CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

We arranged our transportation to the ship as part of our reservation...

I have read several posts but didn't find answer although I'm sure it's been answered many times before.

There are 6 of us flying into EWR the day of our cruise and need to know what is the most timely way of getting to Cape Liberty ? We are hoping not to miss the ship! Thanks!

I have read several posts but didn't find answer although I'm sure it's been answered many times before.

There are 6 of us flying into EWR the day of our cruise and need to know what is the most timely way of getting to Cape Liberty ? We are hoping not to miss the ship! Thanks!

What exact date? What time does your flight arrive?

We arranged our transportation to the ship as part of our reservation...

Could you please provide more info on this. Was the transfer arranged thru Royal or thru your travel agent? Where was the pick up point, at the airport or did you need to have booked one of their hotels the night before to get the transfer. What was the cost per person? How far in advance could you book the transfer, maybe it is not showing up when my TA called because I am a year away from sailing, but I need to know my options before I commit to air fare. I would really like to try the Anthem, but not if the hassle factor of getting to the ship is too high.

I have been researching my options for several days (and last year before I cancelled my Anthem reservation out of frustration with lack of information) and find it very frustrating to figure out. Using trains or buses is not feasible for me. As a solo it is very expensive to get a taxi from EWR to port (I was quoted about $75 by companies mentioned on this thread.)

I am used to Florida ports where the hotels clearly show the stay/park/cruise booking option on their websites, with pricing. There are also many reasonable priced options to get to the port, either shared shuttles or taxis.

For the hotels mentioned on this thread and other sites, either the hotel website doesn't show the availability of a shuttle (whether included or at additional cost), the hotel front desk cannot give me the info when I call, the hotels have terrible reviews or are in isolated or unsafe areas.

I called the Hampton Inn Staten Island and was told the shuttle was only available for those who were parking there the night before. I explained I was flying into Newark, would need a hotel shuttle from the airport, stay the night before the cruise, then the next day would need a shuttle to the port. I don't mind paying for a reasonably priced room package that includes free parking, even without a car, as long as the shuttle was offered. Two different clerks insisted I had to park a car there to get the shuttle, which makes no sense. I can understand they don't want someone using the shuttle who hadn't stayed there, but that was not the case.

I sure hope I can arrange the transfer thru RCI, preferably without requiring also booking a super expensive hotel the night before the cruise. I am considering doing the post cruise Manhattan tour with drop off at EWR.

Thanks for any info.

@franl24fan, I believe I arranged the transfer to ship when I reserved my airfare thru ChoiceAir. We are cruising on Celebrity this time. We only did one way as we are staying on in NJ after the cruise. When we cruised out of Galveston, we flew to Houston; I believe that time the shuttle was arranged as part of the reservation with Carnival and we used it both ways. I cannot recall what happened when we flew to Puerto Rico last year - must not have been memorable!!

Check your reservation details on website; there is usually an option.

Louise

Could you please provide more info on this. Was the transfer arranged thru Royal or thru your travel agent? Where was the pick up point, at the airport or did you need to have booked one of their hotels the night before to get the transfer. What was the cost per person? How far in advance could you book the transfer, maybe it is not showing up when my TA called because I am a year away from sailing, but I need to know my options before I commit to air fare. I would really like to try the Anthem, but not if the hassle factor of getting to the ship is too high.

I have been researching my options for several days (and last year before I cancelled my Anthem reservation out of frustration with lack of information) and find it very frustrating to figure out. Using trains or buses is not feasible for me. As a solo it is very expensive to get a taxi from EWR to port (I was quoted about $75 by companies mentioned on this thread.)

I am used to Florida ports where the hotels clearly show the stay/park/cruise booking option on their websites, with pricing. There are also many reasonable priced options to get to the port, either shared shuttles or taxis.

For the hotels mentioned on this thread and other sites, either the hotel website doesn't show the availability of a shuttle (whether included or at additional cost), the hotel front desk cannot give me the info when I call, the hotels have terrible reviews or are in isolated or unsafe areas.

I called the Hampton Inn Staten Island and was told the shuttle was only available for those who were parking there the night before. I explained I was flying into Newark, would need a hotel shuttle from the airport, stay the night before the cruise, then the next day would need a shuttle to the port. I don't mind paying for a reasonably priced room package that includes free parking, even without a car, as long as the shuttle was offered. Two different clerks insisted I had to park a car there to get the shuttle, which makes no sense. I can understand they don't want someone using the shuttle who hadn't stayed there, but that was not the case.

I sure hope I can arrange the transfer thru RCI, preferably without requiring also booking a super expensive hotel the night before the cruise. I am considering doing the post cruise Manhattan tour with drop off at EWR.

Thanks for any info.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am staying at BW Newark airport. I need to get to Midtown 7th& 51st.on a Sat. morn can you tell me the best transportation .

Thanks...

Take the hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain Station, ride the Airtrain to the Newark Airport train station, and take NJ transit to New York Penn Station. This costs $12.50 each way. At New York Penn Station take the 8th Avenue uptown subway 'E' train only to 7th Ave, which will leave you at 7th and 53rd.

Thanks for any info.

IMO your best option is Country Inns in Elizabeth. Call them directly. They should be able to offer you a transfer for $17.50 one way. Normally they add on $70 to the room rate for two people round trip transfer to get their sleep/cruise rate and I know they have prorated the transfer charge for folks who don't meet the two people round trip mold. If you don't get the answer you want, call back again.

If you decide to do the RCL transfer, what hotels are you considering and what is your budget?

IMO your best option is Country Inns in Elizabeth. Call them directly. They should be able to offer you a transfer for $17.50 one way. Normally they add on $70 to the room rate for two people round trip transfer to get their sleep/cruise rate and I know they have prorated the transfer charge for folks who don't meet the two people round trip mold. If you don't get the answer you want, call back again.

If you decide to do the RCL transfer, what hotels are you considering and what is your budget?

Thanks for the info. I don't have a hotel preference. I'd like to be near restaurants for dinner the night I get in, which seems to be those around the outlet mall area. If a hotel has an airport shuttle, has transfer to the port and is clean and safe, a range of $200-$250 would be acceptable.

I will have to see if the RCI transfer can be bought without having booked the air thru them. From Orlando I can fly SW direct into Newark for less than $100 each way, so I doubt the choiceair would be worthwhile.

I'll look into the Country Inns. Have stayed at those before.

Sure seems as if the hotels up there are missing out on a lot of business by not marketing to folks who fly in for a cruise, or drive in but don't want to fight the port traffic. Many hotels near Port Canaveral have websites with easy to find options for cruisers to fly into Orlando, catch a shared shuttle or bus, stay the night before, then be shuttled over to the port. And the rates are very reasonable.

Thanks for the info. I don't have a hotel preference. I'd like to be near restaurants for dinner the night I get in, which seems to be those around the outlet mall area. If a hotel has an airport shuttle, has transfer to the port and is clean and safe, a range of $200-$250 would be acceptable.

I will have to see if the RCI transfer can be bought without having booked the air thru them. From Orlando I can fly SW direct into Newark for less than $100 each way, so I doubt the choiceair would be worthwhile.

I'll look into the Country Inns. Have stayed at those before.

Sure seems as if the hotels up there are missing out on a lot of business by not marketing to folks who fly in for a cruise, or drive in but don't want to fight the port traffic. Many hotels near Port Canaveral have websites with easy to find options for cruisers to fly into Orlando, catch a shared shuttle or bus, stay the night before, then be shuttled over to the port. And the rates are very reasonable.

Welcome to the NY metro area where cruising is a super small percentage of a hotel's business and the economics just don't support catering to cruisers. Between November and April there are only about 20 Anthem cruises and between May and October about 45 Anthem and Summit cruises. However, Newark Airport is awash in transportation services to take folks all over the NY Metro area on a one off basis. The rates reflect the current prices charged in the area.

I am in absolute shock that no one has opened at hotel in Bayonne. There was interest from Holiday Inn many years ago, but then the Port Authority took over the former Military Ocean Terminal and all of the plans to make it like Baltimore's Inner Harbor fell through.

We have plenty of demand. There are two ships sailing out of Bayonne, might will soon be 3, and we also have a lot of local demand from people who have friends and relatives that want to visit. We're close enough to Newark and NYC that I'm sure the place would always have occupancy.

I would think a hotel would at least offer the cruise shuttle as an enhancement to their marketing plans. I would think anything that would set apart a hotel would be a plus factor. If there is really not that much demand, it would still seem economically feasible for a hotel to offer it either thru their own shuttle or contracted services. But they should at least make sure their websites clearly show the availability, and that the front desk clerks are trained on the details.

In Dania Beach (Ft Lauderdale) a shuttle company is located in the lobby of the hotels, and the hotels websites all specify the park and cruise option. Biggest difference is the length of the free parking, some hotels only do 7 days, some do 21 days. The shuttle is $10/person each way, the room rate is about $30 more than the usual rate, which is worth paying for the free parking. If you are flying in and don't need parking, you just book the usual rate and then buy your shuttle ticket from the company. But Ft Lauderdale has a huge cruise market, as does Port Canaveral.

I guess what is surprising to me is how difficult it is to find options for using something other than a taxi or uber. I wonder why Super Shuttle or some other shared van doesn't offer a transfer from the airport to the port, but they will go to hotels much further away. Has to be something to do with licensing or restrictions by the port itself, which usually translates to someone paid someone for the restriction. That happened at Port Canaveral for a short while, the PC authority voted to not allow offsite parking shuttles to come into the port so the port could collect the $20/day parking for their onsite lot. Lasted a few weeks then there was so much bad publicity and cruisers were contacting the cruise lines in protest, it was reversed. They still put the shuttles at the far end of the pick up zone.

If it weren't for you kind folks on this thread I would still be researching. One thing I notice on the Country Inn and Embassy Suites under the stay/cruise package there is a disclaimer that the shuttle is sign up and first come, which implies I could book that hotel, not get to the sign up sheet early enough and not get on a shuttle. Down here the shuttles run as needed to handle the amount of people who have booked the package, which they know in advance. When the shuttle limits are reached, the package booking option is marked as sold out.

I would think a hotel would at least offer the cruise shuttle as an enhancement to their marketing plans. I would think anything that would set apart a hotel would be a plus factor. If there is really not that much demand, it would still seem economically feasible for a hotel to offer it either thru their own shuttle or contracted services. But they should at least make sure their websites clearly show the availability, and that the front desk clerks are trained on the details.

In Dania Beach (Ft Lauderdale) a shuttle company is located in the lobby of the hotels, and the hotels websites all specify the park and cruise option. Biggest difference is the length of the free parking, some hotels only do 7 days, some do 21 days. The shuttle is $10/person each way, the room rate is about $30 more than the usual rate, which is worth paying for the free parking. If you are flying in and don't need parking, you just book the usual rate and then buy your shuttle ticket from the company. But Ft Lauderdale has a huge cruise market, as does Port Canaveral.

I guess what is surprising to me is how difficult it is to find options for using something other than a taxi or uber. I wonder why Super Shuttle or some other shared van doesn't offer a transfer from the airport to the port, but they will go to hotels much further away. Has to be something to do with licensing or restrictions by the port itself, which usually translates to someone paid someone for the restriction. That happened at Port Canaveral for a short while, the PC authority voted to not allow offsite parking shuttles to come into the port so the port could collect the $20/day parking for their onsite lot. Lasted a few weeks then there was so much bad publicity and cruisers were contacting the cruise lines in protest, it was reversed. They still put the shuttles at the far end of the pick up zone.

If it weren't for you kind folks on this thread I would still be researching. One thing I notice on the Country Inn and Embassy Suites under the stay/cruise package there is a disclaimer that the shuttle is sign up and first come, which implies I could book that hotel, not get to the sign up sheet early enough and not get on a shuttle. Down here the shuttles run as needed to handle the amount of people who have booked the package, which they know in advance. When the shuttle limits are reached, the package booking option is marked as sold out.

Super Shuttle has a bad rep in the NY Metro area. No one booked at Country Inns has ever complained about being excluded from the shuttle. However, I would contact them about a week ahead to see what you can arrange and to met them know there is one extra person. I think the language is to guard against large groups booking and expecting to add on a shuttle at the last minute without booking the sleep/cruise package. When I spoke to folks at CI (I have stayed there several times), they said that about a week ahead they figure out how many people they have for the shuttle and order an appropriate sized vehicle to accommodate those people.

I will contact Country Inn about 6 months out to book the package and see if I can get a reduced rate for only 1 person going one way. If I book with them I will call a week ahead and see if I can get on the list, if not I should be flying in by noon the day before cruise.

Still trying to get definitive answer from Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island as to shuttle. They supposedly operate shuttle for their hotel and also the Hampton Inn that said I had to park a car. I sent an email to the hotel managers of both hotels, and also to Hilton Honors customer service.

I will continue to follow this thread and see if anyone else posts where they have had good experiences with a shuttle. And I will have my TA follow up with RCI as to their transfer availability, may also do a mock booking on Choice Air(or whatever it is called now), but I doubt it will be less than SW. Our sailing date thread has been pretty slow, but perhaps as we get closer there might be folks who would want to share a cab, or pick me up at the airport and I'd pay half the parking.

One of the greatest experiences I've had with cruise critic was the group I had on my Jewel TA a few years back, over a hundred active posters, many had done the route before so they knew who to contact for private tours, which they arranged for us. We ended up with twice the tours for half the price of ship excursions. And we didn't worry about getting back to port on time due to traffic jams etc since we had over 50 Pinnacle level cruisers who had the Captain's direct phone number :-). We had our own buses to transfer from London to Harwich, only glitch there was the bus company sent one with too small of a luggage hold for the number of people's luggage, had to hire a big black cab just to carry the extra baggage to the port, but we all took it in stride, price per person was still less than a third of RCI transfer (that required their expensive hotel stay). I have had many wonderful cruises due to the folks on cruise critic who share their knowledge.

Thanks again Carol for being so helpful. If I come up to Country Inn I'd love to buy you a cold one :-).

Hi everyone, I wanted to report back on my experience with Country Inn in Elizabeth. We arrived about an hour later than we had planned due to a storm and then EWR issued a ground stop so our flight was delayed. We were to arrive at 5pm but didnt get in til about 6ish. Then we got the baggage and went back upstairs (wonky layout at the airport) to catch the airtrain over to P4. Real fast, got there just as the hotel shuttle was leaving..bummer so we had to wait 30 minutes as the free shuttle runs every 30 mins. We had a bit of a scuffle with the shuttle but this was not the hotels fault. We had been waiting about 40 min (the driver had to get gas) when he pulled up he pulled up further down than where we were standing...by the time we got there a group of people who just arrived rushed the shuttle and took all the spots. There was plenty of room for our luggage just not us...the driver said we would have to wait...I said no I have been waiting 40 min and had already called the hotel which is how I found out he was filling the shuttle up. So he looked in and saw people were all spread out...he said we could fit told them they had to move some luggage to the back and if they could sit closer...this one family refused to comply. Claiming they didnt understand English. they had a 4 year old that could have sat on one of the parents lap but they refused to move so i was stuck half on half off the seat for the ride. This is in no way the hotels fault but rude people out there...So anyway due to me hanging off the seat i was the first off the shuttle so i beat them to check in and we got a room upgrade free...ha! I let the hotel staff know we also needed the round trip shuttle for the cruise terminal and then on the way back needed to be at the airport. They said no problem...they had only the 10 am one as they didnt have enough people to do the noon shuttle. They filled out a slip and told me the driver would take one on the way to the dock and then would tell us where to go to be picked up on the return. Price was $70 total for the 2 of us. We went to IHOP for a quick cheap dinner as it was late. While we werent looking for pampering this IHOP leaves much to be desired. The food was good but although there were 8 servers it took a bit to get food and then no follow through and we had to ask for our bill. But NJ did give us a show with an awesome lightning show. Being from CA we dont see lightning like that..it was amazing. Next morning we woke for breakfast at 6am...good stuff, waffles, eggs, bacon, tortillas, breads, danish, mini muffins, mini donuts and juices and coffee. I believe there was also cereal. We went back to the room packed up what we opened and relaxed..came down about 9:30ish and the shuttle was there and said we could board..sweet. We were missing one couple...must not have known 10 meant be there by at least 10...so the shuttle circled over to the other hotel in the lot and picked up some couples there...as he was getting ready to leave...now about 10:30ish suddenly the missing couple was ready..so he swung back around and picked them up. We were at the dock by about 11:30ish, he pointed out where he would be to pick us up and told us to look for either blue, white or black vans and to have the other part of the slip ready to hand in. They would be there when the ship docked and would continue to run constantly until all were picked up. Had a great cruise and then we got off at 8 from the ship, got through customs and walked out to see the same shuttle and driver who dropped us off. There were 2 couples already on board 1 of which was on when we first arrived. The driver said he was just waiting for his back up..about 5 min later the next van pulled up..they tag teamed off and our driver left. Brought us to the airport first...and bonus he dropped us off at the terminal for our flight...I expected to be dropped back off at the P4 stop and have to take the airtrain back to check in for flight. So I was glad we opted for the Country inn and took their shuttle it was soo easy. I would for sure book this hotel and shuttle again if we were to go back and sail out of NJ. The hotel was nice and comfy for the night before or after a cruise....would highly recommend. :D:)

I will contact Country Inn about 6 months out to book the package and see if I can get a reduced rate for only 1 person going one way. If I book with them I will call a week ahead and see if I can get on the list, if not I should be flying in by noon the day before cruise.

Still trying to get definitive answer from Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island as to shuttle. They supposedly operate shuttle for their hotel and also the Hampton Inn that said I had to park a car. I sent an email to the hotel managers of both hotels, and also to Hilton Honors customer service.

I will continue to follow this thread and see if anyone else posts where they have had good experiences with a shuttle. And I will have my TA follow up with RCI as to their transfer availability, may also do a mock booking on Choice Air(or whatever it is called now), but I doubt it will be less than SW. Our sailing date thread has been pretty slow, but perhaps as we get closer there might be folks who would want to share a cab, or pick me up at the airport and I'd pay half the parking.

One of the greatest experiences I've had with cruise critic was the group I had on my Jewel TA a few years back, over a hundred active posters, many had done the route before so they knew who to contact for private tours, which they arranged for us. We ended up with twice the tours for half the price of ship excursions. And we didn't worry about getting back to port on time due to traffic jams etc since we had over 50 Pinnacle level cruisers who had the Captain's direct phone number :-). We had our own buses to transfer from London to Harwich, only glitch there was the bus company sent one with too small of a luggage hold for the number of people's luggage, had to hire a big black cab just to carry the extra baggage to the port, but we all took it in stride, price per person was still less than a third of RCI transfer (that required their expensive hotel stay). I have had many wonderful cruises due to the folks on cruise critic who share their knowledge.

Thanks again Carol for being so helpful. If I come up to Country Inn I'd love to buy you a cold one :-).

Right now I'd think twice about the Staten Island hotels because of the Bayonne Bridge closures which will continue until at least 2018. Look at a map of Newark and Staten Island. Hilton Gardens is on South Avenue just south of I278 and east of route 440. When the Bayonne Bridge is open, you can just go north on route 440, cross the Bayonne Bridge, and continue straight to the port entrance. When the Bayonne Bridge is closed, you have to go west on I278, cross the Goethals Bridge to New Jersey, take the NJ Turnpike north (I95) to exit 14,14A, 14B, 14C where you go east on the turnpike extension (I78) to exit 14A, and then route 440 south to the port. IMO Staten Island is not super convenient to EWR. The Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens are in the middle of a lovely corporate park, but there is no place to go and the only restaurant is in the Hilton Gardens. These hotels have an airport shuttle, but they really can't be considered "airport" hotels.

I have read and read and read this thread but I am still not sure what will be best.

Should we stay at Embassy Suites near EWR or try someting in Jersey City? We have Embassy Suites booked for now because the price was right and the reviews were good but we aren't sure if the location is best.

We fly into EWR and are staying 3 nights pre-cruise (12/30 to 1/2) for our Anthem of the Seas cruise.

It is my husband and I plus our 8 year old.

We want to see NYE in Time Square (I know---don't do it!!!) if it works out.

Even if NYE doesn't work out, we do plan to spend some time in the city at some point during our stay.

We want a clean and comfy hotel as inexpensive as possible.... but not willing to give up cleanliness or safety. So whatever that means... Lol.

We've been on lots of cruises but never from this port.

We've been to NYC a few times before but never with a kid.

Help?

Edited by shonandsuzie

Price was $70 total for the 2 of us.

The price for the sleep/cruise package says the shuttle is included. Was there a reason you still had to pay what appears to be $17.50/person each way??

Nice to know info on Staten Island, there is nothing mentioned on either hotel website. I will eliminate them from consideration.

I found a website for a company called Trinity Reservations that offers shuttles for a few of the airport hotels (BW and Ramada), you book the hotel thru them rather than direct. They have just announced that starting in Oct there will be packages for sleep/cruise, without extra price for parking. I ran them thru Better Business and Yelp, no negative reviews that I can find.

Price was $70 total for the 2 of us.

The price for the sleep/cruise package says the shuttle is included. Was there a reason you still had to pay what appears to be $17.50/person each way??

Nice to know info on Staten Island, there is nothing mentioned on either hotel website. I will eliminate them from consideration.

I found a website for a company called Trinity Reservations that offers shuttles for a few of the airport hotels (BW and Ramada), you book the hotel thru them rather than direct. They have just announced that starting in Oct there will be packages for sleep/cruise, without extra price for parking. I ran them thru Better Business and Yelp, no negative reviews that I can find.

I love Trinity reservations! I can't find their announcement about sleep/cruise packages. They are currently using the Ramada and Springhill Suites. The hotels are fine, but there are no off property dining or shopping options. The Ramada is a full service hotel. Springhill Suites offers free breakfast but has no restaurant. You have to walk over to the Courtyard to eat or order take out.

I love Trinity reservations! I can't find their announcement about sleep/cruise packages. They are currently using the Ramada and Springhill Suites. The hotels are fine, but there are no off property dining or shopping options. The Ramada is a full service hotel. Springhill Suites offers free breakfast but has no restaurant. You have to walk over to the Courtyard to eat or order take out.

Here is the website

http://trinityreservations.com/index.php

not sure if the new option will apply to all of the airports they handle, but the pricing for the BW, Ramada and Springhill Suites at Newark are all pretty decent. Not too worried about food, I can either get something before I leave the airport or walk over to the courtyard. My concern is that they seem to be a 3rd party agent like some of the hotel booking sites and concern about the hotels honoring the booking. I have googled for reviews and so far haven't found anything.

We didnt book the pkg. I booked just the room as we were going to do just the one way or perhaps a local car and the ship transfer back... but i booked a flight 1 hour earlier than celebrity allowed so i went back to the hotel and got the transfer after the fact. we paid a total of $254 for room, taxes and shuttle.

I have read and read and read this thread but I am still not sure what will be best.

Should we stay at Embassy Suites near EWR or try someting in Jersey City? We have Embassy Suites booked for now because the price was right and the reviews were good but we aren't sure if the location is best.

We fly into EWR and are staying 3 nights pre-cruise (12/30 to 1/2) for our Anthem of the Seas cruise.

Even if NYE doesn't work out, we do plan to spend some time in the city at some point during our stay.

We want a clean and comfy hotel as inexpensive as possible.... but not willing to give up cleanliness or safety. So whatever that means... Lol.

Help?

What are you paying for Embassy Suites? It's going to cost $59 for the three of you to go in and out of Manhattan.

Just checked last minute travel and they are showing the Westin in Jersey City for 2 adults and 1 child at $170 + tax ($581 for 3 nights incl tax)!!!!!! OMG - Book that immediately. It's cancellable up to three days before.

You have an 8 year old. You don't want to spend an hour plus each way on public transit to get in and out of New York and spend $59 to do it. In Jan you also don't want to be hanging out at Newark Airport train station waiting for trains or at the P4 Airtrain stop waiting for the hotel shuttle with a cold 8 year old.

Help?

Do not consider Times Square on NYE with the 8 year old. This is how it works. They make you enter a pen. If you leave the pen to go to the bathroom, get something to eat, or warm up, no coming back. No saving spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Typically we recommend booking a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo. A more budget option would be

Independent driver - 888-816-0973

inde.drvr@gmail.com

You are very close to your sail date, so you need todo this immediately. Be sure to specify how much luggage you will have.

Thanks! We called all you recommended and it's about $50 for one car including toll. We got two because it was cheaper than one van. We decided on Camellimo because we've used them before. We considered Uber but liked the peace of mind of reserving a car service.