CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Hi Carol

We could use your advice. We (4 adults) are staying in early Feb. at the Ramada Plaza Newark which we booked thru Trinity. We are coming by car from NE Ohio an extra day early to allow for weather and to would like to visit the SOL and go into NYC.

How would be the best way to go from Ramada Plaza to Liberty State Park to catch the ferry to Ellis Island? We plan on taking the ferry after touring Ellis Island/SOL to Battery Park and going to the 9/11 Memorial and touring the City. We would like to return by taking the subway/PATH from New York Penn Station to the Ramada Plaza. The hotel has a free shuttle from EWR to the hotel. Should we take PATH from NY Penn Station to EWR? Your advice we would be most welcome. Thanks.

You are on my cruise and I am at the Ramada on 2/6!

The only way easy/economical way to get from the Ramada to Liberty State Park is to take a cab for about $50. To get back to the Ramada, take the NJ Transit train from New York Penn Station to Newark Penn Station for $5.25/pp and a cab from Newark Penn Station to the Ramada for about $25. Forget any option that goes through the airport because you pay a surcharge ($13/pp from New York Penn to Newark Airport) plus the extra time to take the free Airtrain to the P4 station and wait for the free hotel shuttle. Very time consuming and expensive after a long day touring NYC.

Hi Carol

What a pleasant coincidence that we are both on the same cruise and at the same hotel. Thanks for your advice as it will help with our travel plans to the SOL/NYC as long as Mother Nature cooperates. Cruise Critic members are very helpful.

We have sailed out of Manhattan cruise terminal on Carnival previously but this will be the first time out of Cape Liberty on Anthem. We have not sailed on ship this size before and are looking forward to it. With the winter we are having we are looking forward to this upcoming cruise. Hopefully our paths will cross during the 12 day cruise.....possibly at the Meet&Mingle. Thanks again for your assistance.

Hi Carol

What a pleasant coincidence that we are both on the same cruise and at the same hotel. Thanks for your advice as it will help with our travel plans to the SOL/NYC as long as Mother Nature cooperates. Cruise Critic members are very helpful.

We have sailed out of Manhattan cruise terminal on Carnival previously but this will be the first time out of Cape Liberty on Anthem. We have not sailed on ship this size before and are looking forward to it. With the winter we are having we are looking forward to this upcoming cruise. Hopefully our paths will cross during the 12 day cruise.....possibly at the Meet&Mingle. Thanks again for your assistance.

Are you doing the park/sleep/cruise package? If so, perhaps I will see you on the shuttle. I'm hoping to go as early as possible. I think you will be wowed by Anthem.

Yes we are doing the park/sleep/cruise package....good deal. We also hope to be on the first shuttle to the ship. Do you know how long you have to wait for the shuttle after debarkation?

Anthem appears to be an astounding ship and we are going to some ports that we have not been to. See you at the shuttle.

Does anyone know if the Hampton Inn at EWR has a port shuttle?

The Hampton Inn does not have a shuttle to Cape Liberty.

Give us more details about what you are planning. Exact date? Number of people? Type of beds? Hotel budget? Flying?

The packages that we recommend with a port shuttle are offered by Country Inns, Embassy Suites and Trinity reservations (Ramada Plaza).

Car service to and from Cape Liberty runs $55-65 each way.

Right now we are planning on sailing on Anthem on March 26. There are 3 of us (two adults, one child). I'm a Hilton HHonors member so I'm aware of the available hotels and prices. The Hampton Inn was significantly cheaper but I couldn't find any info on port transfer.

Do I need to book the package with Embassy or can I just book a room and arrange the transfer on arrival?

Flying in to EWR.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by breeze123

Right now we are planning on sailing on Anthem on March 26. There are 3 of us (two adults, one child). I'm a Hilton HHonors member so I'm aware of the available hotels and prices. The Hampton Inn was significantly cheaper but I couldn't find any info on port transfer.

Do I need to book the package with Embassy or can I just book a room and arrange the transfer on arrival?

Flying in to EWR.

My understanding is that you arrange the transfer on arrival. However, I'd call them directly to verify. I'm thinking its $20/pp.

For a more budget no frills service contact Independent driver - 888-816-0973

inde.drvr@gmail.com 4-6 weeks ahead. They might be better priced since you have three people.

Flying in to EWR.

My understanding is that you arrange the transfer on arrival. However, I'd call them directly to verify. I'm thinking its $20/pp.

For a more budget no frills service contact Independent driver - 888-816-0973

inde.drvr@gmail.com 4-6 weeks ahead. They might be better priced since you have three people.

I e mailed the Embassy Suites in October to try and sort this question out (as there had been different views). After having an e mail conversation with one of the managers, you can get a shuttle for $20pp and you don't have to pre book, just sign up when you check in. However, if Carol can phone and check this, at least we will have had 2 confirmations on the info.

Simon

I e mailed the Embassy Suites in October to try and sort this question out (as there had been different views). After having an e mail conversation with one of the managers, you can get a shuttle for $20pp and you don't have to pre book, just sign up when you check in. However, if Carol can phone and check this, at least we will have had 2 confirmations on the info.

Simon

Thank you Simon! I think you were the person I was referring to.

When a hotel property does not clearly advertise a shuttle option for folks who are not parking as well, I am uncomfortable telling folks that it is a definite option. Sometimes you just have to pick up the phone and call directly or email to verify for yourself.

I am driving in from Ohio on a Friday night after work, March 24. We are going to do a whirlwind tour of NYC on Saturday. I want to see 9/11 memorial, and then a quick subway tour stop at the highlights of NYC for my 12 year old. So just take subway to Grand Central Station, Rockefeller Center and Central Park. In addition, I would love to fit in Ellis Island. My original idea was stay at Ramada, drive to liberty park for ferry. but the 7:45 return concerns me timewise....other thought is staying Jersey City to ride the train/subway? Then return to hotel, get car and move to Ramada for the park and cruise package for one night. Thoughts? Jersey City do hotels charge for parking? Anyplace that would have park/ride free parking?

I am driving in from Ohio on a Friday night after work, March 24. We are going to do a whirlwind tour of NYC on Saturday. I want to see 9/11 memorial, and then a quick subway tour stop at the highlights of NYC for my 12 year old. So just take subway to Grand Central Station, Rockefeller Center and Central Park. In addition, I would love to fit in Ellis Island. My original idea was stay at Ramada, drive to liberty park for ferry. but the 7:45 return concerns me timewise....other thought is staying Jersey City to ride the train/subway? Then return to hotel, get car and move to Ramada for the park and cruise package for one night. Thoughts? Jersey City do hotels charge for parking? Anyplace that would have park/ride free parking?

Look at Candlewood Suites in Jersey City for 3/24 - $153 + tax, $25 parking - queen bed and sofabed. It's 4-5 blocks to the Exchange Place PATH Station - one stop to World Trade. You could do Ellis Island first from Battery Park followed by the 911 Memorial. Then you could set off on your subway hopping around midtown. Return could be via PATH from 33rd St to Newport and walking 6-7 blocks. This would avoid going to Grove St and transferring to ride back to Exchange Place.

I like the idea of moving to the Ramada for the last night to take advantage of the park/cruise package through trinity reservations. Check with Candlewood to see if the $25 covers the entire day.

The problem with basing yourself for two days at the Ramada is that it will cost you $11.25/adult and $9.60/child to go one way from the airport to World Trade on PATH. Coming back from New York Penn Station it will be $13/adult and $9/child. It's also time consuming with multiple connections. PATH is $2.75/pp for each ride. The Ramada may also charge you for parking for the extra night.

Question for 138 east.

Have booked Anthem on Jan of 2018. Doing 12 day Caribbean run.

We have NEVER cruise out of Bayonne(Is that the same as Liberty)

We will fly in the night before. Best quick simplest way for one night lodging and then morning transfer to terminal.

Hear some hotels offer port transfers for fee.

What hotels have airport pickup with port transfers the next morning?

On return how does one get for terminal to airport. Is taxi the only options or are there private shuttle services. Thanks in advance.

Question for 138 east.

Have booked Anthem on Jan of 2018. Doing 12 day Caribbean run.

We have NEVER cruise out of Bayonne(Is that the same as Liberty)

We will fly in the night before. Best quick simplest way for one night lodging and then morning transfer to terminal.

Hear some hotels offer port transfers for fee.

What hotels have airport pickup with port transfers the next morning?

On return how does one get for terminal to airport. Is taxi the only options or are there private shuttle services. Thanks in advance.

Cape Liberty port is in Bayonne, NJ. Referring to it as Port Liberty could be confusing because there is a Port Liberte condominium complex in nearby Secaucus, NJ. You should fly into Newark Airport. La Guardia and JFK are not recommended because of the costly and time consuming transfers from these airports. Don't book returning flights before 12-1 pm.

Which date are you sailing in Jan 2018? I am on the Jan 28 sailing.

The hotels we recommend are Country inns and Embassy Suites which have an add on price for port transfers. Trinityreservations.com also offers a cruise package without parking that includes round trip port transportation. These hotels all have free airport shuttles.

Cape Liberty port is in Bayonne, NJ. Referring to it as Port Liberty could be confusing because there is a Port Liberte condominium complex in nearby Secaucus, NJ. You should fly into Newark Airport. La Guardia and JFK are not recommended because of the costly and time consuming transfers from these airports. Don't book returning flights before 12-1 pm.

The hotels we recommend are Country inns and Embassy Suites which have an add on price for port transfers. Trinityreservations.com also offers a cruise package without parking that includes round trip port transportation. These hotels all have free airport shuttles.

One correction. Port Liberte is in Jersey City, adjoining Bayonne to the north. Some GPS will send you there if you do not program in Cape Liberty, Bayonne, N.J. And believe me, you do not want to get lost in that area.

One correction. Port Liberte is in Jersey City, adjoining Bayonne to the north. Some GPS will send you there if you do not program in Cape Liberty, Bayonne, N.J. And believe me, you do not want to get lost in that area.

Thanks Joe! I see it now in Jersey City. I was surprised when Google brought up Secaucus, but now I see where it is in Jersey City. Anyway, referring to Cape Liberty as Port Liberty could cause cruisers unanticipated travel issues.

Thanks. Perfect answers except how to get from ship to airport at end of cruise.

Actually was doing the Jan 7th run, but just which to the 28th run, due to other friends on board.

I want to thank you all for the help that you gave me, and advice!

In Newark, I booked the Best Western Robert Treat, through United, (for $98.00,) and it sounds like a nice place with lots of history, so I am looking forward to my stay! I hope that the roof top deck will have a nice view at night.

Now comes how to find the best way to and from the port. I looked at dial 7, but they charge about $65.00 for the one way to the port. Since there are only two of us, that sounds a bit high for a 9 mile ride. Any suggestions? Anyone know the price of a taxi for two people?

Also, on our way back from the port, we want to end up at Penn Station in New York. What is the best way to get there?

I was thinking if the taxi works out at a fair price to port, maybe we could return to Newark by taxi, and take some sort of transportation to New York, but I'm not sure how that works.

I guess our last alternative is to take RCI transfers from the ship to Time Square, and then get to Penn Station by??

Thank you again!

Thanks. Perfect answers except how to get from ship to airport at end of cruise.

Actually was doing the Jan 7th run, but just which to the 28th run, due to other friends on board.

First call Country Inns to see if they will drop you at the airport on the way back. I think they will do that, but I'm really not sure.

If that doesn't work, post back for other options.

I want to thank you all for the help that you gave me, and advice!

In Newark, I booked the Best Western Robert Treat, through United, (for $98.00,) and it sounds like a nice place with lots of history, so I am looking forward to my stay! I hope that the roof top deck will have a nice view at night.

Now comes how to find the best way to and from the port. I looked at dial 7, but they charge about $65.00 for the one way to the port. Since there are only two of us, that sounds a bit high for a 9 mile ride. Any suggestions? Anyone know the price of a taxi for two people?

Also, on our way back from the port, we want to end up at Penn Station in New York. What is the best way to get there?

I was thinking if the taxi works out at a fair price to port, maybe we could return to Newark by taxi, and take some sort of transportation to New York, but I'm not sure how that works.

I guess our last alternative is to take RCI transfers from the ship to Time Square, and then get to Penn Station by??

Thank you again!

Dial7 sounds a bit high, but not that high. $55-65 is a normal rate. For a more budget no frills service contact Independent driver - 888-816-0973

inde.drvr@gmail.com 4-6 weeks ahead. A taxi would be a flat rate, maybe about $55.

If you can manage your luggage, you can actually take public transit/local cab to and from the port. When I stayed at the Robert Treat, I took the hotel shuttle to Newark Penn Station, PATH to Exchange Place Jersey City, light rail to Bayonne 34th St and local cab into the port. For 2 people the cost of this is $22-25.

Coming back to Manhattan you would take the shuttle to the light rail station and go to Hoboken where you would take PATH to 33rd St. This will put you one Avenue from the 7th Avenue side of NY Penn Station. This cost is also $22-25. These routes are accessible with escalator/elevator access. The light rail is surface transportation with slight ramps onto the platform and even access onto the trains. These routes are lightly traveled non rush hours, which means you can get seats. Total trip time should be about 1 1/4 hours.

Post back if you want more public transit details and local cab numbers.

If you take a cab back to Newark Penn Station, NJ transit fare to NY Penn Station is $5.25.

I don't think I want to chance taking so many different rides to the port, but I am interested in more information for the way back.

Where would I catch the shuttle from the port to the light rail station, or how would I identify the shuttle going there?

Then, once we get off the light rail, is the path in the same place?

Thank you !

I don't think I want to chance taking so many different rides to the port, but I am interested in more information for the way back.

Where would I catch the shuttle from the port to the light rail station, or how would I identify the shuttle going there?

Then, once we get off the light rail, is the path in the same place?

Thank you !

You go to the Taxi Dispatcher (island area across the drop off lane at the customs exit) and tell them you want to be dropped off on Avenue E at the 34th St light rail station. This will give you direct access to the platform without having to use the elevators and skywalk over the tracks from the parking lot.

You might have to wait for the dispatcher to organize a shuttle.

You take any light rail train to Hoboken train Station where you transfer to PATH via elevator and go to 33rd St. Hoboken Terminal is a transportation hub for NJ transit trains, light rail trains, PATH, and local buses. It's well signed and has facilities. The station itself is historic and it's on the Hudson with nice views of Manhattan.

Edited by 138east

First call Country Inns to see if they will drop you at the airport on the way back. I think they will do that, but I'm really not sure.

If that doesn't work, post back for other options.

Switch to the 28th cruise. The other cruiser is also named Carol and was assigned your room when you disembarked and she found your business cards in room.