Stopping in open water

dkc1973

My brother says a friend of his went on a cruise where they stopped in the ocean and let folks swim, play on inflatable toys and jet ski.

Anyone know if this is true for any line? I can't find a google answer on this.

My brother says a friend of his went on a cruise where they stopped in the ocean and let folks swim, play on inflatable toys and jet ski.

Anyone know if this is true for any line? I can't find a google answer on this.

Windstar has ships (yachts) with water sports platforms and water sporting equipment. They now have six yachts including three recently acquired from Seabourn. The passenger capacity is from 148 to a max of 310.

And yes, when the seas are calm and it fits the schedule, they open the platform for guests to play.

... On cruiseships, they do everything in their power to keep folks OUT of the ocean!!!!

... and for the most part do a pretty good job of that too!

Edited by Treven

I've done a couple of WINDSTAR's and they only opened the platform was when anchored at a tending port . . .

While opening it on a flat a** calm day in open water would not be impossible ... for the most part a cruise has an itinerary with little slack time. So unless the particular cruise has a sea day where they make holes in the ocean (sail in circles to kill time) they can't really stop and do this without increasing speed, and fuel consumption, on the back side.

On my Commands, we did do open ocean swim calls ... and there are many concerns. Some ship systems must be shut off to control INTAKE ports and DISCHARGES that happen all the time. And you (as Master/Captain) need to be concerned about safety from the perspectives of "marine life". In other words, we had a shark watch AND a boat in the water for safety.