Is whale watching a gimmick?

Skadi

I hope this question isn't too dumb......

We're going in June and have signed up for a whale watch. Clearly it's going to be wet. We have waterproof jackets, boots and gloves. Should we just wear jeans? Thanks!

We have been out twice in one of the small "6-pack" boats that Harv and Marv uses. Both times it's been nice weather, and we haven't gotten wet at all. Obviously if it's raining that changes unless you want to stay in the cabin the whole time. If it was raining you might want some water-proof pants to put on over the top of jeans, but I agree that the most important thing is layers. We've been fine in sweat-shirts or a light jacket, but it is very dependent on the weather.

• 3 weeks later...
.....It just seems like a gamble. I mean, it's not like they lure the whales to the boat with fish treats, right? Am I being totally pessimistic?
You are right, and it is a gamble. If you book a whale watching excursion at either Juneau or Icy Strait Point, you can be almost 100% certain that you will see humpbacks.

But how happy you will be will have a lot to do with

(1) Sheer luck

and

(2) Level of expectation

Through the years we have taken whale watching tours at both Juneau and Icy Strait Point. We have never failed to see humpbacks at both.

On some trips we have seen orcas as well.

It is easy for the tour vendors to promise you another free tour or a refund if they fail to show you a whale because they know it is extremely unlikely that they will need to make good on that promise.

The reality is that on some trips the whales will come in much closer to your boat and/or be much more active than at other times.

People look at those great photos and videos of humpbacks breeching and bubble net feeding, so some go out on a whale watching tour expecting that is what they will see and return disappointed if they don't.

For every one of those wonderful closeup shots that are posted, there are probably about 100 shots of small black dots in the distance that get deleted.

There is no denying that whale watching tours in Alaska are expensive.

If you go to Maui in winter, you can take 3 or 4 whale watching excursions there and see the humpbacks for about the price of one excursion in Alaska.

You can also see greater concentrations of humpbacks much closer to shore in Maui.

But knowing that still does not stop us from paying to go out whale watching when we are in Alaska as well.

Hi guys, many yrs ago in 1994, when I was on the Nordic Prince in Alaska, had the camera with me, and was moseyn up towards the front of the ship, when a whale breeched in front of me, all I could do was watch,:eek: couldn't get the camera to go:( It was wow, no one else saw it but me, an whoever was on the bridge.

Added information.

Normal sightings of humpbacks will involve blows, back and flukes. Expect nothing more. In the over 15 years I've been whale watching out of Alaska, I have never heard of any of the "guarantee" payouts. :) It's just about a given with the vendor's, all they have to do, is a go around of Shelter Island, and they'll find humpbacks. Despite the claims, that "all" the boats go to the same place, it's false. Some will, but there are some vendors who have faster boats and can get farther, some who prefer to be at alternative areas. Humpbacks are NOT pod animals, they are individuals. The chance groups for bubble net feeding, seem to be matriarch led with special invitations. :) I've seen, several times, the cast offs, by themselves, sometimes acting up, it seems. :) Last year, I actually stayed out for a second trip due to a group of about 15 humpbacks bubble netting. This is a big plus to see, but overall is rare. I went out 7 times out of Juneau last year. Yes I've seen a lot of varied behaviors, but overall the views are what I first list above.

I also view in Hawaii every year. I've seen humpbacks from all the main islands, so it isn't just Maui. The behaviors are completely different. When I'm there, I go out on multiple whale watches, along with shore line viewing, every day.

Finally,, I go out of Gloucester the most, at least 10 times every year. I go out every day, usually both trips, my vendor does per day. Yes, I do get a nice discount. :)

My first humpback was seen off the Baja coast in 1986.

for orcas, I've had multiple sightings in Alaska but spend considerable time on Vancouver Island. I greatly prefer Northern Vancouver Island, and taking tours out of Telegraph Cove and Port Hardy. I don't get there enough. On Vancouver Island, I always make sure I have multiple days, as the sightings aren't on all tours.

I do, also see plenty of whales from the cruise ship. I do know the probable areas, and spend a great deal of time viewing. Wide angle binoculars are necessary, in my opinion. But, I also am always on whale watch tours. My priority for my visits.

So, for those who have the interest, pony up for tours and enjoy. :)

Wonderful insights by all. Even if we don't see a whale it will still be a glorious day on the water. Our expectations are that nature is on its own time table & we hope we're lucky enough to be in sync with that.

We really appreciate all the helpful info!

But our last cruise to Alaska, we were on a sea otter/eagle watch excursion when the captain announced there were four Orcas on the starboard side. It was rough water, rainy and foggy, but we did see the adult's 14 foot tall fin, three spray's and two breeches. The captain and crew were just as excited as we were. He said it had been two years since he'd seen an Orca.

Leaving Ketchikan and heading to Victoria, we were cruising the inside passage and had humpback "junior's" playing on the starboard side and sometimes in front of the ship. They stayed with us almost 30 minutes. It was exciting to watch. You just never know when, where or if you will see the wildlife.

Good luck. I hope you have plenty of sightings.

Gloria

Three Alaska cruises, four whale watches, four awesome experiences. Three were in Juneau, and one was in Victoria.

On the second one, I was shooting with a 400mm lens that has a minimum focus distance of 18' I think, and the orcas got so close I was afraid I wouldn't be able to focus. It's real, folks. Cruise-2012-BAC

I can tell you we've done Alaska twice and both times the whale watching has been one of the highlights. The trip out of Juneau is the best and you will normally always see some. The first trip we not only had many Humpbacks but also a couple of rogue Orca's. Harv and Marv had on of their small boats out there and one of the Orca's surfaced right by their boat and the dorsal fin of the Orca was higher than their boat! This last trip we had several Humpbacks Thrust Feeding which is really incredible to see as they rise up out of the water with their huge mouths wide open. I agree there are more whales in a concentrated area in Hawaii (between Maui and Lanai) but the backdrop of Alaska makes this a truly special experience. I hope you'll give it a try

Cheers, Kenn

PS that was a great video posted just before me!

But our last cruise to Alaska, we were on a sea otter/eagle watch excursion when the captain announced there were four Orcas on the starboard side. It was rough water, rainy and foggy, but we did see the adult's 14 foot tall fin, three spray's and two breeches. The captain and crew were just as excited as we were. He said it had been two years since he'd seen an Orca.

Leaving Ketchikan and heading to Victoria, we were cruising the inside passage and had humpback "junior's" playing on the starboard side and sometimes in front of the ship. They stayed with us almost 30 minutes. It was exciting to watch. You just never know when, where or if you will see the wildlife.

Good luck. I hope you have plenty of sightings.

Gloria

For clairfication- you are referring to passing by several humpbacks whales? Between Ketchikan and Victoria is mostly open ocean. Humpbacks are seen in large numbers in May when migrating, but that is over by June.

If you are referring to a single whale, "playing" AND staying with the ship then if was NOT a humpback. Sightings of humpbacks are going to be a minute or two, AT MOST, as the ship sails past. There aren't any humpbacks that can go as fast as a cruise ship.

What you describe, is likely Pacific White sided dolphins, or possible dalls porpoises (which is less likely due to them, liking faster ships, to stay with any length of time).