Uber Port Everglades

BellBoys

We are from Chicago and absolutely love using Uber, we find the drivers to be more courteous, the cars cleaner, and the fares to be lower than a typical cab. We do want to caution anyone using Uber to Port Everglades that the security detail will confiscate the driver's license and ask him to drop you off at the pier and return back. My understanding is that they are fined at that time.

I am not commenting as to why this happening but just want to make fellow cruiser's aware.

I wonder how they know they are Uber drivers. There is nothing on the car to identify them as such, they are the Uber driver's personal cars. I guess the only way they can figure it out is if they are constantly coming through the gates.

Since there is no security gates at the Miami port, I guess there are no issues using them there.

Rather than pay the $20 per day to park our car at the port this Friday, I plan on using Uber to get there for a few dollars and then a taxi back.

Had a similar experience last month in FLL. We requested an UberX ride from Hyatt Pier 66 to the port. The driver clearly hadn't been there before since he didn't know where the port was. Neither of us realized it would be an issue. The sheriff's deputy took his license and gave us a lecture about licensed cab drivers being safer etc. (I tried to listen politely but I think I may have been rolling my eyes). I think the guy was probably fined on the way out - but I know Uber pays the fines for them. The bigger mistake the guy made was pulling into the taxi lane to drop us off. He got an earful from the 'hacks' then too!

Had a similar experience last month in FLL. We requested an UberX ride from Hyatt Pier 66 to the port. The driver clearly hadn't been there before since he didn't know where the port was. Neither of us realized it would be an issue. The sheriff's deputy took his license and gave us a lecture about licensed cab drivers being safer etc. (I tried to listen politely but I think I may have been rolling my eyes). I think the guy was probably fined on the way out - but I know Uber pays the fines for them. The bigger mistake the guy made was pulling into the taxi lane to drop us off. He got an earful from the 'hacks' then too!

How much could you possibly saved by not using a taxi from this hotel? The taxi could not have been more than $15.

How much could you possibly saved by not using a taxi from this hotel? The taxi could not have been more than $15.

Uber is a better service and much nicer than a taxi in my experience. That's why we chose it. It also tends to be cheaper in many markets. I commented here to let people know that cops were hassling the drivers (and passengers to some extent). I would avoid it in the future until the silly 'feud' between Broward County and Uber is resolved.

I have nothing but respect for the police, in fact my wife is a Sheriff's Deputy, but I would have trouble remaining silent for that rant. What a pile of crap. Have you seen most of the taxi drivers around any urban area? They are a scary bunch!

I have nothing but respect for the police, in fact my wife is a Sheriff's Deputy, but I would have trouble remaining silent for that rant. What a pile of crap. Have you seen most of the taxi drivers around any urban area? They are a scary bunch!

I share your view of urban taxi drivers. I was also envisioning the taxi rides we would take in Barbados and St. Maarten and thinking to myself, "this is undoubtedly the safest ride we're going to have in the next 10 days." My wife was unnerved enough by the whole thing that I exercised my right to remain silent. The good news is at the end of that ride we had a 10-day cruise to look forward to!

two ways to look at this

Florida counties are stifling UBER and inhibiting growth because they don't want growth

or

Florida counties are recognizing an effort to side step established regulations for 'shared rides' and will require UBER and the like to follow the laws of the land ... like controlled rates (established in local law) and background checks . . . which UBER says they are immune to.

If you don't like regulation of public services then just open your own phone company, cable TV service, or electric service company . . . or tell your elected officials to dispense with regulations of the like.

two ways to look at this

Florida counties are stifling UBER and inhibiting growth because they don't want growth

or

Florida counties are recognizing an effort to side step established regulations for 'shared rides' and will require UBER and the like to follow the laws of the land ... like controlled rates (established in local law) and background checks . . . which UBER says they are immune to.

If you don't like regulation of public services then just open your own phone company, cable TV service, or electric service company . . . or tell your elected officials to dispense with regulations of the like.

Not sure of the logic there. Because some regulation is good/fine, ALL regulations are good/fine.

I am all for reasonable regulation, but the excuses used for protecting cab companies are just insane. Just look at the taxi stories on this very forum. Scary drivers, screwed on fares, cabbies that drive like maniacs, ECT. Funny thing is if the cabbies just acted like human beings instead of animals circling their prey, Uber would be out of business.

I have yet to hear one valid reason to ban Uber from the airport or port. There are many reasons to not let me start twindaddy electric company.