daily service charge

megann831

Does NCL allow you to turn off DSC, yes or no? Yes.

So, no proof then.

NCL state that you can adjust the DSC if you have an unresolved service issue. I've asked you twice now to show where they give removing it so that you can tip individually as an option, and you appear unable to show me where they do.

It's starting to look to me like in this case it isn't just that you can't provide proof, but that you are just plain wrong.

Is the increase designed to increase their revenue and EPS? (correlated with the interview by the new CEO). I would hope all of the extra $.95 gets allocated to the workers.

I am not sure how it gets allocated and have no control over that so make sure to tip my room person, servers in restaurants and add a tip on if I get a iced coffee.

What's next? I heard Bowling might go up to $5.95 a game as well.

Who knows? They might start charging for pool tags as well.

Everyone has done a good enough job explaining how she is stiffing a lot of people by doing this. I guarantee that she fully understands what she is being told. She knows very well that she is taking money out of the hands of the majority of the crew. She just doesn't care, and there is nothing anyone can say or do to make her care. Pointless to debate it any more.

Did all of the behind the scenes workers work for free in the past? Or did the company just decide with the invention of DSC they no longer needed to pay them?

Maybe.....just maybe.......in the past when we all left envelopes those people 'tipped out' the behind the scenes people.

Harriet

The people that serve us directly get paid a cash tip directly. I'm not sure why that is so bad when even 5 years ago it was totally normal, expected, and traditional for generations. When I go to a restaurant I tip people that provide us service; wait staff and valets. I don't tip the dishwashers or the kitchen staff. They are not interacting with guests. It's not as if I plan to remove DSC so we can save a bit of money on our vacation. I'm going to give those that provide us services cash, then they can do with it how they please without any company interference. Maybe instead of being a bully in every thread you could engage in a discussion. You may have valuable insight to add or you may learn something new.

<giggle> :rolleyes:

Everyone has done a good enough job explaining how she is stiffing a lot of people by doing this. I guarantee that she fully understands what she is being told. She knows very well that she is taking money out of the hands of the majority of the crew. She just doesn't care, and there is nothing anyone can say or do to make her care. Pointless to debate it any more.

Agreed! :)

It DID irritate me that our children's mandatory gratuity was the same as ours. A plate of mac and cheese and a juice versus a surf/turf dinner with a couple of glasses of wine do NOT warrant and equal gratuity. That being said, it all washed in the end. We would have tipped more for ours, less for theirs.

Ok - I'm confused. I've cruised several times before but this is my first on NCL. We will have 2 rooms for hubby, myself and kids ages 9, 6 and 3. And as context, I spent MANY years as first a hostess, then a waitress in HS and college - - so I certainly get living on tips.

On past cruises (RC, Carnival), I always did my own tipping - no auto charge for service fee. We often put a DND sign on the room so it not usually cleaned each day. Breakfast is a buffet, lunch is a buffet or the hamburger stand and so the main reason I'm tipping is dinner service. So for my family of 5, $65 seems very excessive.

Does NCL allow you to turn off DSC, yes or no? Yes.

Actually - they do not allow you to "turn it off"!

You can ask to have it reduced if you feel service was unsatisfactory.

There is a HUGE difference in those 2 things, even though some will argue that one relates to the other.

Actually - they do not allow you to "turn it off"!

You can ask to have it reduced if you feel service was unsatisfactory.

There is a HUGE difference in those 2 things, even though some will argue that one relates to the other.

Can you, or can you not, at your discretion ask that this service charge modified? NCL says you may do so.

Ok - I'm confused. I've cruised several times before but this is my first on NCL. We will have 2 rooms for hubby, myself and kids ages 9, 6 and 3. And as context, I spent MANY years as first a hostess, then a waitress in HS and college - - so I certainly get living on tips.

On past cruises (RC, Carnival), I always did my own tipping - no auto charge for service fee. We often put a DND sign on the room so it not usually cleaned each day. Breakfast is a buffet, lunch is a buffet or the hamburger stand and so the main reason I'm tipping is dinner service. So for my family of 5, $65 seems very excessive.

I'd say I agree, but maybe the rest of the bunch will misunderstand you and call you names all day instead of me?

So the Buffett servers and staff working in that area don't deserve to share in the Tip pool???

<giggle> :rolleyes:

Just as I thought, incapable to carry on a conversation. This is a discussion forum. I'm all about discussing my opinions and ideas. If the best you can do is click on smiley faces and be nasty to people I guess, really, I just pity you.

Maybe.....just maybe.......in the past when we all left envelopes those people 'tipped out' the behind the scenes people.

Harriet

Started cruising in the 70's and in the days of the "envelope" there was a pooling of tips on some lines and a complex method of tipping certain behind the scenes people (support staff like buss boys in dining rooms, etc). The system of the tipping envelopes pretty much stopped in an attempt to make the system more fair to crew members in a supporting role.

This information is from two family members who worked on cruise ships. And there explanation of how it worked. They were never part of any tipping pool.

So the Buffett servers and staff working in that area don't deserve to share in the Tip pool???

Nor I guess does the Cabin Steward even though he/her has to get the room ready before you embark and probably needs to take more time to get it ready after you disembark, because you do not allow him/her to do their job on a daily basis and more cleaning will be necessary.

Can you, or can you not, at your discretion ask that this service charge modified? NCL says you may do so.

You are so consistently not answering the question asked that the only conclusion we can draw is that you are unable to.

I will try one last time. The question is simple. Have a look at it a few times if you still can't grasp it.

Can you please show is one place where NCL state that you can remove the DSC IN ORDER TO TIP PEOPLE INDIVIDUALLY?

Did you notice that last bit? That means that just pointing out that you can remove the DSC is not an answer to that question, as NCL's FAQs specifically state that you can remove them if you have an unresolved service issue. That isn't the same thing.

I won't hold my breath waiting for you to provide the proof.

You are so consistently not answering the question asked that the only conclusion we can draw is that you are unable to.

I will try one last time. The question is simple. Have a look at it a few times if you still can't grasp it.

Can you please show is one place where NCL state that you can remove the DSC IN ORDER TO TIP PEOPLE INDIVIDUALLY?

Did you notice that last bit? That means that just pointing out that you can remove the DSC is not an answer to that question, as NCL's FAQs specifically state that you can remove them if you have an unresolved service issue. That isn't the same thing.

I won't hold my breath waiting for you to provide the proof.

But don't you understand, she tips more?

But don't you understand, she tips more?

Apparently so, yes.

To be honest, I don't really care about that. I just think that if you come on a public message board criticising people for not having proof of what they say then you really need to be able to back up your points.

If you state something which is incorrect then it's really best to just admit it. Otherwise you start to look very silly very quickly. :)

Apparently so, yes.

To be honest, I don't really care about that. I just think that if you come on a public message board criticising people for not having proof of what they say then you really need to be able to back up your points.

If you state something which is incorrect then it's really best to just admit it. Otherwise you start to look very silly very quickly. :)

I know :D

Just trying to add some humor.

Twice she has quoted my post and then twisted the words to suit her already foregone conclusion.

Then she asks for proof, but cannot provide any herself.

I actually think the justification about the overall level of tipping is quite entertaining. As I understand it, it is fine to do some people out of money as long as the total amount that you tip is more.

Perhaps she should try it in real life and see how it works out. She could take a taxi to a restaurant and then have a meal. Work out how much the total tip for the restaurant and the taxi journey are and then add $5. She could then explain to the waiter that she has decided not to tip them anything, but it's all OK, because the taxi driver is going to get a load, making the total tip more.

She could then ask the waiter how reasonable her scheme is.

Are your three kids going to be partaking in any Kids Club activities each day? Are there crew members working in these areas to watch the kids, or is it just a kid free for all? Are you planning on tipping, daily, each crew member that works in the Kids Club areas?

Those buffets...does the food cook itself? Do the dishes clean themselves?

I think you get the idea. There is a reason that its not called "daily gratuities." Its a "Daily Service Charge." Meaning you are paying, daily, for the services you receive from the crew. That doesn't just mean your room steward and dinner waiter. It means every member of the crew that works to service you each and every day. The vast majority of which, you never see.

You have 3 kids, and you are essentially going to have multiple hours each day where they are essentially going to be watched and taken care of for you. You know how much daycare costs for 3 kids each day? Or even a babysitter for a few hours each day for 3 kids? Let alone all the other workers doing other things for you. $65 a day for a family of 5 aint that bad at all.

Are your three kids going to be partaking in any Kids Club activities each day? Are there crew members working in these areas to watch the kids, or is it just a kid free for all? Are you planning on tipping, daily, each crew member that works in the Kids Club areas?

Actually, the kids club staff are specifically excluded from the DSC.