D1 on Oasis/Allure Balcony questions

Was looking at some layouts and looked like D1 rooms on the hump have deeper balcony. Can anyone comment from real experience? Is the balcony deeper? And if yes is it worth the premium price or not really? Think I can get it for an extra $68/Person.

D1 "hump" balconies are larger than other D category balconies on Oasis and Allure. 80 square feet versus 50 square feet on D2-D8. Angled balconies near front or back of the hump may be slightly different.

Edited by LMaxwell

They are bigger- despite what it might say in the deck plans which never seem to match up with reality! ;) I have photos of the cabin and balcony early in my Oasis Eastern review linked in my signature.

Thank you for the photos of your d1 balcony! DH and I are on the oasis and May and we chose a d1 balcony. It was nice to have an idea of the size. Your review was wonderful!

Looks good thanks. We need sofa bed so don't know if D5 will work for us, but will look into it.

We have D4's booked and it looks like $130 upgrade to D1. Will talked it out with DW.

Our D4 is closer to the elevator but a bit farther aft then the D1. I hated walking down the long corridors on Oasis,. We have a little one that will be in Adventure Ocean, so will have lots of trips Forward. So we picked Deck 8 closer to the aft elevator so if we need to walk forward, we walk across the Park, soooo much more pleasant. So I guess my follow up question did it feel like a long walk to elevator from D1 hump rooms?

So I guess my follow up question did it feel like a long walk to elevator from D1 hump rooms?

Ehhh, a little bit of a walk. Our D1 was basically behind Chops; so right in the middle of CP. So every time we wanted to go somewhere we had to basically walk half of CP (forward or aft) to get to staircase / elevators. We don't have mobility issues, but forgetting something in the room was a pain in the neck.

We only took a D1 on a massive price drop that made them less than D2-D8. In fact, the price drop made the D1 only $10 more than our standard interior cabin we originally booked. I didn't even know about the huge balcony at the time. And while the balcony was really nice, even the standard 50 sq foot balcony is adequate.

$130 to upgrade......ehhhhh.......I'd rather spend it elsewhere. But that's just me. I don't think there is a wrong choice, but like all choices, there are tradeoffs.

here's a post I made in a similar thread awhile back.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43801027&postcount=10

IMO the extra space on the balcony is great if you have more than 2 people or if you can get a good deal but it's not worth a bunch of extra money because you don't get loungers or anything that makes it more appealing to relax out there. Plus, while on Oasis, we were so busy we didn't use the balcony as much as we usually do on other ships - the spare time just wasn't there.

We had one on deck 8 and loved the location - it was next to central park which was very convenient, very little hallway traffic as there were no inside cabins on the other side of the hallway and only 2 decks down to the promenade and boardwalk. We've never had a better cabin location-wise. But you can get other D cats just down the hall with as good a location and I'd do that next time rather than spend extra on balcony space. YMMV:)

Thank you for the photos of your d1 balcony! DH and I are on the oasis and May and we chose a d1 balcony. It was nice to have an idea of the size. Your review was wonderful!

Why thanks!! That's why I post all that stuff, it's hopefully helpful even years down the road! :D

I think D1 & D2 hump balconies are the same size.

Looks like they are changing all the D1 humps with only double occupancy to D2s starting this month. The 3/4 occupancy rooms are staying as D1s.

Up until now, all the large hump balconies on Oasis and Allure were D1s.

Edited by The Sunset Glow

We're booked for March 2016 on Allure with a D1 hump balcony. We have 4 in the cabin so the balcony was a must. The larger space is a bonus!

Never sailed on the Allure, but according to the pics I've seen, I think a smaller balcony would be fine for just two people. But, honestly, with 4 people for 7 days; I would think you would want every square inch you can get! ;)

~Bob~