in place) and with our two cruises we are only at 15 days, so a ways off Gold. And now the drink coupon is gone. That was my one perk left and it was supposed to replace the Fun Farewell party. I've never bought water on the cruise. So it's not a $4 pp value to me. So when I do go to book a cruise, I may book with Carnival, I may book elsewhere. Their loyalty program provides me with nothing, so it does not result in loyalty.

Correct to Pixelate and familycruzinnebie!

gfountain1, same goes with me, the Valor that I am currently booked on probably would be my last, I did change from the Oasis to the Valor ugh but we did it to be with family and to be together.

Given product devaluations, including the free drink coupon for Red/Gold even though it has no influence on my experience as a Platinum guest, it would take a very close family member sailing Carnival for me to consider a cruise with said operator at this time. The only other way for me to book a Carnival cruise would be to provide direct examples that show I am a valued guest and increasing my perceived value of Carnival Cruise Line. I've been given offers for five complimentary cruises for each member of my immediate travel party. Instead of taking Carnival up on their offer, I instead booked cruises on a competitor for the same time period.

Edited by Pixelate

It doesn't really matter to me I suppose...the drink coupon or the bottle of water. Frankly they are both equally lame. This summer I went on my 2nd MSC cruise which meant myself and my guest were invited to the past guest party where there was free champagne for an hour or so along with some food and dancing! Plus, I had gotten 5% off!! I like Carnival for the Caribbean and I like cruising out of Galveston but they really do not have a desire for past guests to return...I think they make more on first timers.

I am also very annoyed at Carnival they always seem to downgrade things, now, why should I work at raising my status on Carnival when I know all they do is disappoint, downgrade and take away things? Other cruise lines don't do this in fact they improve things but NOT Carnival.

The right thing for Carnival to do is to continue the coupon but give us a choice of water or the drink, this will satisfy and please everybody.

Yes it is a free thing but the POINT is that Carnival is giving us something that is worth less, again saving money for their pocket and forgetting making customers happy to keep them from straying to other cruise lines should be their main concern.

I feel like Carnival smacked me in the head with a bottle of water, I can't tell you here where I want them to put that bottle of water!

Somehow I think that your used to be favorite line Royal Caribbean is changing things too and not all the changes are for the good. Look at the Concierge Lounge restrictions for Diamond Plus. All lines do what they think is right for their business and even though we may not like the change, it's still going to be done.

Service at the brunch was so slow and people were always complaining about it and it appeared there were a lot of waiters going around asking if we wanted to use our free drink coupon. Perhaps now, with either fewer people going to brunch as evidenced by posts on this thread, or with the waiters not hawking drinks so much, the food will arrive much sooner and the long waits for service will be a thing of the past. So, to me, there could be a silver lining.

One single drink for free isn't going to make a hill of beans difference to me in how I look at my cruises. I'm sure those who feel they are now being cheated are the some of the same people who drink 5 drinks at the welcome back party while the rest of us have 1 or 2.

If the one free drink is that important and making you (figuratively) so upset, then perhaps cruising Carnival isn't the line you should cruise. Go to another one that gives you what you want. That's what I would do.

(By the way even though I quoted you, not everything I posted is aimed at you. I just remember how you were so strongly a Royal Caribbean fan and lots of changes are on that line too.)

RC being platinum which is similar points to Carnivals gold gives me many items plus $100 off each cabin on any cruise. Carnivals gold gives me the party which I get on RC and only water.

I like service slow, I am not in mcdonalds or apple bees that I need to be rushed, when I am on vacation on land based trips, I dine at 4/5 star restaurants, yes they are slow they suppose to be its all about the experience, not rushing me out to get the next person in.

The free drink you don't need to get in the punch liners dining room there is a bartender outside with a stand who makes the drinks, you don't need to eat the breakfast or even walk in the dining room to get your complimentary drink.

Am I happy about the change? No.

Has Carnival made changes out of line with any other major company in the current economy? No.

Case in point, I've worked for a hospital for the past 6 years that has steadily eliminated paid holidays, admission teams, travel nurses, and the WOW program (nurses being paid premium rate to work all weekends). The all might dollar trumps all...including patient and employee satisfaction. Why should customer satisfaction be any different?

I will continue to cruise with Carnival because I can afford to and I hope one day things will change and companies will return to playing the long game vs the short game. Until then, hold your breath and cross your fingers folks!