How to carry wine on board.

ottmar

We leave on the Oasis in a few weeks and for the first time we will carry two bottles of wine on board. We have My Time Dining.

Screw top or cork, easier to carry, and since we will not dine at the same venue all the time we need to carry the wine with us. Are there any restaurants that do not allow wine to be brought in?

Pack it in the carry-on or checked suitcase, actually since only take one suitcase and a rather small carry-on there is not much room. We are driving to the ship so no worries about airlines.

The wine is for my wife, I am a beer drinker, so two bottles should last her for the cruise dinners.

....Ott

There is no official statement on how to carry the wine, but the general concensus here on the board is to put it in your carry-on. They will see the two bottles when they x-ray your carry-ons, see that it is wine, and let you go through. If they see and suspect liquor bottles "of some sort" in your checked luggage, it will be held until you go to claim it. All of this eats into your precious vacation time, in my opinion.

You can carry a bottle of wine, or even a glass of wine. No one will say anything.

We leave on the Oasis in a few weeks and for the first time we will carry two bottles of wine on board. We have My Time Dining.

Screw top or cork, easier to carry, and since we will not dine at the same venue all the time we need to carry the wine with us. Are there any restaurants that do not allow wine to be brought in?

Pack it in the carry-on or checked suitcase, actually since only take one suitcase and a rather small carry-on there is not much room. We are driving to the ship so no worries about airlines.

The wine is for my wife, I am a beer drinker, so two bottles should last her for the cruise dinners.

....Ott

Ott you need to put the wine in carry-on! If your favorite wine has a cork just ask cabin attendant for opener and glasses. They should be happy to get that done for you. You can carry a glass of wine wherever you choose.

Has anyone recently tried the 3 or 4 bottle box wine in carry-on? I don't know which way I want to go with Liberty trip in the end of March.

Ott you need to put the wine in carry-on! If your favorite wine has a cork just ask cabin attendant for opener and glasses. They should be happy to get that done for you. You can carry a glass of wine wherever you choose.

Has anyone recently tried the 3 or 4 bottle box wine in carry-on? I don't know which way I want to go with Liberty trip in the end of March.

Ann will just drink the wine at dinner, the waiter will provide a wine glass I'm sure...

I'll be sailing with my wife on Oasis from FLL within few months, I would like to carry 4 bottles of wine. Does anybody have experienced this before?

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

You are allowed two bottles. You can try and see if you can get through with four - it might work - but be prepared to surrender the extra bottles.

As others have said, it is best to carry in your carry-on bag. You may be called to the "naughty room" and have to explain why you have it if detected in your checked bags. The x-ray machines can't tell if it is wine or liquor.

My personal feeling is that it is not worth the stress and bother of trying to circumvent the system. Also, it is clearly breaking the rules, and again I am not willing to do that. I appreciate being able to take 2 bottles. If people keep "smuggling" RC will probably revert to the old system of not allowing any to be taken on board.

We did a B2B on Nav in Oct. Had four bottles in out handcarry in a box (2x2). When they scanned they did not notice that there were four bottles, two on top of two. They let us pass with all four bottles. We would have given up two and had them delivered for the second week if they had asked.

They are not the most effective in detecting bottles of alcohol. In Europe and recently in Jamaica we have carried back bottles (lemoncello, rum,etc) in our bags and they have not asked for them.

We did not drink them on board as we were bringing them home for gifts. But since they did not ask for them I was not going to volunteer them up as it saved us the hassle of tracking them down the last day to pack them.

....Ott

Is there any way you could take another small carry on for the wine? I say this cause we just did this.. and were asked to see it .. (by a really nice man), and explained they want to be sure it is indeed wine.. then I thought what if this was in our checked luggage... it could have been held up by that..

I have a nice 2 bottle wine carrier that I use just for the wine and take as carry on. Looks a lot like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGWFDc2Py2Ha5lFjpSdMSf9vDfXsysWl87gzMvKzWWblU999Gg9w

You can enjoy the wine in your room for no corkage fee - your room steward will bring corkscrew and wine glasses (and put on ice for you). You can pour a glass and carry to dinner or anywhere onboard without issue. I typically enjoy a glass as I'm getting ready for dinner and at the end of the evening on the balcony - I did take a traveller of my favorite white to dinner once as it went very well with the main that night.

If you take the bottle to a dining venue or bar, you will be charged a corkage fee.

DH and I were on a b2b recently where he had 2 bottles in the winestore's cashier bag (we expected them to be confiscated and returned at the end of the first leg of the trip). I had 2 of my favorites in my handy wine bag. All four made it on board - second 2 were saved for the 2nd leg of the trip. Just saved the hassle of tracking them down. Don't know if they would have been taken if it weren't a b2b.

Edited by pxy cda

We did a B2B on Nav in Oct. Had four bottles in out handcarry in a box (2x2). When they scanned they did not notice that there were four bottles, two on top of two. They let us pass with all four bottles. We would have given up two and had them delivered for the second week if they had asked.

They are not the most effective in detecting bottles of alcohol. In Europe and recently in Jamaica we have carried back bottles (lemoncello, rum,etc) in our bags and they have not asked for them.

We did not drink them on board as we were bringing them home for gifts. But since they did not ask for them I was not going to volunteer them up as it saved us the hassle of tracking them down the last day to pack them.

Did they not notice the bottles/extra bottles? Or did the screener notice them yet not flag them? Or are they so accustom enough to parties with multiple cabins or consecutive cruise carrying more wine that they no longer bother to ask for clarification? I think any of these are possible. Screeners are as fallible as other humans, so they do miss things. OTOH, some screeners may really care about weapons or dangerous objects, not so much caring if an adult has some extra wine or a bottle of local spirits. they might find life easier and/or happier if they don't flag every thing.

If they don't ask to hold our consecutive cruise wine allotment, we do not volunteer or attempt to explain it. We just store it ourselvesin the cabin; it seems easier for everybody.

I have a nice 2 bottle wine carrier that I use just for the wine and take as carry on. Looks a lot like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGWFDc2Py2Ha5lFjpSdMSf9vDfXsysWl87gzMvKzWWblU999Gg9w

You can enjoy the wine in your room for no corkage fee - your room steward will bring corkscrew and wine glasses (and put on ice for you). You can pour a glass and carry to dinner or anywhere onboard without issue. I typically enjoy a glass as I'm getting ready for dinner and at the end of the evening on the balcony - I did take a traveller of my favorite white to dinner once as it went very well with the main that night.

If you take the bottle to a dining venue or bar, you will be charged a corkage fee.

DH and I were on a b2b recently where he had 2 bottles in the winestore's cashier bag (we expected them to be confiscated and returned at the end of the first leg of the trip). I had 2 of my favorites in my handy wine bag. All four made it on board - second 2 were saved for the 2nd leg of the trip. Just saved the hassle of tracking them down. Don't know if they would have been taken if it weren't a b2b.

The corkage fee for anywhere on the ship has been discontinued - you can take a bottle wherever you wish.

Did they not notice the bottles/extra bottles? Or did the screener notice them yet not flag them? Or are they so accustom enough to parties with multiple cabins or consecutive cruise carrying more wine that they no longer bother to ask for clarification? I think any of these are possible. Screeners are as fallible as other humans, so they do miss things. OTOH, some screeners may really care about weapons or dangerous objects, not so much caring if an adult has some extra wine or a bottle of local spirits. they might find life easier and/or happier if they don't flag every thing.

If they don't ask to hold our consecutive cruise wine allotment, we do not volunteer or attempt to explain it. We just store it ourselvesin the cabin; it seems easier for everybody.

The person operating the scanner had no idea we were consecutive cruisers. So they either did not notice (two on top of two so it may have looked like only two bottles) or they did not care.

We also just finished a B2B , brought 3 bottles in carry on and they did take one and put it in security until our first week was up. Then room attendant delivered it the last full cruise day. However we purchased Duty free on the ship and they let us take it so we ended up having 2 nice bottles of rum for the second week !!

Will the airport allow it through in a carry-on?

No, you are still subject to the 3 oz. rule when you fly. You can either put it in your luggage and fly with it, transferring it to your carry-on before you go to the pier, or you can buy it in your embarkation city. Personally, I would not fly with bottles of wine in my luggage on the way there, especially red wine. So much wrong can happen. ;):(

My DH and I are big wine drinkers...would love to bring two bottles of the Silver Oak Cabernet. We have not brought wine on board before. Will the airport allow it through in a carry-on?

We had a couple nicer bottles of wine that I wanted to take. Did not want the risk of them breaking in the checked bags. Couldn't find a cheaper/safer way to get them to the ship. Ended up leaving the good wine at home and buying any wine in Houston on the night we arrived.

No way would I chance red wine in checked luggage, at the airport or the pier. We were fortunate on our last cruise. We left from Italy and we bought the wine there before boarding the ship, put it in the carry on and boarded with no problem. I bring my own cork screw. The ones they bring to the room are terrible and I actually broke one of them. :(