CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Hello all,

First off what a great thread with lots of information which makes you go into information overload!

I'm cruising on Anthem on March 26 as a solo cruiser, and will be flying into Newark around 6:30 the night before. I just need a place to sleep and transportation to get me to the port the next day. Options?

From what I read Trinity reservations is an option, as well as Country Inn & Suites. Does CI have a shuttle? and what time would these shuttles leave to the port. I would like to get there as early as possible.

Thank you

Hello all,

First off what a great thread with lots of information which makes you go into information overload!

I'm cruising on Anthem on March 26 as a solo cruiser, and will be flying into Newark around 6:30 the night before. I just need a place to sleep and transportation to get me to the port the next day. Options?

From what I read Trinity reservations is an option, as well as Country Inn & Suites. Does CI have a shuttle? and what time would these shuttles leave to the port. I would like to get there as early as possible.

Thank you

How early is early? Shuttles typically leave between 10 am and 12 pm. They usually run at a fixed time. I've heard that Country Inns runs at 10 and 12.

Hello all,

Thank you

How early is early? Shuttles typically leave between 10 am and 12 pm. They usually run at a fixed time. I've heard that Country Inns runs at 10 and 12.

Sorry in advance as I know this question has been asked 5 millions times but I do not want to go through 119 pages of Posts :)

It appears we (2 adults + 1 teen) might be driving from Canada to NY/NJ on March 4th 2017 and sailing out on the Anthem from Cape Liberty on the 5th. Can anyone suggest some hotels that will allow us to park our vehicle for the week and has shuttles to/from the port?

I looked at Trinity but most of the hotels that are listed there say they do not have port shuttles. Does trinity handle the shuttle privately?

Thank you in advance!

Sorry in advance as I know this question has been asked 5 millions times but I do not want to go through 119 pages of Posts :)

It appears we (2 adults + 1 teen) might be driving from Canada to NY/NJ on March 4th 2017 and sailing out on the Anthem from Cape Liberty on the 5th. Can anyone suggest some hotels that will allow us to park our vehicle for the week and has shuttles to/from the port?

I looked at Trinity but most of the hotels that are listed there say they do not have port shuttles. Does trinity handle the shuttle privately?

Thank you in advance!

Trinity handles the shuttle privately. There are very few hotels that we recommend that even offer any kind of shuttle (basically Country Inns and Embassy Suites). These hotels offer a park/stay/cruise package for 2 people - a third person would cost about $35-40 extra for the round trip port transportation - and they do their initial quotes without tax, which is about 20%.

For your date the best deal from Trinity is at the Ramada Plaza for $207 tax included for room, parking, and round trip port transportation for up to 4 people.

We have stayed at Ramada Plaza at least 3 possibly 4 times.[emoji1]. It is a very busy hotel, but has parking for your car which is included. The transfer to the pier and back are included through Trinity. It is a good deal and an easy drive to the port. We did make arrangements in advance to be picked up at the pier on our return and were quite surprised it was included. Ask at the front desk. There is a bar/restaurant on site. We would book this again through Trinity anytime we are leaving from Bayonne [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is anyone familiar with the One UN Hotel in Manhattan? Maybe it used to go by a different name? Someone asked me about it and I thought I would check here.

It could be this hotel - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d209382-Reviews-ONE_UN_New_York-New_York_City_New_York.html

It's all the way east on E 44th St and a good hike to the nearest subway. However there is a bus on 42nd St.

Just back from Anthem 9/3 sailing. Yes, that one that was on the news. We had about 5 hours of rough seas on Sunday. Staff was great. Captain kept us informed. Great cruise.

OK so here are some notes re: Bayonne:

1) You do not pre-pay for the garage anymore. You get a ticket which you need to keep with you so you can pay at the kiosk before you go to your car. I assume they changed it so that B2B ers don't get off cheap.

2) Bayonne traffic during the week is TERRIBLE. We were off the ship about 9:30 Thursday - hoping to avoid the rush hour traffic. It took over an hour just to get out of Bayonne.

3) GPS cannot be trusted in Bayonne. Driving in on Saturday it was very confused and tried to get us to go down the wrong way several times. Many one way streets there. Just follow Ave E and the signs going in. Leaving there are few choices and all of them lead to one lane out. Again follow the signs. GPS tried to get us to take 78E - not! We needed 78W. Fortunately we knew that.

Can anyone post some directions driving from Newark to Cape Liberty? I know they were posted somewhere in this thread, but I didn't know if the detours, etc are still relevant? TIA!

If you're at Newark Airport, you are going to be close to either exit 13A or exit 14 of the NJ Turnpike. If you get on at exit 14, you follow the signs to exit 14A. If you get on at exit 13A, you go north and follow the signs to exit 14A.

At exit 14A the current thinking seems to be to take avenue E. If you take Avenue E, turn left at 40th St, right onto Chosin Way, and left onto the road into the port.

If you're at Newark Airport, you are going to be close to either exit 13A or exit 14 of the NJ Turnpike. If you get on at exit 14, you follow the signs to exit 14A. If you get on at exit 13A, you go north and follow the signs to exit 14A.

At exit 14A the current thinking seems to be to take avenue E. If you take Avenue E, turn left at 40th St, right onto Chosin Way, and left onto the road into the port.

Carol,

We would be coming from the hotel you recommended, the Robert Treat Best Western. Thanks for your quick response!

Carol,

We would be coming from the hotel you recommended, the Robert Treat Best Western. Thanks for your quick response!

That's a little different. Basically you have to get to I78 via route 21 from downtown Newark. I78 East becomes the NJ Turnpike Extension towards the Holland Tunnel, so all you have to do it to stay on I78 East, get on the turnpike, and follow the signs to exit 14A, which is one exit from where you get on. I think the toll is $1.65.

Hi Everyone,

i'm feeling really overwhelmed trying to select a hotel for my upcoming anthem cruise Oct 20th (last minute booking). This is my first time sailing out of Cape Liberty and to top it off, I'll be travelling solo...

I'm quite limited on hotel options as it's so close to the date, but I have looked up Embassy Suites, which seems like a nice comfortable one night stay. I see that they offer free shuttle from EWR to the hotel, but I can't seem to find out if they offer a shuttle to Cape Liberty. I have called Embassy, and they couldn't provide me with a yes/no answer.

Would someone please let me know if this is an option, or if I should look elsewhere?

I appreciate all suggestions :)

Danielle

Hi Everyone,

i'm feeling really overwhelmed trying to select a hotel for my upcoming anthem cruise Oct 20th (last minute booking). This is my first time sailing out of Cape Liberty and to top it off, I'll be travelling solo...

I'm quite limited on hotel options as it's so close to the date, but I have looked up Embassy Suites, which seems like a nice comfortable one night stay. I see that they offer free shuttle from EWR to the hotel, but I can't seem to find out if they offer a shuttle to Cape Liberty. I have called Embassy, and they couldn't provide me with a yes/no answer.

Would someone please let me know if this is an option, or if I should look elsewhere?

Danielle

Hi Danielle. I am on this same cruise. You did not state which Embassy Suites you are talking about. I can certainly understand your anxiety, with not much time....did you join the "roll call" for this cruise? You should post this question there. You may find someone at the same hotel and do a "ride share" with them. Also, do you have an Uber App? This is another option to get to the port.

Hi Everyone,

Danielle

Keep calling ES until you get a good answer. Folks have reported back being able to book the ES shuttle for $20 each way, but the answers from the hotel have been inconsistent. Call during the day during the week and try to get a manager.

Other parking....

We live local and are looking to park offsite - $12 per day vs $20 per day.

Has anyone had experience with this?? Thoughts??

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you gave a particular place in mind that charges $12/day? Unfortunately the only parking we recommend at the port is the port parking. There are serious concerns about the other option such as insurance coverage for the shuttle operation and the location and security of the lot. Bayonne is a highly urban industrialized area and you should worry about the security of the area where you ditch your car for many days.

Danielle, we just cruised out of Bayonne and then stayed in NJ/NY for a few days. The cab from the ship to our hotel was 42.75. We used Uber to back to the airport. We were at DoubleTree in NJ and the Uber for my husband and I was just over $20.00. Uber is very popular in NJ. You need the app if you use it and you can read up on it. I just wanted to share our experience.

Hi Danielle. I am on this same cruise. You did not state which Embassy Suites you are talking about. I can certainly understand your anxiety, with not much time....did you join the "roll call" for this cruise? You should post this question there. You may find someone at the same hotel and do a "ride share" with them. Also, do you have an Uber App? This is another option to get to the port.

Danielle, we just cruised out of Bayonne and then stayed in NJ/NY for a few days. The cab from the ship to our hotel was 42.75. We used Uber to back to the airport. We were at DoubleTree in NJ and the Uber for my husband and I was just over $20.00. Uber is very popular in NJ. You need the app if you use it and you can read up on it. I just wanted to share our experience.

FYI, while Uber may be very popular in NJ it is also very illegal in most places in the state. When you take Uber in NJ you run the risk of being driven by someone whose is not properly licensed or carrying proper commercial automobile liability insurance. It's very easy to undercut the fares charged by legal taxis when you're not paying for a taxi driver's license and insurance. Until this situation is remedied Uber is not a smart choice for transportation in NJ.

We have had those similar issues raised in Nevada. I will say the cab company car was old and junky and the driver was wearing dirty sweatpants and soccer sandals. The uber car was only a few years old and very clean and the driver was neatly dressed and professional. With both rides, we knew the price before committing to the ride. It is a personal choice, for sure!

FYI, while Uber may be very popular in NJ it is also very illegal in most places in the state. When you take Uber in NJ you run the risk of being driven by someone whose is not properly licensed or carrying proper commercial automobile liability insurance. It's very easy to undercut the fares charged by legal taxis when you're not paying for a taxi driver's license and insurance. Until this situation is remedied Uber is not a smart choice for transportation in NJ.

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on where we should stay in this situation. My family and I are taking a cruise on Anthem in March of 2017. We plan on driving to the port. Cruise leaves on Sunday. We would like to drive in on Friday (8+ hour drive, so we would arrive fairly late) and stay somewhere, so we could spend Saturday being tourists in NYC. For Saturday night, we would like to stay somewhere that does free parking for the length of our cruise (7 days), and then take a shuttle of some sort to the port.

What is our best course of action for this? I was thinking staying somewhere perhaps an hour from the port for Friday night, then getting up on Saturday and driving to the park and cruise hotel. I know we probably wouldn't be able to check in that early, but perhaps we could leave our car there and take some kind of public transit to NYC to spend the day, then return to the park and cruise hotel that night.

Forgive me if this question has been answered a million times. I've read about 30 pages of this thread, but did not read it all.

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on where we should stay in this situation. My family and I are taking a cruise on Anthem in March of 2017. We plan on driving to the port. Cruise leaves on Sunday. We would like to drive in on Friday (8+ hour drive, so we would arrive fairly late) and stay somewhere, so we could spend Saturday being tourists in NYC. For Saturday night, we would like to stay somewhere that does free parking for the length of our cruise (7 days), and then take a shuttle of some sort to the port.

What is our best course of action for this? I was thinking staying somewhere perhaps an hour from the port for Friday night, then getting up on Saturday and driving to the park and cruise hotel. I know we probably wouldn't be able to check in that early, but perhaps we could leave our car there and take some kind of public transit to NYC to spend the day, then return to the park and cruise hotel that night.

Forgive me if this question has been answered a million times. I've read about 30 pages of this thread, but did not read it all.

The park/sleep/cruise options that we recommend at EWR are the Ramada through Trinityreservations.com, Country Inns, and Embassy Suites. Trinity is $207 tax included for your date. The other two are more expensive.

What route are you coming in on from Ohio? Staying about an hour out on Fri night is a good strategy.

On Sat I would consider driving to Journal Square Transportation Center or Grove St on PATH to take advantage of PATH to either midtown or downtown for $2.75/pp each way. Parking should be less than $15. If you're going to be just in midtown NY, you should park at Secaucus Junction and taking the NJ transit train to NY Penn Station. Parking for under 12 hours on a Sat should be $10. Train fare is $4.25/pp each way.

IMO it's not a good strategy to drive to the hotel to park because you will spend a lot of time and pay $26/pp for a round trip to NYC. From the hotel you would have to take the hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain station, ride the Airtrain to Newark Airport Station, and take NJ Transit to New York Penn Station. This could take an hour+ if you don't make good connections.

For an out-of-towner the Secaucus Junction option is the easiest because it is right at exit 15X on the NJ Turnpike. All you have to do is be sure you get on the eastern spur of the NJ Turnpike by following the Lincoln Tunnel signs. Journal Square and Grove St are a bit more complicated to find and involve driving local streets in Jersey City.

The park/sleep/cruise options that we recommend at EWR are the Ramada through Trinityreservations.com, Country Inns, and Embassy Suites. Trinity is $207 tax included for your date. The other two are more expensive.

What route are you coming in on from Ohio? Staying about an hour out on Fri night is a good strategy.

On Sat I would consider driving to Journal Square Transportation Center or Grove St on PATH to take advantage of PATH to either midtown or downtown for $2.75/pp each way. Parking should be less than $15. If you're going to be just in midtown NY, you should park at Secaucus Junction and taking the NJ transit train to NY Penn Station. Parking for under 12 hours on a Sat should be $10. Train fare is $4.25/pp each way.

IMO it's not a good strategy to drive to the hotel to park because you will spend a lot of time and pay $26/pp for a round trip to NYC. From the hotel you would have to take the hotel shuttle to the P4 Airtrain station, ride the Airtrain to Newark Airport Station, and take NJ Transit to New York Penn Station. This could take an hour+ if you don't make good connections.

For an out-of-towner the Secaucus Junction option is the easiest because it is right at exit 15X on the NJ Turnpike. All you have to do is be sure you get on the eastern spur of the NJ Turnpike by following the Lincoln Tunnel signs. Journal Square and Grove St are a bit more complicated to find and involve driving local streets in Jersey City.

Thank you for the advice! We will be driving over on Rt 78. Looking at a map, it seems that getting to exit 15X (NJ Turnpike is Rt 95, yes?) would be easy enough. I'm not 100% sure of our plans for NYC yet. Too much to do for one day! The things on our short list are: Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, and Metropolitan Museum of Art. I'm hoping we can pick two of these three items--I'm leaning toward Statue of Liberty and the MET at the moment.

Do you have a recommendation for an area to stay in that is about an hour away? Maybe a suburb of Newark?

I appreciate the information!

Thank you for the advice! We will be driving over on Rt 78. Looking at a map, it seems that getting to exit 15X (NJ Turnpike is Rt 95, yes?) would be easy enough. I'm not 100% sure of our plans for NYC yet. Too much to do for one day! The things on our short list are: Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, and Metropolitan Museum of Art. I'm hoping we can pick two of these three items--I'm leaning toward Statue of Liberty and the MET at the moment.

Do you have a recommendation for an area to stay in that is about an hour away? Maybe a suburb of Newark?

I appreciate the information!

You might want to follow this thread for a place to stay on I78 - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2401230

My advice would be entirely different for the SOL and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. You would drive to Liberty State Park, pay the $7 to park, go to the SOL, return to Manhattan, take the #4 or 5 train to 59th St, and change to the #6 local to 86th St to walk to the Met. To get back you reverse the trip - #6 to 59th and #4 or 5 to Fulton St. Walk west to the World Financial Center ferry terminal to return to Liberty State Park - http://www.libertylandingferry.com/littlelady-stops.aspx. Ferry fare is $5 with the SOL ticket stub.

Refresh my memory - what day of the week are you doing this? You have to be careful about not missing the last ferry back to Liberty State Park.