Singapore - Videos of my country that I made

Iluvcruising2

Which ships usually use Marina Bay and which use Harbourfront

Good question. For a fact, Harbourfront terminal is limited by way of height of the ship. E.g. Voyager class ships can't use that terminal. I vaguely recall reading that Royal Caribbean has now moved to Marina Bay exclusively, but don't quote me on that.

The best way is to check their website for the latest schedules.

http://www.singaporecruise.com.sg/

For Feb 15, at Harbourfront, I see Azamara Quest, Volendam, Rotterdam, Superstar Gemini, Crystal Symphony.

http://mbccs.com.sg/ for Marina Bay Cruise Centre.

For Feb 15, at Marina Bay, I see Mariner of the Seas, Celebrity Century, Sapphire Princess.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

We are staying at Royal Plaza on Scott. Our ship gets in 3/20 and we are flying to Tokyo on 3/23.

Ok, thanks for the info.

The Newton Hawker Centre, which is located near Newton MRT station (just one stop from Orchard MRT station) is one possible place you can try some local hawker fare.

2vv6gzd.jpg

There are many blogs/write-ups on that place, if you google you can find more about it. Just don't get ripped by the hawkers quoting you sky-high prices for seafood. Buy items that are clearly displayed and clarify on the price before you order. Sometimes, they try to rip foreigners off.

Some say that the place is a tourist trap, but I don't agree. It is a very crowded during lunch-time - plenty of locals eat there as there are many offices nearby.

Another possible place is Lau Pat Sat - or Telok Ayer Food Centre. You can get there from Telok Ayer MRT or Raffles Place MRT. Raffles Place station is more convenient as you will be on the North-South line from Orchard.

This link is from the official tourism website:

http://www.yoursingapore.com/see-do-singapore/architecture/historical/lau-pa-sat.html

You can google the place for more info. Plenty of blogs and reviews. Very well patronized by office workers.

Hope this is useful.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Iluvcruising2 -- I had no idea you were from Singapore; I've been enjoying your Mediterranean videos. :)

I am ending a cruise in Singapore and will be staying there for 2 nights afterwards (included in my cruise package) in early March. The hotel is the Regent Singapore.

We have a sightseeing tour the first day (half day) that includes some major highlights such as a visit to Chinatown (and the Thian Hock Kheng Temple) and also the Sri Mariamman Hindu Temple, the National Orchid Gardens and an overlook of the city from Mt. Faber.

I am having difficulty deciding what to do for the rest of my time there. I'm not really interested in the other two optional tours -- one goes to the Perenakan Museum and the big ferris wheel, and the other visits Gardens by the Bay.

Do you have any suggestions, considering the location of my hotel? I'm interested mainly in history (not modern) and also interested in trying some great food. I would like to visit Raffles hotel and maybe a good museum, as well as do some food stalls.

Iluvcruising2 -- I had no idea you were from Singapore; I've been enjoying your Mediterranean videos. :)

I am ending a cruise in Singapore and will be staying there for 2 nights afterwards (included in my cruise package) in early March. The hotel is the Regent Singapore.

We have a sightseeing tour the first day (half day) that includes some major highlights such as a visit to Chinatown (and the Thian Hock Kheng Temple) and also the Sri Mariamman Hindu Temple, the National Orchid Gardens and an overlook of the city from Mt. Faber.

I am having difficulty deciding what to do for the rest of my time there. I'm not really interested in the other two optional tours -- one goes to the Perenakan Museum and the big ferris wheel, and the other visits Gardens by the Bay.

Do you have any suggestions, considering the location of my hotel? I'm interested mainly in history (not modern) and also interested in trying some great food. I would like to visit Raffles hotel and maybe a good museum, as well as do some food stalls.

Yes, born and bred in Singapore, though I have lived overseas for some years due to studies.

Don't miss your time in Singapore!

What do you like to do?

History - there are some historical sights and Museums. The biggest Museum is the National Museum of Singapore, nearest MRT should be Dhoby Ghaut. There are war memorials at Kranji. I heard there are some new historical exhibits at Sentosa, but I haven't checked that out.

Aquariums? There is quite a new large Aquarium at Resorts World Sentosa, called the S.E.A aquarium.

Do you like long strolls and walks? Other than the Botanical Gardens, there are other nature reserves, but those may not be as convenient to get to.

For the food stalls, check out Newton Food Centre, or Lau Pa Sat (Telok Ayer Market) or even Maxwell Market.

If you are into World War 11 history, then there are some really extraordinary sites in Singapore. This web site gives you a lot of information.

oh thanks!

Yeah, we were a British colony but our butts got kicked by the Japanese during WWII and we became a Japanese colony for 3 years.

This was a horrific period of our history. Countless heads were chopped (yeah, the Japanese Imperial Army loved to chop Chinese heads). Many of us lost relatives.

Thank God I am here. My late grandfolks tell us stories of their siblings who didn't make it.

Thanks for the great videos! I <3 Singapore! My first trip was in 1982 and I loved it back then when it was a little bit slower, not so glitzy and definitely a lot cheaper! And I still love it now - I think I have been there probably about 15 times now. I'll be back this year in June for my Quantum cruise.

The first thing I do, after I have checked into my hotel is to head over to Suntec City for a bowl of Thunder Tea Rice. I could eat that stuff every day, but unfortunately, no one seems to make it here in Sydney. :)

Edited by timtam2

Thanks for the great videos! I <3 Singapore! My first trip was in 1982 and I loved it back then when it was a little bit slower, not so glitzy and definitely a lot cheaper! And I still love it now - I think I have been there probably about 15 times now. I'll be back this year in June for my Quantum cruise.

The first thing I do, after I have checked into my hotel is to head over to Suntec City for a bowl of Thunder Tea Rice. I could eat that stuff every day, but unfortunately, no one seems to make it here in Sydney. :)

Please explain what Thunder Tea Rice is :confused:

Also I'm staying at the Royal Plaza on Scotts Road...where can I get the best Kaya Toast ?

Edited by Ashland

Thanks for visiting my country so often. Yes, Singapore used to be a lot cheaper. Oh well, we just have to keep going.

Thunder Tea Rice - oh wow. Are you referring to this?

http://thundertearice.com.sg/menu.php

I haven't tried this before! It looks quite good though.

Please explain what Thunder Tea Rice is :confused:

Also I'm staying at the Royal Plaza on Scotts Road...where can I get the best Kaya Toast ?

Kaya Toast - the flagship Ya Kun store is located at Far East Plaza, just opposite Royal Plaza on Scotts. They do very good kaya toasts. They also have stores all over Singapore.

Their website.

http://www.yakun.com.sg/

This is their address at Far East Plaza 远东商业中心

Address: 14 Scotts Road #01-16

Far East Plaza

Singapore 228213

Tel/Fax: +65 63419554

Operating Hours: Daily: 8.00am to 8.45pm

That's it!!!!! It's so healthy too - this one is from the food court in VivoCity :p

Awesome! Yes, I think this chain of stores prides themselves for a healthy food offering.

Looks like you have found something you like and you are eating like a local.

Well done!!

I must admit that I had to go google for Thunder Tea Rice. I don't think many locals eat this on a regular basis.

Quoting from the website.

About Thunder Tea Rice

The word 'Lei' means 'Grind' in Chinese but some define it as 'thunder'. The latter definition was partly because of the thunder-like pounding sound during the grinding process of the ingredients. 'Cha' means tea. 'Lei Cha' is a popular Hakka dish made of tea leaves, herbs, sesame and nuts.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

That's it!!!!! It's so healthy too - this one is from the food court in VivoCity :p

20140307_1203452_zps74406643.jpg

Please explain what we're seeing....I see green onions, peanuts...what else and what does it taste like :confused::confused:

Some links to describe the Thunder Tea Rice.

http://annieliciousfood.blogspot.sg/2012/11/thunder-tea-rice.html?m=1

http://www.soshiok.com/recipe/hakka-lei-cha-fan-thunder-tea-rice-recipe-hed-chef

While this dish is part of our cultural heritage (Hakkas being one of the smaller dialect groups in Singapore), it is not that common in Singapore.

Yes, born and bred in Singapore, though I have lived overseas for some years due to studies.

Don't miss your time in Singapore!

What do you like to do?

History - there are some historical sights and Museums. The biggest Museum is the National Museum of Singapore, nearest MRT should be Dhoby Ghaut. There are war memorials at Kranji. I heard there are some new historical exhibits at Sentosa, but I haven't checked that out.

Aquariums? There is quite a new large Aquarium at Resorts World Sentosa, called the S.E.A aquarium.

Do you like long strolls and walks? Other than the Botanical Gardens, there are other nature reserves, but those may not be as convenient to get to.

For the food stalls, check out Newton Food Centre, or Lau Pa Sat (Telok Ayer Market) or even Maxwell Market.

If you are into World War 11 history, then there are some really extraordinary sites in Singapore. This web site gives you a lot of information.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will head to the National Museum for sure. And probably head for one of the markets/food centers both evenings to wander and eat....

Thanks for the suggestions. I will head to the National Museum for sure. And probably head for one of the markets/food centers both evenings to wander and eat....

This is the website of the National Museum of Singapore.

http://www.nationalmuseum.sg/NMSPortal/

To get there, it is a 5 minute walk from both Dhoby Ghaut MRT and Bras Basah MRT stations.

See the map.

2dgqek9.jpg

I've been getting some great info from tripadvisor group as well.

Thank you for the info on hawker stalls. BTW, how would the store keepers know you are a foreigner esp since there are so many nationalities living in Singapore? Is it the language perhaps?

Here is my compiled list of places to check out for food: I normally do this for each place I visit. I visit first for food.

Breakfast Ideas Singapore:\

Wild Honey

Scotts Square

6 Scotts Square #03-01

or

The NEW Mandarin Gallery from Tuesday October 28th

333A Orchard Road #03-02

Ya Kun (kaya toast with egg)

14 Scotts Road #01-16

Far East Plaza

Singapore 228213

Toast Box

Shaw Center

food courts:

Maxwell Food Centre

1 Kadayanallur St 069184

Food Court

Today 8:00 am – 10:00 pm

drinks:

Bitters & Love

36 North Canal Road, Singapore 059292, Singapore

rooftop

1-Altitude

1 Raffles Place (Former OUB Center)

Singapore 048616

New Asia Bar

or City Space

Swissotel The Stamford, Singapore

2 Stamford Road ? Singapore 178882 ? Singapore

Happy hour 7-9

Level 33 (wine and brew)

MBFC Tower 1 lobby.

KU DÉ TA

Marina Bay Sands

Hawker stalls:

The Newton Hawker Centre

Lau Pat Sat - or Telok Ayer Food Centre. You can get there from Telok Ayer MRT or Raffles Place MRT. Raffles Place station is more convenient as you will be on the North-South line from Orchard

I've been getting some great info from tripadvisor group as well.

Thank you for the info on hawker stalls. BTW, how would the store keepers know you are a foreigner esp since there are so many nationalities living in Singapore? Is it the language perhaps?

Good list!

Yes, there are many nationalities living in Singapore.

Some of the foreigners have lived here so long that they can almost talk like locals and understand the local lingo (Singlish, even simple Mandarin).

A funny version.

[YOUTUBE]Gb9koJlkjNc[/YOUTUBE]

One of the better explanations out there. Watch 4:20 for the key words.

[YOUTUBE]pxFYW8BBjXI[/YOUTUBE]

A useful video on what Singlish is all about, though a bit more cerebral.

[YOUTUBE]lC8nM75AqUk[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Iluvcruising2