Book directly with carnival or get a TA?

BreezyBri

TAs can offer some 'perks', though with carnival's price structure, they are typically very low any more, as they don't let the TAs discount below their prices, and limit the amount of 'perks' they can offer. beyond that general statement though, ymmv and i've heard of anything from a *small* amount of OBC to free travel insurance, etc.

however, know up front that if you ever need to make changes to your booking, apply for price drops, or contact carnival in any other form, you would need to run this through a TA. also note some TAs may charge service fees for the price drops, so if you're booking early saver for the price drops this could be an issue. if booking early saver (which probably expires on your cruise soon), personally i'd book direct for the ease of handling price drops.

We are booking our first cruise sometime this week. Should I book directly with carnival or will TA be able to gift us any "credits"

Looking for the 4 day cruise to Mexico and Catalina Island in May.

I generally recommend that newbies use a Travel Agent (preferably one that has a store front where you can sit down and discuss cruising face to face).

There are a number factors that TAs are knowledgeable of that will enhanced your vacation.

Cabin selection

The important of Travel Insurance

Additional costs like gratuities to expect once you board

etc

We use a PVP (which is dealing directly with Carnival) but only because we have tons of experience.

In fact, we are traveling to Europe in 2016 with Carnival and are using a TA because we are not knowledgeable about travel across the pond.

Btw, a TA does not cost you anything when booking a cruise.

Edited by LHP

I agree, it depends on your situation. If all you need is the cruise then booking directly with Carnival would be fine. If you need flights, transfers, hotel before and/or after the cruise, insurance, etc. then a TA may be more helpful. I like planning all our own details so I do all that myself and book directly with Carnival.

Book with Carnival directly. Pretty much anything a TA can do, you can do as well, and probably more efficiently.

Booked with a TA my first cruise. Was promised $50 OBC and some beverage coupons. Never got either. Could never get a hold of her when I did need something. Ever since then, did it on my own, with no issues. I like the control being in my hands.

I vote for doing your research via the Carnival website and figuring out which ship/itinerary you want to look at. Then, call and get a PVP to make your booking. A PVP will have access to information the website may not have available, they have ALL available cabins to choose from where the website only shows (usually) up to 10 in each category. Plus, a PVP has gotten us OBCs that we probably would not have gotten via the website.

The only plus from using a TA is that some may offer some sort of additional OBC or "gift" that a Carnival PVP cannot. But, if you are not personal friends with or have uses a TA for a long time, I think you are asking for frustration should something need immediate attention.

Whichever direction you go, have a great cruise!!

We, and everyone else in my family, have always used the same Carnival PVP that helped us book our first cruise with the. She is great! Very knowledgeable and very helpful.. Saves us money whenever she can! Just call Carnival and you will get one.

We've booked both ways. Typically only go with a TA if they are offering OBC that the cruiseline is not. As others have said, if you go with a TA, you will have to call on them for any price drops. The one we've used in the past will get them on the phone right then & there to get it handled. They are a well known agency & we've never had an issue getting our OBC from them.

Book it yourself on Carnival's website. Be in control of your own booking.:D

This way, if you get price drops, you don't have to depend on ANYONE to help you get them.

It's all you.

I used to be a TA, and I miss it.:(

Just a fading industry.

Most people book on their own, online.

Book it yourself on Carnival's website. Be in control of your own booking.:D

This way, if you get price drops, you don't have to depend on ANYONE to help you get them.

It's all you.

I used to be a TA, and I miss it.:(

Just a fading industry.

Most people book on their own, online.

Yes this is the way to do it. I like booking directly with Carnival and keeping up price drops.

It is really a personal decision. My TA a happens to be a friend of 20 years. She works in a small local center. I prefer to use her and put that commission in her pocket and support the local economy.

I do my homework. I have found helpful hints on Cruise Critic, that I pass onto her. I don't get any special perks, but I do get a sincere appreciation from her because she knows I could do it myself.

There is no right or wrong way to book, just whatever is easiest for you.

Never missed out on a price drop or felt out of control of my booking using a TA. Honestly I don't know why people say that. Either way you have to get on the phone to handle things. I have booked online as well. Honestly don't find anything wrong with either method. I also don't agree that travel agents are a dying industry. Anybody can book a simple cruise yes. But many utilize TAs as evidenced by how inundated the Internet is with them. I think maybe smaller brick and mortar agencies are less these days than before but they are certainly useful.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Not sure why people say TA's are out of date and can't get you anything but hey, I might be missing something and $250 OBC isn't anything..

That being said, there really are some good perks you can get using a TA, but for booking your very first cruise I would go with Carnival themselves and one of their PVP's. This way if you need anything you know you will be able to get a hold of someone in a short amount of time.

If/when you get more comfortable you can start looking at TA's and then make the choice if you feel they are right for you. The biggest thing is by using a TA, Carnival won't talk to you about your booking at all, everything must go threw the TA even if it is a simple question you have about your room.

It can be frustrating using a TA, take for example I didn't have the rest of my family's past guest numbers handy when I booked and was told I could just put them on late. Emailed my TA the information 6 days ago. Never heard back. Called him today and was told "Well you aren't sailing until August so I thought I had time to do it" :rolleyes:

Unless you already have a travel agent who you really like and does a great job for you, I'd just book it myself with a Carnival PVP (easy and about the same price from either). Do some homework -- These boards are a great resource and the PVP can help too. Have fun.

I always book with the cruiseline we are sailing and then before final payment we transfer the booking to our TA. That way, I can have immediate help from a cruise line representative if I need it for some reason and I always get a nice OBC from the TA. Usually we end up with $200 and I consider that to be significant. It pays the tips or some drinks or a nice dinner in the steak restaurant. And my TA gets the commission so she can get some drinks or a nice dinner. :D

Virtually all TA's and PVP's work from home now. They will occasionally have to call an advisory at CCL. I think basicallyl what all of them do is just about what you can do yourself on line from Carnival. the advantage to booking online at carnival.com, is that if you have a problem, you can call the 800 number and probably get someone who can actually do something about it. And the previous cruiser is correct - if you book through a TA - carnival will not speak to you about your cruise or your problem.

We are booking our first cruise sometime this week. Should I book directly with carnival or will TA be able to gift us any "credits"

Looking for the 4 day cruise to Mexico and Catalina Island in May.

When we checked with a TA for our first cruise, he didn't tell us anything we didn't already know and seemed more interested in telling us about HIS vacations he'd taken courtesy of his travel agency. :confused:

So we went home, called Carnival and booked it ourselves.

There are other options than just Carnival and a local "human" TA. I am thinking that most people would consider the major online cruise consolidators to be travel agents also? It pays to shop around. Some of these larger companies buy up blocks of cabins and thus can sell them for whatever they want. Sometimes beating Carnival pricing. Often times they will offer some perks that you can't get directly through Carnival, like OBC. Though these are fairly rare now.

We booked two cruises for this year and were able to get both for less through our online travel agent for less than if we booked directly through Carnival. One was $200 cheaper and the other was $500 cheaper for two people. I can't explain it other than they are purchasing cabins to sell. In most other cases the prices we see the online cruise consolidators are the same price we see on Carnivals website.

It pays to shop around at the many other online cruise agents. Just be careful as some of them have cancellation fees and may even charge a fee if you need to make a change. So you need to know when you book if you think you are getting the best price or not.

Edited by dioxide45

I generally recommend that newbies use a Travel Agent (preferably one that has a store front where you can sit down and discuss cruising face to face).

There are a number factors that TAs are knowledgeable of that will enhanced your vacation.

Cabin selection

The important of Travel Insurance

Additional costs like gratuities to expect once you board

etc

We use a PVP (which is dealing directly with Carnival) but only because we have tons of experience.

In fact, we are traveling to Europe in 2016 with Carnival and are using a TA because we are not knowledgeable about travel across the pond.

Btw, a TA does not cost you anything when booking a cruise.

Great thread and mileage varies as well as experience where one is going.

Like this answer OP.

There is time in between my air travels, and sea travels..each time is a review and improvement on everything from what I take and how I pack...to type of travel insurance I buy...how I bid and care for my pre and post hotel..excursions etc.

I use a TA at my preferred airline for air miles and being able to call them to fix problems en route 24/7 is what I love..always my questions come up in middle of night that last day or Sunday..NO Problem!! LOVE THAT>>

I may not have the same person at this big agency..but someone will and does help with problems...and they will hunt for a best price for me when I research current prices somewhere..they do have a cruise department.

I get insurance through an online insurance agency...separate from the cruise line's offers for no conflict of interest..this is best and a good TA will encourage this..they may have an insurance agency they favor but they should be competitive with the perks you want and can buy online with cancel for any reason and no preexisting issues to be a block to getting your money back...you need to research the rules for this and not get insurance too far away form final payment...

If you are exclusive to Carnival and book way ahead for price drops..well see where a PVP there would be nice..that should be a yes in interview question to TA though...will they be willing to handle price drops if not in favor to their bottom line of being paid by final amount your cruise ends up being...? A small fee for this may or may not be worth it to you.

I have a friend who had/has her second career in cruise travel. She now is purely luxury travel and agent..she did everything to get there and semi-retired has enough of a following to make it just fine..and these now are experienced luxury/ occasionally premium people who want a TA who knows that level. Folks here on boards have told me someone like that at that level is invaluable. If I did not have experience with her when she was comming up and the stories..I would not have had the right q's to ask mine that is not any one person at agency I choose. I have a cross between a Carnival TA and my own Private TA in a way..LOL...

Happy travels and choosing.

Edited by sjn911