How to get from Charles DeGaulle to hotel in Paris

snookie1

So we finally decided on a hotel for our 6-night stay in Paris prior to our Viking cruise in November. We will be staying at the Hotel Beaubourg in the Marais. Now I need to figure out how we will get there from the airport. The hotel says they don't have a shuttle from CDG to the hotel (they have too much trouble finding people). They suggest taking the RER train. I am hesitant to do that, since that will mean we have to walk a couple of blocks with our suitcases. They also say a taxi costs about 50 euros. Kind of steep, I think. I think I read somewhere that there is an Air France shuttle from the airport to some (?) hotels. Is anyone familiar with that? How can I find if our hotel is one they go to? Does anyone know what that costs? Where and how do you arrange for that? Or are there any other options? Thanks in advance!

The hotel is probably giving you the best advice re: taking the RER. It's about (E)9 and change per ticket. I think that (E)50 for a taxi is more likely to be an underestimate of what you'd pay. If you exit at Chatelet-Les Halles, it will be less than 1/2 mile to your hotel.

Here is a link to the AF buses. http://en.lescarsairfrance.com/At first glance they don't seem as convenient as the RER. You'd have to take the one to Gare de Lyon, then cab or Metro back towards your hotel. In the amount of time you'd waste on the bus, and connecting to the Metro or a cab, you could walk to your hotel from the RER several times over.

My guess is that if one of the shuttle buses were convenient to your hotel, they would have told you about it as another option. So it probably isn't very useful to you, but you can ask them again specifically about the shuttle bus...

There is supposedly a shuttle service that you could book that would get you closer to your hotel; maybe even door to door. Look here: http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common/resainfovol/achat/transfert_aeroport.htm and at the bottom of the page there is a place to click for more information. No guarantees that it would be much cheaper than a cab but perhaps. We've taken these types of shuttles in the past in London and they can be slow as molasses, because they have to make a bunch of stops along the way.

NB: we have never taken any of these buses or shuttles; we always take the RER and walk. It's fast, convenient, and relatively cheap for the two of us. And it forces us to pack light! One rollaboard 21-22" case each. If it won't fit, oh well!

Edited by jpalbny

Yes, sometimes taking the cab is WORTH it! If you are tired after a long flight and didn't sleep, then taking a cab and not having to worry about lugging your luggage across uneven streets, etc then taking a cab or prearranged transport is certainly worth the money!

Two years ago in Paris we took a taxi from CDG to our hotel near the St. Michel metro stop, and it cost us 90E. There was alot of traffic. Last year we stayed at an airport hotel and took the bus in one day and the RER the next day, but that was without luggage. But yes, bus and RER are certainly the cheapest way. It looks like super shuttle is now in Paris....google it and see if that would work for you.

Yes, sometimes taking the cab is WORTH it! If you are tired after a long flight and didn't sleep, then taking a cab and not having to worry about lugging your luggage across uneven streets, etc then taking a cab or prearranged transport is certainly worth the money!

IF this is your first time and Paris and you had an overnight flight you will be much better served taking the taxi or private transport….although we go to paris every year, we use a service to take us into the city.Yes its 80 euros but it is the best money we will spend Personnally i would NEVER recommend the other options for first time visitors…After you get the lay of the land, sure…. but not the first time…also check the Paris forum on trip advisor to help convince you …

have a safe journey

I will weigh in with a slightly different opinion. Our first trip to Paris we hired a private service as we thought it would be easier since we were unfamiliar with the city. It turned out to be a nightmare as the instructions as to where to meet the car were not clear and we wandered around the airport for nearly an hour. We ended up calling the company and finally made connections with our car.

On our second trip we decided to play it by ear and take a taxi if we were completely wiped out after the flight or take the RER if we felt up to it. We were feeling pretty good when we arrived so we decided to try the RER. It was a breeze and very inexpensive. If you do this, however, I would recommend that you do some research on Trip Advisor or Cruise Critic to determine whether or not there are escalators or elevators at the station you will be getting off at. We got off at the station right next to Notre Dame and learned advance which exit from the station had escalators up to the street level--a real life saver with luggage. The walk to our hotel was only two or three blocks and was easy even with luggage.

IF this is your first time and Paris and you had an overnight flight you will be much better served taking the taxi or private transport….although we go to paris every year, we use a service to take us into the city.Yes its 80 euros but it is the best money we will spend Personnally i would NEVER recommend the other options for first time visitors…After you get the lay of the land, sure…. but not the first time…also check the Paris forum on trip advisor to help convince you …

have a safe journey

This sounds like great advice. I have looked into the public transit trip--RER and then Metro looks sensible. But when we're travelling, we tend to take cabs, so I doubt we'll stint ourselves this time. Perhaps when we leave Paris we'll do it the cheaper way.

Thank you all for your advice. I am concerned about schlepping even a few blocks from the RER to our hotel with a large and a small suitcase each (I just can't fit enough warm clothes for 2 weeks into a small suitcase!). I did check the Air France bus, which does not get us close to our hotel at all. But it looks like the Super Shuttle might -- although it is not clear to me if it takes you right to your hotel. It looks like the price for this is 43euros for the 2 of us. That is better than a cab. I'm liking that option best.

We rented an apartment in Paris in Nov 2012. I had read unfortunate reviews of the Super Shuttle (either flyertalk or tripadvisor or both) so I didn't want to use that. Our apartment rental service recommended "Global Transfer Service" and we were very happy with the service. 75E each way for up to 4 people plus luggage (and, because it's a private car service, they'll wait for you outside customs - no queue for the taxi)

http://www.francetaxireservations.com/

I don't have a problem taking trains (or taxis) and have done both, depending on where and how I'm traveling. So I'm just adding this option to your choices:p

have a safe journey

for a first timer i too recommend a car service. Your hotel can arrange it for you so it will be a company that they know and they will know your hotel.

And now a bit of a hijack... snookie..you do NOT need one small and one large suitcase...each..for a 2 wk trip in Nov. We each .and many others here will join in and agree...travel with one wheeled carry on ONLY plus our one personal item,which is my large purse and hubby a laptop bag.

We did 8 days over New Years on the danube in below freezing temps and were fine. We wore layers, I took scarves and costume jewelry to accessorize, we wore our boots and heavy coats with mitts and toques tucked in the pockets and stick with neutral colors. A bit of liquid laundry soup to rinse out undies and socks and you are good to go. It is liberating.

for a first timer i too recommend a car service. Your hotel can arrange it for you so it will be a company that they know and they will know your hotel.

And now a bit of a hijack... snookie..you do NOT need one small and one large suitcase...each..for a 2 wk trip in Nov. We each .and many others here will join in and agree...travel with one wheeled carry on ONLY plus our one personal item,which is my large purse and hubby a laptop bag.

We did 8 days over New Years on the danube in below freezing temps and were fine. We wore layers, I took scarves and costume jewelry to accessorize, we wore our boots and heavy coats with mitts and toques tucked in the pockets and stick with neutral colors. A bit of liquid laundry soup to rinse out undies and socks and you are good to go. It is liberating.

It really depends upon your comfort level with the unknown, and whether you are OK handling your luggage. Plus, if you don't get any sleep on the plane and are a zombie upon arrival, it might be a more daunting prospect.

Re: packing, you certainly CAN cut down substantially on what you bring. We have, over the years, learned how to do this and can usually get down to 2 carry-on size rollaboards for a 2-week trip. But when we were starting out, we would overpack terribly. Our packing list used to resemble the OP's inventory of suitcases. It takes time and experience to figure out that you don't need to bring nearly as much stuff as you'd think.

remydiva is right on with her recommendations for getting more use out of a smaller volume of packed clothes - layers, and at most, two color schemes. Black and/or neutral. If colder weather, black predominates. If warmer weather, neutral and save the black scheme for dressier outfits. I can get away with 1 pair of shoes which I wear on the plane, and Chris 2. We throw in a pair of dance shoes each, as they are dressy, compact, and are perfect to wear around the ship. It's awesome to lug around so little stuff.

Since OP wants to bring more luggage, the RER is probably not a good choice for her, but I would respectfully disagree that a first-timer shouldn't try it. We were first-timers in Paris once, and lived to tell the tale...

The RER is well-marked, an easy walk from within CDG, and you can't really get on the wrong train as ALL of the B-lines leaving CDG go to the center of Paris. There are luggage racks on the train and it's a platform-level entry (no steps) to get in the cars. Most trains that serve European airports realize that people will have luggage and most of them are easy to negotiate with said luggage. You can wheel your bag from the gate, all the way to the train car, without ever having to lift it up.

The ticket machines (unattended kiosks) are a snap to use and they even have a button to push that is a shortcut to buy a one-way ticket from CDG to the center of Paris. And they take chip and signature cards. I have used my US chip and signature cards for several years to buy tickets, without ever having an issue. There are also video tutorials available on-line that teach you how to use the machines.

We use public transport (rail, rarely buses) almost exclusively whenever we are in Europe. I research it online before we go, so I know what to expect. The more you do it, the more comfortable and confident you will be. But it is definitely easier with less luggage.

So, there is really nothing to be afraid of. But, there is no shame in being nervous about it, and there are lots of other options available if your mind is not firing on all cylinders after the red-eye. It takes a lot of effort, and some advance planning, to be comfortable using public transportation and you may not want to bother with it. For a perfect example, my sister met us in Paris this past December when she had a long layover at CDG. I couldn't convince her to use the RER, so she taxied both ways to meet us. Good thing we weren't paying! ;)

When you're ready to try the RER, it will still be there. :) Just be sure to get on the proper one when you're leaving the center of Paris for the airport, because not all B-line trains leaving Paris go to the airport. And stay on the train until the end of the line for T2 at CDG.

Edited by jpalbny

It also depends on your party size. Just two of you?

First time in Paris, I was by myself, so RER was easy. Second time with DW (her first time in Paris), so used the shuttle. 3rd Time with the family was 4 of us total, so private transfer made more sense.

Well JP and Chris, you make the RER sound very feasible. We too love using public transportation, but getting a cab to and from the airport is a treat for us, just another little luxury. But if we manage to do carry-on only, I think we'll probably try to RER, then take a cab to the hotel from there, instead of the Metro (the notorious stairs with no escalators or elevators.)

But I know about the nervousness of striking out on your own. Now, having mastered subway systems in Lisbon, Porto, Barcelona, London, New York and Singapore, as well as being a city person, it's no big deal for me. It's just about that luggage, stairs, jetlag, ... What I have trouble with is city buses--routes are always weird, and it's tough to figure out where you're going to end up!

As for the carry-on situation, not sure we'll manage it this trip--4 days in Paris, then 10 days in Egypt. Cool fall weather, then hot fall weather, tramping around pyramids.

Oh, also on the subject of packing, any suggestions about how to look a bit chic in Paris with a carry-on only, and a senior citizen to boot? I'm thinking colourful scarves and black for Paris, not exactly right for Egypt, which will most be beige I'm thinking.

Oh, also on the subject of packing, any suggestions about how to look a bit chic in Paris with a carry-on only, and a senior citizen to boot? I'm thinking colourful scarves and black for Paris, not exactly right for Egypt, which will most be beige I'm thinking.

Yes Wendy scarves are the answer to looking and feeling a bit Parisienne...if your french accent from high school is like mine, they will know you are a tourist!

And BIG scarves and for hubby too ( not that mine would wear one).

I don't think black is necessarily true for Paris. i wore beige capris, skirts and slacks with brighter tops and scarves and felt suitably dressed. We Canadians tend to have too much black in our closet as a staple to get thru the winter months.

Years ago you never saw jeans on the paris streets but now you do but we don't wear jeans anyways and certainly wouldn't suggest traveling with them due to weight and bulk.

And scarves are easy to pack and if you don't have enough, easy to find to buy more in Paris ( wear them then bring back as gifts if you really want to be thrifty and smart)

Edited by remydiva

As for the carry-on situation, not sure we'll manage it this trip--4 days in Paris, then 10 days in Egypt. Cool fall weather, then hot fall weather, tramping around pyramids.

Since you are traveling in fall, I think black as your main color is perfect! Scarves are definitely a staple in Paris. I find light colors to be both impractical and limiting for travel.

I wore black leggings with long sweaters and skinny jeans for my fall trip last year and blended in perfectly for both Paris and day time touring. On the boat, I wore black slacks paired with a variety of tops and sweaters. I always pack one dress and for fall, it is a fitted black sweater dress. I can dress it up or down and I get a lot of wears out of it.

Parisians dress for the season more than the weather as do most fashion conscious cultures.

For my Europe trips, I build a mix and match wardrobe with layers and based on black and one main other color. I like to travel light and look smart.

Edited by caviargal

I'm glad that several who are more qualified offered you some fashion advice. Take a look at any of our trip reports, and you'll understand not to ask me about that. Maybe if Chris were posting... :)

Chris brought some nice scarves to Paris when we were there over Christmas. I thought she/they looked very nice. We both wore black jeans with different tops; some more colorful than others. But it mattered little in December as they were mostly covered by our coats!

IMO you've already taken care of the hardest part of using the RER, and that is having a Chip CC. You're from Canada - I assume it's chip and PIN, and works flawlessly in Europe? That is such a pain for those of us who are stuck with American CCs. But if you can use the unattended kiosks to buy tickets it's a piece of cake.

We used Blacklane Limousines. I found it after lots of research & it had good reviews. It was 96 euro for our group (4 women w/lots of luggage). The driver was waiting with a sign & took our bags to a luxury SUV. Tip was included, but since I kind of messed up the port destination he had to drive us around a lot...oops! We gave him a few extra $.

If you are interested, I get follow-up e-mails offering a discount for new passengers. Only about $10, but it's there if you want it.

Happy Sails,

Nancy

Wow, what a lot of good advice! I am afraid I would not be any good at packing for 2 weeks in a carry- on. I know all of you who recommend that are right, I just enjoy dressing up on vacation too much. And because of skin issues I have creams and lotions that would not all fit in the TSA allotted bags for carry-on. So, maybe, if I really cut back, we could fit it all into two large suitcases (for the 2 of us). But that is still too much to schlepp through the city with from the RER stop. So I thing we will go for the shuttle, though I will do more research on that. But you have all given me a lot to think about! Thanks!

I suggest Super Shuttle as well. It was 27 Euros and well worth it to me. I used them a total of 4 times in November and December last year.

I have used the RER but if you have a heavy bag it can be a pain. Since it was cold I needed more stuff than when it is warmer.

Going into Paris takes more time since they need a full van. They try and pair you up with other people with flights around your arrival time. All four drivers that I had were very nice and I always sat up front since I was always just one person. After a long day and night of travel since I'm coming from Colorado it was so nice being picked up and dropped off in front of my hotel.

As for clothes, most Parisians wear black. The plus to this is you can mix and match so easily. This trip I dressed more European. I carried a nice Dooney and Bourke purse not a backpack, wore black boots, dark jeans, long sleeve tops and a black scarf.

It must have worked because I was constantly being asked in French for directions. I speak very little French and told them so and everyone was surprised I did not speak French. I did help as best I could thou.

I just got a replacement card from Wells Fargo and they are now using the Chip and pin. When I called to activate the card they said it works in most countries outside of the US but you must have a 4 digit pin and if you do not they provided a number to call to set it up.