daily service charge

megann831

I see that there's a promo at the moment that pays the DSC for the first 2 pax. How does that work then? How does NCL give the money that you haven't actually paid to the crew who were serving you on the ship?

I should hope that NCL will direct part of the cruise fare to the service charge fund, but at this point there's no way of knowing whether or not that will happen.

I should hope that NCL will direct part of the cruise fare to the service charge fund, but at this point there's no way of knowing whether or not that will happen.

There is no way of knowing that NCL pays out all of the DSC to the crew either. Why does everyone spend so much energy trying second guess how NCL runs their business?

Every time I have been aboard an NCL ship the crew seems incredibly happy. So, that would lead me to believe that NCL is not screwing their employees.

There is no need to hope for that.

It is clear that the DSC is how the crew gets paid, everyone understands this and only a toad would decide that not paying the DSC is acceptable.

I see that there's a promo at the moment that pays the DSC for the first 2 pax. How does that work then? How does NCL give the money that you haven't actually paid to the crew who were serving you on the ship?

More important question! What do the people who think it's better to remove the DSC and supposedly tip in cash do? Oh, the quandary of it all!! :p

Edited by Out to sea!

There is no need to hope for that.

It is clear that the DSC is how the crew gets paid, everyone understands this and only a toad would decide that not paying the DSC is acceptable.

Perhaps you misread or meant to quote an actual toad. I never suggested that anyone should remove the service charge. :cool:

Again, I'm optimistic that NCL won't ask the crew to "take one for the team" with this promotion. But it wouldn't be shocking if they did. *shrug*

Why does everyone spend so much energy trying second guess how NCL runs their business?

It isn't inappropriate for consumers to take an interest in business practices. And it isn't wrong to prefer more transparency.

(However, it does strike me as funny that you replied. So you don't care to know the details of employee compensation, but you care enough about the subject to post a rebuke to those who do? :rolleyes:)

It isn't inappropriate for consumers to take an interest in business practices. And it isn't wrong to prefer more transparency.

(However, it does strike me as funny that you replied. So you don't care to know the details of employee compensation, but you care enough about the subject to post a rebuke to those who do? :rolleyes:)

Do you also worry about how your cable guy is compensated? How about the check out clerk at the grocery store? Bank teller? :rolleyes:

Do you also worry about how your cable guy is compensated? How about the check out clerk at the grocery store? Bank teller? :rolleyes:

LOL.

No cable. I bank at ATMs. But yes, I actually do care about my grocery clerks. However, they belong to a union, so I'm not too terribly worried. Thanks for asking though.

SMH, what a depressing world I live in, where it's seen as a character flaw if one takes an interest in the working conditions of fellow human beings.

LOL.

No cable. I bank at ATMs. But yes, I actually do care about my grocery clerks. However, they belong to a union, so I'm not too terribly worried. Thanks for asking though.

SMH, what a depressing world I live in, where it's seen as a character flaw if one takes an interest in the working conditions of fellow human beings.

When I was growing up, what you call "if one takes an interest in the working conditions of fellow human beings." everyone I know would call being nosy.

LOL.

When you care enough to learn and know how it works, it is easier to ignore the uninformed opinionated posts.

When you care enough to learn and know how it works, it is easier to ignore the uninformed opinionated posts.

Most of us are uninformed about the compensation procedures of private businesses because it isn't any of our business. Except for nosy people I guess. :rolleyes:

Edited by Out to sea!

Most of us are uninformed about the compensation procedures of private businesses because it isn't any of our business. Except for nosy people I guess. :rolleyes:

If you eliminate the need to guess, it becomes easier to understand. Information is the cure for guesswork. That solves a lot of problems, but takes more effort than guesswork.

NCLH is a public corporation -- It is not private.

Edited by swedish weave

Based on your posting history you sure appear to have an interest in what others decide to do with their time and money. Isn't that being nosy?

If you eliminate the need to guess, it becomes easier to understand. Information is the cure for guesswork. That solves a lot of problems, but takes more effort than guesswork.

NCLH is a public corporation -- It is not private.

NCL is a privately owned business. It is publicly traded on the stock exchange. That is the only thing public about it.

There is no need to guess what-so-ever. Pay the posted and expected DSC and don't worry about the rest. The only guessing done is by people who think they know better than NCL on how to pay their employees.

Edited by Out to sea!

Based on your posting history you sure appear to have an interest in what others decide to do with their time and money. Isn't that being nosy?

Hardly if you're comparing people breaking rules/laws with employee compensation methods. Maintaining rules/laws keep people and society safe.

Funny how you're soooooo interested in my posting history. I would think most people would have something better to do than read someone else's old posts. :D

Edited by Out to sea!

Hardly if you're comparing people breaking rules/laws with employee compensation methods. Maintaining rules/laws keep people and society safe.

Funny how you're soooooo interested in my posting history. I would think most people would have something better to do than read someone else's old posts. :D

I don't read your old posts. I just remember some of the things you've said as they were particularly...odd. They really stuck out. If I found out I was ever on a ship with you I'd alert security for the safety of my family due to your extreme, as you label it, nosiness into the private matters of strangers and your misguided power complex. Keep Smiling!

That said you have posted your thoughts on the optional service charge numerous times. No need to berate people constantly. Seems simple to me. Get on the ship. Leave DSC on. If you get great service add cash. If you get lousy service remove the optional service charge. Very simple. Enjoy your birthday cruise next month

Edited by LMaxwell

Some people don't want to give money to businesses that don't treat their employees fairly. It's not nosy to want to know what businesses you are supporting do with their money. It's the businesses choice whether they are transparent about it or not, just as it's our choice as a consumer whether we support them or not. Caring about the people that make your food, mix your drinks, clean your room, and keep you safe isn't a personality flaw. If you are content being ignorant about where your dollar goes after you pay for your cruise, then all power to you.

Some people don't want to give money to businesses that don't treat their employees fairly. It's not nosy to want to know what businesses you are supporting do with their money. It's the businesses choice whether they are transparent about it or not, just as it's our choice as a consumer whether we support them or not. Caring about the people that make your food, mix your drinks, clean your room, and keep you safe isn't a personality flaw. If you are content being ignorant about where your dollar goes after you pay for your cruise, then all power to you.

I deal with lots of companies, and I have no idea of the arrangements that they have come to with their employees. Those are private details that are between the company and the employee and are none of my business.

I would rather not do business with companies who treat their employees badly, but I am obviously limited in the information that I have about this. There are a few things which we can do to give us an idea though, without prying into peoples personal details. Firstly, do they have a lot of long term employees (NCL doesn't seem to do badly on that score), do the staff generally appear happy in their work (again, in my experience, NCL does quite well here), are there stories in the public domain about bad conditions (once again, not to my knowledge).

Personally, I don't consider it my business to pry any further than that, any more than I would ask anyone else that I interact with what they earn, or what their conditions are.

This is no indication as to how much I care about the staff who work for NCL. I just think that there are many people far better placed than me to look after them.

NCL is a privately owned business. It is publicly traded on the stock exchange. That is the only thing public about it.

Waaaay out in left field !!!!!

How so? What Out to Sea said was perfectly accurate.

Government agencies & Crown Corporations are "public companies". The rest are publicly-traded private corporations.

And remember, corporations are people.

And people have privacy rights.

:)

Government agencies & Crown Corporations are "public companies". The rest are publicly-traded private corporations.

When Warren Buffet bought the BNSF railway the release said he was "taking it private"

Maybe it is just terminology, but not worth arguing about.

Sorry that's incorrect.

This is from an investor publication.

A:

Privately-held companies are - no surprise here - privately held. This means that, in most cases, the company is owned by the company's founders, management or a group of private investors. A public company, on the other hand, is a company that has sold a portion of itself to the public via an initial public offering of some of its stock, meaning shareholders have claim to part of the company's assets and profits.

One of the biggest differences between the two types of companies deals with public disclosure. If it's a public U.S. company, which means it is trading on a U.S. stock exchange, it is typically required to file quarterly earnings reports (among other things) with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). This information is also made available to shareholders and the public. Private companies, however, are not required to disclose their financial information to anyone since they do not trade stock on a stock exchange.

The main advantage public companies have is their ability to tap the financial markets by selling stock (equity) or bonds (debt) to raise capital (i.e. cash) for expansion and projects. The main advantage to private companies is that management doesn't have to answer to stockholders and isn't required to file disclosure statements with the SEC. However, a private company can't dip into the public capital markets and must therefore turn to private funding, which can boost the cost of capital and may limit expansion. It has been said often that private companies seek to minimize the tax bite, while public companies seek to increase profits for shareholders.

The popular misconception is that privately-held companies are small and of little interest. In fact, there are many big-name companies that are also privately held - check out the Forbes.com list of the largest private companies in 2006.

(For further reading on this subject, check out Policing The Securities Market: An Overview Of The SEC.)

TAGS:

Capital Market IPO

Ads

2015's Biggest IPOs

moneymorningresearch.com

Here's a list of 8 IPOs for every investor + 3 to avoid like poison.

Best Penny Stock To Buy

http://www.fortunestockalerts.com

Our Newsletter Provides Organized Info On The Best Penny Stock To Buy

What's it really worth?

http://www.stratgrow.com

Get a Fast and Accurate valuation. Try our no-cost value assessment.

License Content Order Reprints RELATED FAQS

Q: What's the difference between a capital market and the stock market?

A: Learn about the differences between stock market and capital market. Identify several important stock markets and understand ... Q: What are the most unsuccessful tech IPOs of all-time?

A: Learn about theGlobe.com, eToys, Shanda Games and Vonage, some of the most unsuccessful tech IPOs of all time, and why their ... Q: What are examples of risks for all underwriter types?

A: Learn about the risks faced by different types of underwriting activity. Explore specific examples of risks faced by insurance ... Q: What is the difference between an IPO and a private placement?

A: Learn the differences between private placements and initial public offerings that companies use to raise capital through ... RELATED TERMS

Market Value The price an asset would fetch in the marketplace. Market value ... Bulldog Market A nickname for the foreign bond market of the United Kingdom. ... Float Shrink A reduction in the number of a publicly traded company’s shares ... Capital Strike A refusal of businesses to invest in a particular sector of the ... Gray Market An unofficial market where securities are traded. Gray (or “grey”) ... Floating Stock The number of shares available for trading of a particular stock. You May Also Like

Millennials Are Completely Broke

Safest Dividend Stocks In The Market

U.S. Debt by President

Will Gold Coins Suffer the Fate of the $10,000 Bill?

11 Ways to Make Money Without Doing Anything

Outrageous Celebrity Appearance Fees

Where You Need To Invest In 2015

How To Negotiate A Lower Price On Anything

Reading over the last couple pages of posts it seems like there is some real confusion that could be easily resolved if everyone could understand that NCL and NCLH are not the same entity. Sorry to the person who said it was, but NCL is NOT traded on the public stock exchange. That would be NCLH.