Less than 6 months on passport, have you boarded

I Run 26.2

Only 5 months left.

Looking for reassurance here. Have you boarded with less than 6 months on your passport? I will have five, the ports we visit only require 3 or less months.

I am sure this has been covered but would appreciate someone who can calm my nerves.

Thanks so much:o

Only 5 months left.

Looking for reassurance here. Have you boarded with less than 6 months on your passport? I will have five, the ports we visit only require 3 or less months.

I am sure this has been covered but would appreciate someone who can calm my nerves.

Last Feb we sailed to the Caribbean and our passports expired the week after we returned. No problems at all.

Edited by mek

Passports are issued and regulated by the State Department, not the cruise line.

It's either a valid, current document or it's invalid. No gray area. The 6 month rule is something, someone at carnival fancied up in their little noggin. If you look on the carnival web site, where it discusses passports, they have conveniently added a link to their passport services.

(And truthfully, you don't need a passport to cruise on any ship leaving and returning to the United States. A state issued birth certificate will suffice. The catch is if you have to fly from a foreign country for some unforeseen reason. You can't fly on a birth certificate.)

The six month rule is not something Carnival " fancied up in their little noggin ". You can look on the US State Department website to find out the requirements different countries have as to the length of validity needed on your passport. Mexico for instance requires six months.

This of course doesn't apply to cruise ship travel.

Only 5 months left.

Are you on a closed-loop cruise?

The "six month (or however long depending on country) validity rule" applies to those with passports visiting the country by airfare or though crossing the border in from another country. It does not apply to cruise passengers in the Caribbean and most of the European countries. As long as your passport is valid upo the date you return to the Unites States, you are fine.

The "six month (or however long depending on country) validity rule" applies to those with passports visiting the country by airfare or though crossing the border in from another country. It does not apply to cruise passengers in the Caribbean and most of the European countries. As long as your passport is valid upo the date you return to the Unites States, you are fine.

Happy to hear that. One less thing to think about.

Thanks for all of the input from fellow CC ers. :eek:

Happy to hear that. One less thing to think about.

Thanks for all of the input from fellow CC ers. :eek:

Of course all that have answered are from the US and you are from Canada. I for one have no idea how pertinent that is to your question.

Only 5 months left.

Nope. I just renewed mine with 9 months left, to time it where I would have it for my next 2 cruises which occur before the 6 month cutoff. I paid to expedite processing of my passport renewal just to be sure I'd get it back between my cruises.

Of course all that have answered are from the US and you are from Canada. I for one have no idea how pertinent that is to your question.

yes I am from Canada. All of the countries we visit require 3 months or less for Canadians. I was concerned about Carnivals requirements. They say recommended 6 months on passport, from responses it looks like recommended does not mean must have.

I appreciate all of the input, thanks;)

yes I am from Canada. All of the countries we visit require 3 months or less for Canadians. I was concerned about Carnivals requirements. They say recommended 6 months on passport, from responses it looks like recommended does not mean must have.

I appreciate all of the input, thanks;)

Edited by I Run 26.2
dbl posting

Nope. I just renewed mine with 9 months left, to time it where I would have it for my next 2 cruises which occur before the 6 month cutoff. I paid to expedite processing of my passport renewal just to be sure I'd get it back between my cruises.

Are you doing closed loop cruises or open?

That sounds like a little overkill if they are closed loop paying to have it expedited with 9 months left.

Bill

I am also Canadian. I cruised in October with 3 months left on my passport and I was also concerned. It was a non-issue. I even went so far as to contact the tourism board in a couple of the islands for further reassurance. There was nothing to worry about. IF you are truly concerned, just renew your passport. I got mine back within a week. BUT, I can say with confidence that you will be fine. To those saying we Canadians do not need a passport, we do. We cannot even enter the USA to get to a ship without one!

The six month rule is not something Carnival " fancied up in their little noggin ". You can look on the US State Department website to find out the requirements different countries have as to the length of validity needed on your passport. Mexico for instance requires six months.

This of course doesn't apply to cruise ship travel.

Yes when I booked my last Carnival cruise I could not set up my personal info with them until I updated my passport. It would have expired 4 months after the cruise.

I am from Canada as well, and although there was no issues with the ports, the customs officers did make a bit of a fuss out of it when arriving back into the US after the cruise. Dad was within 3 moths of expiring and as a snowbird he was awaiting arriving back to Canada to renew it. The customs officer was just a little vocal about it, and the rules, gave him a "warning" and left it at that......

I am from Canada as well, and although there was no issues with the ports, the customs officers did make a bit of a fuss out of it when arriving back into the US after the cruise. Dad was within 3 moths of expiring and as a snowbird he was awaiting arriving back to Canada to renew it. The customs officer was just a little vocal about it, and the rules, gave him a "warning" and left it at that......

Come to think of it, it was mentioned to me but no big fuss was made about it. It was more a 'gentle reminder". I guess it all depends on the agent and how aggressive they chose to be!

Passports are issued and regulated by the State Department, not the cruise line.

It's either a valid, current document or it's invalid. No gray area. The 6 month rule is something, someone at carnival fancied up in their little noggin. If you look on the carnival web site, where it discusses passports, they have conveniently added a link to their passport services.

(And truthfully, you don't need a passport to cruise on any ship leaving and returning to the United States. A state issued birth certificate will suffice. The catch is if you have to fly from a foreign country for some unforeseen reason. You can't fly on a birth certificate.)

Not true for us , and the OP !

Apologies for jumping on the thread but my question is passport related too.

We are UK citizens travelling to US in August, then we take a 4 night Bahamas cruise, returning back to the US to then fly home to the UK

We have booked with RCI and the US TA told us to make sure there is 6 months left on the passport following disembarkation from the ship. My son would have 4 and a half months left! I was hoping this wouldn't be a problem but I read on another forum that RCI won't let you do on line check in if you have less than 6 months left on your passport?

Anyone else had this problem? Thanks