Excursions in Labadee

mom3x

Does anyone have any experience with any of the excursions to Labadee? My husband and I were reading the very few and far between reviews on RC's website, and we are less than impressed.

Then again, people seem to review more when they dislike something as opposed to when they did.

We've only sailed once before and we made up our own excursions. I'm not sure about attempting that in an area that I'm incredibly unfamiliar with. Canada/Alaska was no big deal.

Thank you, in advance!

We did the ZipLine last time. Amazing views, bring a camera..

Wasn't as scared as I thought I would be.

Worth every penny.

(Book early times, afternoon the wind picked up and they cancelled the rest of the day.)

Also, fun to watch others from the beach.

For us, Labadee and Coco Cay are simple beach days...no real need to pay for excursions! So, don't think you HAVE TO....you can have a lovely, relaxing day without spending a penny on Labadee (unless you want drinks!!!)

Some "excursions" aren't really excursions at all...simply a rental fee! Like "floating mats" or Cabanas...... Things like "wave runners" are a group "follow the leader" sort of thing.

Edited by cb at sea

We enjoyed the zipline and coastal speedboat ride on our first couple visits. The other times it's just been a relaxing beach day. I think it's been about 5 times now and we've only been rained out once. It's a relatively small fenced in self contained area and there aren't any diy excursions. One of our favorite stops.

Edited by Jimmers

I enjoyed the wave runner ski excursion, if they still have it. Haiti has a beautiful coastline of hilly terrain that makes the trip even better. It's not a "free for all" wave runner activity for an hour. It's "follow the leader" hour trip. You may have about 10 jet skis in a group with a RC crew leader. He leads you around the coast line and about every 20 mins stops, gather everyone around to tell a 3 minute history of Haiti. They make you stay around 100 yards from the next person in line, so you can go full speed, they just don't like you doing 360's. Towards the end of the trip some locals canoe out to your jet ski and offer local goods for sale ($10 items) and at the same time, you are allowed to jump off the wave runner to cool off in the ocean for a minute or so. The crew leader does lead you out into the ocean so that you are not always right along the coastline.

Labadee is a beach area on the island of Haiti. You cannot leave the area. All "tours" are within the RCCL Labadee complex. There is a local craft market and some approved local venders (hair braiding for example) and lots of beach stuff. We enjoyed sitting on the beach and watching the zip liners. Food and drink is brought off the ship and served by the ship's staff.

Search Cruise Critic for the string "just back from Labadee" the author provided an excellent description of the site.

Edited by Traveling Library

I know this a little off topic, but if you have beverage package on ship, does it carry through to Labadee ? Also is there an age or weight limit on zip line ? Thanks in advance, will be there in July.

Yes and Yes. I don't know exactly what the weight limit is, but if you look up that excursion on their website, it will be stated there.

We aren't much for sitting around on the beach, so the last time we did a tour to a fishing village, we thought it was kind of neat to actually see a small local village (the one small house accommodates 13!) We did do some walking around the island, and tried to snorkel wasn't very great! (we have our own snorkel gear) Never tried the zipline or rollercoaster as it seems really expensive for 1 trip down!

The locals in the market place are very aggressive so be prepared!

Have to try the Zip line at least once its a blast, Then one year we did the DRagons tail roller coaster which was also fun. Then sit on the beach and have a few Labadoozie's

I've done the zipline but I think I'm going to give the roller coaster a shot in April. Looks like fun. I checked it out and it looks like the wife and I can go on the same "car" for the price of one ticket @$35.

Edited by Jimmers

I've done the zipline but I think I'm going to give the roller coaster a shot in April. Looks like fun.

Its fun for sure. I know you could buy a one time ticket or a all day ride and the all day ride was only 10$ more. I wish I would have bought the all day one and gave it a second go. I tried not to go super fast and enjoy the views. I took a few aerial shots

Its fun for sure. I know you could buy a one time ticket or a all day ride and the all day ride was only 10$ more. I wish I would have bought the all day one and gave it a second go. I tried not to go super fast and enjoy the views. I took a few aerial shots

The views of the ship and the cove are beautiful from up on the mountain. Didn't have my gopro for the zipline but I'm definitely taking it on this trip.

We enjoyed the Sandbar Island Adult Getaway. It's basically a booze cruise to a secluded swimming spot and back. It was nice to get away from the crowds and the crew was great...we had a lot of fun. We were a little late getting back and it was pretty funny as we pulled up to the dock with music blasting and dancing and the RCC people were all scowling at us and telling us to hurry up.

Question i have reservation for zip line at 8.30 am do u think i can make reservations for coaster or its not enoght time we leaving at 4 pm . Or i can buy ticket for coaster right on the spot . Can we ride together on one cart with my wife? And is it posible to do both zip line and coaster and still have time for the beach or im trying to shoot to many rabits at once???

Question i have reservation for zip line at 8.30 am do u think i can make reservations for coaster or its not enoght time we leaving at 4 pm . Or i can buy ticket for coaster right on the spot . Can we ride together on one cart with my wife? And is it posible to do both zip line and coaster and still have time for the beach or im trying to shoot to many rabits at once???

You should be able to manage all three. We did the zipline, speedboat and beach in one day though I don't recall how much beach time we had. The website (RCCL) says that as long as you have a combined weight of less than 360 you can double up on the coaster.

Here is a link to the RCCL Labadee shore excursion site that gives some description of the available excursions: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/destinations/shoreExcursions/subGateWayByPort/search.do?LocationCode=LAB

If you are thinking of doing multiple excursions, you can check out your reservation booking dashboard on the RCCL site, click the shore excursions link in the planner, and it should list the times available. There is also a calendar type view that shows how much time each excursion would take and illustrates if there would be any overlap. I agree with previous posters in that there are not a great deal of activities available there as it is intended to be more of a relaxing escape kind of day. Though there are a few activities that have scheduled times, many do not.

The first time we went to Labadee (about 5 years ago) we took a historical walking tour...yes it was purely within the confines of the RCCL part of the property, but it was still very interesting and beautiful. That same day we did the "Castway at Malfini" and my then teenage daughter still talks about it. We had read about the crowds at the beach and trying to get beach chairs, so we opted to avoid instead. This excursion took a group of about 20 to a secluded cove away from the masses for a day of relaxation...a little exploring, Malfini punch, floating mats, snorkeling...whatever. The description says it is still offered and lasts about 3 hours, which is probably accurate and very much worth the $65/pp for us that day.

We recently returned to Labadee though...this time a bit more educated on what to expect. We are very content doing nothing, laying on the beach, soaking in some sun, and maybe wading a bit in the water. This time we were also suite guests AND had purchased a beverage package, so we had the benefit of access to Barefoot Beach minus the crowds and whatever we wanted to drink was available (because of the drink package). We also were able to get out and explore the area a bit as well...taking in the market.

So the thing is...you can do as much or a little as you want on the Labadee day. It is a controlled environment though, so other than bartering with the locals at the market, there will not be a great deal exposure to the Haitian culture. If you don't see a shore excursion that you really feel is worth the time/expense...you can always choose to explore a little, shop a little, eat/drink/play a little, then go back onboard early with the knowledge that the pools/food venues will not not be as crowded.

Regardless...have a great time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The roller coaster is great fun and gives as amazing view of the island! And the water park bit on the beach is good fun to! It lasts for an hour but is suitable for both adults and children! After that we just spent the time on the beach which was lovely! Soft sand and warm sea!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums