CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

1 hour ago, Grammy J said:

Hi there! Eight of us are flying into EWR in October for an Anthem cruise (10-10). We will need transportation from the airport to the hotel and transportation from the hotel to Cape Liberty Pier. We are planning on coming in three days before the cruise (10-7). What are your thought on staying at the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, NJ?  We want to take tours from the hotel. Is is possible to book tours from the hotel. Not all of us will want the same tours. Suggestions and ideas welcome!  We are ready to make hotel reservations and any and all help is appreciated! Totally new to east coast cruising. 138East has had some great posts. Cheers, Jan and friends 

East Coast cruising can be very different.  New York is a DIY planning process.

As a hotel Embassy Suites is just fine (free airport shuttle), but ......

1) A variety of tours are not typically offered from hotels either in NJ or NYC.

2) It can take 1+ hours to get from Embassy Suites to Manhattan on public transit for $11.25-$13/pp each way via shuttle, Airtrain, and NJ Transit train or train and PATH.

What is your hotel budget per night?  How many people/room?  Bed size requirements?  What are the different places that your group wants to see?

My initial recommendation would be the Newark Penn Station Hilton because of the free airport shuttle and direct access to NJ Transit and/or PATH for $5.25 or $2.75 into NYC.

Thanks for the quick response! Does the Hilton offer a shuttle to the port?  Really like the access to transportation. We are 4 couples and would want our own rooms. We all would need queen/king size beds. Budget is flexible, nothing too extreme. We need recommendations for the site seeing portion of our visit. Boy, do I sound needy, LOL. All of us are doing some research, but recommendations are gladly appreciated. We will have two full days to explore. Thanks in advance for all your help!!

1 hour ago, Grammy J said:

Thanks for the quick response! Does the Hilton offer a shuttle to the port?  Really like the access to transportation. We are 4 couples and would want our own rooms. We all would need queen/king size beds. Budget is flexible, nothing too extreme. We need recommendations for the site seeing portion of our visit. Boy, do I sound needy, LOL. All of us are doing some research, but recommendations are gladly appreciated. We will have two full days to explore. Thanks in advance for all your help!!

Here’s the big picture - https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

NJ Transit - Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station - https://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

PATH - http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

NY subway - http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Newark Penn Station is a major transportation hub.  It is a highly urban area.

Identify what you want to see and group your destinations by midtown or downtown. Some venues should be prebooked like the Statue of Liberty crown access tickets and 911 museum tickets.  Post back with questions.

3 hours ago, Grammy J said:

No, they don't have a shuttle to the port. You can take  a taxi, car service, or Uber.

A very limited number of EWR hotels offer a port shuttle for $17.50-20.00/pp each way plus some fly/cruise packages which charge similar rates bundled into their offerings.  Uber has become a popular way to get around the whole Newark area.

I've read through some of this, but didn't go to far back because I figured things probably changed in the 3+ years of this thread. This will be my first time cruising out of Cape Liberty and am confused with all of the different things I've read, so hopefully it can be cleared up here (and hopefully in a good way:classic_smile:).

We are driving in from the Philadelphia Pa area, google maps says it's a 3 hour drive. Now's where the problem starts.

I've read reports saying the roads are so bad getting into the port it took 3 hours once at the entrance to the port area. Can that be anywhere close to true?

I've also read reports that roads are so hard to navigate it is almost impossible to find the right area to get to for the cruise ships. I've been to many different ports and there always seems to be good signage so I'm finding this hard to believe and especially with today navigation systems. Any help squelching my fears on this would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, I'm assuming there is parking available (for a fee) at the port but have seen various information that says $20 per day to no parking available for miles. I have never seen a cruise port without parking available, but just want to confirm. I did see there are hotels 10 to 20 miles away that have a stay and park free for flying or cruising, with a $35 per person fee to get you to the port, but with the room charge and the roundtrip shuttle fee, $20 per day will be cheaper.

Sorry for the long note, but just trying to get answers as it seems there are a lot of varying information out there and this forum has generally always given me good, reliable information in the past. Thanks in advance for your help and responses!!

Cape Liberty is the port we usually set sail from.  Following Google Maps to the dock is easy enough.  Roads right before the dock entrance can get rough - seems like permanent construction.  But doesn't take any extra time. They have ship signs (directional arrows) up all along the route as you approach the dock itself.   Parking is easy and right next to the ship.  Sorry, I can't remember costs.  We really like this port.

40 minutes ago, cruisedirectorakaMOM said:

Cape Liberty is the port we usually set sail from.  Following Google Maps to the dock is easy enough.  Roads right before the dock entrance can get rough - seems like permanent construction.  But doesn't take any extra time. They have ship signs (directional arrows) up all along the route as you approach the dock itself.   Parking is easy and right next to the ship.  Sorry, I can't remember costs.  We really like this port.

Great, thank you!! I feel a lot better now. Couldn't imagine it was as some reports indicated.

What date are you sailing?  A lot depends on the day of the week and the time you do your trip.  The construction is pretty much complete at exit 14A, so the reports of traffic issues have declined substantially.  Look at the map.  The current advice is to follow the signs to Chosin Few Way to bypass the route 440 and Avenue E approaches to the port. Chosin Few Way deadends at Goldsboro Drive where you make a left to go out to the ship.  At that point you can’t get lost.  You can see the ship and you just follow the line of cars.  Parking is $20/day in the garage or open lot.  No worries about a space.  This past summer there were 3 ships sailing from CL and no one complained about not being able to park.  When only 1 ship is sailing there is almost always garage parking.

1 hour ago, djandnic said:

Thanks. Our cruise is Saturday September 7 to Thursday September 12 of 2019.

Traffic should be less of an issue on a Saturday morning.  With all the folks disembarking Anthem, you have a better chance of getting a garage space if you leave home early.  Try to get to the port between 10-10:30 for Anthem.  She usually boards early and quickly.  It’s a short cruise, so make the most of your first day.  North Star is usually running.  Bumper Cars start at noon.  Pools will be open.  Reservation slots held for on board booking will still be available.

• Like 1

Is there any hotels nearby that have free parking? We plans to arrive the night before. We're looking for something just for the night. Also if there is any shuttles to port? Its 176$ for our 8 days, so if its running more expensive, we're gonna drive the same day! Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, inlinesick said:

Is there any hotels nearby that have free parking? We plans to arrive the night before. We're looking for something just for the night. Also if there is any shuttles to port? Its 176$ for our 8 days, so if its running more expensive, we're gonna drive the same day! Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, inlinesick said:

Our cruise is leaving in 16 days, if that matter??!!

Parking at the port is $20 USD/day tax included so that’s $160 USD for your cruise.

Park/sleep/cruise for 4 people is $241 USD tax included through trinityreservations.com at the Ramada Plaza with parking and round trip port transportation but no breakfast.  2 double beds.

On lastminutetravel.com Country Inns is $82 USD plus tax for 2 queen beds and free breakfast plus $15 parking for 1 night.  I have booked through this site before for a last minute room and it was fine.  Several years ago I was doing a 3 day cruise in March and was going to drive down the morning of the cruise, but ended up booking a last minute room and coming down the day before because it snowed.

It’s the winter.  Come down the day before. Don’t risk missing the ship. Next port is 3 days away!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 138east said:

Parking at the port is $20 USD/day tax included so that’s $160 USD for your cruise.

Park/sleep/cruise for 4 people is $241 USD tax included through trinityreservations.com at the Ramada Plaza with parking and round trip port transportation but no breakfast.  2 double beds.

On lastminutetravel.com Country Inns is $82 USD plus tax for 2 queen beds and free breakfast plus $15 parking for 1 night.  I have booked through this site before for a last minute room and it was fine.  Several years ago I was doing a 3 day cruise in March and was going to drive down the morning of the cruise, but ended up booking a last minute room and coming down the day before because it snowed.

It’s the winter.  Come down the day before. Don’t risk missing the ship. Next port is 3 days away!

Nothing in that area with free parking?? We could take uber back and forth to the ship. 2 queens beds will work for the night.

1 hour ago, inlinesick said:

Nothing in that area with free parking?? We could take uber back and forth to the ship. 2 queens beds will work for the night.

Ugh!  I lost my whole answer to you.

Bottom line - no free parking. $15-20 is a bargain to park.  These hotels are 9-11 mikes from the port.  Uber can run $30-50 each way depending on how big a car you need for 4 people and luggage.

Country Inns is cancellable until Jan 14.

19 hours ago, 138east said:

Traffic should be less of an issue on a Saturday morning.  With all the folks disembarking Anthem, you have a better chance of getting a garage space if you leave home early.  Try to get to the port between 10-10:30 for Anthem.  She usually boards early and quickly.  It’s a short cruise, so make the most of your first day.  North Star is usually running.  Bumper Cars start at noon.  Pools will be open.  Reservation slots held for on board booking will still be available.

Thanks for the response. I'm sure we'll be leaving early since this will be our first time actually driving to a port versus flying in a day or more before. I'm thinking we'll leave by 05:00am for the 2.5 or 3 hour trip and stop for breakfast along the way. Thanks again for all your help and responses!

12 hours ago, inlinesick said:

No. It's too close to Newark Airport for anyone to offer free parking. The best you can do is a park and sail/fly package, and you end up paying for parking as part of the rate anyway. Also, are there any hotels that will actually let you park for a week for free with a normal room rate for one night?

Edited by MisterBill99

31 minutes ago, inlinesick said:

We got a park/fly/cruise 7 days with one night a doubletree hilton newark! 160$ with afree shuttle to the port! Sounds pretty good to me!!

That’s a great deal!  Thanks for posting - it’s a new offering now that the Doubletree remodel is finished.  Please come back and tell us about your experience so we can tell others about it.

3 hours ago, inlinesick said:

We got a park/fly/cruise 7 days with one night a doubletree hilton newark! 160$ with afree shuttle to the port! Sounds pretty good to me!!

Who did you book thru? The hotel directly? I found a good rate ($112 plus tax) but the page says the shuttle is $30 per person.

Shuttle Transfers

Cape Liberty Cruise Port
Transfer Times: 24 Hours
Distance: 7 miles 
Time: 15 minutes
Cost to Port: $30.00 Per Person

Edited by MisterBill99

5 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Who did you book thru? The hotel directly? I found a good rate ($112 plus tax) but the page says the shuttle is $30 per person.

Shuttle Transfers

Cape Liberty Cruise Port
Transfer Times: 24 Hours
Distance: 7 miles 
Time: 15 minutes
Cost to Port: $30.00 Per Person

I think you found the Buyreservations.com offer.

I found a mention on the Hilton Web site about a park and cruise package, but it was vague with no real details about the shuttle.  If the OP didn’t speak directly to the hotel, I’d advise calling to confirm the details.

The web site says this:

Offer is subject to availability at participating properties in the Hilton Portfolio of Brands in the Americas. Rates are valid for single/double occupancy and exclusive of all taxes, incidental charges, gratuities and resort fees where applicable. Blackout dates, deposit and cancellation restrictions may apply and vary by hotel. This offer may not be combined with any other discounts or offers. Parking is valid for up to one (1) passenger vehicle per room up to seven days. Additional fees may apply after seven days; Guests should confirm with hotel upon booking. Complimentary shuttle service to/from airport and/or cruise port when applicable per registered Guest, per room, per stay upon availability. Guests should confirm shuttle schedule with hotel. Additional restrictions may apply. If you are making this reservation by phone, please call our Internet Customer Center at +1 800 Hilton Honors and request Plan Code PGO or RPPGO1 or the "Park, Stay & Go Package." Click here to view a complete list of Hilton Honors Reservations phone numbers. Hilton Honors™ membership, including the earning and redemption of Points, is subject to Hilton Honors Terms & Conditions.

Edited by 138east