CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

As for parking and paying, it's also been reported the cash machines don't take any bills larger than $50, not that I would have any of those. There were 3 machines in total 2 for credit card and one for cash. Not sure this is a better way of doing things, the machines are outside the garage so if it's raining, snowing, sleeting you will get wet while paying.

Personally I liked paying at the beginning of the cruise so when we disembark we can just get our bags and go. Now we have to take and keep a parking ticket with us the entire length of our cruise.

do you have to pay at the machine, or do they have attendants and you can pay at the exit?

Yes, you have to pay at the machine. No attendants at the exit. When you return from your cruise you put your parking ticket in the machine, pay for your parking, you get your ticket back out of the machine, then go to your car and then as you exit the garage put your ticket in the machine so the bar will lift up so you can exit.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the September 22nd sailing of the Anthem. I have the Park Whiz app downloaded on my phone because we park a lot in Manhatan. We used it to park at the 69 Hook Road parking lot location. We got a 15% discount for being Park Whiz users. I thought it was easy peasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as for parking and paying, it's also been reported the cash machines don't take any bills larger than $50, not that i would have any of those. There were 3 machines in total 2 for credit card and one for cash. Not sure this is a better way of doing things, the machines are outside the garage so if it's raining, snowing, sleeting you will get wet while paying.

personally i liked paying at the beginning of the cruise so when we disembark we can just get our bags and go. now we have to take and keep a parking ticket with us the entire length of our cruise.

+1.

We took the September 22nd sailing of the Anthem. I have the Park Whiz app downloaded on my phone because we park a lot in Manhatan. We used it to park at the 69 Hook Road parking lot location. We got a 15% discount for being Park Whiz users. I thought it was easy peasy.

how far is the lot from the terminal and do they offer transportation to the terminal?

How long does it take for them to pick you up at the terminal after disembarkation? I don't want to wait for 30-40 minutes as I could be half way home by then.

How long does it take for them to pick you up at the terminal after disembarkation? I don't want to wait for 30-40 minutes as I could be half way home by then.

No reports or guarantees on how long the pickups take.

Remember, this is not a real parking operation. It only operates on Cape Liberty sail days which range from 3 to 8 times a month. While you're sailing, your car just sits the the gated area of a storage facility that is open daily to the public. The parking folks are not on site most of the time in case anything happens.

Parking at Cape Liberty was super easy. We pulled up and dropped off bags. All of us drove to parking garage and actually got space on 2nd floor near elevator and stairs. Coming back I paid for parking in cash - no line. One went to get car and rest of us took bags and waited in pick up area of parking garage. Long line for elevator but steps without bags took no time. I would say from time we got in line to leave ship to time we got on the road was about a half hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by cat5dog1

No reports or guarantees on how long the pickups take.

Remember, this is not a real parking operation. It only operates on Cape Liberty sail days which range from 3 to 8 times a month. While you're sailing, your car just sits the the gated area of a storage facility that is open daily to the public. The parking folks are not on site most of the time in case anything happens.

So I guess it's not worth it then to save $75 over parking at the port? Plus I don't want to wait for pick up as I want to get on the road and over the GWB as early as possible.

Thanks.

So I guess it's not worth it then to save $75 over parking at the port? Plus I don't want to wait for pick up as I want to get on the road and over the GWB as early as possible.

Thanks.

There are no guarantees on the pickups. It could be great or awful. If you want to self disembark and get on the road immediately, pay to park at the port.

Thanks.

I used the facility at 69 New Hook Rd in Bayonne when it operated under the name of Premier Parking. I was assured that on disembarkation day, their shuttles would be operating and there would be no wait. I did self assist off the ship, walked to the designated pick up area and joined the line. The first person in line had called Premier to let them know they were waiting and the reply was the shuttle was on the way.

If you do not want to wait 30-45 minutes DO NOT use that parking facility. The wait was more than 45 minutes, lies were repeatedly told that the "shuttle" was on the way. Eventually the phones were not answered as more than a few of us called...asking aboiut the shuttle and complaining that it was not at the port as promised. When the "shuttle" did show up, there were two suv s and one other vehicle (I do not think that vehicle was a van).

The order of the wait line was not honored and it was a scramble to whichever vehicle was closest. The first in line was NOT able to get all their family memebers on the 3 vehicles. The "shuttle" driver suggested one of them drive back to get the last family member!:rolleyes:

None of their vehicles, including the shuttle van used on embarkation day had any vehicle markings or DOT numbers. I believe the operator rents vans, suvs, cars on they days of embarkation/disembarkation. Our cars were left in a lot that was NOT secure during the day.The lot is a parcel of a self storage facility that does have a fence surrounding the property but the storage facility is open during the day and the lot that cruisers cars are parked in can easily be accessed by anyone. The lot had no painted spaces, it did have numerous pot holes.

I googled Premier Parking Bayonne to verify the address used by ParkWhiz and images of the "lot" can be viewed. It is your choice but I would never use the 69 New Hook Rd parking facility under any operators name ever again.

Parking at Cape Liberty was super easy. We pulled up and dropped off bags. All of us drove to parking garage and actually got space on 2nd floor near elevator and stairs. Coming back I paid for parking in cash - no line. One went to get car and rest of us took bags and waited in pick up area of parking garage. Long line for elevator but steps without bags took no time. I would say from time we got in line to leave ship to time we got on the road was about a half hour.

can I ask what time you arrived to the pier? I wonder if it would be an option to have one person walk up to the car, bring the car down to the first floor and load bags on that way? Instead of waiting for the elevator? Is that an option?

can I ask what time you arrived to the pier? I wonder if it would be an option to have one person walk up to the car, bring the car down to the first floor and load bags on that way? Instead of waiting for the elevator? Is that an option?

Ship got to pier 6:3o-7 and started letting people off 7:30-8ish. Sorry I don't remember exact times. We were late getting off ship because we were waiting for wheelchair which never came. They also were behind due to something with customs. I would estimate we started to leave around 10 and we were definitely on road 10:35. Lines kept moving.

They have an area on the first level where someone can wait with the bags while driver gets car. They direct car into parking space, you load bags and proceed to put paid ticket in gate. Did not take long at all.

Carol, you have mentioned traveling with Amtrak before, so I'm hoping you can answer my question...

I am going to be taking the train from EWR to Baltimore/BWI and am worried about having enough time to board the train, find a seat & stow 2 medium suitcases...the train does not have checked baggage available...and it also say's on the Amtrak page no luggage assistance available....I have taken the train from BWI to Washington Union station and barely had time to get onboard...let alone find a seat or stow my bag before the train was moving out of the station...I don't see 1 suitcase for a 9 nt cruise & 3 nights pre/post cruise as being remotely possible...

I guess my question in all that is....Is the train at the station for 5-10 mins to allow people to board & deal with their luggage? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have read a lot of this thread and I think I read that a cab from the port Cape Liberty to the Newark airport will run about $65. Is this correct? From maps and directions this is a 10 mile drive. Is Uber a better choice? Is it available at the port? Are there any other options?

Carol, you have mentioned traveling with Amtrak before, so I'm hoping you can answer my question...

I am going to be taking the train from EWR to Baltimore/BWI and am worried about having enough time to board the train, find a seat & stow 2 medium suitcases...the train does not have checked baggage available...and it also say's on the Amtrak page no luggage assistance available....I have taken the train from BWI to Washington Union station and barely had time to get onboard...let alone find a seat or stow my bag before the train was moving out of the station...I don't see 1 suitcase for a 9 nt cruise & 3 nights pre/post cruise as being remotely possible...

I guess my question in all that is....Is the train at the station for 5-10 mins to allow people to board & deal with their luggage? Thanks!

This has been answered on another thread.

I have read a lot of this thread and I think I read that a cab from the port Cape Liberty to the Newark airport will run about $65. Is this correct? From maps and directions this is a 10 mile drive. Is Uber a better choice? Is it available at the port? Are there any other options?

$65 is a realistic estimate. The cost estimates are not clear for Uber. What exact date would you be doing this?

Date and time are big factors. During rush hour it can be very time consuming to get onto the turnpike. Cape Liberty is at the end of an isolated peninsula in Bayonne NJ - it's out of the way of mainstream traffic, but it can get very congested when a ship is embarking and disembarking.

The only other option would be a cruise transfer which has been quoted at about $27.50/pp.

We disembarked very late. One of the last numbers. We got outside and waited about 10 minutes before we got into a van. We got lucky.

I can understand some reluctance to parking offsite. But we are usually all about the bucks and try to stretch our travel dollars as much as possible. We are willing to put up with a bit of inconvenience to save.

$65 is a realistic estimate. The cost estimates are not clear for Uber. What exact date would you be doing this?

Date and time are big factors. During rush hour it can be very time consuming to get onto the turnpike. Cape Liberty is at the end of an isolated peninsula in Bayonne NJ - it's out of the way of mainstream traffic, but it can get very congested when a ship is embarking and disembarking.

The only other option would be a cruise transfer which has been quoted at about $27.50/pp.

We will be arriving on April 28 -- plan to stay the night at Robert treat -- Uber or taxi to Cape Liberty on the 29th. We wanted to use self debarkation and catch a plane from Newark airport at 11:20. I think after reading some of the posts that this time is not advisable. After noon is suggested so we may spend another night. I don't want to spend 6 1/2 hours on a plane when it is a 2 1/2 hour flight. I would rather stay another night on the return.

We will be arriving on April 28 -- plan to stay the night at Robert treat -- Uber or taxi to Cape Liberty on the 29th. We wanted to use self debarkation and catch a plane from Newark airport at 11:20. I think after reading some of the posts that this time is not advisable. After noon is suggested so we may spend another night. I don't want to spend 6 1/2 hours on a plane when it is a 2 1/2 hour flight. I would rather stay another night on the return.

That sounds like a plan. That will give you a day to do something in New York. There is good transportation from the Robert Treat to both midtown and downtown Manhattan.