How to carry wine on board.

ottmar

We put two bottles in each carryon bag and then go through separate scanners.They don't check what room your in.Works every time

This is exactly what we were going to try next cruise. Darn, I thought I thought of this myself :-)

from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'll be sailing with my wife on Oasis from FLL within few months, I would like to carry 4 bottles of wine. Does anybody have experienced this before?

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

We sailed Oasis last month. I brought 4 bottles of wine via carry on through security. I was questioned but since we had two rooms it was no problem. Now. San Juan, they couldn't have cared less.

Koohiichan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My DH and I are big wine drinkers...would love to bring two bottles of the Silver Oak Cabernet. We have not brought wine on board before. Will the airport allow it through in a carry-on?

No. Three oz. rule. If you belong to any winery clubs, the shipping forms can be cut down to protect two bottles in your checked baggage or you can go to a wine purveyor and purchase styrofoam sleeves.

If what you are bringing is not an unusual or not readily available "reserve" wine, I wouldn't waste the energy. Leave the Silver Oak at home. You can find it or something like it in most American port cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anyone have any experience with the wine in the eco friendly packaging? It is still bottle sized, but in a recycled cardboard "bottle". It is under the 750ml, but I like it as there is no breakage potential.

Took two of these through at Fort Lauderdale without any problem - person scanning looked at them - looked through bag and I said that's my wine; no bottles and he said okay. They were the smaller ones - not a big box.

Does anyone have any experience with the wine in the eco friendly packaging? It is still bottle sized, but in a recycled cardboard "bottle". It is under the 750ml, but I like it as there is no breakage potential.

With the understanding that almost all wine in boxes or other non-glass packaging is absolute "rot gut," there are a couple that are palatable.

Bandit wines, which are in Mylar boxes of around 750 ml, are okay for cheap table wines. Because they are a California company, their varietals must be 90% of that grape. Bandit blends from different sources and the result is, for example, a decent Pinot Grigio et al. for under $10. Likewise, Black Box has passable cheap wine. But steer clear of stuff like Franzia and anything next to it on a store shelf. That's a waste of time, money and energy.

We put two bottles in each carryon bag and then go through separate scanners.They don't check what room your in.Works every time

This was my question. I am going on a group cruise aboard the Enchantment in April. My BFF (cabin mate) & I will be boarding separately at separate times. I want to bring 2 bottles of wine as does she. Based on your comments & my thoughts, there should be no problem for both of us to be able to board with 2 bottles, right? I mean how do they know if I board at 11 am with 2 bottles and she boards at 2pm with 2 bottles....they don't keep track of how many bottles have already boarded for each cabin, right?

As long as you have 2 cabins they do not care who is staying in it. Also, be carful about cork screws. They took one from us on our last cruise so now we just bring cheaper versions.

We might try the 2 in each carry on as the wine we like they do not sell onboard.;)

As long as you have 2 cabins they do not care who is staying in it. Also, be carful about cork screws. They took one from us on our last cruise so now we just bring cheaper versions.

We might try the 2 in each carry on as the wine we like they do not sell onboard.;)

No need to pack a corkscrew in your carry-on. You can put one in your checked luggage, however, cabin steward or bartenders will provide. They are the cheaper, plastic type, but work. C&A wine left in cabin is usually left with wine glasses and corkscrew.

Thanks!

The corkscrews they provide are terrible if you have a tight cork.

They issue they have with bringing your own corkscrews isn't the corkscrew. It's that the usually have a small foil-cutter knife blade. If your corkscrew doesn't have one, then you should be fine.

We've also successfully gone through security at different times with multiple bottles.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - for those worried about checking red wine in their luggage.

I bought a handy little item called a Wine Diaper (search for that on Amazon)

It's exactly what it sounds like.

A resealable plastic bag with super absorbant diaper material in it. If your bottle breaks the super absorbant sucks up the liquid and the plastic keeps it (and the broken glass) contained. I've used them multiple times and have never had a problem.

We tend to fly into port with a day to spare so we'll pick ours up there.

We bring it not to save money or have wine we love but to have a drink on the balcony in the evening without going out.

This was my question. I am going on a group cruise aboard the Enchantment in April. My BFF (cabin mate) & I will be boarding separately at separate times. I want to bring 2 bottles of wine as does she. Based on your comments & my thoughts, there should be no problem for both of us to be able to board with 2 bottles, right? I mean how do they know if I board at 11 am with 2 bottles and she boards at 2pm with 2 bottles....they don't keep track of how many bottles have already boarded for each cabin, right?

I my experience the only one that would sound any alarm is the person that is actually looking at the scanner.There not looking for wine bottles because just about every carryon has one in it.Should you arrive late you may find that they are only using one scanner so you may not want to go through together.I have seen people go through the scanner with identical bags and get pulled asside.don't make it obvious.We only drink the wine in our cabin anyway.

Has anyone recently tried the 3 or 4 bottle box wine in carry-on? I don't know which way I want to go with Liberty trip in the end of March.

Yes, on a recent cruise we each took one box of Fish Eye in our luggage and nothing was said. The boxes are actually pretty small for all the wine they fit! Then we carried around our Vino2Go wine travel glasses and had wine for the entire trip!

Edited by sredish