Taking Passport

fla gang

In the Caribbean we never take our passport off. The reason why is that we usually do water activities and don't want to take the chance of it getting wet and will not leave it on the beach!

Now on our cruise out of the Med we did take them off with us as we were not doing any water activities and was told it was required by law in Italy to have it on you. So between that and long port days that we were on our own figured we would rather be safe than sorry if we missed the ship.

I always scan important documents - passport, driver license, medical insurance information, medical power of attorney, itinerary, etc. I put copies on a password encrypted waterproof mini USB drive which is inconspicuous and easy to carry. I also have copies on the 'cloud' and provide my emergency contact with the URL/Password required to retrieve copies. If stranded it may not be as beneficial as having the actual documentation, but probably the next best thing.

We take copies of ours off the ship in port. Figure worst case scenario at least we have the passport number to show at embassy instead of having "nothing". Don't like to take the passport itself off the ship though.

That's what we do as well.

I would never set foot in a foreign country without having my Passport, a credit card and some cash. We leave our Passport Cards on the ship. If we miss the boat we can fly to the next port or fly home. If we lose our Passport in a port of call we can reenter the U.S. from a cruise ship with a Passport Card. All bases covered and less risk of a nightmare.

FYI: Not that one should count on it happening, but I have personally seen the ship staff leave passports with the port authority when people hadn't shown up for the ship. I assume that at least sometimes they must search a room and/or safe looking for passports to leave behind.

My wife was late back to the ship and they searched our room for her passport before I got there. Wife was last one on and they asked her every port after that what time she should be back.

I always have mine in my bag when I'm off the ship. It is much easier to carry it around and never use it, then to be stranded at a port and try to figure out how to get a new one from a consulate or embassy. Plus they are $160 each - too expensive to worry about replacing

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Canadian Disney Mom

I would never set foot in a foreign country without having my Passport, a credit card and some cash. We leave our Passport Cards on the ship. If we miss the boat we can fly to the next port or fly home. If we lose our Passport in a port of call we can reenter the U.S. from a cruise ship with a Passport Card. All bases covered and less risk of a nightmare.

I agree. While in the states I don't go anywhere without my drivers license. It is my ID should something happen.

In the Caribbean we never take our passport off. The reason why is that we usually do water activities and don't want to take the chance of it getting wet and will not leave it on the beach!

Now on our cruise out of the Med we did take them off with us as we were not doing any water activities and was told it was required by law in Italy to have it on you. So between that and long port days that we were on our own figured we would rather be safe than sorry if we missed the ship.

We are the same, on Caribbean trips, passports stay in the safe but on trips to Europe, we take them with us always

being retired from law enforcement, in a tourist city, I cannot tell you how many people from foreign countries came into the office to make a lost passport report and were leaving the country that day or the next day. The airlines just do a little more checking before they board you. I am sure there have been US Citizens who lost their passports abroad and do not go to an embassy to get a new one ..It happens

How do they get back into the US?

being retired from law enforcement, in a tourist city, I cannot tell you how many people from foreign countries came into the office to make a lost passport report and were leaving the country that day or the next day. The airlines just do a little more checking before they board you. I am sure there have been US Citizens who lost their passports abroad and do not go to an embassy to get a new one ..It happens

In a different stream there was a long debate on how difficult it would be to fly back to the US in case of emergency if someone needed to from a closed loop cruise where they did not have a passport or if someone lost their passport.

Some said that it would be easy, as you implied.

So I wrote the consulate in Bermuda to find out the process and if what the consulate would give someone to fly. The following is the answer I received:

"One should always be in possession of a passport when leaving the continental United States although it is not required for closed loop travel. So, if something happens and a traveller must return to the United States by air, they will be required to purchase a U.S. passport, no other document is valid for this travel although there is room for some deviation in life and death emergencies."

The rules listed on the State Department web site also indicate that getting such a passport is only done during normal business hours, unless there is a life or death situation.

So I do not expect that the airlines would let you fly without one.

Agree' date=' we NEVER take with us, as long as you have Sea-Pass card and photo ID, these 2 items prove that you were on that ship and if you are irresponsible and/or something tragic happens and miss the ship the US will be able to check manifest to see that. [/b']

All we need to get around.

We always leave ours on the ship but....we were getting back on the ship in Puerto Rico and we were asked for it. I was shocked. We had our Sea Pass but they wanted our passport. We were given a lecture before we were allowed back on.

We always leave ours on the ship but....we were getting back on the ship in Puerto Rico and we were asked for it. I was shocked. We had our Sea Pass but they wanted our passport. We were given a lecture before we were allowed back on.

That doesn't make any sense. Lots of people cruise that don't even have a passport, and Puerto Rico is US territory.

In a different stream there was a long debate on how difficult it would be to fly back to the US in case of emergency if someone needed to from a closed loop cruise where they did not have a passport or if someone lost their passport.

Some said that it would be easy, as you implied.

So I wrote the consulate in Bermuda to find out the process and if what the consulate would give someone to fly. The following is the answer I received:

"One should always be in possession of a passport when leaving the continental United States although it is not required for closed loop travel. So, if something happens and a traveller must return to the United States by air, they will be required to purchase a U.S. passport, no other document is valid for this travel although there is room for some deviation in life and death emergencies."

The rules listed on the State Department web site also indicate that getting such a passport is only done during normal business hours, unless there is a life or death situation.

So I do not expect that the airlines would let you fly without one.

This is correct, no airline will let you on an international flight without a valid passport or "emergency travel documents" issued by your country of citizenship. I am not sure how that process works with other countries, but for Americans, if your passport gets lost or stolen while out of the country you have to visit an US Embassy or Consulate office in the country you a visiting to get a replacement passport. Mind you, the nearest embassy or consulate office can be hundreds of miles from where you are, so you will need to travel to the place where they are located.

All US Embassies and most consulate offices have the ability onsite to produce passports once your identity has been validated. This is why it is a god idea to have a photo copy or electronic copy of your current passport as it greatly speeds up identity validation. If you in a place where an on-the-spot passport can't be provided and immediate travel is required, you can be issued Emergency Travel Documents that will satisfy travel requirements to get on a flight back to the US.

A number of years ago I was in Paris and one of my travel companions lost their passport and they were issued a replacement within 4 hours once they got to the US Embassy in Paris. The replacement looked just like the original and was a permanent replacement for the one that was lost

Just want to point out, that in some foreign countries it is a law that non-citizens must carry a passport at all times. You can check the US State Department website if you are looking for information on specific countries.

Assuming that your paper copy will stand as a substitute is as absurd as assuming that a law enforcement official will accept a paper copy of your driver's license during a traffic stop, or that the TSA will accept a copy of a license or passport at security screening. Just try it next time!

Your passport is your single most important form of personal identification. It only serves its intended purpose if it is with you in an emergency. If you cannot take the necessary precautions to secure it on your person when you are out and about, perhaps you should reexamine things. In reality - it is not much more difficult to replace than a license or credit card. We keep the COPY in the safe onboard.

FWIW I recently needed to fly domestically without any form of personal ID. It was a huge hassle, and that was only within the US!

That doesn't make any sense. Lots of people cruise that don't even have a passport, and Puerto Rico is US territory.

That wouldn't really matter - how would the crewmember know you were a US citizen, or a passenger from another country?

This is correct, no airline will let you on an international flight without a valid passport or "emergency travel documents" issued by your country of citizenship. I am not sure how that process works with other countries, but for Americans, if your passport gets lost or stolen while out of the country you have to visit an US Embassy or Consulate office in the country you a visiting to get a replacement passport. Mind you, the nearest embassy or consulate office can be hundreds of miles from where you are, so you will need to travel to the place where they are located.

All US Embassies and most consulate offices have the ability onsite to produce passports once your identity has been validated. This is why it is a god idea to have a photo copy or electronic copy of your current passport as it greatly speeds up identity validation. If you in a place where an on-the-spot passport can't be provided and immediate travel is required, you can be issued Emergency Travel Documents that will satisfy travel requirements to get on a flight back to the US.

A number of years ago I was in Paris and one of my travel companions lost their passport and they were issued a replacement within 4 hours once they got to the US Embassy in Paris. The replacement looked just like the original and was a permanent replacement for the one that was lost

From my discussions with the consulate the "emergency travel documents" are an emergency passport of limited duration. They indicated that the only exception would be in case of life or death situations (emergency medical evacuation) or some kind of a mass disaster situation (for example a cruise being terminated and everyone being flown back on specially approved charter flights). They indicated other then that it would only be processed during normal working hours at the embassy or consulate office and could take several days.

Just want to point out, that in some foreign countries it is a law that non-citizens must carry a passport at all times. You can check the US State Department website if you are looking for information on specific countries.

Assuming that your paper copy will stand as a substitute is as absurd as assuming that a law enforcement official will accept a paper copy of your driver's license during a traffic stop, or that the TSA will accept a copy of a license or passport at security screening. Just try it next time!

Your passport is your single most important form of personal identification. It only serves its intended purpose if it is with you in an emergency. If you cannot take the necessary precautions to secure it on your person when you are out and about, perhaps you should reexamine things. In reality - it is not much more difficult to replace than a license or credit card. We keep the COPY in the safe onboard.

FWIW I recently needed to fly domestically without any form of personal ID. It was a huge hassle, and that was only within the US!

In New Zealand security personnel (probably immigration officers) at the ports would not accept photo copies of passports, only originals. They also had a full list of all people on the ship that they could reference if there was any question.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that a paper copy of a passport would stand as a substitute. They were pointing out that having a copy might make it easier to obtain a replacement.