CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Talked with The Bride and we are going to leave Friday after work. So how will traffic be on Saturday AM and is the new exit/route clearly marked? I think my Garmin has the new exit but just in case it doesn’t I want a backup plan. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Excellent decision. Traffic should be fine on Sat - 880 and 1010 radio will tell you about it every 10 minutes.

I haven't seen the new exit configuration. It just opened. My understanding is this: you still get off at Turnpike exit 14A. Stay to the left so that you can follow the signs to Chosin Few Way. At the end of this road you make a left onto Goldsborough Drive which merges onto Port Terminal Blvd. Hopefully they have put up the little Cruiseport signs.

I totally agree with your advice. OP - Newark is a highly urban area and from what I've seen from the PATH train, Harrison is particularly isolated and desolate. If you're not from an urban area, this could be very offputting. If you're planning to go into NYC, look at the Hilton Newark Penn Station, which is slightly less than the Element. It is still urban, but close to restaurants, transportation, and services.

Airport hotel prices are high for 10/6. Your best budget option would be the trinityreservations.com Bayonne Cruiseport sleep/cruise package at the Ramada for $182 tax included which gives you a room and round trip port transportation for 2 people. This is a very popular package with cruisers. The Ramada is a solid 3 star hotel and I was very happy with it when I stayed there. They have a restaurant and cafe and offer free internet as well. However, there is no place to go from this hotel except for the Doubletree next door.

If you want to be near some sort of civilization at the airport, look at the Elizabeth hotels - Embassy Suites, Courtyard Elizabeth, Residence Inn, and Country Inns.

Wherever you choose to stay, pay attention to how their airport shuttles work. The further away the hotel is from the airport, the less frequently the shuttle runs. You have to take yourselves and your luggage to the P4 Airtrain station to connect with the hotel shuttles.

Thanks for the info. We chose the Element because we have points and can stay free. We're arriving late so don't need a place to eat, just sleep and head to the port. Sounds like we'll be okay. We're skipping NYC on this trip having been there many times previously when we had a son at NYU.

Appreciate the responses.

Hello! We'll be flying into EWR the day before our Anthem cruise in Oct. We depart on a Thur. We'll be staying in Elizabeth, NJ at Country Inn. Do we still need to hire the car service if we're just going to our hotel and not into NY or is there shuttle to the hotel?

On the disembark, we'll be leaving out of LGA at 1:30pm on a Saturday. Maybe this is where I was thinking we need the car service?? There are 4 of us with lots of luggage!!:eek:

Thanks in advance!! ;)

Hello! We'll be flying into EWR the day before our Anthem cruise in Oct. We depart on a Thur. We'll be staying in Elizabeth, NJ at Country Inn. Do we still need to hire the car service if we're just going to our hotel and not into NY or is there shuttle to the hotel?

On the disembark, we'll be leaving out of LGA at 1:30pm on a Saturday. Maybe this is where I was thinking we need the car service?? There are 4 of us with lots of luggage!!:eek:

Thanks in advance!! ;)

Country Inns has a free shuttle from the P4 Airtrain station. You will have to collect your luggage, take the elevator or escalator up to the terminal's Airtrain station, and ride the Airtrain to the P4 station.

To get to LGA you should use a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo to go from NJ to NY. Plan to get picked up between 9 and 10 am.

Good miring. I was reading another post on Celebrity site that there is apparent construction in/around Bayonne (or Turnpike) on weekends impacting cruise traffic. Any truth to these rumor? We depart on August 5th (and are planning on driving from South Jersey that morning). Thank you all in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good miring. I was reading another post on Celebrity site that there is apparent construction in/around Bayonne (or Turnpike) on weekends impacting cruise traffic. Any truth to these rumor? We depart on August 5th (and are planning on driving from South Jersey that morning). Thank you all in advance.

Meant to say ‘Good Morning’

We are considering using a car service - CT to Bayonne and return - for our Summit cruise.

Question: what is the expected tip for the driver?

BTW the service we are considering wants the trip paid in cash. They charge an additional 11% for credit card.

Thoughts on that?

We are considering using a car service - CT to Bayonne and return - for our Summit cruise.

BTW the service we are considering wants the trip paid in cash. They charge an additional 11% for credit card.

Thoughts on that?

Typically we suggest a 18-20% tip for the base price of the car service. What did your car service say about tolls?

The 11% surcharge for a credit card is certainly an incentive to pay in cash.

Thoughts on that?

My thought on the 11% credit card surcharge is that they're ripping you off. They likely pay no more than 3% to the credit card company. I don't know what the norm s in CT, but I've never paid a credit card surcharge to any limo company I've used in NY or NJ. Businesses of almost every type usually factor the cost of credit card usage into their base price. Businesses that may not such as gas stations don't charge anywhere near 11%.

Thoughts on that?

Not sure where in CT you are but every time I have priced car service from Stamford to Bayonne it runs approximately $400 - $500 round trip. Driving and parking for 2 weeks only costs us approximately $300. Driving and parking for 1 week only costs us about $160. So we have never used car service. That 11% sounds way too high and also I never heard of a reputable car service in our area charging that for credit card usage.

Country Inns has a free shuttle from the P4 Airtrain station. You will have to collect your luggage, take the elevator or escalator up to the terminal's Airtrain station, and ride the Airtrain to the P4 station.

To get to LGA you should use a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo to go from NJ to NY. Plan to get picked up between 9 and 10 am.

Ok that is great info. Thank you for the info.

How will it be with 4 bags per couple on the P4?

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

Basically you have to troll two bags each up to the Airtrain to go to P4. A luggage cart might be an option, but not sure if they're allowed on the Airtrain.

THANK YOU!

Basically you have to troll two bags each up to the Airtrain to go to P4. A luggage cart might be an option, but not sure if they're allowed on the Airtrain.

Luggage carts are permitted on AirTrain:

https://www.newarkairport.com/to-from-airport/air-train

Cargo

You are welcome to bring the following:

• Baggage
  • Luggage carts
  • Strollers
  • Guide dogs and other service animals
  • Small domestic animals in secure carriers. (We recommend that you check with NJ Transit or Amtrak regarding their policies.)
  • Smarte Cartes (They can be picked up and dropped off at the airline terminals. They will not be allowed through the fare gates at the AirTrain Newark stations. You may take Smarte Cartes into the parking lots.)
  • Airport luggage carts are allowed on AirTrain, but are not permitted on escalators.
  • Bicycles (There are no time restrictions imposed on bicycles, and bicycle permits are not required. Only two bicycles per train are permitted at a time. Bicycle groups of five or more must notify AirTrain Operations. AirTrain reserves the right to designate trains where bicycles will be permitted.
    Bicycles must remain in the custody of the bicyclists, who are responsible for their safekeeping and must secure them so they do not pose a hazard to other passengers. Bicycles on AirTrain cars must be kept clear from doors at all times. The kickstand of the bicycle must remain up at all times. Bicyclists must move their bicycles, if necessary, to permit mobility of other customers.
    Bicycle riding on platforms, in station areas or while in a train is prohibited. Bicycles are not permitted on escalators.
    Bicyclists must comply with instructions from AirTrain crew, agents, customer service and/or police and fire department personnel.

After changes to our flight by delta we elected to fly to EWR not LGA. Can anyone tell me the hotel shuttles pick pax up at P4 or Terminal baggage area.

We are senior citizens and would prefer not to handle luggage anymore than necessary. We will 2 large bags and 2 carryons

Joe

After changes to our flight by delta we elected to fly to EWR not LGA. Can anyone tell me the hotel shuttles pick pax up at P4 or Terminal baggage area.

We are senior citizens and would prefer not to handle luggage anymore than necessary. We will 2 large bags and 2 carryons

Joe

Hotel shuttles pick you up at P4. If you don't want to or can't easily go there I'd suggest taking a taxi or Uber from your airline terminal to your hotel.

Joe

What hotel are you staying at? It looks like you are on the Sep 23 Summit cruise. Much better to fly into EWR than LGA. How are you getting to Cape Liberty?

We have not selected a hotel yet probably a Hilton property. We plan on using dial 7 to the port. We welcome any recommendations

Joe

If you're flying into EWR and sailing from Cape Liberty, the Embassy Suites EWR/Elizabeth is lovely. Ruby Tuesday and IHOP walkable, outlet mall across the street. The hotel shuttle DOES pick up at P4 (they all do) but does not go to the mall, or it didn't when I stayed there in January.

The Hilton and Hampton Inn are older and reviews are not as good, plus they're isolated and you'd be stuck eating at the Hilton.

The ES runs their social hour differently due to NJ liquor laws, You get 2 tickets for drinks and can buy more for I think $2.00 for house drinks, or since it's a full bar, you can pay the going rate for better stuff.

hth.

I stayed at the ES and this confirmed Marriott snob really liked the hotel.

We have not selected a hotel yet probably a Hilton property. We plan on using dial 7 to the port. We welcome any recommendations

Joe

Cruisers really like Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, but it's pricey for Sep 22, I think because cruisers have already booked the more modest rooms. They do offer a Cruiseport shuttle for $20/pp. each way.

The Newark Airport Hilton is much less expensive for your date and is full service. The airport Doubletree is under construction. Hampton Inn offers free breakfast, but has no restaurant if you need dinner. They do offer free transportation to local restaurants because there is nothing that you can walk to from the hotel.

Luggage carts are permitted on AirTrain:

https://www.newarkairport.com/to-from-airport/air-train

Cargo

You are welcome to bring the following:

• Baggage
  • Luggage carts
  • Strollers
  • Guide dogs and other service animals
  • Small domestic animals in secure carriers. (We recommend that you check with NJ Transit or Amtrak regarding their policies.)
  • Smarte Cartes (They can be picked up and dropped off at the airline terminals. They will not be allowed through the fare gates at the AirTrain Newark stations. You may take Smarte Cartes into the parking lots.)
  • Airport luggage carts are allowed on AirTrain, but are not permitted on escalators.
  • Bicycles (There are no time restrictions imposed on bicycles, and bicycle permits are not required. Only two bicycles per train are permitted at a time. Bicycle groups of five or more must notify AirTrain Operations. AirTrain reserves the right to designate trains where bicycles will be permitted.
    Bicycles must remain in the custody of the bicyclists, who are responsible for their safekeeping and must secure them so they do not pose a hazard to other passengers. Bicycles on AirTrain cars must be kept clear from doors at all times. The kickstand of the bicycle must remain up at all times. Bicyclists must move their bicycles, if necessary, to permit mobility of other customers.
    Bicycle riding on platforms, in station areas or while in a train is prohibited. Bicycles are not permitted on escalators.
    Bicyclists must comply with instructions from AirTrain crew, agents, customer service and/or police and fire department personnel.

This is also great info and helpful. THANK YOU!

Does anyone have info for the Newark Hilton Penn Station or the Hampton inn Newark Harrison Riverwalk

Please give us more details - are you sailing from Cape Liberty and want to stay precruise in Newark to go sightseeing in NYC? If so, what do you want to see in NYC? What are your dates?

We recommend the Newark Penn Station Hilton all the time for this purpose. Not so much any hotel in Harrison.