Leaving the ship without parents

3dashers

We are fortune enough to be cruising with grandparents again. This time the grandparents have asked to take DS 13 on some adventures by themselves. we planned to see them off on their shore excursions (all thru HAL except San Juan) but is there anything else we should do? Paperwork etc? I've check the family boards and haven't seen anything.

thanks Michelle

DS is a seasoned cruiser and mature. Actually mature enough to get how lucky he is to be able to do this

I know that children, not sure of the age, can not get off first. Last year my 9 year old was just ahead of me and when his card was scanned before mine and an alarm went off. Since my card was being scanned next the alarm was cancelled but not before I saw the computer screen went red.

so it would be a good idea to ensure your parents room cards are "linked" with your families at check in. I would think if you check in together this would not be an issue.

Whenever our kids have their card scanned (no matter if they are before or after us, although we all leave together) a car alarm type alarm sounds. The screen flashes something that says "Is this child with an adult". I would think your son will have no problem getting off with grandparents.

As a parent, it is a little unnerving to think security is only alerted to check to see if the child is with an "adult". On most ships there are about 2000 other adults I would NOT want my child getting off the ship with. I have mentioned this to HAL that they should verify WHO the child is getting off with, not just that it is an adult. Just a little food for thought for other parents traveling with children.

Whenever our kids have their card scanned (no matter if they are before or after us, although we all leave together) a car alarm type alarm sounds. The screen flashes something that says "Is this child with an adult". I would think your son will have no problem getting off with grandparents.

As a parent, it is a little unnerving to think security is only alerted to check to see if the child is with an "adult". On most ships there are about 2000 other adults I would NOT want my child getting off the ship with. I have mentioned this to HAL that they should verify WHO the child is getting off with, not just that it is an adult. Just a little food for thought for other parents traveling with children.

No alarm went off with us if my husband or I went first. Usually the children were sandwiched between us and no alarm. In this one instance DS went first and it was scanning my card that cancelled the alarm. If it was some random other adult then the alarm would still sound, so I was told.

If it was some random other adult then the alarm would still sound, so I was told.

Good to know, thanks!

Although, alarms always sound for us- the kids even look forward to it;) Also the security guy has to manually silence the alarms by clicking a few clicks on the laptop. Maybe it varies ship to ship or based on the kids age?

Good to know, thanks!

Although, alarms always sound for us- the kids even look forward to it;) Also the security guy has to manually silence the alarms by clicking a few clicks on the laptop. Maybe it varies ship to ship or based on the kids age?

Perhaps the alarm was silenced by use of the keyboard. I am not sure. I know the security told us to go as soon as my card was scanned. I think (but not sure) that my son's picture was on screen and then mine. It all happened so fast but that was the only time we had ever heard the alarm. The first time we sailed on HAL he was 7.

On Disney the picture was taken of the whole family group and so you had to be on that picture to pick up your child from the children's club or to get off or on the ship.

That is why I said I "think" the family photos are linked for security pictures. I don't know for sure, of course. But I know that the alarm sounded last year on the Ryndam and then went off as soon as my card was scanned and the security told me it was because he went first and told us it was okay to go ahead.

I love the alarm going off! I think it is a great safety measure. There is something in the computer that links our son's card to mine and my husband's card. I can see the security guy checking something on the computer. It's not simply some random "adult" that could clear a minor to disembark.

You guys are the best! I did try HAL but wanted to double check with the experts (what my husband calls you guys). The issue would be if something happened to DS, grammie already has medical permission, or if we were not going to be on the cruise.

As far as the alarm.. On HAL this summer in the Med the alarm went off whenever DS exited and it had to be one of his 'guardians'. DH joined us in Istanbul, I was on the dock and DS was not let off. The crew knew him by then so they did let me wave from the line I was in but they were very strict. (In a good way).

Thanks again!

No alarm went off with us if my husband or I went first. Usually the children were sandwiched between us and no alarm. In this one instance DS went first and it was scanning my card that cancelled the alarm. If it was some random other adult then the alarm would still sound, so I was told.

This is such good information. Learn something new here everyday. :)