Gratuities going up...minimally

HoopTroop

Others may want to check this price drop

Everybody should always check their price especially before making the final payment and often also for some time after the final payment date (if not until the cruise).

We just lost about $2000, UDP for four and UBP for two for 11-night cruise because I failed to check prices after final payment - now we are in 50% cancellation period and it's too late (too large penalty) to benefit from the drop.

Edited by Demonyte

I still haven't received the email myself. Perhaps I won't as I have already prepaid for all my upcoming cruises.

If you've prepaid the gratuities, you probably won't get the email.

I currently have three booked. Two were booked via a (US-based) travel agent, one directly with NCL. I prepaid gratuities for the one coming up soonest, which was booked with a TA. No email for that one. I got emails for the other two, which have not been prepaid. The subject line of each email references the specific reservation number.

Edited by Pikaia

My letter also states that if I prepay I will be charged the old fee of $12, but if I pay once on board (nothing about Feb 28th) it will be the increased charge. I don't sail til May 3rd...

It does seem an odd omission. The email as sent out is very open and can surely be taken to mean that the $12 prepay rate will continue forever, so I can only imagine it is an error. It will be interesting to see what they do about it.

I have just received emails for our two future cruises. Same text as others have quoted above -- there is no deadline set for paying in advance and securing the old rates, the email merely says you just have to pre-pay. Whether that's what NCL meant or not, there is no deadline for pre-payment in the email. This may well be another example of folks who cannot clearly communicate in the English language.

As others have noted, the amounts at issue are not substantial; we will pre-pay by the end of February and not get involved in any hassle over whether there's a deadline or not.

As others have noted, the amounts at issue are not substantial

Not unless in a suite. For our group of four going on a 11-night cruise in a suite the difference was ~$130 which is about 25% raise (just paid today $528, onboard it would have been $657,80) - that's one dinner in Cagney's for the group.

Edited by Demonyte

Same text as others have quoted above -- there is no deadline set for paying in advance and securing the old rates, the email merely says you just have to pre-pay. Whether that's what NCL meant or not, there is no deadline for pre-payment in the email. This may well be another example of folks who cannot clearly communicate in the English language.
I think maybe they figured that they couldn't announce this in the middle of February and expect people to act on it by the end of February, so they decided to remove the deadline.

And it's probably also a good idea for them to avoid contradicting the language in the cruise confirmation:

Service Charges:

Norwegian Cruise Line now offers you the ability to pre-pay your Onboard Service Charges of $12 per person per day for guests 3 years and older. Please contact your travel professional to add to your reservation.

I am sure that for the next two years, lots of people will be brandishing this document at the front desk and refusing to pay the extra 95¢, but technically I'm not sure if it actually says how much the service charge is if you wait to pay it on board…

Edited by hawkeyetlse

I received an email from my TA regarding the increase & it definitely states that February 28th, 2015 is the deadline to prepay the DSC for our upcoming cruise to keep the old rates.

Shortly after that I received a generic email from NCL stating that prepaying the DSC for any cruises currently booked or being booked for a sailing after March 1st, 2015 would keep the old rates. No mention of February 28th....

In this case I am going to assume that the TA's email is the one to follow.

I received an email from my TA regarding the increase & it definitely states that February 28th, 2015 is the deadline to prepay the DSC for our upcoming cruise to keep the old rates.

Shortly after that I received a generic email from NCL stating that prepaying the DSC for any cruises currently booked or being booked for a sailing after March 1st, 2015 would keep the old rates. No mention of February 28th....

In this case I am going to assume that the TA's email is the one to follow.

TA's email is based on the same post from NCL that was posted at the beginning of this thread. Since NCL is the source of both, I'd raise h*ll if newer info directly from NCL wouldn't apply (not that I need to, but still).

Given the emails, I suspect that people will be able to argue that it should be $12 if they try to prepay after 28th Feb, but personally, I'd save myself the bother and make sure I do it before that date.

Remember that if you do it over the phone then it is apparently just added to the final payment, rather than you having to pay it now.

I received the two emails, one for each of my upcoming cruises. Both were worded the same and don't mention any time limit for prepaying the DSC for $12. I have since called a contact in Miami Corporate and a supervisor at the call center and heard from each. Both have the same story. If you are booked before the end of this month, you can prepay the DSC at $12 up until cruise time, once on board it is at the new rate.

They also said the intent is to not make this a replacement for the Butler and Concierge tipping that some have done in the past, but to properly differentiate between the levels of service provided to suite guests. The Butler and Concierge still do not participate in the DSC. A $2 per day differential between regular DSC and suite DSC does not seem excessive to me for the level of services provided. If it was going to be adjusted upward anyway, what better time to do it than when normal DSC is increased after almost 5 years.

I did tell them I think the wording of the emails that were sent could have been much clearer and detailed.

We will be in the Haven for the first time. On all our cruises we just have them do the automatic gratuities and then last night give extra to who we think earned it. This time we plan to eat breakfast, lunch and most dinners in the Haven restaurant and a few specialty restaurants. We will not use the MDR or the windjammer at all. Would it be OK to have these gratuities removed and give all and a considerable amount over to the Haven servers, specialty restaurants, room steward, butler and concierge? Thinking why should I give to those that I never used their services. I rather give to those that I used. Asking for advice.

We will be in the Haven for the first time. On all our cruises we just have them do the automatic gratuities and then last night give extra to who we think earned it. This time we plan to eat breakfast, lunch and most dinners in the Haven restaurant and a few specialty restaurants. We will not use the MDR or the windjammer at all. Would it be OK to have these gratuities removed and give all and a considerable amount over to the Haven servers, specialty restaurants, room steward, butler and concierge? Thinking why should I give to those that I never used their services. I rather give to those that I used. Asking for advice.

The DSC covers all wait staff, including the Haven and speciality restaurants. It also includes your room steward, and all the back room staff, who will be doing the same for you as everyone else. I see absolutely no reason to reduce the DSC, even if you do choose to give extra to some people.

The servers in the Haven are included in the service charges monies already. By removing the service charges you are eliminating the behind the scenes people who assist the Haven servers. So, I would suggest leaving your service charges in place and add extra where you see fit.

Email I recieved this morning .. I cant imagain the butler and concierge would ever be included .. They should make that crystal clear... ;)

Norwegian Cruise Line is adjusting its daily service charges, effective for all sailings that depart on or after March 1, 2015.

The new rates are:

$12.95 per person per day for any category up to a mini-suite stateroom

$14.95 per person per day for any suite category

You can choose to pre-pay your service charges at the current rate of $12 per person per day. If charged on board, the new rates will apply.

Norwegian's daily discretionary service charges, which were last adjusted in 2009, make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest service during the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers and behind-the-scenes support staff. Guests who are sailing in Suite categories also receive the services of a concierge, butler and dedicated wait staff.

Sincerely,

Norwegian Cruise Line®

Edited by mpk218

Cant be ... talk about a pay cut ....

I've explained my reasoning on this thread as to why I don't think that argument is correct.

People who currently give a lot more aren't going to suddenly not give anything extra. The people who currently don't give anything will now do so through the DSC. It could even result in an increase.

Basically, we don't know for sure, but the amount in itself doesn't suggest anything either way to me.

According to NCL corporate in MIAMI ( 5 minutes ago). The New DSC does NOT cover the butler and concierge . The wording in the release is confusing and they are in the process of correcting it ..

For what its worth .. ;)

It would certainly be good if they clarify it. Once they do then we will know one way or another.

Edited by KeithJenner

As was pointed out earlier in this thread, the fact that the butler and concierge are even mentioned in this email could be taken to mean that they are now included.

Not my comprehension at all. It merely tells you that since there are extra services that come with suites, (other than larger cabins), they are charging those passengers $2.00 more per day.

Not my comprehension at all. It merely tells you that since there are extra services that come with suites, (other than larger cabins), they are charging those passengers $2.00 more per day.

But if you are paying the extra $2 a day for those things then surely the $2 does cover them. As the things they mention are butler, concierge and suite dining then this would suggest they are covered by the extra tip.

Basically, it's as clear as mud and can be interpreted an a number of ways. I look forward to them clarifying.

According to NCL corporate in MIAMI ( 5 minutes ago). The New DSC does NOT cover the butler and concierge. The wording in the release is confusing and they are in the process of correcting it.

Excellent, though why they couldn't be more clear from the start is baffling... :rolleyes:

The servers in the Haven are included in the service charges monies already. By removing the service charges you are eliminating the behind the scenes people who assist the Haven servers. So, I would suggest leaving your service charges in place and add extra where you see fit.

OK will keep DSC as is, didn't think of staff behind the scenes. That is why I asked for advice not to eliminate anyone who should receive. We will then give additional to Haven staff, butler and concierge and as always, extra to specialty restaurants.

Excellent, though why they couldn't be more clear from the start is baffling... :rolleyes:

It's NCL making an announcement. I think there's a law that says they have to give us on Cruise Critic at least two days of speculation before they clear things up for us. :)