the upgrade fairy.. yes she/he is real!

melb1988

hi all!

just thought id let everyone know of my experience with the upgrade fairy since making my booking on QM2 departing next week.

I made the booking back in october. I first booked a gaurentee britannia balcony stateroom at a 30% off special rate. I was allocated almost immdeiately a fronted balcony, I cannot remember what category this exactly is but it was the level just below Britannia club. we were happy with this.

Come december i received an email from my travel agent stating that we had been upgraded to a P2 princess grill suite, which shocked us with excitment!

Today, i log into my voyage personalizer to print my tickets as we depart next week and I see that we have been further upgraded to a Queens Grill Q5 suite!

must admit, i nearly fell off the chair when i saw this! I'm am so happy and excited! Ive never travelled QG and cannot wait!

I just thought id give some inspiration to those who think the upgrade fairy will never cross their paths. I was ONCE one of those people :)

hi all!

just thought id let everyone know of my experience with the upgrade fairy since making my booking on QM2 departing next week.

I made the booking back in october. I first booked a gaurentee britannia balcony stateroom at a 30% off special rate. I was allocated almost immdeiately a fronted balcony, I cannot remember what category this exactly is but it was the level just below Britannia club. we were happy with this.

Come december i received an email from my travel agent stating that we had been upgraded to a P2 princess grill suite, which shocked us with excitment!

Today, i log into my voyage personalizer to print my tickets as we depart next week and I see that we have been further upgraded to a Queens Grill Q5 suite!

must admit, i nearly fell off the chair when i saw this! I'm am so happy and excited! Ive never travelled QG and cannot wait!

I just thought id give some inspiration to those who think the upgrade fairy will never cross their paths. I was ONCE one of those people :)

Did you book a guaranteed cabin in the hope of an upgrade? Just curious.

We had a double upgrade on our December 2014 crossing from an inside cabin to a restricted view balcony. Could still see the sea and couldn't have been happier. Trouble now is that having tasted 'the outside life', how can I go back to an inside cabin ;)

Did you book a guaranteed cabin in the hope of an upgrade? Just curious.

We had a double upgrade on our December 2014 crossing from an inside cabin to a restricted view balcony. Could still see the sea and couldn't have been happier. Trouble now is that having tasted 'the outside life', how can I go back to an inside cabin ;)

I guess you could say I booked Gaurentee in hope of an upgrade.. Well I don't know if hope is the right word, I've never really cared for 'catergories' as I don't mind what position of the ship my room is as long as it's the type of room I requested or better and I guess I've always felt (this may not be true) but booking Gaurentee gives you a better chance of being upgraded, only because in my experience Ive never received the category I've gaurenteed in, always a higher category but like I've said I don't mind where the room is located exactly and I don't believe in paying more for the same room but in a supposed better position. Eg: never would I pay $4000 for a britannia balcony in the middle of the ship when I could have an aft/foreward portioned one for $2000. But that's just my opinion as movement of the ship doesn't bother me. But it is nice when you do pay X amount of dollars and you receive something that would have cost you more. Who doesn't like that!?

But being bumped up from

Britannia to Queens is amazing! A complete room change to say the least.

They have got you now!! When you have sampled your QG suite and especially the QG dining you will not want to return to Britannia - as good as that can be.

Have a great time and enjoy.

They have got you now!! When you have sampled your QG suite and especially the QG dining you will not want to return to Britannia - as good as that can be.

This is so true. We were upgraded from P1 to Q5 last year on QM2. Having a butler took some getting used to, but made the voyage quite memorable.

We are booked in P1 again this year on QV. Hoping for a repeat experience.

Does anyone know the upgrade algorithm used by Cunard? Or is it a closely-guarded secret?

I guess you could say I booked Gaurentee in hope of an upgrade.. Well I don't know if hope is the right word, I've never really cared for 'catergories' as I don't mind what position of the ship my room is as long as it's the type of room I requested or better and I guess I've always felt (this may not be true) but booking Gaurentee gives you a better chance of being upgraded, only because in my experience Ive never received the category I've gaurenteed in, always a higher category but like I've said I don't mind where the room is located exactly and I don't believe in paying more for the same room but in a supposed better position. Eg: never would I pay $4000 for a britannia balcony in the middle of the ship when I could have an aft/foreward portioned one for $2000. But that's just my opinion as movement of the ship doesn't bother me. But it is nice when you do pay X amount of dollars and you receive something that would have cost you more. Who doesn't like that!?

But being bumped up from

Three actually.

Thanks everyone I am very excited!

I have been in the grills before but it was princess.

So looking foreward to seeing how QG compares!

I will have to write a review for you all!

When I logged into the voyage personalizer it only stated the new room number and said (Queens Grill) so then I had a frantic rush to quickly bring up the deck plans so I could see what catergory the room was as it could have even been a Q1,2,3,4 for all I knew! I love a good thrill like that and certainly didn't expect such a suprise when logging in.

When I logged into the voyage personalizer it only stated the new room number and said (Queens Grill) so then I had a frantic rush to quickly bring up the deck plans so I could see what catergory the room was as it could have even been a Q1,2,3,4 for all I knew! I love a good thrill like that and certainly didn't expect such a suprise when logging in.

wow great score! and Im sure it sent everyone who had a booking to go and check theirs!

have a really incredible trip

Have a great time and enjoy.

I liked QG dining - the service was terrific. But I do think the butler service is overrated.

Having experienced a Q1 I was worried I'd find it hard to go back. But I actually was quite happy in my BE balcony on QE post Q1 QM2. I found Britannia restaurant on QE just as good (granted the food wasn't as fancy, but it will still terrific). Plus, if I want fine dining, the specialty restaurant (at least on QE) is perfectly adequate.

Just being on a ship makes me happy.

Perhaps if I ever dared cruise with someone I'd consider Booking Grills again. Otherwise, I'd rather use that money to go on more cruises :) (which I'm doing with 32 Cunard days lined up).

That said, I hope the upgrade fairy is as generous to me as melb1988! I've got a guarantee inside booked for the beginning TA of QM2s WC next year. If they need to bump me up, I'd be willing to accept a Q1 again - sans awkward butler.

It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

I liked QG dining - the service was terrific. But I do think the butler service is overrated.

Having experienced a Q1 I was worried I'd find it hard to go back. But I actually was quite happy in my BE balcony on QE post Q1 QM2. I found Britannia restaurant on QE just as good (granted the food wasn't as fancy, but it will still terrific). Plus, if I want fine dining, the specialty restaurant (at least on QE) is perfectly adequate.

Just being on a ship makes me happy.

Perhaps if I ever dared cruise with someone I'd consider Booking Grills again. Otherwise, I'd rather use that money to go on more cruises :) (which I'm doing with 32 Cunard days lined up).

That said, I hope the upgrade fairy is as generous to me as melb1988! I've got a guarantee inside booked for the beginning TA of QM2s WC next year. If they need to bump me up, I'd be willing to accept a Q1 again - sans awkward butler.

It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Do tell of your experiences with the Butler!? I'm also feeling it may be an overrated service but keen to see what it's all about :)

Do tell of your experiences with the Butler!? I'm also feeling it may be an overrated service but keen to see what it's all about :)

He was rather dull, lacked humour. He also seemed superfluous. A valet would have been of more use than a glorified steward (who seemed to do most of the work).

Do feel free to venture off menu, if there's an item you'd really like. It may take a day to prepare.

Do feel free to venture off menu, if there's an item you'd really like. It may take a day to prepare.

Funny you mention this as I have been trying to think of something to ask them to make! (Just because I can so why not at least once)

still haven't thought of anything hahaha

What's everyone's view on tipping in regards to currency!? Should you exchange some cash to USD before boarding or just tip in your own countries currency and let the staff member do the exchange?

Interested in all your thoughts on this!

What's everyone's view on tipping in regards to currency!? Should you exchange some cash to USD before boarding or just tip in your own countries currency and let the staff member do the exchange?

Interested in all your thoughts on this!

Quite honestly they will accept any currency you give them.

andhow

• 3 months later...

Those Q5 suites look really nice on QM2, I think a Penthouse would be my top choice as a solo traveller (aft suite as a couple) - but the Q5 would be really nice.

One problem (without an upgrade of course) - I'm in a balcony cabin for $2,100 and the Q5 would be $12,400 on the same crossing - there is absolutely no way I could justify an additional $10,000 no matter how good QG is.

Put another way I could do 6 balcony crossings for just one Q5 crossing.