CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

You're right - PATH alone wouldn't do it. The process would be to go to the taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty and get a taxi to the light rail station, take the light rail to Exchange Place, walk across the plaza, take PATH to Newark Penn Station, and walk across the skywalk to the Hilton Penn Station. The cost of this adventure would be $20-$25 for 2 people. For most folks this would not qualify as the "easiest" way to get to the Hilton, but it would be the cheapest way.

You're right - PATH alone wouldn't do it. The process would be to go to the taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty and get a taxi to the light rail station, take the light rail to Exchange Place, walk across the plaza, take PATH to Newark Penn Station, and walk across the skywalk to the Hilton Penn Station. The cost of this adventure would be $20-$25 for 2 people. For most folks this would not qualify as the "easiest" way to get to the Hilton, but it would be the cheapest way.

Poster "tedbearz" apparently thinks the person is going from NY City to NJ. Note the post starts "Could also take the PATH to NJ" .

You must take your parking ticket with you on the cruise so you have it to pay at the machines on the ground level to get a ticket to be able to exit the garage. The machines take cash or credit card, but cash only up to $50 bills.

Thanks!

I searched this thread but am still not sure of what I want to know. We are flying in to Newark on 10/6 and were planning on staying at The Element because it has an airport shuttle. We leave on the Summit the next day and figured we would take a car service or Uber, Lyft, etc. Is this okay? Or should we switch hotels?

I searched this thread but am still not sure of what I want to know. We are flying in to Newark on 10/6 and were planning on staying at The Element because it has an airport shuttle. We leave on the Summit the next day and figured we would take a car service or Uber, Lyft, etc. Is this okay? Or should we switch hotels?

Having an airport shuttle isn't a reason to stay at a particular Newark airport area hotel because every hotel in the Newark airport area has a free shuttle to and from the airport.

There's nothing wrong with this hotel as far as I know, but Element hotels are designed as extended stay properties with fully equipped kitchens, so you could be paying for something you don't need. Also there's nothing in particular in the area where the hotel is located, so if you're looking for a place to have dinner for example you may have to travel away from the hotel area a bit. There are some good Spanish and Portuguese restaurants in the Ironbound neighborhood of Newark that would be a short taxi ride away.

Perhaps if you tell us your budget and bed requirements there may be hotels better suited to your needs for less money. FYI...the Newark Airport area is urban and industrial so no hotel is going to have a resort-like feel .

Uber, Lyft, car service or taxi are all possibilities from hotel to the port. There are also some hotels that have shuttle service to the ports as part of a package or for an additional charge.

Having an airport shuttle isn't a reason to stay at a particular Newark airport area hotel because every hotel in the Newark airport area has a free shuttle to and from the airport.

There's nothing wrong with this hotel as far as I know, but Element hotels are designed as extended stay properties with fully equipped kitchens, so you could be paying for something you don't need. Also there's nothing in particular in the area where the hotel is located, so if you're looking for a place to have dinner for example you may have to travel away from the hotel area a bit. There are some good Spanish and Portuguese restaurants in the Ironbound neighborhood of Newark that would be a short taxi ride away.

Perhaps if you tell us your budget and bed requirements there may be hotels better suited to your needs for less money. FYI...the Newark Airport area is urban and industrial so no hotel is going to have a resort-like feel .

Uber, Lyft, car service or taxi are all possibilities from hotel to the port. There are also some hotels that have shuttle service to the ports as part of a package or for an additional charge.

I totally agree with your advice. OP - Newark is a highly urban area and from what I've seen from the PATH train, Harrison is particularly isolated and desolate. If you're not from an urban area, this could be very offputting. If you're planning to go into NYC, look at the Hilton Newark Penn Station, which is slightly less than the Element. It is still urban, but close to restaurants, transportation, and services.

Airport hotel prices are high for 10/6. Your best budget option would be the trinityreservations.com Bayonne Cruiseport sleep/cruise package at the Ramada for $182 tax included which gives you a room and round trip port transportation for 2 people. This is a very popular package with cruisers. The Ramada is a solid 3 star hotel and I was very happy with it when I stayed there. They have a restaurant and cafe and offer free internet as well. However, there is no place to go from this hotel except for the Doubletree next door.

If you want to be near some sort of civilization at the airport, look at the Elizabeth hotels - Embassy Suites, Courtyard Elizabeth, Residence Inn, and Country Inns.

Wherever you choose to stay, pay attention to how their airport shuttles work. The further away the hotel is from the airport, the less frequently the shuttle runs. You have to take yourselves and your luggage to the P4 Airtrain station to connect with the hotel shuttles.

You can get a quote from Dial7 and Carmellimo. They quote a base rate and you have to add tolls (most likely $15-17) plus an expected 18-20% on the base rate. My guess is the $120 range.

You can check out what PATH looks like when you get to NYC. The accessible entrance is on the west side of 6th Ave between 32nd and 33rd Sts. You press the button and the elevator comes to take you down to the concourse level. The ticket machines are right there. You take the train to Hoboken. In Hoboken you take the elevator up to the street. Go left into the train area and keep walking past all the commuter trains to the light rail area. Stop and enjoy the view of Manhattan. Buy light rail tickets and take the Bayonne light rail train to 34th St Bayonne. Call a cab.

The access to both PATH and the light rail is a level access with rolling luggage. Outbound to Hoboken and Bayonne is uncrowded after 9 am and you will get seats. You will probably have to wait for a taxi pickup at the 34th St Station.

There are plenty of YouTubes about PATH and the Hudson Bergen Light rail.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

The yelp reviews on all three of these companies are TERRIBLE . Is there a reputable taxi / limo company in the area?

The yelp reviews on all three of these companies are TERRIBLE . Is there a reputable taxi / limo company in the area?

Are you just going between the light rail station and the port? If so, you really don't have a lot of choices. It's a short trip (you can see the ship from the light rail area). Pretty much all the licensed livery cars in Bayonne are involved with the taxi dispatching from the port. If you're unhappy with the choice of cab companies, you're going to have to use Uber or Lyft.

I've had a wide variety of transportation to and from the light rail station. One time I really lucked out and I got a guy with a nice town car. Last time I used a shared Uber and got a side trip to see the shopping mall and the unlicensed storage facility lot parking, so that was worth it for me, but I think it would really annoy others.

Yelp reviews are opinions. And MANY Yelpers post only negative reviews. So, take your chances, it's 2 miles or so, MAYBE 10 minutes if you have to wait at lights. You're not hiring a limo for a night on the town, you're getting a fast ride down the road to the pier. It'll be OK.

Are you just going between the light rail station and the port? If so, you really don't have a lot of choices. It's a short trip (you can see the ship from the light rail area). Pretty much all the licensed livery cars in Bayonne are involved with the taxi dispatching from the port. If you're unhappy with the choice of cab companies, you're going to have to use Uber or Lyft.

I've had a wide variety of transportation to and from the light rail station. One time I really lucked out and I got a guy with a nice town car. Last time I used a shared Uber and got a side trip to see the shopping mall and the unlicensed storage facility lot parking, so that was worth it for me, but I think it would really annoy others.

Not concerned with the light rail station. I’m looking for reputable, reliable transportation to EWR.

Not concerned with the light rail station. I’m looking for reputable, reliable transportation to EWR.

You're going from Cape Liberty to EWR post cruise? Typically we recommend Dial7 or Carmellimo.

Could you check your arrival date? It appears that Adventure arrives on Friday, Sep 28.

Unfortunately Adventure will not be sailing from Cape Liberty until May, so she has no track record for CL arrivals yet. On a Friday morning I wouldn't want to be rushing off the ship before 8:30 am for a 9-9:30 pickup. There's no point to getting involved in the height of the morning rush hour to get into NYC. Check back in 2 months to see how Adventure disembarkations are doing on a Friday morning.

I’m following up on recommended departure times now that Adventure of the Seas has settled into her new port. You were correct that Adventure arrives in Bayonne Friday September 28.

I’ve requested a 9 am disembarkation time from Royal and booked Dial7 for a 10 am pick-up. Does this sound doable to retrieve luggage and go through Customs/Immigration or would you suggest different times?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reputable, by whose benchmark ? since there are no official or established criteria, unlike airline's rankings ... ditto, for reliable transportation to/from EWR. Not so easy nor simple to quantify reputation & reliability when it comes to ground travel, except for trains & buses on a scheduled basis. No official, universal standards in place to easily established, track and report reliability in terms of what ?? ... pickup time, or other metrics ?

Carmel & Dial 7 are well-established car services based in NYC but they are recognized in a much wider circle, serving the surrounding tri-state area, with a large fleet (hundreds) of assorted vehicles - recommended & use by members of Flyerstalk and Cruise Critic community, with very few - if any, negative feedback as a whole. They have "jobs" picking up/dropping off passengers going to and coming from area airports, including EWR and, ... AFAIK, have their own private off-site "holding" lots nearby for their fleet - servicing and refueling & dispatch on demand.

Posts above are the good faith recommendations put forth here by many of us, the consensus being that Dial7 and Carmel are trust-worthy & can be counted upon ... Feel free to ignore the advice & opinion given herein and do your own diligence & research, on Yelp or other social media, etc.

Have a great day & best wishes for safe travel.

Edited by mking8288

Yes, I’ve seen that. But they are both NYC based. Surely someone has experience with a Jersey company.

I think that mking8288 has explained very well why Dial7 and Carmellimo are recommended regularly on this board. They have a large livery fleet to support their NY metro services and are used regularly by Cape Liberty cruisers for travel to and from all the NY airports as well as Manhattan hotel destinations.

I’m following up on recommended departure times now that Adventure of the Seas has settled into her new port. You were correct that Adventure arrives in Bayonne Friday September 28.

I’ve requested a 9 am disembarkation time from Royal and booked Dial7 for a 10 am pick-up. Does this sound doable to retrieve luggage and go through Customs/Immigration or would you suggest different times?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That should be fine.

Reputable, by whose benchmark ? since there are no official or established criteria, unlike airline's rankings ... ditto, for reliable transportation to/from EWR. Not so easy nor simple to quantify reputation & reliability when it comes to ground travel, except for trains & buses on a scheduled basis. No official, universal standards in place to easily established, track and report reliability in terms of what ?? ... pickup time, or other metrics ?

Carmel & Dial 7 are well-established car services based in NYC but they are recognized in a much wider circle, serving the surrounding tri-state area, with a large fleet (hundreds) of assorted vehicles - recommended & use by members of Flyerstalk and Cruise Critic community, with very few - if any, negative feedback as a whole. They have "jobs" picking up/dropping off passengers going to and coming from area airports, including EWR and, ... AFAIK, have their own private off-site "holding" lots nearby for their fleet - servicing and refueling & dispatch on demand.

Posts above are the good faith recommendations put forth here by many of us, the consensus being that Dial7 and Carmel are trust-worthy & can be counted upon ... Feel free to ignore the advice & opinion given herein and do your own diligence & research, on Yelp or other social media, etc.

Have a great day & best wishes for safe travel.

Wow, I didn’t realize that I had sinned so greviously by asking for alternatives to the "expert advice" that is handed down from the "gurus" of this board. Shall I grovel at your feet and beg forgiveness?

Isn’t the purpose of any forum the free exchange of ideas and opinions? There seems to be a few folks with 5000, 10,000, 20,000+ posts who dispense the majority of information on this particular forum. For many who are not familiar with the New York metropolitan area, I’m sure your efforts are appreciated. Nevertheless that does not give you the right to stifle the exchange of ideas and opinions by others.

Oh, and BTW, I grew up in Jersey City, I still live in the NY/NJ area, and I am a very seasoned business and leisure traveler, so I don’t need your condescending attitude. I was merely asking if anyone on this forum had experience with a local Bayonne/JC limo service.

Have a nice day.

Driving in from Ohio on July 21, any traffic warnings/heads-up/advice coming in on a Saturday?

TIA

I see you're sailing on July 21. Are you driving all the way from Ohio the same day? What route are you taking?

I see you're sailing on July 21. Are you driving all the way from Ohio the same day? What route are you taking?

Will leave early Saturday AM, about a 7 hour drive. Taking 80 all the way across PA to 287 then 24 to 78

Will leave early Saturday AM, about a 7 hour drive. Taking 80 all the way across PA to 287 then 24 to 78

Quite frankly that leaves you no wiggle room at all for any kind of travel interruption. You have to be on board by 2:30 pm. It's only a 5 day cruise and if you miss the ship, at least half the cruise is gone. Any chance you can hit the road Friday night and stay in an inexpensive hotel along I80? Look at lastminutetravel.com (join to get better rates) for Parsipanny, NJ. I'm seeing multiple offers for under $100.

Quite frankly that leaves you no wiggle room at all for any kind of travel interruption. You have to be on board by 2:30 pm. It's only a 5 day cruise and if you miss the ship, at least half the cruise is gone. Any chance you can hit the road Friday night and stay in an inexpensive hotel along I80? Look at lastminutetravel.com (join to get better rates) for Parsipanny, NJ. I'm seeing multiple offers for under $100.

Could, but don't really want to. Have driven to B-More a couple times & this is only an hour longer.

Talked with The Bride and we are going to leave Friday after work. So how will traffic be on Saturday AM and is the new exit/route clearly marked? I think my Garmin has the new exit but just in case it doesn’t I want a backup plan. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums