Need advice on catching ship after it leaves port

lcumpire

We have a family situation where we might need to attend a funeral on the day the cruise leaves San Juan this Sunday. We were thinking we could catch up with the cruise in St. Thomas on Monday.

Would appreciate any advice on dealing with this situation with Carnival.

Thanx

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have a family situation where we might need to attend a funeral on the day the cruise leaves San Juan this Sunday. We were thinking we could catch up with the cruise in St. Thomas on Monday.

Would appreciate any advice on dealing with this situation with Carnival.

Thanx

It is unlikely, but you would need to call Carnival directly and ask. There are crazy cabotage laws involved that state that Carnival must pay fees to allow this, and that isn't likely to happen. And typically they want plenty of advance notice if it is even possible.

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/booking_procedure/TheJonesAct_ThePassengerServicesAct.htm

From the first paragraph mentioned under the Jones Act:

"The Jones Act (also known as the Passenger Services Act) prohibits ships of Non-U.S registry from embarking and debarking guests at two different U.S ports. Such travel would constitute point-to-point transportation between two U.S ports, which is prohibited on foreign flagged ships. Note: Puerto Rico and the U.S Virgin Islands (St. Thomas; St. Croix; St. John) are not in the category of U.S ports under this act.

Don't know much about this subject, but from the reading above it sounds like you would be all set.

Call carnival so they can confirm and that you folks would not be in SJ on embarkation.

Hope all goes good for your party and enjoy your cruise. Great cruise to take. We loved it last Feb.

This is one of those occasions I would call Carnival and ask (and document) versus going with what information you are going to get here. It's going to be like the passport questions where everyone thinks they are the expert on the topic and there are 30 posters with 30 different responses.

Edited by ZJ13820

While missing the ship and rejoining in St. Thomas would not violate the PVSA, there are other reasons that this is not likely to be allowed. In the past, this was fairly common, but with Homeland Security's involvement, there are a whole new set of rules. The WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative) allows US citizens to travel on cruise ships that only call at Western Hemisphere ports to travel without a passport. To accomplish this, CBP uses the passenger manifest created at embarkation to screen and clear the passengers during the cruise, so that at disembarkation, the CBP screening is merely pro forma. Whenever someone leaves, or misses the ship during a cruise, or joins after the original embarkation, this requires a completely new passenger manifest to be prepared and submitted to CBP, and this can then trigger more stringent screening of passengers when disembarking (think of US citizens getting off a cruise from Europe). All of this causes extra cost to the cruise line (as well as possibly frustrating passengers who have close air connections at disembarkation, bad PR for the line), so nearly all of the major lines have decided to blanket disallow late embarkation.

While missing the ship and rejoining in St. Thomas would not violate the PVSA, there are other reasons that this is not likely to be allowed. In the past, this was fairly common, but with Homeland Security's involvement, there are a whole new set of rules. The WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative) allows US citizens to travel on cruise ships that only call at Western Hemisphere ports to travel without a passport. To accomplish this, CBP uses the passenger manifest created at embarkation to screen and clear the passengers during the cruise, so that at disembarkation, the CBP screening is merely pro forma. Whenever someone leaves, or misses the ship during a cruise, or joins after the original embarkation, this requires a completely new passenger manifest to be prepared and submitted to CBP, and this can then trigger more stringent screening of passengers when disembarking (think of US citizens getting off a cruise from Europe). All of this causes extra cost to the cruise line (as well as possibly frustrating passengers who have close air connections at disembarkation, bad PR for the line), so nearly all of the major lines have decided to blanket disallow late embarkation.

Thank you. I couldn't remember how it worked, to explain it.

This is why debarkation is also delayed at times due to passengers missing the ship home

Contacted Carnival and they said Federal regulations will not allow me to do what I want to do

Yeah, unfortunately, you get this a lot, where they will give a "half truth" and blame someone else, when it all comes down to not just not wanting to deal with the headache themselves.

lcumpire: You stated that you contacted Carnival and they won't let you do what you wanted to do and catch up with it in St Thomas. What did they say you can do, like catch it at another port or are you just out. Just looking for the end result of their conversation. thanks

Contacted Carnival and they said Federal regulations will not allow me to do what I want to do

Instead of notifying them ahead of time, what if you actually missed your flight and missed the ship, what are your options? You wouldn't be allowed to catch up?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Instead of notifying them ahead of time, what if you actually missed your flight and missed the ship, what are your options? You wouldn't be allowed to catch up?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Most likely you would not be allowed to, now. Used to be OK, but, as chengkp75 explained, most cruiselines don't want to deal with the paperwork involved if the cruise changes from a "closed-loop" cruise to a "foreign itinerary" cruise.

Yes, just one passenger embarking in a foreign port (and debarking in a US port) changes the paperwork.

We were on NCL last April when passengers carried their luggage on board, they said they missed embarkation due to a funeral.

So cruise lines allow it.

Did you call the Customer Service number or the number listed on your boarding pass, you know the one that states something like 'Running Late Call .....'?

The Customer Service line is known for distributing misinformation.

I did it in 2009. Ship left Port Canaveral. Called Carnival, they let me fly from DC and meet ship in Nassau. No problem at all.

I did it in 2009. Ship left Port Canaveral. Called Carnival, they let me fly from DC and meet ship in Nassau. No problem at all.

Since the WHTI did not go into full effect until June 2009, I don't doubt that you were allowed to do this. I can say that in the couple of years I've been here on CC, I've seen several threads about this, and cannot remember seeing any here on the Carnival board where the people were allowed to board late. I believe that RCL has changed their policy within the last year or so, and don't routinely allow this. NCL may still allow it, but I've seen instances here where they have not.

We were on NCL last April when passengers carried their luggage on board, they said they missed embarkation due to a funeral.

So cruise lines allow it.

Did you call the Customer Service number or the number listed on your boarding pass, you know the one that states something like 'Running Late Call .....'?

The Customer Service line is known for distributing misinformation.

I believe RCCL allows it too, but when you start reading all the fine print, there are tons of restrictions on it.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=623&faqSubjectId=322