CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:30 AM, Got2Cruise said:

Hi lois. The 9/11 Museum is in the Financial District (Wall Street) area. It is far from theater district. But it’s easy to get a taxi, Uber or subway or even MTA bus between the two areas. Personally I don’t think the Michaelangelo is in an ideal location for what you want to do. Depending on which show you choose you might have a bit of a walk to the theater. Have you looked at the Lotte Palace? They’re having a special Black Friday sale. 

Hi, I thought Carol posted this..I was mistaken earlier (sorry).  I only want to do 2 things really. Seeing a show in the evening and during the day, Ground Zero and the Museum.  My flight arrives at 1:30pm.

I looked at the Lotte Palace website and unless I am reading it wrong, the dates I need are not on the Black Friday Special.

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I thought Carol posted this..I was mistaken earlier (sorry).  I only want to do 2 things really. Seeing a show in the evening and during the day, Ground Zero and the Museum.  My flight arrives at 1:30pm.

I looked at the Lotte Palace website and unless I am reading it wrong, the dates I need are not on the Black Friday Special.

Lois - My advice is to focus first on accomplishing your objectives within the time frame you have available and then choosing a hotel.  I did something similar last Jan - train from Boston to NY Penn Station arriving around 3 pm, walk to hotel at 32nd & 6th, check in, R subway to Cortlandt St, visit just the 911 Memorial (not the museum), go up the Freedom Tower, and R subway back to Times Square for an 8 pm Broadway show and R subway one stop back to the hotel.  The timing was a bit tight.

First question is whether you would take the subway to accomplish your objectives.  Taking cabs between midtown and downtown can be very time consuming. I found the subway to be very busy after the Broadway show. 

Hi Carol, good morning...….after thinking about this overnight, I am not going to try and rush to do anything during the afternoon. It seems more stressful than it is worth (to me anyway)   Someone on another thread recommended Park Lane on Central Park South. Do you know it? Place looks lovely.....I may book a room there and not worry about anything except going to a show that evening.:classic_smile:

Again, once I arrive, I just don't want to have to "rush to get here and hurry to get there"...…..

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Carol, good morning...….after thinking about this overnight, I am not going to try and rush to do anything during the afternoon. It seems more stressful than it is worth (to me anyway)   Someone on another thread recommended Park Lane on Central Park South. Do you know it? Place looks lovely.....I may book a room there and not worry about anything except going to a show that evening.:classic_smile:

Again, once I arrive, I just don't want to have to "rush to get here and hurry to get there"...…..

The 911 Memorial Museum opens at 9 am.  From the Park Lane it would be possible to take the R train to Rector St the morning of your cruise, spend 1.5-2 hours, return to your hotel and get to your ship between 12 and 1 pm.

1 hour ago, 138east said:

The 911 Memorial Museum opens at 9 am.  From the Park Lane it would be possible to take the R train to Rector St the morning of your cruise, spend 1.5-2 hours, return to your hotel and get to your ship between 12 and 1 pm.

Ohhh...thanks for that suggestion!...…...I never thought about going the morning of the cruise.  Not a bad idea!

6 hours ago, ericosmith said:

Just make sure you buy your tickets in advance.

You can't just walk up to the Museum?...….So, you buy them on line like a concert/football ticket? How far in advance? Is there always a line to get in?

17 hours ago, Lois R said:

You can't just walk up to the Museum?...….So, you buy them on line like a concert/football ticket? How far in advance? Is there always a line to get in?

I don't know about always, but we were there on a Saturday in early October and the ticket line was huge (I mean 100s of people).   With advance tickets we walked right in, even prior to the time on the tickets.  You buy them online here...

https://www.911memorial.org/visit-museum-1

Lois, if you plan to go to the Museum the morning of your cruise, I just suggest you keep in mind two things.  First, the Museum could take up all day, so you will need to keep your short time limit in mind and go through the museum accordingly.  Secondly, we found (as have many others) the Museum to be quite an emotional experience, although if you go through it as quickly as you plan, perhaps it won't be as emotional.  But keep in mind the potential emotional draining if you are going the morning of your cruise. 

We went to the Memorial (garden) on a separate day first, and we didn't find it had the emotional impact of the museum.  Plus you can easily go through that in an hour or so.  So you might consider just going to that the morning of your cruise.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:14 PM, montgomeryfamily said:

Lois, if you plan to go to the Museum the morning of your cruise, I just suggest you keep in mind two things.  First, the Museum could take up all day, 

Also keep in mind when you are leaving, On my cruise the ship leaves at 3:00 p.m. so you need to be a the port no later than 1:30 p.m., for me that would be cutting it way too short, and I would not be able to enjoy myself.

Could really use input. Have tried reading a ton but want to make sure we do this right! Will have a rental car for several days prior to 12/21 sailing on Anthem. Need to return rental car on morning of sailing and my choices are either to return to EWR or return to the Enterprise in Bayonne. (1347 Kennedy Blvd). The Enterprise rental return to Bayonne would cost $125 MORE than returning the car to EWR. There are 4 adults and 4 large suitcases. Am I correct in believing it'd be less to return rental car to EWR and then the 4 of us uber/lyft over to the Anthem?

Also, upon disembarking on 12/29.... 3 adults with 3 suitcases need to get back to EWR to catch late afternoon flights. 1 adult with 1 suitcase needs to get back to NYC Penn Station. Am I correct in thinking the 4 of us can all go back to EWR via uber/lyft and then the 1 NYC Penn station bound lady can easily connect to a train from EWR to NYC Penn Station? She's not savvy on the transferring between EWR and New York but if we have decent directions, I'm sure she could handle.

Thank you in advance!

5 hours ago, cotomom said:

Also, upon disembarking on 12/29.... 3 adults with 3 suitcases need to get back to EWR to catch late afternoon flights. 1 adult with 1 suitcase needs to get back to NYC Penn Station. Am I correct in thinking the 4 of us can all go back to EWR via uber/lyft and then the 1 NYC Penn station bound lady can easily connect to a train from EWR to NYC Penn Station? She's not savvy on the transferring between EWR and New York but if we have decent directions, I'm sure she could handle.

Thank you in advance!

What is the ultimate destination of the lady who needs to go to NY Penn Station?  At EWR all you have to do is to take the elevator or escalator up to the free Airtrain, ride to the Train station, buy a $13 ticket to go to NY Penn Station, and take the next NJ Transit train to NY Penn.

https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

6 hours ago, cotomom said:

Her ultimate destination is the Hilton Fashion District on 26th/7th.

That's no problem.  I thought she might be taking another train from NY Penn.  all she has to do is to exit out to 31st Street, walk east a block to 7th Ave, and walk 5 blocks South to 26th St.  Of course a taxi is also an option, but the street route is roundabout because of the one way streets. 

On 11/25/2018 at 12:45 PM, nonnie&dgd said:

Any updates on debarkation room to wait in for transportation? Going in February. 

I haven't heard anything.  In this case no news is bad news.  For the winter RCL really needs to provide a post cruise waiting area that is sheltered from the elements.  It will be a HUGH dissatisfier if any disembarkations happen in super cold weather or a snowstorm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 138east said:

I haven't heard anything.  In this case no news is bad news.  For the winter RCL really needs to provide a post cruise waiting area that is sheltered from the elements.  It will be a HUGH dissatisfier if any disembarkations happen in super cold weather or a snowstorm.

Carol, I will be on Anthem in late January, along with some mutual friends. If you remind me I'll comment on what I see in this regard. I will, however, be driving as I am visiting Pittsburgh the week before, so I hope to be able to check it out when we board, In which case I can answer then.

3 hours ago, MedicKenK said:

Carol, I will be on Anthem in late January, along with some mutual friends. If you remind me I'll comment on what I see in this regard. I will, however, be driving as I am visiting Pittsburgh the week before, so I hope to be able to check it out when we board, In which case I can answer then.

Thanks so much. I would really appreciate that. 

Hi Carol, hope you are doing well. I booked a room at The BEEKMAN.  It looks lovely and is walkable to the 9/11 Museum. It was recommended by someone I trust and looking forward to my stay.  I will be glad to post about my experience when I get back. (The cruise is in April).  I also booked my ticket to see "BEAUTIFUL":classic_biggrin:...…..should be a fun evening!!!

I got my 9/11 Museum ticket too and will go the morning of the cruise as I took a 9:30am time slot.

Thanks again for always helping everyone.:classic_smile:

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:22 PM, ericosmith said:

I don't know about always, but we were there on a Saturday in early October and the ticket line was huge (I mean 100s of people).   With advance tickets we walked right in, even prior to the time on the tickets.  You buy them online here...

https://www.911memorial.org/visit-museum-1

I decided to buy my ticket this weekend and am good to go. Thank you for the link.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, clochette said:

Also keep in mind when you are leaving, On my cruise the ship leaves at 3:00 p.m. so you need to be a the port no later than 1:30 p.m., for me that would be cutting it way too short, and I would not be able to enjoy myself.

The website says it takes about 2 hours......I will be fine, thanks:classic_smile:....I have a 9:30am time slot.