VPN on the ships?

palaemon

I don't think they block it, but it would be really expensive to use on the ship's internet service. It would probably depend on your client set up.

The RCI site says this:

"Group Internet Package Pricing

Group discounts are available for internet packages. You can request prices based on the number of guests and minutes needed. In addition please be sure to discuss your bandwidth and VPN requirements in advance with your Royal Caribbean Sales & Service team to ensure your connectivity requirements are met once onboard."

Tom

Makes sense. I tend to run with VPN off (Cisco) as much as I can because it tends to slow things down and service on a ship is already pretty slow, but there are times when you need to access resources or have as much security as possible.

But... dude you're on vacation. Tell them you can't connect. :)

Tom

Thanks Tom. I was just checking. VPN doesn't cost anything to use it on the ship. We already have a service, so we could just turn it on if we felt we needed the privacy.

We are not techie people so apologize up front....

My husband has an intl plan on his work phone. Will it be possible to use his phone as a hot spot and connect our lap top and/or tablet to get wi fi service? We've done this domestically while traveling, but have not tried while cruising.

Was hoping to connect while in port each day for just 10-15 min to make sure the house hasn't burned down and the office hasn't gone to he!! in a hand basket!

Thanks.

My husband has an intl plan on his work phone. Will it be possible to use his phone as a hot spot and connect our lap top and/or tablet to get wi fi service? We've done this domestically while traveling, but have not tried while cruising.

Was hoping to connect while in port each day for just 10-15 min to make sure the house hasn't burned down and the office hasn't gone to he!! in a hand basket!

Thanks.

You would have to contact your cell carrier and ask if your international plan includes data at sea.

A VPN could slow things down if they use accelerator products to reduce satellite bandwidth.

Previous job we used Riverbed appliances between the U.S. and our overseas offices which caches blocks of data locally so it doesn't need to be transmitted over the satellite twice. Unfortunately if encrypted the tech doesn't really work the same since it can't "see" the data is the same.

Edited by JasonV1

• 2 years later...

Thanks.

In port, yes, it would be subject to the limits of his international data plan. Or just find a wifi hot spot to use.

At sea, no, you would still be charged for Cellular at Sea services. So an internet package would make more sense.