CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Here is the website

http://trinityreservations.com/index.php

not sure if the new option will apply to all of the airports they handle, but the pricing for the BW, Ramada and Springhill Suites at Newark are all pretty decent. Not too worried about food, I can either get something before I leave the airport or walk over to the courtyard. My concern is that they seem to be a 3rd party agent like some of the hotel booking sites and concern about the hotels honoring the booking. I have googled for reviews and so far haven't found anything.

I've used them in the past and was very satisfied. I recommend them all the time and other cruisers have been satisfied. They are a faith based operation and always respond to my questions or comments. And I really like that they quote tax included. I'm cruising from Cape Liberty in Feb and if I drive instead of taking the train, I will be using them at the Ramada.

I'm not keen about the Best Western location on the west side of the airport. That's not a hotel that we typically recommend.

Hi all you experienced cruisers docking at Cape Liberty,

We are docked there for 2 days with Azamara Quest in October, 8th and 9th, and want to go to Manhatten/NYC for sightseeing.

Our cruise documentation says a free shuttle will be provided for this period.

Do you have any idea where this will go and how often it may run.

We want to do a tour that leaves 53rd Street, between 7th Avenue and Broadway at 10 am and wondered if this would be possible as the shuttles are due to start at 9 am on both days.

Are there other alternatives that would get us there on time?

As we are from Australia, we don't always understand acronyms and have no idea of the geography, could you spell it out clearly please.

Many thanks,

Sue and Susan

Hi all you experienced cruisers docking at Cape Liberty,

We are docked there for 2 days with Azamara Quest in October, 8th and 9th, and want to go to Manhatten/NYC for sightseeing.

Our cruise documentation says a free shuttle will be provided for this period.

Do you have any idea where this will go and how often it may run.

We want to do a tour that leaves 53rd Street, between 7th Avenue and Broadway at 10 am and wondered if this would be possible as the shuttles are due to start at 9 am on both days.

Are there other alternatives that would get us there on time?

As we are from Australia, we don't always understand acronyms and have no idea of the geography, could you spell it out clearly please.

Many thanks,

Sue and Susan

Wow! That's really interesting. I don't ever remember Cape Liberty hosting a scheduled two day port stop for New York.

First of all tell us all about the tour you want to take that leaves 7th Ave & 53rd St at 10:00 am. New York is loaded with tons of tour options. What makes this tour so special? Tell us what you really want to see in two days in NY.

Also, can you give us all the details you have from Azamara about the shuttle service? Where does it take you exactly in NYC? Are they offering shuttle service from the ship to the Hudson-Bergen light rail station? Quite frankly, even on a Saturday the timing sounds tight for NY. How early can you disembark the ship?

Cape Liberty is located in Bayonne, NJ. Google Port Terminal Blvd, Bayonne, NJ to see where you're going to be. October 8-10 is Columbus Day weekend in the US.

Hudson-Bergen light rail/PATH map - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

PATH map - http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

Please note that 33rd St PATH service is currently not running weekends due to track construction.

If you want to go to the Statue of Liberty, plan to do it from Liberty State Park in NJ. From the Statue you can return to Manhattan and do the 911 Memorial.

Thank you very much for your reply, 138east,

the cruise is a charter by an Australian company and is 32 nights from Montreal to New Orleans, under the name "Discover the Eastern Seaboard".

It has not been well advertised and there are still many empty cabins although it is now 2 for 1.

The process of dealing with the charter company and its negotiations with Azamara has been difficult, to say the least. It was intitially advertised as docking in Manhatten but Cape Liberty was always reserved from the start. Some months ago we were notified that it would definitely be Cape Liberty, with a variety of excuses thrown around for the change. At that time we were notified there would be a shuttle to Manhatten, but so many stories have been told, promises made and broken that most of us aboard are pretty cynical. We received our cruise documentation today and the only information about a shuttle was the times it would run, 9 am to 11 pm the first night and 9 am until 5 the second (we sail at 6).

The tour we want to do is 'New York: see it all', preferably on the first day so we can look at some areas in a little more depth on the second. As this is likely to be our one and only trip to New York we do want to see as much as we can. I know we can do a HOHO tour but liked the idea of this one as the guide gets off with us at the different stops. We are going to An American in Paris on the first night so we want to have a little time to rest before going out again.

We would appreciate any other recommendations you might make.

When you say it is Columbus Day weekend, I imagine that's celebrating Columbus's discovery, so there is likely to be a public holiday. Does that make it even harder to get around than usual, as it would here in Melbourne?

Cheers from Downunder,

Sue and Susan

Thank you very much for your reply, 138east,

the cruise is a charter by an Australian company and is 32 nights from Montreal to New Orleans, under the name "Discover the Eastern Seaboard".

It has not been well advertised and there are still many empty cabins although it is now 2 for 1.

The process of dealing with the charter company and its negotiations with Azamara has been difficult, to say the least. It was intitially advertised as docking in Manhatten but Cape Liberty was always reserved from the start. Some months ago we were notified that it would definitely be Cape Liberty, with a variety of excuses thrown around for the change. At that time we were notified there would be a shuttle to Manhatten, but so many stories have been told, promises made and broken that most of us aboard are pretty cynical. We received our cruise documentation today and the only information about a shuttle was the times it would run, 9 am to 11 pm the first night and 9 am until 5 the second (we sail at 6).

The tour we want to do is 'New York: see it all', preferably on the first day so we can look at some areas in a little more depth on the second. As this is likely to be our one and only trip to New York we do want to see as much as we can. I know we can do a HOHO tour but liked the idea of this one as the guide gets off with us at the different stops. We are going to An American in Paris on the first night so we want to have a little time to rest before going out again.

We would appreciate any other recommendations you might make.

When you say it is Columbus Day weekend, I imagine that's celebrating Columbus's discovery, so there is likely to be a public holiday. Does that make it even harder to get around than usual, as it would here in Melbourne?

Cheers from Downunder,

Sue and Susan

I'm finding your description of this chartered itinerary very disturbing. To be perfectly frank, I can't imagine having a two day port stop at Cape Liberty. Please email me at cc138east at gmail dot com.

I think you need to do a lot of homework for this port stop. Given what you've said, I don't think you can realistically make a 10 am tour. The trip between Cape Liberty and Times Square on a shuttle bus (even assuming the shuttle bus is dropping you at Times Square) will run at least 40 minutes not allowing for any significant traffic delays and that's not allowing time on both ends to catch the bus and to get to your destination beyond Times Square). It is not going to be easy to run back and forth between the ship and Manhattan.

Given your lack of confidence in the planning of the charter company, I think you need a serious plan B for every plan A. Example: you're going to the theater. What if you miss the 11 pm bus? It could cost you $100 to get back to Cape Liberty by car service or cab. Will you have US cell phone service?

The holiday should not be a big deal, but it is a holiday weekend.

What are you paying for Embassy Suites? It's going to cost $59 for the three of you to go in and out of Manhattan.

Just checked last minute travel and they are showing the Westin in Jersey City for 2 adults and 1 child at $170 + tax ($581 for 3 nights incl tax)!!!!!! OMG - Book that immediately. It's cancellable up to three days before.

You have an 8 year old. You don't want to spend an hour plus each way on public transit to get in and out of New York and spend $59 to do it. In Jan you also don't want to be hanging out at Newark Airport train station waiting for trains or at the P4 Airtrain stop waiting for the hotel shuttle with a cold 8 year old.

Eeeek!!! OK. Booking now!!! Thank you! I'll be back....

What are you paying for Embassy Suites? It's going to cost $59 for the three of you to go in and out of Manhattan.

Just checked last minute travel and they are showing the Westin in Jersey City for 2 adults and 1 child at $170 + tax ($581 for 3 nights incl tax)!!!!!! OMG - Book that immediately. It's cancellable up to three days before.

I tried and I do not see the Westin for that price. :( Maybe I missed it? I just got online after a morning at the doctor with my little boy with sprained or fractured wrist.... smh.

So is that the area I should look in? I can keep another eye out for a deal there or near there if it's better.

The Embassy Suites was $159/night btw.

Edited by shonandsuzie

I tried and I do not see the Westin for that price. :( Maybe I missed it? I just got online after a morning at the doctor with my little boy with sprained or fractured wrist.... smh.

So is that the area I should look in? I can keep another eye out for a deal there or near there if it's better.

The Embassy Suites was $159/night btw.

It's still there. LastMinuteTravel - Jersey City, NJ. Dec 30-Jan 2 It didn't show under New York or Newark.

Even paying the taxi to get there, you will still be relatively even moneywise with a lot less time wasted and a lot less travel stress with an 8 year old.

I also agree about about absolutely no NYE in Times Square with an 8 year old!

The Westin has a top floor restaurant/bar with great views among other amenities.

It's still there. LastMinuteTravel - Jersey City, NJ. Dec 30-Jan 2 It didn't show under New York or Newark.

Even paying the taxi to get there, you will still be relatively even moneywise with a lot less time wasted and a lot less travel stress with an 8 year old.

The Westin has a top floor restaurant/bar with great views among other amenities.

Is it the nameless one for $170? It says 4 stars. I see that. And it still is cancellable even if it's the nameless deal?

Sorry for being a pest but I dont want to mess up. :)

Is it the nameless one for $170? It says 4 stars. I see that. And it still is cancellable even if it's the nameless deal?

Sorry for being a pest but I dont want to mess up. :)

Nevermind. I BOOKED IT! Thank you so much for your help. That price is awesome.

Super Shuttle has a bad rep in the NY Metro area. No one booked at Country Inns has ever complained about being excluded from the shuttle. However, I would contact them about a week ahead to see what you can arrange and to met them know there is one extra person. I think the language is to guard against large groups booking and expecting to add on a shuttle at the last minute without booking the sleep/cruise package. When I spoke to folks at CI (I have stayed there several times), they said that about a week ahead they figure out how many people they have for the shuttle and order an appropriate sized vehicle to accommodate those people.

Carol, can you elaborate on your "Super Shuttle has a bad rep in the NY Metro area" comment? I signed on with a group (not arranged by me) on our Sunday, 10/2 cruise for transport from Times Square hotels to the Cape Liberty cruiseport. There are 19 of us, two shuttles, 10 on one and 9 on the other, and the shuttle service is Super Shuttle. Can you tell me what the bad rep is and whether or not I should be concerned--is a Plan B needed?

Also, at the end of the cruise, United has moved a flight up on us from 12:45 p.m. to 11:45 a.m. This too will be on a Sunday with the ship docking at 7:00 a.m. and the flight is leaving from EWR. I do not plan to walk off but hope to be one of the first off to claim luggage and I have a service lined up with a pickup scheduled at 9:00 a.m. We are also supposed to go through Customs in Bar Harbor (our first U.S. port back after having been in Canada). So my questions are these (1) will we still have to go through customs again in Cape Liberty (2) if we do, is it doable to get off the ship and through everything by 9:00 a.m. (without walkoff) to meet our driver at 9:00 a.m. and then have enough time to catch an 11:45 flight from Newark?

Thanks for any info.

We are planning to do the walk-off. We did it in Puerto Rico and even tho my husband is not an early riser, we both thought it was much easier and far less waiting. We do our best to only have one bag each and if we have a carry on, that it secures to big bag...

Carol, can you elaborate on your "Super Shuttle has a bad rep in the NY Metro area" comment? I signed on with a group (not arranged by me) on our Sunday, 10/2 cruise for transport from Times Square hotels to the Cape Liberty cruiseport. There are 19 of us, two shuttles, 10 on one and 9 on the other, and the shuttle service is Super Shuttle. Can you tell me what the bad rep is and whether or not I should be concerned--is a Plan B needed?

Also, at the end of the cruise, United has moved a flight up on us from 12:45 p.m. to 11:45 a.m. This too will be on a Sunday with the ship docking at 7:00 a.m. and the flight is leaving from EWR. I do not plan to walk off but hope to be one of the first off to claim luggage and I have a service lined up with a pickup scheduled at 9:00 a.m. We are also supposed to go through Customs in Bar Harbor (our first U.S. port back after having been in Canada). So my questions are these (1) will we still have to go through customs again in Cape Liberty (2) if we do, is it doable to get off the ship and through everything by 9:00 a.m. (without walkoff) to meet our driver at 9:00 a.m. and then have enough time to catch an 11:45 flight from Newark?

Thanks for any info.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Nevermind. I BOOKED IT! Thank you so much for your help. That price is awesome.

That's terrific! The hotel was not nameless when I looked.

Please check back later in the year about the PATH status for that weekend. They are doing track work, but the PATH site indicates that they will not do it on holiday weekends, but Christmas and New Years are not yet listed. We should have feedback by then about the Labor Day Experience,

Thanks for any info.

Your group has essentially booked the entire shuttle like a car service, so you're not going to be driving all over dropping others folks off.

As far as Super Shuttle in general I am just passing along comments that others have posted here and there. One major complaint is the shared nature of the service. It's fine if you're the first person dropped off, but you can get the scenic time consuming tour of New York if you're the last person dropped off. Another comment is that the service in the NY metro area is not nearly as good as in other places like Florida and California.

I've never arrived at Cape Liberty from a US port, so I can't comment. Is this the Summit?

Your group has essentially booked the entire shuttle like a car service, so you're not going to be driving all over dropping others folks off.

As far as Super Shuttle in general I am just passing along comments that others have posted here and there. One major complaint is the shared nature of the service. It's fine if you're the first person dropped off, but you can get the scenic time consuming tour of New York if you're the last person dropped off. Another comment is that the service in the NY metro area is not nearly as good as in other places like Florida and California.

I've never arrived at Cape Liberty from a US port, so I can't comment. Is this the Summit?

Yes, it is the Summit. They changed itinerary this year and have us going to Canadian ports first, then Bar Harbor, Portland, Boston and Cape Liberty. I understand customs will happen in Bar Harbor (a tender port) which causes concern for those of us with tours due to possible delays. But then that made me wonder if we could skip that customs step in Cape Liberty as a result. I may ask the question on the September threads since we are not going until October.

As far as walk off, we have one in our party who could not take their luggage which is why we don't want to walk off. Yet we want to make sure we can make a 9:00 pickup time and their 11:45 a.m. flight. Any reassurances?

Thanks for the info on Super Shuttle. Since we are all going together to the same place, I am definitely feeling better about that.

Edited by Edgewater601

Yes, it is the Summit. They changed itinerary this year and have us going to Canadian ports first, then Bar Harbor, Portland, Boston and Cape Liberty. I understand customs will happen in Bar Harbor (a tender port) which causes concern for those of us with tours due to possible delays. But then that made me wonder if we could skip that customs step in Cape Liberty as a result. I may ask the question on the September threads since we are not going until October.

As far as walk off, we have one in our party who could not take their luggage which is why we don't want to walk off. Yet we want to make sure we can make a 9:00 pickup time and their 11:45 a.m. flight. Any reassurances?

Thanks for the info on Super Shuttle. Since we are all going together to the same place, I am definitely feeling better about that.

We just got off the summit and we asked for the first time off where X took our bags off. We docked at 7, walk off with all your luggage was 730 and the next time was 8 which we were in. ..we were sitting in our shuttle by 830 and off to the airport. ..got there about qtr after 9 ish as there was 1 lane closed on the bridge and a bit of traffic. .we had a 1215 flight and had plenty of time.

Good to know; thanks!

We just got off the summit and we asked for the first time off where X took our bags off. We docked at 7, walk off with all your luggage was 730 and the next time was 8 which we were in. ..we were sitting in our shuttle by 830 and off to the airport. ..got there about qtr after 9 ish as there was 1 lane closed on the bridge and a bit of traffic. .we had a 1215 flight and had plenty of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's terrific! The hotel was not nameless when I looked.

Please check back later in the year about the PATH status for that weekend. They are doing track work, but the PATH site indicates that they will not do it on holiday weekends, but Christmas and New Years are not yet listed. We should have feedback by then about the Labor Day Experience,

Ok. I will. Thanks again!

What is the date of your sailing. I am on the Summit Sept4-18 and we are doing the U.S. Ports first and then on to Canada.

You will not be clearing customs in Bar Harbor, you will be clearing immigration. Customs clearance still comes at disembarkation, because you could have purchased items in the ship's duty free shops on the cruise days between Bar Harbor and Cape Liberty.

By the way, a couple of years ago on a similar itinerary for some reason CBP didn't bother with the immigration check in Bar Harbor or any of the other US ports we visited between Bar Harbor and disembarkation in NY, so we ended up clearing both customs and immigration in NY...which was really odd.

Thank you so much for your input! You have made me feel so much better. I am confident that we can make it. Driver said he would be there 15 minutes early at 8:45--we will do our best to be first off, and since we are still going through customs, I am praying for a quick line!

What is the date of your sailing. I am on the Summit Sept4-18 and we are doing the U.S. Ports first and then on to Canada.

Well that is interesting. I thought we all had the same itinerary on the fall Summit cruises. Obviously, I was mistaken because we do the Canadian ports first on the 10/2/16 sailing and come back via the American ports! I will still be interested in how your cruise is in September and if you have any tips along with a fall color update.

You will not be clearing customs in Bar Harbor, you will be clearing immigration. Customs clearance still comes at disembarkation, because you could have purchased items in the ship's duty free shops on the cruise days between Bar Harbor and Cape Liberty.

By the way, a couple of years ago on a similar itinerary for some reason CBP didn't bother with the immigration check in Bar Harbor or any of the other US ports we visited between Bar Harbor and disembarkation in NY, so we ended up clearing both customs and immigration in NY...which was really odd.

Thank you for the clarification Do you know how long it usually takes to clear immigration in Bar Harbor (if we have to go through it) and Customs in Cape Liberty? I applied for Global Entry in May but I couldn't get an appointment until the end of October--after our cruise gets back! So I am stuck with the rest of the cattle call!

Thank you all--such a wealth of information!

Thank you for the clarification Do you know how long it usually takes to clear immigration in Bar Harbor (if we have to go through it) and Customs in Cape Liberty? I applied for Global Entry in May but I couldn't get an appointment until the end of October--after our cruise gets back! So I am stuck with the rest of the cattle call!

Thank you all--such a wealth of information!

I can't help you with the time questions because I haven't gone through an immigration check in Bar Harbor in several years and CBP's procedures change constantly. I also haven't cruised from Cape Liberty since the new terminal opened so I have no feel for how quickly they clear you there.

Global Entry is of no relevance for your cruise. The only cruise port that has been identified as having a separate Global Entry line is Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale. Other than that one port, Global Entry only speeds you through customs and immigration in airports.

Edited by njhorseman