Demographic on longer cruises?

I just returned from a 10 day Celebrity Cruise, and the demographic was quite elderly. I have heard that Royal attracts a wider mix of passengers, but I am wondering if this is true for longer cruises as well. I am looking to book an 11 day on Serenade next January. I did not mind being one of the few couples in their late twenties or early thirties, but my husband greatly disliked it. Thanks in advance for the help!

Anything that involves more than five working days is likely to have a very high average age. Royal Caribbean in general attracts younger passengers. So does Carnival and NCL.

I have been on longer Royal Caribbean cruises (10 nights, 12 nights and 14 nights) and most of the passengers are retired.

I spent 13 nights on an NCL cruise and again most of the passengers were retired. In fact, my cabin stewardess told me she cleaned my cabin last at night because everyone else was older and retired early. I was 52 at the time.

I was on an eight night Carnival Cruise that went from Monday to the following Tuesday. Once again, it was a much older crowd then would be found on a one week Carnival cruise.

That said, even on a normal cruise, passengers on Princess, HAL and Celebrity will tend to be older than passengers on Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean.

If you want a younger crowd, try Disney (if you can afford it) or take shorter cruises (anything that involves less than five working days).

I just returned from a 10 day Celebrity Cruise, and the demographic was quite elderly. I have heard that Royal attracts a wider mix of passengers, but I am wondering if this is true for longer cruises as well. I am looking to book an 11 day on Serenade next January. I did not mind being one of the few couples in their late twenties or early thirties, but my husband greatly disliked it. Thanks in advance for the help!

We have sailed on Royal Caribbean in January 2013 and 2014, both 12 night Caribbean cruises and we were some of the youngest on board and we are 50.

:rolleyes::o

As I said earlier, instead of strollers, it was the motorized wheelchairs. There had to be every orthopedic piece of equipment made. Don't get me wrong, two of those passengers with the orthopedic equipment were with us..my parents. We were horrified at the number of people my Mother ran over with her walker. There must have been half a dozen people who had to see the doctor for broken toes during those 11 days. We took a cruise out of San Juan and it was the most lively, youngest demo of any cruise. Wish we could have taken a B2B for that cruise. The music, the games by the pool...everything was much more attuned to young people.

I don't think I've been on a cruise with what I would call "quite elderly" folks, but the Alaska/Panama/South America might qualify for older people enjoying the perks of retirement and extra income.

That said, I have always found the younger to be the ruder and will always give way to a scooter or walker.

And we will be there in a decade, so watch out! Two decades and we'll be what I call quite elderly.

I really appreciate all the feedback! I really have no issue sailing on a cruise with an older demographic, but my husband got annoyed with all the comments "You are way too young to cruise" etc. I think most were just semi-serious, but still it gets annoying after a while. We did meet wonderful people of all different age groups, and certainly we had a lovely time. A plus side was that we got to participate in pretty much any game show or activity we wanted! This cruise had just 16 children. It was quite humorous that people were falling asleep everywhere on the ship, and the activity manager even commented on it a couple times throughout the cruise. :) I think we will explore a few options including back to back. I may check out some cruises out of San Juan, because it is hard to get to all the awesome ports with a 7 day out of Florida. I would really love the Serenade itinerary, so I shall see if I can convince my husband. :)

I say, just chill. Let them be envious if they want to me. We get that quite a bit too. We are under 40.

The last time on Celebrity, we did feel out of place at some instances, especially during the Elite events! But we ended having up very good conversations with people too. So that was great.

When we started to cruise 20 years ago, there were substantially more older persons cruising. Now, everyone seems to be about our age.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Too funny Shirley. It seems like only yesterday you and I were enjoying Montego Bay - not 40 years ago ;) Your cruise should be starting soon.

On the Hornblowers around the Horn on Marina of the Seas, my 17 year old daughter was over 25 years younger than anyone else (except the crew) for the last two legs. She had a great time but I don't know that she would choose to repeat it.

Well, I admit to being old. But I am sure happy not to be surrounded entirely by old people. I like the little kids, we should all like little kids, they are the future. And I really like young people who will look past my grey hair and see - a person. The day I become an old grump with no interest in new ideas or new people is the day I am no longer useful on this planet, and should stop using its resources.

As for rudeness, it's unforgivable, at any age. But especially in older people, who have had a lifetime to learn the importance of behaving better.

Well, I admit to being old. But I am sure happy not to be surrounded entirely by old people. I like the little kids, we should all like little kids, they are the future. And I really like young people who will look past my grey hair and see - a person. The day I become an old grump with no interest in new ideas or new people is the day I am no longer useful on this planet, and should stop using its resources.

As for rudeness, it's unforgivable, at any age. But especially in older people, who have had a lifetime to learn the importance of behaving better.

As far as rudeness, I think that some older people simply become bitter because of the way they have been treated by younger people. So many young people (teens and 20's, etc) can be horribly mean to the elderly because they walk or drive too slow, or because they may actually be entitled to use the handicapped parking spots, or their hearing isn't so great, etc. I think some of these elderly people may just be tired of being insulted, ridiculed, etc and have just become bitter over the years. Then again, I also think that some people are just mean and nasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Us, being both 45, sort of like the idea of feeling a bit younger than the retired folks onboard longer cruises. We're going on our first TA which seems also attract more older generation. I am going to fully enjoy if somebody still thinks I am at least younger, if not young!

But that feeling only comes after some ageing. You try to act older when you are young, and younger when you actually have became older. Strange.

It's your cruise, do enjoy it and do not let others bother you, despite of their age.

Be happy! Enjoy!

Our longest cruises have been 14 nights long, both from Southampton.The first one with RCCL and the second with Celebrity. Believe it or not the cruise with the older crowd was Royal's in the beginning of June. We cruise with Celebrity in July and love it, the perfect mix of ages and nationalities. Even our children like to cruise with them.:):)

Depends on time of year, itinerary and port of departure. I can say that out of the Northeast it seems to be an older crowd during the winter when schools are not on break. For example, we have just finished 10 day RCCL Quantum out of NJ (average age 65),

Quantum's still commanding a premium price, which will help skew the passenger profile older.

[quote name='neniukas']You guys scaring me. We in our mid 30 and we going on 10 night from nj. Hopefully not gonna get beat with the cane :)))[/QUOTE]

When I first sailed with royal like maybe 5 years ago the guest game which is basically for adults only with an opening mind there were always like at least more than 10 captains. Now, they just divide the ice arena in a few groups otherwise there will be no enough ( young )people to join. :-(

And don't worry, the more day at ports your itinerary has the less you will notice the people onboard

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app