CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:14 PM, montgomeryfamily said:

Lois, if you plan to go to the Museum the morning of your cruise, I just suggest you keep in mind two things.  First, the Museum could take up all day, so you will need to keep your short time limit in mind and go through the museum accordingly.  Secondly, we found (as have many others) the Museum to be quite an emotional experience, although if you go through it as quickly as you plan, perhaps it won't be as emotional.  But keep in mind the potential emotional draining if you are going the morning of your cruise. 

We went to the Memorial (garden) on a separate day first, and we didn't find it had the emotional impact of the museum.  Plus you can easily go through that in an hour or so.  So you might consider just going to that the morning of your cruise.

Good morning, thank you for your thoughts:classic_smile: I read the website several times....they say it can take about 2 hours and so if it takes me 3, that is ok too. But you are saying all day? You mean like 6-7 hours?  Maybe if you are going very slowly and that is how a person chooses to go through?  I have a 9:30am time slot and will plan accordingly.....I probably would not stay all day even I didn't have a cruise.

As for emotional experiences, I am sure it will be, as was everything that happened on that horrible day in our history.

Thanks again for the input.

31 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Carol, hope you are doing well. I booked a room at The BEEKMAN.  It looks lovely and is walkable to the 9/11 Museum. It was recommended by someone I trust and looking forward to my stay.  I will be glad to post about my experience when I get back. (The cruise is in April).  I also booked my ticket to see "BEAUTIFUL":classic_biggrin:...…..should be a fun evening!!!

I got my 9/11 Museum ticket too and will go the morning of the cruise as I took a 9:30am time slot.

Thanks again for always helping everyone.:classic_smile:

Sounds like you have a plan.  Have a great time and do report back on your experience.

2 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Just an FYI Celebrity is apparently not doing Bermuda in the summer of 2020, they are doing mostly New England Cruises.   A day or two in Bermuda.  

Actually there are some cruises going to Bermuda and more cruises going to New England.  They have also added going to Charleston and also in one cruise, Greenland, Iceland and ending in Dublin.  Real mixed bag. 

We will be sailing on Anthem on May 23, 2019. I am in the process of trying to choose a hotel. We will be driving from western NC. I found a listing for a new hotel that has yet to be completed: Home2Suites by Hilton Newark Airport 620 Route 1 and 9 South Newark New Jersey 07114 . Can anyone comment on this area and whether this would be a good choice? We recently stayed at another Home2Suites and found it to be a very nice mid-price hotel and for our dates the cost for a refundable room would be $148+ tax for a 2 queen room which seems lower than average for the area. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you

50 minutes ago, Woodmnky said:

We will be sailing on Anthem on May 23, 2019. I am in the process of trying to choose a hotel. We will be driving from western NC. I found a listing for a new hotel that has yet to be completed: Home2Suites by Hilton Newark Airport 620 Route 1 and 9 South Newark New Jersey 07114 . Can anyone comment on this area and whether this would be a good choice? We recently stayed at another Home2Suites and found it to be a very nice mid-price hotel and for our dates the cost for a refundable room would be $148+ tax for a 2 queen room which seems lower than average for the area. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you

It is a new hotel opening in Jan 2019.  IMO they are offering an excellent weekday night rate because they are new.  They are also offering 2 Queens which can be hard to find at EWR.  It's on routes 1&9 - not optimal, but just fine for a brand new hotel.  Newark Airport is not a vacation destination - its hotels are typically isolated with no nearby restaurants and services.  Many hotels have no on premises restaurants.  It looks like Home2Suites offers free breakfast only.

Are you booking directly?  You can get lower refundable rates if you join Hilton Honors or are AAA members.  Parking is an extra $10.

2 minutes ago, 138east said:

It is a new hotel opening in Jan 2019.  IMO they are offering an excellent weekday night rate because they are new.  They are also offering 2 Queens which can be hard to find at EWR.  It's on routes 1&9 - not optimal, but just fine for a brand new hotel.  Newark Airport is not a vacation destination - its hotels are typically isolated with no nearby restaurants and services.  Many hotels have no on premises restaurants.  It looks like Home2Suites offers free breakfast only.

Are you booking directly?  You can get lower refundable rates if you join Hilton Honors or are AAA members.  Parking is an extra $10.

I'm mainly looking for some place to stay and am fine traveling for food as we will be driving. Can we find some dinner options within about 15 mins? Also,  how long of a drive should we expect to get to the port?

On 12/17/2018 at 8:10 PM, Woodmnky said:

I'm mainly looking for some place to stay and am fine traveling for food as we will be driving. Can we find some dinner options within about 15 mins? Also,  how long of a drive should we expect to get to the port?

Others may disagree, but I'm hesitant to recommend that someone  not familiar with the area stay there, although I admit staying at a new hotel at that very  reasonable price is attractive. There's nothing much in the immediate area.  You are on a very busy divided highway in a grimy industrial area across the highway from the airport. The roads and signs are confusing making driving anywhere a challenge. Even I've taken the wrong turn once in a while and I've lived in NY City and its suburbs my entire life and have flown and driven in and out of EWR more times than  can count. 

You may want to look at the hotels located on the opposite side of the airport on International Blvd. in Elizabeth. Perhaps there will be a comparable attractive price at one of them. There are chain restaurants within walking distance and even an outlet mall, The Mills at Jersey Gardens, nearby.

If you want to stay at your originally selected hotel for dinner you could drive to the restaurants  near the  International Blvd hotels and Jersey Gardens. They're probably as close and as easy to get to as anything.

It will depend on traffic, but figure on 20 to 30 minutes drive from your hotel to Cape Liberty. It will take about the same amount of time from the Hotels on International Blvd.

• Like 1

I think that's good advice.  The hotel is in the same complex as the Courtyard Newark, Fairfield Inn, and Springhill Suites.  I've missed turns in that area and it's really annoying. Nothing but a mass of spaghetti like roads.

Where exactly are you coming from in NC?  Some routes bring you in I78 instead of the NJ Turnpike, which is a huge savings in tolls.  Are you experienced in driving a highly urban area like metro NYC?  If not, I would suggest you consider getting off the road (it looks like a 10 hour+ trip) about an hour away in a more suburban area to get a hotel.  After such a long trip, you may not be in the mood to deal with the traffic hassles or getting lost around Newark.  The next morning you can be at the port in less than a hour if you leave after 9 am.

To anyone in the know concerning roads near the Cape Liberty Port.

It has been almost 2 years to the day since our last drive down to the port. 

Just wondering if there have been any major changes since then, as the roads in the area ALWAYS seem to be in a state of flux ??

We will be coming down on Southbound 95 and then over to the port area on 78.  

We updated our Garmin, but would rather have some human feedback.

Edited by boscobeans
correction

3 hours ago, boscobeans said:

To anyone in the know concerning roads near the Cape Liberty Port.

It has been almost 2 years to the day since our last drive down to the port. 

Just wondering if there have been any major changes since then, as the roads in the area ALWAYS seem to be in a state of flux ??

We will be coming down on Southbound 95 and then over to the port area on 78.  

We updated our Garmin, but would rather have some human feedback.

When you get off at exit 14A, you want to follow the signs to Chosin Few Way.  This will deadend at Goldsborough Drive where you make a left to go out to the ship.  It's basically a new bypass ramp that avoids all the hassle of getting on route 440 or Avenue E.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 138east said:

When you get off at exit 14A, you want to follow the signs to Chosin Few Way.  This will deadend at Goldsborough Drive where you make a left to go out to the ship.  It's basically a new bypass ramp that avoids all the hassle of getting on route 440 or Avenue E.

Thanks so much. We have been doing the trip for about 19 years and find it different each year.

As usual you (138east) have the answers

Thanks again

Henry

On 12/19/2018 at 12:26 PM, 138east said:

I think that's good advice.  The hotel is in the same complex as the Courtyard Newark, Fairfield Inn, and Springhill Suites.  I've missed turns in that area and it's really annoying. Nothing but a mass of spaghetti like roads.

Where exactly are you coming from in NC?  Some routes bring you in I78 instead of the NJ Turnpike, which is a huge savings in tolls.  Are you experienced in driving a highly urban area like metro NYC?  If not, I would suggest you consider getting off the road (it looks like a 10 hour+ trip) about an hour away in a more suburban area to get a hotel.  After such a long trip, you may not be in the mood to deal with the traffic hassles or getting lost around Newark.  The next morning you can be at the port in less than a hour if you leave after 9 am.

Thank you both for all the advice. That is very good to know. We are not from highly urban areas. I honestly try to avoid Charlotte and Raleigh most of the time and I know that the NYC metro area is going to be way worse traffic wise. We are planning on coming up through a route that goes through Hershey, PA and takes I-78. It looks to me that that avoids most of the major cities along the route and hopefully much of the tolls. We are still deciding, but we might leave on Tuesday afternoon and stop half way leaving only half the drive for Wednesday. It is important to us to be at the port early as we have a special needs child that does not do well waiting in line. Is it possible to stay in the suburbs, avoid morning rush hour, and still make it to the port before the masses? If not, any suggestions of places to check out. 2 adults/1 child. We need 2 beds, but I'm not picky about the sizes for 1 night. Budget would be up to $250 (although I would certainly like to keep it less than that). Traveling with a special needs child means that easy is the most important factor, so ease of getting food and getting to the port are important. 

You might also want to look at the Courtyard Elizabeth or Country Inns at exit 13A in Elizabeth NJ. These hotels are an easy off/easy on from the Turnpike exit. They are located next to the Jersey Gardens Mall with an IHOP, Ruby Tuesdays, Applebee’s, and Johnny Rockets as well as the Mall food court. Country Inns offers free breakfast. That would put you 10-30 minutes from the port, which is about as close as you can get. 

• Like 1

Coming from Northeast Pennsylvania January 26. Looking at different options. One is to have my brother drive us and pick us up. However, he isn’t always the most reliable. Driving ourselves and paying for parking is always an option. Seriously looking at catching a Martz bus from Scranton to the Port Authority (93 bucks round trip and no driving!) I know I can count on him to drive us the 10 minutes to there so I don’t have to pay to park my Jeep there for the week. What public transit option is the best to get from the PABT to the port? We will be 2 adults and a 9 year old. 

Edited by Froggy1369

4 minutes ago, Froggy1369 said:

Coming from Northeast PennsylvaniaJanuary 26. Looking at different options. One is to have my brother drive us and pick us up. However, he isn’t always the most reliable. Driving ourselves and paying for parking is always an option. Seriously looking at catching a Martz bus from Scranton to the Port Authority (93 bucks round trip and no driving!) I know I can count on him to drive us the 10 minutes to there so I don’t have to pay t9 park my Jeep there for the week. What public transit option is the best to get from there to the port? We will be 2 adults and a 9 year old. 

$93  vs  $140

Taking a bus then cabs vs getting in your car and ready to check in or head home in a few minutes

Time driving  3 hours??? vs  maybe longer and not on your own schedule????

bosco

1 minute ago, boscobeans said:

$93  vs  $140

Taking a bus then cabs vs getting in your car and ready to check in or head home in a few minutes

Time driving  3 hours??? vs  maybe longer and not on your own schedule????

bosco

I've bussed into NYC on Martz many times.  Even the day after that huge storm we had last year that pretty much shut down the Poconos. It is usually my go to for travel to the city unless the bus times just absolutely dont work for my schedule.  But I usually don't leave the city once I get there. Bussing allows me to be able to drink without having to worry about a hangover drive home the next day.  

With this being our first cruise, I dont know how me or hubby will feel when we get off the ship, so I am looking at all my options.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Froggy1369 said:

Coming from Northeast Pennsylvania January 26. Looking at different options. One is to have my brother drive us and pick us up. However, he isn’t always the most reliable. Driving ourselves and paying for parking is always an option. Seriously looking at catching a Martz bus from Scranton to the Port Authority (93 bucks round trip and no driving!) I know I can count on him to drive us the 10 minutes to there so I don’t have to pay to park my Jeep there for the week. What public transit option is the best to get from the PABT to the port? We will be 2 adults and a 9 year old. 

taking the bus to port authority then having to get to cape liberty does not make much sense, if you could get a bus to Newark it would work.  driving to cape liberty from Scranton is really easy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clochette said:

taking the bus to port authority then having to get to cape liberty does not make much sense, if you could get a bus to Newark it would work.  driving to cape liberty from Scranton is really easy.

I agree. Public transit can be done - I do it all the time with carry on luggage - but easily not through Port Authority. If you have a lot of luggage it could be difficult on a bus that doesn’t have undercarriage storage. At some point you will have to pay for an Uber to get into the port. Any savings will be minimal. 

Plan to to drive down and pay the $160 to park at the port. It’s January so you need a plan B in case of snow. Don’t risk missing the ship - come down Fri and pay for a hotel if the weather is bad. 

6 hours ago, clochette said:

It's not a question of being easy. I've driven all over the map.  Jersey is a hop, skip,  and jump compared to driving to Tennessee just to pick up some dogs.   I guess is just a matter of seeing what other options are out there.  

52 minutes ago, Froggy1369 said:

It's not a question of being easy. I've driven all over the map.  Jersey is a hop, skip,  and jump compared to driving to Tennessee just to pick up some dogs.   I guess is just a matter of seeing what other options are out there.  

Where in NE PA are you. Another option would be Transbridge which leaves from LVIA and goes straight to the pier. First 3 days of parking are free and then $5 a day to park. They have their own cheaper parking area at the airport. Tickets do need to be purchased in advance

The Martz bus option is a good backup plan from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre/Stroudsburg areas if needed.  As mentioned getting to Cape Liberty from midtown Manhattan can be a pain.

Check with AAA.  They often run a bus or shuttle to Cape Liberty from the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area.

So for those who always wonder where to get wine before boarding the ship, you should soon have a new answer, assuming you are a Costco member. Costco is opening on March 7th right up the road from the cruise terminal. Here's a map from the grand opening event that somehow popped up on my FB calendar:

https://wego.here.com/directions/mix//Goldsborough-Dr,-Bayonne,-NJ-07002,-United-States,-USA:e-eyJuYW1lIjoiR29sZHNib3JvdWdoIERyLCBCYXlvbm5lLCBOSiAwNzAwMiwgVW5pdGVkIFN0YXRlcyIsImFkZHJlc3MiOiIiLCJsYXRpdHVkZSI6NDAuNjY5MzEsImxvbmdpdHVkZSI6LTc0LjA5ODIyLCJwcm92aWRlck5hbWUiOiJmYWNlYm9vayIsInByb3ZpZGVySWQiOjEwMTU3NDExNzA5MjY5OTQ3fQ==?map=40.66931,-74.09822,15,normal&fb_locale=en_US

If you zoom in, you will see that the terminal is at the end of Goldsborough Drive.

Edited by MisterBill99

Hi there! Eight of us are flying into EWR in October for an Anthem cruise (10-10). We will need transportation from the airport to the hotel and transportation from the hotel to Cape Liberty Pier. We are planning on coming in three days before the cruise (10-7). What are your thought on staying at the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, NJ?  We want to take tours from the hotel. Is is possible to book tours from the hotel. Not all of us will want the same tours. Suggestions and ideas welcome!  We are ready to make hotel reservations and any and all help is appreciated! Totally new to east coast cruising. 138East has had some great posts. Cheers, Jan and friends