Are crew no longer required to speak English in public areas?

Catlover54

If nothing else, it is good to be in the habit of communicating in English in case of emergency.

I agree - it is extremely important for all the crew to have a common language. There have been some notable disasters at sea when the crew was not able to commuincate with each other.

We have learned a few words of Tagolog and the Filipino crew is so pleased when we greet them in their native language.

I agree - it is extremely important for all the crew to have a common language. There have been some notable disasters at sea when the crew was not able to commuincate with each other.

We have learned a few words of Tagolog and the Filipino crew is so pleased when we greet them in their native language.

Would this principle obtain for the captain and senior officers? They frequently have lunch together in Terrace and speak with one another in animated Italian. This has never troubled me in the least. Just as I am not troubled by the fact that some lower ranking crew speak with each other in their first language. But now that I see that this linguistic matter may lead to nautical disaster, I am chastened.

Edited by Observer

Clearly, having a lingua franca for the crew is essential. I just don't see why that precludes their talking to each other in any other language at times when they are not directly addressing customers. Having said that, if the ships' rules state that they must only speak English in public areas - no matter how daft that rule strikes me - then I am surprised that it is not enforced.

Silversea are simply trying to make the experience better - and indeed safer - for most of their customers.

In recognising that the shortest cruises are around a week and the longest very long indeed, and that passengers feel that the ship becomes their temporary "home from home" this is a genuine attempt by SS to improve that exprience by making the ship feel more like home.

Although Mandarin is the language in most common world-wide usage, English in all it's forms is the most common language for SS customers. Some people aren't clearly at all impressed or bothered by this effort, but I'm not clear anyone could be offended by it. Others think it a welcome effort. I think it a great idea.

When I've been away from home for a while, I feel I'm "almost home" when I hear those lovely English voices when boarding a BA plane. I think many think of the ship as being home when boarding after a day taking in the sights. SS are simply trying to make the majority of it's customers feel more at home and I think they are right to try.

Apart from that "Seaspeak" ie the international maritime language - particularly important when there are emergencies at sea - is English and from a safety aspect encouraging all crew particularly the more junior members to practise English as much as possible is something worthwhile as it increases safety when it is most needed.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Silversea are simply trying to make the experience better - and indeed safer - for most of their customers.

In recognising that the shortest cruises are around a week and the longest very long indeed, and that passengers feel that the ship becomes their temporary "home from home" this is a genuine attempt by SS to improve that exprience by making the ship feel more like home.

Although Mandarin is the language in most common world-wide usage, English in all it's forms is the most common language for SS customers. Some people aren't clearly at all impressed or bothered by this effort, but I'm not clear anyone could be offended by it. Others think it a welcome effort. I think it a great idea.

When I've been away from home for a while, I feel I'm "almost home" when I hear those lovely English voices when boarding a BA plane. I think many think of the ship as being home when boarding after a day taking in the sights. SS are simply trying to make the majority of it's customers feel more at home and I think they are right to try.

Apart from that "Seaspeak" ie the international maritime language - particularly important when there are emergencies at sea - is English and from a safety aspect encouraging all crew particularly the more junior members to practise English as much as possible is something worthwhile as it increases safety when it is most needed.

Jeff

I think Jeff has put this entire matter in perspective, Bravo.

I have worked in hotel management for years, and the English-only policy has applied to any hotel I have worked for. This is nothing new or unique to SS. It's proper to have a standard language spoken at all times. English-speaking guests don't want to walk by a group of laughing housekeeping women all speaking Spanish, for example. It's unprofessional and awkward. It's a way maintain a consistent, professional and uniform approach to guest areas. Now, enforcing it is a whole different thing, but the policy is there.

Michael

The Filipinos now run the Silversea ships. It was years ago I saw a newly-on-board French female Maitre ‘d try to get a Filipino waiter to do something and she hadn’t yet learned she had to do this through the head Filipino in the Dining Room. It was a bit sad watching it, so I went elsewhere.

Recently, I had only limited time to get off the Silver Explorer to get to the airport and the Filipino gangplank crew had decided there was a reason for a Go-Slow and, boy, did they know how to do it.

And, when we eventually got down on the wharf, the Expedition Staff, and only them, were taking off the luggage and then helping you to your taxi with it. Not one Filipino on the wharf. Even my wife, who never notices such things, was asking me...

One night, in the Bar, the European bartender, who really and truly knew his stuff, made me a Scotch and Soda. Simple. One is to three, over ice. A new-on-board teenage Filipino was given it to bring over to our table. While standing less than five feet from the bartender, I saw him look at it and then reach into a dish where cherries and slices of orange and lemon and olives were kept and, after giving it some thought, obviously decided a slice of lemon was needed and picked one out and, while the bartender could but watch on, put in on the rim of my Scotch and Soda. The look on the young fellows face told all: If I want to do it, I can. I have a photo of what arrived. The only thing to do was to wonder in the only-ever such Scotch and Soda.

The next night, a couple ordered two tall drinks and went to a table, having their backs to the Bar. The European bartender took care to make these and they did indeed look superb when he gave them to Mr Insolent to take over; but who looked at the two drinks and (and this was a bit gobsmacking) decided it was time to go out the back, and so just left them there. There was no other waiter. The European bartender could do nothing. The couple were turning their heads back to see what had happened to their order but their sitting-there drinks were out of view. There was no-one else but us in the Bar. I waited as long as could bear it and went and got the tray and, to much thanks, served them.

There are lots more, but it’s not much fun typing more of this. One of you may Post: Well, if you don’t like it, don’t sail Silversea! Well, I don’t think anything could get us back on board.

This is really sad, Alipius. Without doubt Filipino staff cost the line considerably less than 'European' staff - and they must know it, and some will be resentful. Last time we travelled Silversea - about 4 years ago - nearly all the wait staff were Filipino, but cheerful and willing, and generally efficient. One chap, who was certainly very good at his job, and charming, rather upset us on the last evening and next morning by making it completely obvious he hoped for a tip. This has never happened on this type of line before or since to us.

I probably should not admit this, but one reason we prefer Seabourn is that pretty well all the staff you deal with are other than Filipino - and generally well educated, with very good English. I hope I am allowed to add that they are not all 'white' by any means, always several from South Africa and the Indian subcontinent. They all seem to get on well with each other, and take pride in their work. I like to think that they are well paid by cruise line standards.

Isn't the main issue now that these staff are not employed directly by Silversea and therefore presumably Silversea cannot fire them? They can only terminate a contract.

They report to other junior supervisory contractor staff who presumably takes direction from an SS employee who effectively has no disciplinary authority.

That approach saves SS cash but also will likely compromise standards and quality and consistency.

Isn't the main issue now that these staff are not employed directly by Silversea and therefore presumably Silversea cannot fire them? They can only terminate a contract.

They report to other junior supervisory contractor staff who presumably takes direction from an SS employee who effectively has no disciplinary authority.

That approach saves SS cash but also will likely compromise standards and quality and consistency.

Most crew have been employed by their "Agencies" for years, so this is nothing new.

You say Silversea cannot fire them, only terminate their contact. Isn't this the same thing?

Most crew have been employed by their "Agencies" for years, so this is nothing new.

You say Silversea cannot fire them, only terminate their contact. Isn't this the same thing?

1 I didn't say it was new.

2. No terminating a contract is different from firing an individual member of a crew you emply. Surprised you can't tell the difference.

When the scotch and soda arrived with the lemon slice i would have sent told the waiter to take it back, and leave off the lemon slice. I don't think this has anything to do with nationality, rather it's more of a power play and if they are forced to do twice the work they might reconsider.

I have my concerns about the way Silversea is moving. It seems no longer to be the wonderful cruise line I loved and on which I spent hundreds of nights. But my concerns have little or nothing to do with the staff, who I think do an extraordinary job under difficult circumstances. I find the direction of this thread and the distain/contempt for some of the staff to be very disheartening.

I have my concerns about the way Silversea is moving. It seems no longer to be the wonderful cruise line I loved and on which I spent hundreds of nights. But my concerns have little or nothing to do with the staff, who I think do an extraordinary job under difficult circumstances. I find the direction of this thread and the distain/contempt for some of the staff to be very disheartening.

I don't think you need to be "very disheartened" by the direction of the thread showing disdain and contempt towards the staff because there hasn't been any.

:)

When the scotch and soda arrived with the lemon slice i would have sent told the waiter to take it back, and leave off the lemon slice. I don't think this has anything to do with nationality, rather it's more of a power play and if they are forced to do twice the work they might reconsider.

last cruise on SS i did order a Negroni and there were still no oranges yet -it was 11.30 AM

the bartender - Philippino - put a slice of lemon in it ( what is sometimes done ) and a cherry - because it is very bitter he said ???

another story : i like Absolut wodka - so i asked for a Bloody Mary with Absolut - reply : Bloody Mary is made with Sky ...

OK details ...

Yes! Now I understand. The actions described can be directly attributed to the fact that the actors were Filipino. Europeans would never make such mistakes or act in such ways. Why was I so slow to pick up on this obvious reality?

Yes! Now I understand. The actions described can be directly attributed to the fact that the actors were Filipino. Europeans would never make such mistakes or act in such ways. Why was I so slow to pick up on this obvious reality?

Mentioning the people were Filipino is a statement of fact not a cause for offence.

If you seek to find excuses to be offended, then you will find them I promise. Everyone these days seems to be looking for stuff to claim that they have been offended. It is a way of curtailing sensible argument. It is easier to upgrade your threshold than try to change the rest of the world.

ps. I hate Indian call centres.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Any mention of nationality these days causes someone offence, sadly. On these fora it could be either about fellow passengers or crew/staff. It is like treading on eggshells to venture an opinion, so generally I have decided to keep quiet.

I also hate Indian call centres - this is purely because I am a bit deaf, and the caller hard to understand, so I have to ask them to repeat things often. I hate this because they are invariably charming and patient, and I feel like an insulting idiot. OK?

I think we have discussed this before but I am offended by people pretending to be offended when they are losing arguments or wish to gain control.

It seems to me that amongst the many horrible trends that have newly entered our cultures is how quickly the bar at which people claim to be offended about something someone else says or does seems to have dropped - and how quickly this bar seems to me to continue to drop.

I still use my old rule that if someone didn't intend to offend then I have no real justification in being offended. It is the intent to hurt and cause offense that is offensive not the words used or something said in innocence or error or simple ignorance or clumsiness. We belittle ourselves if we don't forgive faux pas. That level at which being offended is claimed is a bar to me that seems to be dropping daily. A lot of it is contrived and feigned in order to win an exchange by indignantly claiming a foul. It has become an abused tool of argument.

It appears to me to be a new way of some exercising control over others., particularly as here in an internet thread. You see someone say something that you didn't feel was either offensive of intended to be offensive and someone holds up the "I am offended" card" or in this case "I am disheartened" card. The person accused realising that what they then do will reflect on them concedes and apologises. Game lost for one and won by the other.

But resorting to the offended card is both dangerous to us all because we are now not allowed to say almost anything without someone saying somewhere and holding up the enraged "I am offended" card. This stifles the fluidity of communication and stops us getting anywhere close to stuff we need to debate and discuss in society. It makes society more dangerous.

From Stephen Fry (edited for CC):

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so {beep} what."

From Stephen Fry (edited for CC):

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so {beep} what."

Quite right. People use to say "I find you irritating" now they say "I find you offensive". I find that offensive.

Discouraging, disenheartening, disappointing, dystopian, call it what you will -- this thread gives me pause. If staff aren't performing up to par, that is a Silversea issue (contract or not) rather than country of origin and Silversea needs must address it. It is Silversea management that deserves your scorn. The initial language discussion here has devolved.

Our first Silversea cruise is the Amazon in November. May it please this board, we hope to find copacetic cruisers aboard.